PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a car for my wife, need opinions.

ZMan2k2
11-03-2006, 10:12 AM
So my wife and I are looking for a second car. The price we are looking at is around $5k. I've been searching the autotrader and other places, and there are some decent looking cars around, but I'd like to know other's opinions on them, especially those who own or have owned ones like them. Thanks.

What we're looking for is a 4-dr with auto trans. She'd like some power options, but not necessary, A/C isn't necessary either. Dependability is the main concern. So we don't want it falling apart on us. I can turn some wrenches, but some major work, like trans. repair or such is not an option for me. So does anyone have any information to share on the following models? Or other suggestions would be helpful too.

Links below.

94 Nissan Altima (http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=22682491)
97 Nissan Altima (http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=23618629&pgno=10&srt=1)
98 Neon (http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=24174982&pgno=17&srt=1)
89 BMW 525i (http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=24421167&pgno=18&srt=1)

Tik-Tok
11-03-2006, 10:20 AM
I would scratch the Neon off your list those things go through head gaskets like oil filters.

Mr_ET
11-03-2006, 10:21 AM
Out of all the ones here I would suggest the 94 altima it is low kms for that year. the 97 model probably has higher kilometers.

stay away from any neons 95-99 they are very unreliable as any car guide could tell you. They have a horrible track record.

The bimmer will be very expensive to work on and is quite old.

I would like at older sentras, mazda proteges and possibly civics if you can find a decent one for that price.

anything for 5k will never offer the reliability of a new car or newer pre owned.

Best advice is whatever you choose make sure to get it inspected and do a lean check on it with a registration office to make sure the previous owner does not owe anything.

You will find that american cars will be newer for the price because of bad resale value. before that lures you in ask yourself why they have a bad resale value in the first place..

HRD2PLZ
11-03-2006, 10:25 AM
What about a 94-ish Camry or 96-ish Corolla. Would be a nice compliment to your Taco :D

Corolla will probably be pretty basic, but they are pretty stellar in terms of reliability. And IMO, you can almost never go wrong with a Camry, you might even luck out and find one with a few of the power options. In some of the 92+ models you can probably also find the V6.

Something to consider anyway...

I would scratch the BMW (age and cost of repair/maintenance) and most definitely the Neon off of your list. Nissan Altima's are good cars, I have a couple friend's with them and they are pretty solid. The 94-ish ones hold up very weill in a side impact collision :nut:

Weapon_R
11-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Stay away from the Neon and the BMW. The neon isnt a car you want your wife driving (unreliable) and bmws are worse.

I'd go with the newer altima. Its a good car for the money. I would also look at some 94-96 accords, I believe they are under 5k also.

98brg2d
11-03-2006, 10:27 AM
I can't comment on the Nissans or BMW but for the Neon, make sure it has the mls head gasket (if you get it inspected at a Dodge dealer they should be able to tell you). The serivce life of the older style composite head gasket is 160,000 km (same as timing belt and waterpump and tensioners) but in my car it lasted to 43,000 km.

Neon engines suffer from a lot of piston slap so check a cold start for noise. Piston slap doesn't affect power, fuel economy or reliability but it is annoying.

If you test drive it really pay attention to the shifting. Make sure to take it to highway speeds (120 km/h) since Neons suffer bad vibrations when wheels are not balanced or front control arm bushings need to be replaced.

One nice thing about Neons is they are relatively easy to work on and there is a huge community of enthusiasts at neons.org and neoncanada.com to help with issues.

The price on that car is also very high compared to other models of similar mileage and year but if it is in excellent condition it may be warranted.

Lo)2enz0
11-03-2006, 11:23 AM
why not look into a civic?

reliable, great on gas and easy to maintain

jasonrx-7
11-03-2006, 11:32 AM
I have a 2000 Dodge Caravan
It has amazing gas milaege
It is actually my step moms van, she just drove it to and from the train station, and to pick up my sisters from school
There are new tires, struts/shocks, brakes, tune-up, oil change
It has 157,XXX kms... and in awesome condition
They drove the van from Calgary-Osoyoos B.C on 1 tank of gas.
It is a very dark purple on grey cloth interior
Fully loaded
They are asking $5,000 OBO
Please PM me or email me [email protected]

natejj
11-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Why not Civic or accord? I think Alitma wins out of that list..... what about a Plymouth Acclaim? Cheap parts.... easy to fix...

Sky
11-03-2006, 12:58 PM
1994-95 Honda Accord EX-R...awesome car, great reliability and I drive a 94.:thumbsup:

whodiman
11-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Neon a definite no no. Head gaskets.

97 Altima is probably well over the $5000 price range even with high kms

94 Altima. If you have noticed, most people on this website sell their 94 Altima with 260km on here and they still want $5000. So if you find with with less KM you'll probably be paying closer to 7000. However, if you're willing to spend a bit more money go with the Altima.

soupey
11-03-2006, 02:24 PM
go for an older camry or accord...or civic...rock solid reliability

98brg2d
11-03-2006, 02:46 PM
I think there is some misinformation about Neon head gaskets and Neons in general here. If it has the mls gasket (some '98s and all '99s had from factory, along with the ones that were replaced) you should never have any unusual head gasket problems. It is the same as any car that blows a head gasket- if you drive it with a blown gasket you always risk warping the head or block and having further issues with sealing, even if you deck everything. The '98 and '99 neons have very few problems and are very reliable (go check carpoint if you don't believe me).

The car pictured has a SOHC engine which was used from '95 to '05 and after '98 had virtually no issues (after the head gasket change). This is why you never hear anything bad about 2nd gen Neons, same engine, almost the same transmissions, very similar suspension but no reliability issues.

If you are truely looking for a class leading car in reliability none of those cars should be on your list but the '98 and newer Neons are certainly not ticking time bombs.

Just remember that you are looking at cars that are atleast eight years old and any one of them could have serious issues regardless of the reliability statistics for the model as a whole.

TNation
11-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Pm'd

jasonrx-7
11-03-2006, 04:42 PM
It is actually my step moms van, she just drove it to and from the train station, and to pick up my sisters from school
Fully loaded

Jynx
11-03-2006, 05:55 PM
2000 malibu
2000+ cavalier

fully loaded
cheap
reliable
easy to maintain

whiskas
11-03-2006, 06:08 PM
You can check to see if you have an MLS by looking through the intake manifold where the block and head meet, somewhere around the 2nd or 3rd cylinder there should be a small metal tab, about the size of a small fingernail sticking out with a little hole in it.

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Civics/accords, Honda's are great for reliability... Camry/Corolla, same deal. I personally wouldn't touch a neon with a 10 foot pole... but that's just me, obviously (as was said earlier) it depends on the car, when your looking at 8 years old, statistics just don't apply as much anymore.

3G
11-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by jasonrx-7
Fully loaded

i think he got the point the first time u posted it

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
Civics/accords, Honda's are great for reliability... Camry/Corolla, same deal. I personally wouldn't touch a neon with a 10 foot pole... but that's just me, obviously (as was said earlier) it depends on the car, when your looking at 8 years old, statistics just don't apply as much anymore.

:werd: my brother in law had a peon and the thing was such a pos

JCX
11-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by whodiman
Neon a definite no no. Head gaskets.

How much misinformation. The OEM organic head gasket was shit and died on nearly every Neon. The MLS replacement is not known for failing at all.

98s and 99s are pretty reliable. Mine 99 never once had any problem, other than the original head gasket being fixed under warrantee. I owned it for 7 years.

ZMan2k2
11-04-2006, 10:06 AM
Great info guys. It's nice finding out some inside information from others who have owned these types of cars. Keep the info coming all.:thumbsup:

85regal
11-04-2006, 12:10 PM
i have a 94 corolla and have owned it since new, never had a problem ever. only maintenance stuff. would recommend a corolla for sure..out of your list, the altima would be the top choice. I am a nissan tech, and only problems other then maintenance stuff is intake gaskets go on them and are labour intensive to replace, and distributors fail on the older models. other then that they are awesome. :thumbsup:

TNation
11-04-2006, 12:41 PM
did you get my PM?

euro_racer
11-04-2006, 12:57 PM
the altima is a great car, my parents used to own one back in the day and they were more than pleased with the car overall....very reliable and good on gas as well as very conftorable to be in

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: for either altima