PDA

View Full Version : $3000 in fines

AutodreamMarvin
05-05-2003, 05:34 PM
okay, so i got pulled over today for no insurance and registration. i have insurance and registration on my other car but it's not running. i end up getting hit with 3 tickets worth about $3000 and getting my car towed. ahh so frustrating. what was really shitty was the way the cop talked to me like i was nothing. really pissed me off. anyways, is there anyone who may be able to help me with what i should do about this? i am in no financial situation to be able to pay for this ticket. i have no job and a full-time student and my parents just bought a house so they won't be able to help me with this.
ahh well, i guess that's life. i guess i'll have to put off going to university next year.:(
anyways, any help that anyone could give me would be great.
thanks.

redline_13000
05-05-2003, 05:39 PM
shit man, that just happened to my friend 2 days ago, same exact thing.

kenny
05-05-2003, 05:41 PM
For a ticket that large, always worth talking to the crown about it.

StrokeD z
05-05-2003, 05:44 PM
donation to brbhpr anyone :thumbsup:

+AsiaN+
05-05-2003, 05:51 PM
damm that's shitty marvin!... i'd help u out bro but i aint even got a job.. and i'm broke as a joke...

cocoabrova
05-05-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by StrokeD z
donation to brbhpr anyone :thumbsup: :werd: Sorry to hear man, but like kenny said, see what the Crown can do for you, and give Pointts a call too.....

RGAGT
05-05-2003, 06:15 PM
Man that sucks I all most got won for no insurance on sat night after dinner pulled out of parkade cop pulls us over for tinted windows and I can't find the pink slip. thank good I was drinkin and a friend was driving so the cop let us off with a warning :D

darknight
05-05-2003, 06:51 PM
Well, when you get a no insurance ticket your automaticley assigned a court date and you have to be there to see what the fine will be. At least thats what happened to me. I'd suggest going to talk to Points. They will beable to help you the most since they know all the little scams to get fines decreased and charges changed or droped. I've used them a couple times and have had great results. I remember the days of driving a car with no insurance, and then getting caught! Lucky for you, it happened in town, I was driving on HWY 16 just west of Edson when I got caught and I ended up taking a 11hr bus ride home to Calgary and getting a 2400 fine. HEHEH won't do that again.:poosie:

Oh, BTY if you can't pay it, you can pay it in monthly instalments or if I remember correctley you can do community service to work off the fine. HAHA have fun with that!!:thumbsdow
Orrin

eclipse2000
05-05-2003, 06:58 PM
Dude, i got the same thing 2 months ago, no insurance, registration not renew, no proper registration(only the temp pink paper). I act like i was stupid and shit. he gave me 1 day to take care all that shit, he thought he could fine me because one day is not really enough, but i did get renew my insurance right that afternoon and get my registration done the next morning. But he still fucking ticket me 200$

kevie88
05-05-2003, 07:04 PM
I can't believe you guys would even think of driving with no insurance.. That's crazy!

T5Bird
05-05-2003, 07:09 PM
Consider yourself lucky, what would have happened if you crashed into an innocent family in their Minivan?? you think $3000 is bad, just think of the penalties of getting into an accident uninsured.:thumbsdow Very irresponsible and stupid, driving with no insurance!:banghead:

darknight
05-05-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by kevie88
I can't believe you guys would even think of driving with no insurance.. That's crazy!

Hey when your 18 and fresh outta high school and are expected to pay 600$ a month for insurance you think that no insurance is the better alternative. In the end I broke even since I had driven 4 or 5 months without insurance. But would I do it again, no. But when your young you don't always think of the negative outcomes like hitting someone and getting fucked for life!!!

THREE40SEVEN
05-05-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by T5Bird
Consider yourself lucky, what would have happened if you crashed into an innocent family in their Minivan?? you think $3000 is bad, just think of the penalties of getting into an accident uninsured.:thumbsdow Very irresponsible and stupid, driving with no insurance!:banghead:
Amen Brother:clap:

The easiest way out would have not have been driving an uninsured vehicle in the first place.

max_boost
05-05-2003, 07:18 PM
Sorry to hear!!

Maybe this will enlighten the rest of you guys out there who are considering driving without proper insurance/registration!! This is like the 4th case on Beyond within the last 2-3 months!!!

Were you speeding or anything? CAuse when I drove without insurance (the vehicle had paper work but my name wasn't on the actual policy) for a few months, I was obeying all traffic laws!! haha

AutodreamMarvin
05-05-2003, 07:21 PM
hmm... i always thought insurance transfered but i guess i was wrong. i had coverage on A car but since that car wasn't on the road i always thought it transfered. anyways, expensive lesson and thanks to all who helped, and to those who are merely relaying in my mind what just happened with stupid and irresponsible thrown in here and there... i hear you. but it doesn't need to be repeated over and over. it makes the message alot less effective and once is more than enough, actually the ticket is MORE than enough. anyways, thanks to all who helped. :thumbsup:

Redlyne_mr2
05-05-2003, 07:21 PM
Damn Marvin thast harsh Im sorry to hear that

Weapon_R
05-05-2003, 08:05 PM
Last I checked, you couldn't do community service...

My friend had an automatic court appearance for driving with a suspended licence, he asked the judge for community service and the judge stated that there was no longer that option available.

CrAzY_PLaYa
05-05-2003, 08:13 PM
shit man same thing happened 2 my dad before..but he used the 2 week switch-over thingy..(with the bill-of-sale)

Ben
05-05-2003, 08:21 PM
No insurance is no insurance, you dont have 14 days to insure a newly bought vehicle, you have 0 days and 0 seconds. It has to be insured allowing you; the named on the registration (unless your insurance allows multiple drivers) the ability to drive before it moves anywhere.

you have 14 days to register a vehicle which requires valid insurance to do this.

BigShow
05-05-2003, 08:41 PM
In terms of easing up your fines, it's as easy as this:

Originally posted by kenny
For a ticket that large, always worth talking to the crown about it.

12V
05-05-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Ben
No insurance is no insurance, you dont have 14 days to insure a newly bought vehicle, you have 0 days and 0 seconds. It has to be insured allowing you; the named on the registration (unless your insurance allows multiple drivers) the ability to drive before it moves anywhere.

you have 14 days to register a vehicle which requires valid insurance to do this.

not true, the same thing happened to me. the insurance ( aslong as its still valid) from my old car applied to my new car for 14 days till i had it transfered, I got the exact same tickets, all i had to do was show the crown my bill of sale. ... i still got screwed the towing charges though.

max_boost
05-05-2003, 09:36 PM
I don't get this 14days transfer thing.......

It must only apply to older vehicles? I am too lazy to dig up the actual law book, WHERE ARE YOU KENNY?!?! haha

But I agree with Benny, no insurance is no insurance, no registration is no registration, I don't understand this transfer thing.

As far as I know, every motor vehicle on the road being operated on the road should have both registration/insurance at all times.

max_boost
05-05-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by 12V

not true, the same thing happened to me. the insurance ( aslong as its still valid) from my old car applied to my new car for 14 days till i had it transfered, I got the exact same tickets, all i had to do was show the crown my bill of sale. ... i still got screwed the towing charges though.

But in your case, you had actual insurance documents, but not yet registered right?

Ben
05-05-2003, 09:41 PM
Right you got the same tickets but you still had to prove your case.

Whats the Moral?

1.8L
05-05-2003, 09:57 PM
12v
may i ask exactly how u got through that case, because my buddy fell into the same thing on sat, and his bill of sale doesnt have a date on it so hes going to stick a date and use the 14 day thing.

give me some tips plz on how u won the case.

Weapon_R
05-05-2003, 10:09 PM
Ok maybe you didn't understand.

The 14 day thing applies to driving an unregistered vehicle, not an uninsured vehicle.

When you buy a new vehicle, you have to insure it before you even bring it home. Switching insurance is as easy as making a quick phone call to your insurance company.

Again to prove this, use a previous example. If I were once driving a dodge omni, and paying minimal insurance, then sold it and bought a corvette and totalled it, do you think the insurance is going to cover me? NO, since I paid premiums that were based on the OMNI's value, not the vettes.

No insurance is no insurance, you dont have 14 days to insure a newly bought vehicle, you have 0 days and 0 seconds.

Summed it up nicely.

1.8L
05-05-2003, 10:17 PM
oh fuck thanks man

DSM Power
05-05-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by darknight

Hey when your 18 and fresh outta high school and are expected to pay 600$ a month for insurance you think that no insurance is the better alternative. In the end I broke even since I had driven 4 or 5 months without insurance. But would I do it again, no.
Glad to hear that. I personally have NO sympathy for anyone caught without insurance or registration. I paid my dues, why the hell shouldn't you? :guns: :thumbsdow

jaylo
05-05-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by DSM Power

Glad to hear that. I personally have NO sympathy for anyone caught without insurance or registration. I paid my dues, why the hell shouldn't you? :guns: :thumbsdow

Amen to that brother! It's unfair to other people

finboy
05-05-2003, 11:36 PM

Hey when your 18 and fresh outta high school and are expected to pay 600$ a month for insurance you think that no insurance is the better alternative. In the end I broke even since I had driven 4 or 5 months without insurance. But would I do it again, no. But when your young you don't always think of the negative outcomes like hitting someone and getting fucked for life!!! when i started driving my own car at 17 i was paying 320/month plpd under my parents name.

it was expensive, but thats the price of having a car, if you drive with no insurance you get no sympathy from me :thumbsdow

SI-vic
05-05-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by jaylo

Amen to that brother! It's unfair to other people

life is unfair aint it....

RiceCake
05-06-2003, 12:27 AM
Hmm... for my new car, I needed insurance before I could drive the car off the lot so to speak.

Insurance is one thing I sure as hell wouldn't want to screw around with... haha Remember Chris Rock: "they should just call insurance, In Case Shit.... " :rofl:

boi-alien
05-06-2003, 12:34 AM
you need to call your insurance company so that they're aware that you will be driving the car transfering the insurance over this can only be done for maximum 14 days, allowing you to get proper insurance and registration. otherwise you shouldn't be moving the car at all.

4wheeldrift
05-06-2003, 06:53 AM

Hey when your 18 and fresh outta high school and are expected to pay 600$ a month for insurance you think that no insurance is the better alternative. In the end I broke even since I had driven 4 or 5 months without insurance. But would I do it again, no. But when your young you don't always think of the negative outcomes like hitting someone and getting fucked for life!!! Excuse me? Where the hell are you guys getting your insurance? I was driving a mustang at 18 and I was not paying anywhere near $600 a month for insurance.

1.8L
05-06-2003, 08:31 AM
does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of those fucken charghes in court.

or ateast how to reduce them by quite a bit.

Ben
05-06-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by 1.8L

you didn't read the thread did you?

CrAzY_PLaYa
05-06-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by 1.8L

tell me exactly what happened and ill tell u what 2 do..ive been through this a couple times

AutodreamMarvin
05-06-2003, 05:31 PM
*update*
i got my car insured and registered today and notified them that the car is for sale and i will be re-insuring and re-registering my old car when this one is sold. i talked to pointts today and they told me that i may be able to get it reduced to $550 due to circumstance. i tried to talk to the crown but my ticket has not yet been processed.(takes 10-14 days)

my question is, i have had two prior convictions of driving without pink slips(had insurance but no proof) will that affect me?

oh btw, thanks all for helping me out :thumbsup:

B17a
05-07-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by brbHPR
[B
my question is, i have had two prior convictions of driving without pink slips(had insurance but no proof) will that affect me?

oh btw, thanks all for helping me out :thumbsup: [/B]

Oooo, that's not good. If I were a cold blooded crown prosecutor and saw that you've been hit twice already, I'd say "TFB" (too fuken bad). Sorry dude, but that may be the reality. I hope you've learned your very expensive lesson.

Weapon_R
05-07-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by brbHPR
*update*
i got my car insured and registered today and notified them that the car is for sale and i will be re-insuring and re-registering my old car when this one is sold. i talked to pointts today and they told me that i may be able to get it reduced to $550 due to circumstance. i tried to talk to the crown but my ticket has not yet been processed.(takes 10-14 days)

oh btw, thanks all for helping me out :thumbsup:

If I were any judge or prosecuter, the first thing that would have crossed my mind is:

Didn't you learn your lesson the first time around? Let alone a second and third time...

G
05-07-2003, 11:28 AM
I would be damn pissed if an ass hit me and he had no insurance. Driving is a privilege not a right. If you can't afford it then take the bus like other people.

Joe Malms
05-07-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by G
I would be damn pissed if an ass hit me and he had no insurance. Driving is a privilege not a right. If you can't afford it then take the bus like other people.

well said.

B17a
05-07-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by G

To this guy's credit here he claims he had insurance but just forgot to place the card in his car. But should have learned his lesson after the first two times, oh well. But if you're speaking in general, yeah death to those mofos without it!

max_boost
05-07-2003, 03:43 PM
I've had a couple tickets for driving with out proper insurance papers i.e. pink slip but this was when I was 16 and I didn't even know such a thing existed!!! :rofl:
I asked my parents and they had no idea what I was talking about :rofl: By the time they found it, I got the second ticket!! Frustrating!!!!

Dragon X
05-08-2003, 12:32 AM
theres a company that will fight your fine for you without you even showing up to court, it will cost you about 230 bucks though but i think it worth that, his success rate is almost 100%, i cant find the number or anything but ill try to get it up for you ASAP, unless you want to get it yourself the registry on 52nd and memorial dr. has a Pamphlet inside (enter and its on the table to the left) its a yellow one. very nice and pleasant to deal with these people too.

my-donair-tc
05-08-2003, 12:54 AM
Having insurance but forgetting the slip at home is one thing but not having insurance is something totally different. Usually the cops will know whether the vehicle is insured, and if not, they will make some effort to find out (calling the insurance company etc).

4CylFiero
05-09-2003, 04:25 PM
Man Let me just start with saying "You Bastard" (Inside joke don't get defensive for him) and i hope you get away with it, You know i got tagged with it all aswell and i had to pay out of my ass or get raped up the ass. If you get it remember to get it extended, pay it for 30 years or something.