PDA

View Full Version : GoodyearNordic vs WintermarkMagnaGrip

hash
11-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Hey,

I'm looking to get a new set of winter tires and I've narrowed it down to two that work well for me in terms of price (about $550 including steelies) and availability. This is what I have

Goodyear Nordic (http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443292357&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672509&bmUID=1162603488174) (Canadian Tire)

vs

Wintermark Magna Grip HT (http://www.walmart.ca/wps-portal/storelocator/InlineLargePreview.jsp?imageId=8175&lang=#LargePreview) (Kelly - goodyear subsidiary) @ Walmart.

I've heard that the CT Motomaster Nordic Ice tires were pretty good, but I couldn't seem to find any of them at the store. Discontinued? Or are the goodyear nordics the same thing but just rebranded?

Anyone used these tires and love/hate them? I couldn't find anything on google.

silvercivicsir
11-03-2006, 08:01 PM
the wal-mart tires are pretty good.. they last forever..

RobTheGob
11-03-2006, 10:12 PM
The Goodyear Nordics are quite different than the old Icetraks. I bought some last week and am *very* impressed with them. After a week of ice/snow, I'd buy them again in a minute.

Ice and snow traction is extremely good, they are full of sipes and have a very open design in the centre. They also have wide channels in a V pattern, that looks like they'll channel water and slush very well.

It won't surprise me if the only downside of them is that they wear down quickly, but that remains to be seen.

I saw references to the Goodyear Ultragrip 500 when I was searching around. That is apparently a tire sold by Goodyear in Northern Europe with a very similar tread pattern. No idea if the rubber compound is similar, though...

YMMV

Fuji
11-03-2006, 10:14 PM
the GY nordics are super loud an vibrate a bit.

redevil
11-03-2006, 10:24 PM
the walmart Magna grip ht are really good winter tires. I just installed them on my fiance's Cavalier. Really grips well on ice and snow. I'm very impressed with them.

But the service at the Walmart auto department SUCKS ass, but I guess that is what you pay for.

RobTheGob
11-04-2006, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Fuji
the GY nordics are super loud an vibrate a bit.

I found them to be considerably quieter than last years NRW's. I was very happy with the noise level from them and expected them to be louder.

RobTheGob
11-04-2006, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by redevil
the walmart Magna grip ht are really good winter tires. I just installed them on my fiance's Cavalier. Really grips well on ice and snow. I'm very impressed with them.

I looked at several tires at Walmart, but it appeared that the Nordics had more sipes and had a more aggressive block in the centre of the tire.

They were also over $20 cheaper each...