PDA

View Full Version : Allignment and wobble!! issues

jdm_eg6
11-04-2006, 01:17 AM
Hey two days ago i went over a curb pretty nicely because of a CRAZY icy corner. I swapped the bent front left rim with my rear left and put a spare winter on the rear rear left. and that got rid of 80% of the wobble i felt, i think my front right might also be bent too. Other than that and the OBVIOUSE allignment what else might have gone wrong? or should i just get those two things fixed and see if anything else feels wrong?

01RedDX
11-04-2006, 01:24 AM

jdm_eg6
11-04-2006, 01:30 AM
you think so? i havent had any noise at all just wobble

01RedDX
11-04-2006, 01:35 AM

Rarasaurus
11-04-2006, 01:38 AM
Sounds like you need an alignment. Hopefully u didnt bend anything or ruin tie rods and such.. The good news is if u take it in for an alignment they will tell you if anything needs to be replaced before they can do it.

jdm_eg6
11-04-2006, 01:58 AM
Umm well i thought should i try and drift it out and mmaaaybe pull out but i was like well no i gotta take it to reduce the inpact. Soo head on first front left then front right then rear left and rear right... going at about 35-ish my struts are gone in the front for sure.

PS: iam going to try and do the same thing as i did on the left to the right side and it is swap my front tire off, bring up the rear right. and replace rear right with older winter set and see waht happens. If wobble is eliminated iam SUPER lucky, if not then :S ive got some work. i need to do allignment anyway because of the suspention soo its imminent.

GTS Jeff
11-04-2006, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by jdm_eg6
Hey two days ago i went over a curb pretty nicely because of a CRAZY icy corner. I love how accidents are always the road's fault and never the driver's. Like, somehow, the ice caused the accident...it had nothing to do with the driver being an idiot and just driving too fast over the ice...

jdm_eg6
11-04-2006, 11:32 AM
ohh of corse i was driving too fast, but the ice wasnt apparent until last second which sucked. i would have been perfectly fine for snow. Soo theres no need to flame on this thread, ive got enought to worry about when it comes to my footwork on my car right now.

GTS Jeff
11-04-2006, 01:14 PM
How much do you care about your car's handling? With bent components, you can probably get away with doing an alignment to make it drive straight, but it'll never be the same again unless you replace everything. That'll be costly.

One time I curbed a friend's beater really bad and bent a control arm and a tierod. All we did was realign it ourselves with a tape measure and we made the car drive straight. However, if the same thing were to happen on my summer car, I would probably be replacing everything including the strut assembly on the hit side...

jdm_eg6
11-05-2006, 12:22 AM
To GTS Jeff:

Yep iam going with all arround KYB adjustables once summer comes, and as for any bent stuff if there is ANY i will be replacing it it all depends from where. Other than that Iam pretty sure its only bent rims and allignement out of wack because i dont have any excess noise and the drive is smooth except for the wobble.

annd i care alot about my handling, hence coils, strut bars, and adjustable struts comming. haha Thanks for the help guys

jdm_eg6
11-06-2006, 12:07 AM
hopfully not too mcuh is wrong with my car and i can get back to looking forward todriving it and not dreading it.

-not signed

jdm_eg6
11-06-2006, 12:33 PM
What is the best way to check TIE-RODS, and LOWER BALL JOINTS, i know there are guages and testing by shaking... and HOW hard is it to remove and replace those two parts. Thanks

-not signed

GTS Jeff
11-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by jdm_eg6
What is the best way to check TIE-RODS, and LOWER BALL JOINTS, i know there are guages and testing by shaking... and HOW hard is it to remove and replace those two parts. Thanks

-JDM I'll tell you if you stop signing your posts with "-JDM."

jdm_eg6
11-06-2006, 10:43 PM
hahah Fiinnee..

how bout now

-not signed

can you tell me?

QuasarCav
11-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Take it to a shop, the average backyard mechanic cannot diagnose something like this. Get it on the alignment rack and they will tell you what is wrong and how much it will cost. The very least is that you will need an alignment and the worst is a bent frame or several broken or bent suspension components.

You can replace all you like but this one is over your head. I've had this happen before and it's cheaper to find out whats broken the easy way.

Aleks
11-07-2006, 07:53 AM
I know this is probably not what's wrong with your car,
but I had some vibration issues at higher speeds on my subaru the day after in snowed. It turned out to be the snow/ice stuck on my steel rims that was causing it.

GTS Jeff
11-07-2006, 01:09 PM
You can visually inspect the tie-rods to look for any bends, and you can just grab the wheel and shake left/right and up/down to see if there is any free play. Try to isolate the source of the free play, then there's your problem.

jdm_eg6
11-07-2006, 01:34 PM
tie rod ends are SUPER solid, but i havent done the pry test to see vertical play. My friend with his Civic hatch also had vibration at 100+kph and it was his upper ball joints. which cost him 500 to replace OUCH!!! well, iam letting speedtech take a look today and CMS tomorrow. and well see what happens.