PDA

View Full Version : Imigration question

topmade
11-04-2006, 01:59 AM
My wifes sister and husband just imigrated from China to the US and now wants to come here (Calgary) to work and probably stay. She also just had a baby a few weeks after she got here. They have already recieved their green cards and are permanent U.S. residents, and right now have been living in the U.S. for approx 2 months.

Questions:

Do they have to wait awhile before coming here?

I know they can come anytime to visit, but is there anything stopping them to stay here permanently and eventually get their canadian perm resident and citizen?

If they do come here, can they apply for a SIN number?

From what I remember, I thought US to Canada is nothing and they can just come here? I'm just not sure if that applies to new imigrants.

Basically I just want to know if they can come here to live and work. I will be looking into this, but just wanted to see if anyone knows what needs to be done or what can't be done so we can prepare for a easy transition as they would like to come here before x-mas.

Thanks in advance.

Cruz
11-04-2006, 02:25 AM
They will have to apply for permanent resident visas for which there is very stringent criteria. The US and Canadian immigration policies are completely independent of each other and have no bearing whatsoever on one another.