PDA

View Full Version : DVD plays fine on computer, weird on DVD player

treg50
11-04-2006, 10:06 AM
I burnt a DVD on my computer and when I tested it in a stand-alone DVD player the picture shows up as black and white and half way down the screen (the top half shows black/no picture). When tested in my computer it plays back fine (in colour and centered).

Any ideas what the problem is and how it can be fixed? :dunno:

GQBalla
11-04-2006, 11:46 AM
is your DVD player a more high end model? or is it a cheap one that you got for 50 bucks?

higher end models usually have more problems playing burnt dvds and such, but thats just what i have noticed

$lick_rYz
11-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Is your DVD connected to your TV through your VCR, try connecting your DVD straight to the TV. I had the same problem but it was with a rental dvd (not a burnt dvd) maybe b/c it prohibits piracy.:dunno:

Xtrema
11-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by treg50
I burnt a DVD on my computer and when I tested it in a stand-alone DVD player the picture shows up as black and white and half way down the screen (the top half shows black/no picture). When tested in my computer it plays back fine (in colour and centered).

Any ideas what the problem is and how it can be fixed? :dunno:

The movie you burnt is probably destine for PAL countries. We are NTSC.

It won't play on our TVs unless:

1) it's played on a computer with video out.

2) it's played on some cheap ass $30 DVD player than actually converts to NTSC.

thw_goalie
11-06-2006, 11:03 AM
Download DVD Shrink. You can convert the video to NTSC.

TurboZombie
11-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Try changing the mode playback mode on your dvd player. Most players will have a button on the remote to change the format display between pal/ntsc.

treg50
11-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Hm, toggle the format? I'll try that; never knew that was a possible feature (then again never thought I'd buy a PAL video). It's a basic/decent Panansonic listed as being 'region-free' and being able to output NTSC/PAL (then again these sites could be making stuff up):

http://www.mindlogic.com/MSDVD_PNSC_dvd-s35_DTL.shtml
http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Panasonic-DVD-S35S~r-1~CLT-INTR~RFR-www.google.ca

Maybe I have to switch the mode manually :crossesfingers: