PDA

View Full Version : Should I keep my RX-7 TurboII or get an ITR???

REFLUX
05-05-2003, 07:01 PM
I currently own a 1990 TurboII and am considering an Integra Type-R as a replacement vehicle.

Here are my reasons why:
1) ITR is more practical (4 seats, fwd for winter, lower maintenance, better gas mileage, won't need to rebuild engine anytime soon)
2) More readily available support for the ITR (yes I know there are a lot of RX-7 owners/enthusiasts out there, but getting help over the net is difficult & getting it locally is impossible)

These are the 2 reasons that make me consider becoming a Honda owner.

I now ask you to tell me why I should keep my S5 TII over an ITR.

Loose
05-05-2003, 07:28 PM
Before you go buy an ITR, drive one!

If you are like me, you would say, "Gee, this doesn't handle that great, has no torque, doesn't have much power, and is girlie".

That being said, I would trade my T2 for an ITR in a heart beat. Why? Cause it's newer, more reliable, better on gas, and worth 2 to 3 times more :)

Joe Malms
05-05-2003, 07:59 PM
wow..1990 turbo
Those are pretty rare.
The ITR is probably more logical, but i think a rwd turbo car is considered more fun, at least in my books.

Weapon_R
05-05-2003, 08:02 PM
The only thing your Turbo II has over the Type R is that it is rare and rwd...

Type R is one of the best, if not the best, fwd handling car around for the price.

I'd go for the R, but i'm just a bit biased.

Maxt
05-05-2003, 09:23 PM
Umm, I think its pretty obvious what I think..
Trade your TII for a honda? go a see a doctor first....
Maxt

rx7_turbo2
05-05-2003, 10:39 PM
Yup trading the T2 in for a honda sounds retarded to me.

chrisgushue
05-05-2003, 11:01 PM
i dunno turbo the type r and your pretty fast, plus newer car and reliable, hard choice, i'd say type r

redx2nv
05-05-2003, 11:10 PM
ha Terry you know what i think you should get:nut:

Its a big PAIN IN THE ASS trying to find one in decent shape. Or that is not written off or has the shit bagged out of it, but nevertheless they are:bigpimp:

jdmakkord
05-05-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
The only thing your Turbo II has over the Type R is that it is rare and rwd...

Type R is one of the best, if not the best, fwd handling car around for the price.

I'd go for the R, but i'm just a bit biased.

And fc rx-7's have an almost perfect weight balance, making them one of the best handling rear drive cars around. Not to mention light, and fast.

REFLUX
05-05-2003, 11:22 PM
thanks for the responses guys
To the rotorheads that replied:
I have my reasons for considering a Type-R

Greg: yeah it's difficult to find, I would consider one from the USA off of HT :D :D :D

jdmakkord: what's "light"?? My TII weighs over 3000lbs

jdmakkord
05-05-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by REFLUX

Greg: yeah it's difficult to find, I would consider one from the USA off of HT :D :D :D

Really? I drove one last summer, and couldn't believe how light it felt! Maybe it was all of the mods? Meh, I'd still keep it over an itr and I'm a honda driver now!!! lol

Chris Ng
05-05-2003, 11:39 PM
Hmmm.. If I could arrange a straight trade for my 10ae with a type R, I'd prolly do it without any guilt..

ecstasy_civic
05-05-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Chris Ng
Hmmm.. If I could arrange a straight trade for my 10ae with a type R, I'd prolly do it without any guilt..

:eek:
your car is so nice though.

littledan
05-05-2003, 11:47 PM
i understand you wanting a newer car for reliability issues... but you have a ROTORY TURBO!!! I say stick with fc.... if you want a newer car get an FD!!:thumbsup:

Loose
05-06-2003, 07:37 AM
I have raced agaist 3 Type R's in autoX. All guys were regulars. They never beat me.

Terry, just go drive one! Let me know what you think. Since your car is bone stock, you might think it's fast, but open up your car a bit (EXHAUST!!!) and I guaruntee you'll think the ITR is slow.

nookmumracing
05-06-2003, 10:26 AM
TII is a tight ride all around and a definate classic icon. But with that you got to dish out maintenance costs. Any turbo car requires way more maintenance especially if your modding it beyond BPU. ITR you can rev that thing like a bike with little maintenance.

turboMiata
05-06-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by nookmumracing
TII is a tight ride all around and a definate classic icon. But with that you got to dish out maintenance costs. Any turbo car requires way more maintenance especially if your modding it beyond BPU. ITR you can rev that thing like a bike with little maintenance.

Not to mention its a rotary! But get the TII. RWD rox!

rx7_turbo2
05-06-2003, 11:59 AM

Keep the T2, go standalone EMS, and you will be amazed by the increased reliability and potential of the car.

Originally posted by chrisgushue i dunno turbo the type r and your pretty fast

What did that one on Toma's dyno run? Not all that impressive if I remember correctly.

Originally posted by Chris Ng Hmmm.. If I could arrange a straight trade for my 10ae with a type R, I'd prolly do it without any guilt..

Oh shut up you pussy. Your always saying you want to sell Annie, stop talking and just do it, then you can dump that money into the Altima and make a really quick car.;)

Chris Ng
05-06-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

Oh shut up you pussy. Your always saying you want to sell Annie, stop talking and just do it, then you can dump that money into the Altima and make a really quick car.;)

Okay, Fine ya ass..

For sale : 1988 Mazda Rx-7 Turbo 10th anniversary

aprox 45,000km's on 3mm streetported motor
T04b hybrid turbo
Racing beat 3" exhaust
Wolf3d Standalone EMS
FD fuel pump
Malpassi Fuel pressure regulator
2x720cc primary 2x1600 secondary injectors
ACT 6 puck clutch + Heavy duty pressure plate
16" Konig rims + Kuhmo rubber
Front upper sway bar
buncha other stuff...

Dynoed 274rwhp and 255 ft/lbs torque on Toma's Dyno

Make me a reasonable offer and it's yours..

http://www.members.shaw.ca/chrisyng/annie%20day2.jpg

In reality, I honestly would trade my car in for a type R... the rx-7 is a fun car to play around with and drive, but in the end, the type r is going to be worth more...

redline_13000
05-06-2003, 06:08 PM

http://www.members.shaw.ca/chrisyng/annie%20day2.jpg

nice car:drool: :drool:

rx7_turbo2
05-06-2003, 06:35 PM

but in the end, the type r is going to be worth more...

Why is that? I guess when the type r is 15 or 16 years old we'll see but I can't imagine it will be worth that much more.

Joe Malms
05-06-2003, 07:26 PM
the only reason its worth more right now is because its simply alot newer.

REFLUX
05-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Loose: I'll find one during the spring/summer to take for a spin :) & I think my car is plenty fast as it is (stock!!)

Rx7_turboII: tell me why a standalone will increase reliability? I have some good guesses but I would like to know some straight answers :)

ChrisNg: Maybe it's because my TII is stuck in Calgary & I haven't seen it in 2 weeks is why I'm considering another car...cuz that pic of yours is *drooooooooool*

*sigh* maybe I'll just get both (I WISH!!!)

rx7_turbo2
05-06-2003, 09:12 PM

Rx7_turboII: tell me why a standalone will increase reliability? I have some good guesses but I would like to know some straight answers :)

The second gen RX-7's seem to be plauged with electrical gremlins. It's not really Mazda's fault the second gen is an old car now, technology has improved ten fold since the cars conception. How many cars now aday run a flapper door style AFM? The control and monitoring systems in a car that old are simply outdated. Changing to a standalone EMS allows you to upgraded to a much faster proccesor which gives you far better fuel resolution and timming control. Plus it gives you the ability to manipulate those factors at anytime. The price of EMS systems has come down as well, a Motec will still cost big bucks but Haltech, Wolf, and Microtech all have systems from $1000-$1500CDN which is pretty reasonable.

I don't have a standalone yet, but others do including Chris Ng and all of them are probably willing to testify to how much the system improved the drivability and reliability of the car.

Cheers

redx2nv
05-06-2003, 10:16 PM
sure standalone is cheap($1500) but the tuning is what will tear you a new asshole..

cocoabrova
05-06-2003, 10:22 PM
For a new project, the ITR is definitely a decent FF car to start with, being that it's the perfect track car, AND you can build it up to run quick dwon the 1320 too. Also the fact that it's a ltd. prod. model makes it an even nicer ride to have:thumbsup:

Chris Ng
05-06-2003, 10:34 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by redx2nv
sure standalone is cheap($1500) but the tuning is what will tear you a new asshole.. [/QUOTE

only if you are lazy..

all my tuning was done on the street by myself.. even with a cheapo a/f meter and some common sense, It was tuned well enough to push on the dyno as well as run her down the track a few times without blowing anything up...

Mind you, after uprading my fuel system a few months ago, I had to do quite a bit of re-tuning, so I purchased a wideband o2 system and managed to get the car in better tune in a fraction of the time it took before..

the only reason it should ever cost you mega bucks to tune a standalone is if you don't have enough confidence to do it yourself..

rx7_turbo2
05-06-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by redx2nv
sure standalone is cheap($1500) but the tuning is what will tear you a new asshole..

Another misconception.

Most applications have numerous maps available for download, that will get the car running, then you take it down to a local dyno for instance Toma's who happens to charge a very reasonable price, you hook it up to his wideband O2 and within a short period of time and a marginal amount of $$$ the car is tuned. Sure you will probably need to do some research into how the standalone functions and some basic principles of how the car operates, and it might help to have some friends who have travelled the standalone path before but really I don't see much trouble with it.

Maxt
05-06-2003, 10:51 PM
I think Chrisng needs to come to the Dark side(big turbo), and then he will be unable to let go of his car..
The problem with the 7, is once you get a taste of what real power is like , there is no turning back, and there is no stopping the madness when it comes to limits...I thought 350+ rwhp was enough at one time, boy was I wrong..
Reflux, life without rotary powered boost is no life at all..
And me?,I am truly addicted and in the midst of bolting a turbine originally made for a 10.0 litre mack diesel into my car...yee haw...Maxt

REFLUX
05-06-2003, 11:01 PM
Maxt: But I'm still learning how to control my STOCK power levels...I can't even imagine what it would be like with 350rwhp!!!

rx7_TII & chrisng: you give very persuasive arguments FOR standalones...now only if I lived in Calgary
if I do keep my TII long enough to go down that route (far enough to reach/need a standalone), I'll definitly give you guys a shout for HEEEEEEELP!!!! :D

ecstasyracer
05-06-2003, 11:04 PM
I going to have to give another vote for keeping the 7. Just atleast try a few mods and you will be hooked. Or think of it this way, take the difference between the price of an ITR and what it cost you for the tII and throw that money into mods for the rx-7 and you would have one hell of a car.

Chris Ng
05-06-2003, 11:10 PM
I will not be made to feel inadequate about the size of my turbo...
It's not always about size.. sometimes it comes down to how useable it is....

Where do you live Reflux?

SplineZ
05-07-2003, 06:18 AM
Myself, I'd stick with the T2. I think its better looking, it sounds cooler, and rotary engines can rev all day long. If I were to buy another small sports car It'd have to be a mazda :)

Reflux is in edmonton I believe..

Whats not satisfieing your abour your car? nothing a few bills couldnt help ;)

ITR's and their look alikes are "too common" IMO, and most of them sound like a tight fart :D

JZ

Loose
05-07-2003, 08:05 AM
Reflux: Looks like you'll have to keep your car or else my cowtown rotary guys (Wankle Nazi's) will put a hit on you!

REFLUX
05-07-2003, 09:00 AM
I'm from Edmonton

Splinezzzzzz: (a few bills) x (a few times) = a lot of bills & hassle

Loose: I'll be too sleeper for you to know who I am :D

nookmumracing
05-07-2003, 09:40 AM
Dang thats a tight FC. Love the white wheels and sounds like you dumped some cash money into the motor. In the end what you want to do with your ride is all personal preference. Cool thing about the rotary is when you first start it up, a very distinguished sound and it sounds like a motor boat going down the strip without silencers, Koolaid!!

Peace

rx7_turbo2
05-07-2003, 10:42 AM
if I do keep my TII long enough to go down that route (far enough to reach/need a standalone), I'll definitly give you guys a shout for HEEEEEEELP!!!! :D

I decided after watching what a difference the standalone makes that it should be the first mod to any 2nd Gen RX-7. You should do it before exhaust or intake or any of that.

Originally posted by nookmumracingCool thing about the rotary is when you first start it up, a very distinguished sound and it sounds like a motor boat going down the strip without silencers, Koolaid!!

I think we all described it as a weed whacker on crack:D

REFLUX
05-07-2003, 12:03 PM
rx7_tII: what difference did you watch/observe with a standalone???

Joe Malms
05-07-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by nookmumracing
Dang thats a tight FC. Love the white wheels and sounds like you dumped some cash money into the motor. In the end what you want to do with your ride is all personal preference. Cool thing about the rotary is when you first start it up, a very distinguished sound and it sounds like a motor boat going down the strip without silencers, Koolaid!!

Peace

get the nuts fagboy
haha

i got a borla muffler to weld into the midpipe and i may change up my catback, plus a dump tube for the wastegate back into downpipe.
No more motor boat for me!

redbaron303
05-07-2003, 12:35 PM
Terry your car's in great Shape. I think you should consider keeping it even though it isn't the most practical best all year round car... You don't drive it in the winter so I don't see what the problem is?! Sure they have some reliability issues but what car doesn't have it's own issues?!

Like everyone says: Turbo, RWD, and 2seater = cool fun car to drive :)

In argument for the ITR, hell I would sell the Z for one and you know how much I love my baby :) Couldn't you just buy an older 94+ teg and drop a new itr motor into it for next to "nothing" and adjust suspension and then you have something that's comparible to a true itr???

I say, when you get the car back, drive it for a few month until july or august and make a decision at that time, although selling at the end of summer isn't best for $$$ value as ppl are starting to look for winter beaters?!

SplineZ
05-07-2003, 01:35 PM
I'm from Edmonton

Splinezzzzzz: (a few bills) x (a few times) = a lot of bills & hassle

Yea, but its like that with every car. If you want something cheap, get a domestic :)

Im not sure there is an "enthusiast" car thats super cheap to take care of.

Myself, I'd gladly take a slightly higher maintanence bill for a car I LOVE to drive.

Maybe line up a test drive with someone who has an IT or ITR, and check it out before

JZ

rx7_turbo2
05-07-2003, 01:37 PM
rx7_tII: what difference did you watch/observe with a standalone???

The motor runs smoother, holds idle better, revs faster, and in alot of cases the hot start flooding problem is completely solved. Not to mention trouble shooting regular electrical problems becomes a hell of alot easier.

Lots of question can be answered at
http://www.rx7club.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=37

Cheers

REFLUX
05-07-2003, 09:46 PM
splinez: yeah i'll do that this summer :)

rx7tii: thanks man

ExtremeSi
05-10-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by redbaron303
Couldn't you just buy an older 94+ teg and drop a new itr motor into it for next to "nothing" and adjust suspension and then you have something that's comparible to a true itr???

This is a common misconception. I used to think this too, but I found out that the ITR actually has a lot of differences. A lot! The whole fram is stiffened, virtually all suspension components are different....and I'm sure there is a lot else that is different. You could get a stock teg to handle like a stock ITR with some suspension mods, but the ITR is a much better platform to start with...... If anyone knows anymore info..please add