PDA

View Full Version : Arrogant Pedestrians Downtown

rage2
11-06-2006, 11:49 AM
hehe wow, the Herald wrote about my pet peeve!

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/city/story.html?id=2c948409-c53d-48ea-9124-955d9b504341

I usually turn, and honk like a mofu to get thru. When I drive my beater, I'll even nudge ppl by driving forward, I HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY. I've gotten the finger so many times haha. Downtown pedestrians are a worst assholes in the city.

They have laws against spitting but not asshole pedestrians who walk before the light turns green (screws up lead car turning right) and they keep walking after it turns red (screws up the rest of the cars). I can't count how many times from Center street I wanna turn right onto 6th ave when it's busy where I had to wait 3 light changes cuz of asshole pedestrians. Not to mention getting stuck in the middle of the crosswalk trying to turn right and having ppl kick my car.

Assholes, run 'em over!

Lex350
11-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Oh man...I hate that...but it isn't just downtown. It's everywhere. I think I need to carry a case of tomatoes to fire off at these people.

Aleks
11-06-2006, 12:03 PM
I hate having a green flashing arrow to turn left and pedestrians just walking though even though they light is not on yet. I just go anyways and make them run ahead.

gran turismo
11-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by rage2

They have laws against spitting but not asshole pedestrians who walk before the light turns green (screws up lead car turning right) and they keep walking after it turns red (screws up the rest of the cars).

Crossing during a flashing "don't walk" sign isn't jaywalking, but there is a Traffic Safety Act fine for such errant behaviour, said the city's animal and bylaw services manager, Bill Bruce.

Sgt. Ted McCauley of the Calgary police traffic education unit said a Selective Traffic Enforcement Program set to run this month will target pedestrian violations.

Officers will crack down on any pedestrians breaking the law in or out of crosswalks.

calgarygts
11-06-2006, 12:07 PM
I think it's great that there is going to be an initiative to ticket these people. I'm a pedestrian downtown to and from work and it's not that hard to wait a minute if it's flashing the orange hand - it certainly helps traffic. There are too many people who will still walk across even if the light is changing to orange just to save a minute. Is it really that important to get to work or home that couple of minutes faster by walking like this?

Aleks
11-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by calgarygts
I think it's great that there is going to be an initiative to ticket these people. I'm a pedestrian downtown to and from work and it's not that hard to wait a minute if it's flashing the orange hand - it certainly helps traffic. There are too many people who will still walk across even if the light is changing to orange just to save a minute. Is it really that important to get to work or home that couple of minutes faster by walking like this?

I can understand it if it's really cold out and you're freezing your ass off, but still once the light is turning amber you should not be starting to cross :banghead:

lilmira
11-06-2006, 12:15 PM
It's even worse when they jump onto the road at the last sec and then slowing walk across the road. You are in such a big rush to cross the road, that's fine but speed the hell up. Don't walk like you are carrying a bomb with a mercury switch!
We need to educate them by sending them to like China and Taiwan where you really want to get to the other side of the road really quick regardless of the right of way.

dennisaur
11-06-2006, 12:18 PM
i hate that too. people need to start following rules around here

Super_Geo
11-06-2006, 12:21 PM
I will start to cross if the hand is flashing but not if it's solid. Never really thought about it till this thread...

eb0i
11-06-2006, 12:24 PM
I like how the traffic lights are set up in downtown Vancouver. They offset the pedestrian walk light with the traffic light. So the light goes green and you can turn right and then a few seconds (maybe 10?) the pedestrian light goes on so they can cross. It lets a few cars through, which is:thumbsup:

rage2
11-06-2006, 12:26 PM
hey eb0i, update your hockey blog, I'm out of good reading material this morning! :rofl:

403Gemini
11-06-2006, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
I hate having a green flashing arrow to turn left and pedestrians just walking though even though they light is not on yet. I just go anyways and make them run ahead.

my biggest pedestrian pet peeve

khtm
11-06-2006, 12:40 PM
It's funny, when I'm driving I get pissed at pedestrians who are all over the road, but when I'm walking I think I'm king of the fucking street and get pissed at cars who have the right of way.

I hate to admit it but I'm a HUGE hypocrite :D

DoubleLP
11-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
I will start to cross if the hand is flashing but not if it's solid. Never really thought about it till this thread... .

That flashing hand is to tell pedestrians to STOP crossing. Not start crossing. If you are already out in the intersection and then the flashing hand appears that is ok. But dont start crossing when it starts or is in progress of flashing.

You are the reason this thread is here and there is an article in the Herald.

TimG
11-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by rage2
[B]
I usually turn, and honk like a mofu to get thru. When I drive my beater, I'll even nudge ppl by driving forward, I HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY. I've gotten the finger so many times haha. Downtown pedestrians are a worst assholes in the city.

guess what? you only havethe right of way sometimes:

From http://www.calgarypolice.ca/sections/traffic/know.html

Every intersection without traffic lights is a pedestrian crosswalk, whether marked or not, and pedestrians have the right of way. Vehicles must yield when a pedestrian is approaching. Once the pedestrian has gone past and is walking away from you, you may proceed. The fine for failing to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk or passing another vehicle stopped at a crosswalk travelling in the same direction is $575. Pedestrians have a responsibility to ensure it is safe to proceed before crossing at a crosswalk.

Pedestrians only have the right-of-way at traffic signals when they are crossing with the green light, the walk indication or flashing "walk" signal.

The fine for failing to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk or passing another vehicle stopped at a crosswalk is $575.

barbarian
11-06-2006, 10:00 PM
Yeah, try being a pedestrian downtown at 4 PM before a long weekend. You have to watch your ass, because people will run red lights trying to get out of town faster. This includes making right and left turns among the pedestrians when the car has the red.

topmade
11-06-2006, 10:13 PM
bahh, it works both ways. But being on both ends pedesrtrians are worse then drivers IMO. The pedestrians should be the ones who pay more attention because if I run you over because you decided to run accross at the last second or even when it's already RED!!, my insurance will go up, while you go 6ft below ground.

00redLUDE
11-06-2006, 10:26 PM
It's so bad now that I had on one occasion some jerk off crossing the street when I had the green light, I was just going to keep going and the MOFO saw me and actually STOPPED???!!!! I had the green light, WTF!!!

I read that article and was happy to see it was not only me that had this feeling.

rage2
11-07-2006, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by TimG
guess what? you only havethe right of way sometimes:

From http://www.calgarypolice.ca/sections/traffic/know.html
Since I'm talking about downtown pedestrians crossing against the light, every intersection has lights, and looks like I can keep nudging those fuckers crossing on the red.

DeMoon
11-07-2006, 08:41 AM
Actually I think Calgary pedestrians are very good in comparison to other cities in North America. The majority still follow traffic signals and very few jay walk.

Try driving in Downtown Montreal where all the pedestrians think they have the right of way 100% of time. They'll pop out from behind parked cars and expect you to stop on a dime or continue walking across the street even though you clearly have the green light. You honk at them and they'll yell some obscene French crap or just give you the finger. :dunno:

But I'm glad the city is taking action before it gets worse in our city. :clap:

Moonracer
11-07-2006, 10:02 AM
I too hate those mofo's who just keep crossing on the don't walk. If I have my window open I'll yell at them, reminding them not to cross on the don't walk. Most of the time I just have to push my way through otherwise nobody moves. :guns:

yellowsnow
11-07-2006, 10:12 AM
yep, i hate this too.
one time a pedestrian was jaywalking in dt, and i had the green light. so i started swerving in my lane, honked my horn, and screamed 'NO BRAKES NO BRAKES'. hahah, the look on his face was priceless.

people don't realize there's a long queue of cars trying to turn. when it's flashing, don't start crossing!

rc2002
11-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Pedestrians only have the right-of-way at traffic signals when they are crossing with the green light, the walk indication or flashing "walk" signal.

The fine for failing to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk or passing another vehicle stopped at a crosswalk is $575.

I think this should go both ways - there should be a $575 fine for the pedestrian if they enter the crosswalk when the hand is flashing. Especially during rush hour. :whipped:

CalgarySupra
11-07-2006, 12:59 PM
funny you would think they are all immigrants or just criminals. but no they are white colar business people .

Lo)2enz0
11-07-2006, 01:36 PM
it actually depends where you are downtown. but i know what you mean with turning onto 6th ave. i used to live just off of 6th ave and 10th and seriously i never left my apartment between 5 and 6:30 because it was such a mess down there. even going to the grocery store was bad. but along center street is the worst.

when your about to turn and some asshole jumps out in front of you god pissed me off

Orbie
11-07-2006, 02:08 PM
This definitely applies both ways, I've seen plenty of pedestrians jaywalking, but I've also seen plenty of drivers that barely miss pedestrians when the pedestrians have right of way. I've also been honked at and fingered by other drivers when we're in a turn lane and I'm yielding to crossing pedestrians with a walk signal :dunno: I think both groups need more patience.

403Gemini
11-07-2006, 02:43 PM
I think stupidity plays a role in this as well.

This morning i saw a woman jaywalking and it made me chuckle because i thought of this thread. she was crossing 3rd st on 7th ave, she SAW the hand was red, but she looked north to see if any traffic was coming and stepped out in middle of the road...

Well... 3rd street (least i believe its 3rd lol) is a one way north only, so she was checking the wrong way completely. a van nearly smoked her because he was coming through a green light in the far lane just as she stepped out. she got about halfway through his lane when she heard his tires screech from coming to a sudden stop, then jumps into the NEXT lane, not back on the side walk, and proceeds through as every car was slamming on their brakes. Naturally i got hit with a bit of "oh shit" but when i saw her get accross safely all i could do was laugh and think "what a dumb bitch"

5hift
11-07-2006, 03:17 PM
If you guys think downtown is bad, try the U of C roads at peak times. No one looks before they cross, and if you get stuck at one of the crossings near the sciences after a train just arrived with more students, its about a 5 minute wait as very few students stop to let a car through.

I'd been waiting to make a left hand turn onto 24th st by the main enterance to UofC, as this girl began to cross despite it flashing her dont cross while I had a flashing green left turn signal. I guess that wasnt enough for her as she stopped in the middle of the road, started bumbling around with her purse/bags, pulled out a cell phone,answered it and started talking before she continued walking. I had never wanted to run someone over so much in my life.

speedracer
11-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Rumor for now since I only saw the aftermath.

5th Ave between 1st and 2nd street. A Flatbed truck with cargo ran over a jaywalker.

Speculation - that what the guard told me.

Moonracer
11-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by speedracer
Rumor for now since I only saw the aftermath.

5th Ave between 1st and 2nd street. A Flatbed truck with cargo ran over a jaywalker.

Speculation - that what the guard told me.

Oh so that's why it's currently all backed up on 5th...lol I was wondering what was going on, i'm on 5th & 5th.

rc2002
11-07-2006, 03:43 PM
Yeah I just saw that too. Cars are backed up all the way back to 7th Street.

speedracer
11-07-2006, 04:00 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=153300

Nothing on City beat yet :(

Aleks
11-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Truck hit a +15.

Moonracer
11-07-2006, 04:41 PM
^^^yup, don't even thnk about getting out of downtown in a car anytime soon. :(

barbarian
11-07-2006, 09:25 PM
Saw this chick almost get smoked today on 4th ave and 1st street se. She was trying to cross 4th ave, and was on her cellphone. She saw two lanes of cars slow down, because they were turning left onto 1 st, and she assumed the light was turning, so she started to cross. got about 2 lanes out before realizing it.

nadroj23
11-08-2006, 09:14 AM
^^ see thats the thing if people had a little more common sense when crossing and drives made eye contact with the pedestrian then i think things would go a lot smoother. Ive had countless times turning off of 5thave onto 10ave and its fuckin stupid i always have to look behind to me to see if a pedstrian is about to cross and then theres the couriers that go on the outside and i have to wait for them to......

But i will stop for any pedestrian if they have the right to cross, if not i dont fuckin care. your body vs my car, my car will win if you cross illegaly.

Oh and one thing i fuckin hate is people that jaywalk and WALK across the shit. this has happened to me all over town. one time i was driving down 14th street goin north and these 2 kids cross the street the first one runs not a problem outta my way, way before i get there. The other on the other hand decided to give me a glare and slowly walk across the street. so i speed up and pretend like im goin to hit him. I think he will think twice about doin that shit again.

On the other hand when i am a pedestrian if i am holding up traffic and i am the only person crossing i will jog. Just for the fact i fuckin hate how pedestrian take their time crossing not letting any cars turn or cars turning late and causing accidents.

Mar
11-08-2006, 10:15 AM
I hate that. I just go between them, nobody's touched my car yet. I'm from the east coast, people don't try to cross the road there, even if the walk sign is on. People will run you the hell over.

ZorroAMG
11-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by DeMoon
Actually I think Calgary pedestrians are very good in comparison to other cities in North America. The majority still follow traffic signals and very few jay walk.

Try driving in Downtown Montreal where all the pedestrians think they have the right of way 100% of time. They'll pop out from behind parked cars and expect you to stop on a dime or continue walking across the street even though you clearly have the green light. You honk at them and they'll yell some obscene French crap or just give you the finger. :dunno:

But I'm glad the city is taking action before it gets worse in our city. :clap:

Uhhh WRONG, I grew up in Montreal and it's the opposite, there may be jaywalking but it's at their own risk as everyone knows you will get smoked by a car. They are crazy aggressive drivers in Montreal. Calgary is one of the only gay-assed cities where pedestrians cross without even glancing to check for oncoming vehicles. Fucking IDIOTS....especially if any of them are on here...a car forum for fook's sake.

nos_efx
11-08-2006, 11:00 AM
:banghead: :banghead: = People who do not get off those their fucken bikes ebfore crossing a crosswalk....

Almost smoke a douchebag when making a left turn because he just blows outta know where on his bike......

01RedDX
11-08-2006, 01:01 PM

That.Guy.S30
11-08-2006, 11:47 PM
rage its called Hella SuperTones. 118DB. hahaah lets see those pedistrians give you the finger when they are deaf from a honk of the horn

Si_FlyGuy
11-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
rage its called Hella SuperTones. 118DB. hahaah lets see those pedistrians give you the finger when they are deaf from a honk of the horn

Great idea!! Group buy?

nadroj23
11-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by nos_efx
:banghead: :banghead: = People who do not get off those their fucken bikes ebfore crossing a crosswalk....

Almost smoke a douchebag when making a left turn because he just blows outta know where on his bike......

wow another thing i dont hate more, stupid fucks that dont get off your bikes when crossing the street. DID you know what if i hit you, you are a moving vichele? thats the whole point of being a pedestrian getting off your bike and walking it across like you are supposed to. god damn couriers i hate you. everyday ^^ the above happens to me on 5th street and 10th ave.

mjt
11-26-2006, 05:40 PM
I've also been honked at and fingered by other drivers when we're in a turn lane and I'm yielding to crossing pedestrians with a walk signal I think both groups need more patience.

That's when I would put the car into park, roll down the sunroof and give the middle finger salute as well as honk and go through only when its red just to piss off those other drivers further.

Pedestrians, cyclists and motorists all have right of way at certain points in time. The people that go when they don't have right of way are the worst. How many people don't know who has right of way in uncontrolled intersections or even traffic circles with more than 1 lane? How many people actually know the difference between Yield and Merge and when to do which one? These should be reason enough to have mandatory re-testing of both the learner's test and driving test for drivers after every 5 years and more frequent for seniors.

One final thing -> to those pedestrians who cross on a red light I hope that they realize that cars are legally allowed to clear the intersection on a yellow light if they entered on green. So I have no simpathy for any pedestrian that gets smoked by a car in such a situation.

mjt
11-26-2006, 05:47 PM
wow another thing i dont hate more, stupid fucks that dont get off your bikes when crossing the street. DID you know what if i hit you, you are a moving vichele? thats the whole point of being a pedestrian getting off your bike and walking it across like you are supposed to. god damn couriers i hate you. everyday ^^ the above happens to me on 5th street and 10th ave.

If a cyclist is riding their bike through a crosswalk they cease being a pedestrian and I am no longer required to stop at a pedestrian crossing for them. The only exception is for kids who may or may not realize this distinction. Either you are a pedestrian or vehicle. You can't be both.

Supa Dexta
11-26-2006, 08:46 PM
I hit a courier once.. I was turning into an alley downtown, but someone was comming out of it, so I checked my mirrors, no one around, so I began to back up the 8ft or so I needed to let him out, mirrors all clear, backing up, backin up'..

Bang! Smash! Crash!

WHAT THE FUK WAS THAT! I get out and theres a courier and his bike laying under the back of the car.. HAHA.. Turns out he seen me stop went to cut across behind me, and was looking backwards, shoulder checking when I began to back up.. He was unhurt, pretty shook up and was sorry it happened, So I said cool and went on my way..

barbarian
11-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Saw a lady almost get smoked by a 3/4 ton pickup today. She started crossing as the light turned red for the other direction instead of waiting for the green in her direction. Fortunately she was walking so fast that the pickup that was having trouble stopping didn't slide into the crosswalk until she was in the next lane over.

signature7
12-05-2006, 07:49 PM
in montreal the Pedestrians own the road, i remember one time walking on st catherines and the light had turned green and people were still walking in front of cars and there were so many people walking that the light had turned red and the cars didn't move an inch...

ashee
12-05-2006, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Yep that's true, this city has some of the most courteous drivers in the world, to the point of stupidity. It's the complete opposite of Montreal. Pedestrians have it good here.

That's what a lot of people from out of town say to me when I complain about the bad driving in Calgary...