PDA

View Full Version : Installing Coax front speakers -- Needs HELP.

spiceboy
05-06-2003, 12:31 PM
I've bought Infinity Kappas 6.5" for my front speakers only to find that they are a little big for my 00 Prelude. There's a plastic molding right behind where the speakers sit and that will definitely be problem as the new speakers have a big magnet.

Has anyone installed similar speakers on Preludes before? If so, how do you guys do it? Another option is to add some sort of a plate to bring out the speakers so the magnet won't be touching the plastic molding. What materials do you recommend to use for the "adapter"? And where to buy the materials?

Thanks for all your help.

Weapon_R
05-06-2003, 01:10 PM
Why not return them and buy speakers that actually fit your car?

bol
05-06-2003, 01:27 PM
if you need to make a ring to give more room behind the speaker, mdf works good of course but you might ahve a problem of fitting the door panel over the speaker

spiceboy
05-06-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Why not return them and buy speakers that actually fit your car?

My stock speakers are 6.5" too. So even if I get 5.25" they'll be too small and I'll have to modify to fill the spaces ... either way work has to be done.

sml
05-06-2003, 05:02 PM
6.5s will work. Just need to cut the plastic mold and put in spacers... You don't need to go 5.25"... Search on PO.com, tons of ppl done it before, probably with the exact same speakers too!

spiceboy
05-08-2003, 04:41 PM
Do you know where I can get the right spacers? Or what materials would you recommend to make my own spacers? Foams? Where can I get them?

Mckenzie
05-10-2003, 10:54 AM
The infinities and alpine type r lines usually have fitment issues in the doors of most hondas. I had to modify the doors on my legend to get the type R components in the doors. You will have to cut out a bit of the basket, and make a spacer, probably some 1/4 MDF, some thin plywood, or a peice of plastic will work. You just have to be creative.....

Ajay
05-10-2003, 01:10 PM
I have a set of 6.5" Kappa speakers in my hatchback and I had fittment issues as well.

Had to build a spacer outta MDF so I could push the speaker out a bit away from the inner door panel so the magnet didn't restrict the window from rolling up and down. Gonna have to do the same with my 6x9 Kappas I bought for my Civic as well.

Use MDF....it's probably the best material to use for making spacers if you're having issues regarding fit of speakers.

88CRX
05-10-2003, 01:37 PM
ya i have some fosgates that i got for christmas that are still waiting to go in:confused: i need to do spacers but im too lazy