PDA

View Full Version : Truck ALMOST Stolen

dodger97
11-08-2006, 12:02 AM
My fiance was parked at the Canadian Tire on 64th...in the store for maybe 10 minutes and comes out to find his truck missing. He walked around for maybe a minute then calls me to freak out his truck has been stolen. Brand new truck that he has had for only one week.

As we were on the phone with me questioning him if he just forgot where he parked - he yells, "There it is...someone is driving it out of the lot" and hangs up.

As I was about to call the cops - he phones back to tell me that he chased down the truck. The two idiots inside see him and jump out of the truck while it is still moving. My fiance had to chase the truck to stop it.

Turns out the thieves had a cut key that happened to open AND start the truck. Luckily nothing was broken or stolen. No damage.

The police told us that it probably was some kids that happen to know "someone" at a dealership that cut the key for them and they happened to find a "random" vehicle that it worked on. They also said that if it was an organized theft - they would not have abandoned the truck, so my fiance was lucky he didn't get shot/stabbed.

Unfortunately, we did not have an alarm system installed yet but it will be done immediately now.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up...these "random" thefts are occuring more frequently now.

:guns:

rusich
11-08-2006, 12:08 AM
What truck was that? So that I don't go anywhere near this POS car maker again. I think by 21st century every new car should be equipped with some kind of basic theft deterrent sytem.

EK 2.0
11-08-2006, 12:10 AM
wow happy to hear it all worked out. But it could have been a LOT worse...

dodger97
11-08-2006, 12:10 AM
2006 GMC Sierra 1500 half ton

dodger97
11-08-2006, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
wow happy to hear it all worked out. But it could have been a LOT worse...

Thanks...yeah - I was worried that he could have been hurt. He got an earful from me later for chasing it down. No vehicle is worth someone's life IMO.

EK 2.0
11-08-2006, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by dodger97
No vehicle is worth someone's life IMO.

That's exactly what I was thinking J. But again very happy it all turned out all right.

mo_money2supe
11-08-2006, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by rusich
What truck was that? So that I don't go anywhere near this POS car maker again.

That can happen to ANY manufacturer actually. My buddy's old DA Integra's keys fit perfectly into my EG Civic's doors AND ignition and vice versa. It was somewhat unsettling to know 'cause when we compared the keys side by side, they looked nothing alike. It was just 'cause both our cars were older, the keys had worn down to a point that they worked on each other's cars. Let's hope my cheapo Quinn Security alarm will be able to deter some would-be thieves with the same key as me away.

Supa Dexta
11-08-2006, 08:29 AM
Funny story,

This guy who worked with my father had to go out of town for work, 3 hours from home or so.. He was in a mall, came out got in his car and drove home.. He gets home and opens the trunk where his bag/laptop should be and its not there, only shopping bags of various things... He's like wtf? He then gets gets a call from police asking him if hes found anything different about his car, and he explains he has.. Turns out he parked close to an exact car, got in and it worked! Then the woman whos car he had, came out and found his bag, with contact info, and called police..

Just going from memory, but thats the jist of it... Sounds unreal, as you'd think he would have something in the car to make him realize sooner, radio stations even... Something tells me it was a civic, in the 92-95 range...

nadroj23
11-08-2006, 09:18 AM
^^ yes i have heard about this with the older GMC astro vans and such. but this was way back maybe 5-8 years ago........so it surprised me to hear about something like this if it was the case. Good to hear everything is ok, and i think dealerships needs to reconsider some of their employees if thats the case.

SilverBoost
11-08-2006, 09:23 AM

No vehicle is worth someone's life IMO.

Yeah, but beating someone to within an inch of theirs for messing with your vehicle is.*

Fucking punks. Glad he got it back in one piece.

*Disclaimer: No, beating someone within an inch of their life is not the proper thing to actually do here, so no I don't need any responses debating that it isn't the right thing to do. It's just a chat forum, and it ain't always that serious. Thank you.

Mar
11-08-2006, 10:02 AM
wow, was this yesterday? Probably right after I was talking to him, that sucks. Same thing happened to me but I caught them before they drove away, and it was thanks to the alarm. So ya, get an alarm.

lilmira
11-08-2006, 10:06 AM
I remember it was on the news a few years back that some girl found out that her brand new either cavalier or sunfire can be unlocked by her friend's key from the same model car. Interesting enough, while they were filming the interview, some cop came by, tried his key on the car and it worked too.

Mar
11-08-2006, 10:30 AM
My dad's old blazer could be opened with a rock. I locked my keys inside one day and used a popsicle stick to get back inside.

zieg
11-08-2006, 10:44 AM
2006 GMC Sierra 1500 half ton

How did I know it was gonna be a GM....

SilverBoost
11-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by ZiG-87

How did I know it was gonna be a GM....

because they're steal-friendly.

rc2002
11-08-2006, 11:20 AM
So he was tracing the truck down on foot? And the people stealing the truck were thinking "OMG He's going to catch us, we better bail out of a moving vehicle"???

hussein
11-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
So he was tracing the truck down on foot? And the people stealing the truck were thinking "OMG He's going to catch us, we better bail out of a moving vehicle"???

:rofl: Maybe he is a marathon runner.

dodger97
11-08-2006, 01:45 PM
^^It was still in the parking lot and according to my fiance they were driving slow (like you are supposed to do in parking lots - go figure). But yes he is a fast runner but as to why they would bail - who knows but I don't think intelligence is their strong point.

wow, was this yesterday? Probably right after I was talking to him, that sucks. Same thing happened to me but I caught them before they drove away, and it was thanks to the alarm. So ya, get an alarm.

Probably...he didn't mention that he had spoke to you but probably slipped his mind after what happened.

infected
11-08-2006, 02:01 PM

Thanks...yeah - I was worried that he could have been hurt. He got an earful from me later for chasing it down. No vehicle is worth someone's life IMO.

Good for you. Never chase after car thieves.

88CRXGUY
11-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Thats unbelievable that you seen them drive away in the truck, thats awsome that you caught the truck before anything happened. An alarm is a goodthing to get, it can give you that extra few seconds to catch someone trying to steal your car before they steal it.

Gravy_83
11-08-2006, 08:47 PM
hahah yeah they couldn't be very smart...not like a big ass truck like that is easy to stop on foot they coulda left...good thing they stupid