PDA

View Full Version : ZR Auto

M.alex
11-08-2006, 01:59 AM
Has anybody ever had any dealing with ZR Auto (Actual $$$$ deals, not looking around) - I've been thinking about buying a 97ish Diablo, but a few people have told me I should avoid them and just take the extra trouble of going to BC and flatbedding it here.

Of course stories are always a 'friend of a friend' got jacked by them, so I'd like to hear from somebody whose actually done business w/ them.

jasonrx-7
11-08-2006, 08:28 AM
Thats going to be hard to find. Doubt many if any people here actually have dealt with ZR auto. They have been in business for a long ass time. So they have been doing something right

Supa Dexta
11-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by jasonrx-7
They have been in business for a long ass time. So they have been doing something right

Being the only gig in a town with a lot of money will do that for you...

BigMass
11-08-2006, 08:34 AM
Zahir has had MANY dealings and sales of exotics in Calgary for a long long time. He goes off his reputation. While his prices may not be "competitive" and can be pretty high, he will not "Jack" you. He has sold exotics to some pretty important people. He has been a part of this city for a long time doing what he does, he organizes exotic cruises and trips for his customers etc. He also offers warranty's on his vehicles and has certified mechanics for Ferrari and Lambo that work out of his shop

max_boost
11-08-2006, 09:48 AM
www.kulumotorcar.com

Weapon_R
11-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Go somewhere else. Import one or go to Vancouver where the prices are much lower.

Mar
11-08-2006, 10:36 AM
I second getting one from Vancouver, but I have a friend who just bought a car there 2 weeks ago and said it was bad. I'll get the details when I talk to him again, he sits about 100 feet from me at work. I just have to wait for him to walk by.

rage2
11-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
I buy my cars from www.kulumotorcar.com who sells a lot of lambos and ferraris in Calgary. ZR aint the only gig in town ;).

Weapon_R
11-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

Keep in mind that the owner has many 'ventures' keeping him afloat. I don't know whether ZR Auto itself is very profitable, but he probably has a lot of fun doing it and he has other things to keep him from worrying.

BigMass
11-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I buy my cars from www.kulumotorcar.com who sells a lot of lambos and ferraris in Calgary. ZR aint the only gig in town ;).

what did you buy and how was the experience? Just curious for a short reference

jasonrx-7
11-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Keep in mind that the owner has many 'ventures' keeping him afloat. I don't know whether ZR Auto itself is very profitable, but he probably has a lot of fun doing it and he has other things to keep him from worrying.

Exactly,

As it might seem that they are not every busy or look like invenotory is moving,

They are selling most of the cars online
Very few people actually come into the store for a purchase
That is what i was told when i went in there.

M.alex
11-08-2006, 12:16 PM

Interesting; I did not even know about them.

max_boost
11-08-2006, 12:22 PM
^^^

They have some mad connections to be able to source some really mint condition higher end cars. Next time I'm not even going to bother buying a brand new car and taking the hit on depreciation, I'll just get them to find it.

The 04 GT3 on the website right now. Maybe it's time to take out that HELOC. :love: :bigpimp:

milesmcewing
11-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Both Kulu and Zahir have great reputations, quality costs money.

When they bring a car in, it is thoroughly checked out, I remember both of them bringing Porsches into South Centre and saying 'make it perfect, fix everything'

I would not hesitate to spend the money there and keep my money in this town.

What do you think the statement ' You get what you pay for' means anyhow?

Integrity is hard to build in the auto world, these guys step it up a notch.

Cheers

BerserkerCatSplat
11-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Wow, I'm suprised that I'd never heard of Kulu before.

E36M3
11-08-2006, 06:18 PM
I've purchased most of my cars for the last few years from Kulu Motorcar. I can't say enough good things about them.. great pricing, fantastic and honest service. They can get results when nobody else can.

95EagleAWD
11-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Wait till spring, get one in Vancouver... then drive it home!

And looking at Kulu's site: 50K for a '91 NSX! Woot.... I will make money on this one day! :D

Graham_A_M
11-08-2006, 10:26 PM
LOL!! You may want to do some more research on the Lamborghini Diablo before you put any money down on one... besides Ebay is the way to go since ZR is VERY overpriced. They want $299k for a 2001 6.0 when you can get one for literally half that in US dollars. Even after the GST and duties, your still $100k ahead. :thumbsup:

Diablo's are ULTRA high maintenence. Picture the reliability of a Triumph or an MGB, but with the costs about 10-20 times that of a regular car.

Do you know how much a clutch costs? guess...... honestly... go ahead and guess....

do you want to know how much it is installed? $15-$20,000 USD... depending on the parts to be installed:nut: Whats really nuts? they have to be replaced every 5,000 km's. Or less... usually much less if you plan on driving the car to at least a fair portion of its potential.
How about a new altrenator? guess again.... It should be $2000 right? try doubling that... its $4,000 USD for it to be installed.

Whats neat about Diablo's... is that they're quite literally a normal RWD car that happens to have the seats facing the other way. (if you can imagine that); this time: the engine is right behind you with the driveshaft facing towards the front of the car; the tranmission still goes in between the seats, only to power the front wheels of the car... the thing is; is that all Diablo's past 1993 (1994 and up) are 4WD... so what happens is that you have a shaft that "juts" out the side of the transmission.. only to power the rear drive shaft; via a drive belt. Well that drive belt lasts between 3,000km's to 10,000km's and costs a measily $10,000 USD to buy and have installed.
Sound like fun yet?
The pre 1994 Diablo's have a different transmission set up whereas they're entirely RWD only...

I know a guy in Toronto that has a Diablo 6.0 (2001)... he was driving along this main freeway when his car started to lose power very quickly... so he pulled over and had to have his car towed to the exotic dealership for servicing..... the diagnosis? The car fried its ECU, and now needs a $10k CAD engine computer to run again... plus labor of course.

Actually; on a per kilometer basis of figuring out the amount of money the car will cost you in terms of depreciation and maintenence, count on spending $15 dollars for every kilometer you drive... so thats like spending $120-$150 to get from Downtown to COP.. one way.... sound good yet?

There is a reason why you'll very VERY seldomly find a Diablo anywhere with more then 10,000 kilometers on it. In fact even 5,000 is LOTS. I've yet to ever see a diablo with more then 15k on it... and it was a 1992... located in Miami; I do that much driving in half a year.. not 15 years.
Its not that the owners dont like driving the cars.. THEY DO!!! but most people can't deal with the ultra high maintenence costs; mixed in with incredible unreliability that comes with the Diablo's in particular... they're quite honestly for leaving in your garage and showing to your buddies..... not so much driving as morotic as that concept is.

If your a lambo fan, buy a Gallardo or even save up more so for a Mucielago.. since they're way more reliable and they're maintenence costs work out to being just as "cheap to own" as a $150k Diablo.

But if your REALLY stuck on buying a diablo, you can get a pre 1995 hardtop (the roadsters were introduced in 1996) for less then $80k USD on ebay.
The countach isn't nearly as high performance, but its surprisingly more reliable and also quite an attention magnet.

95EagleAWD
11-08-2006, 10:50 PM
That's not true at all.

Checked on Lambostuff.com

For a Gallardo (not a Diablo, I know but it's still a Lambo) the complete clutch assembly is: $1,843.

Which makes it within a few dollars of...

Guess?

An NSX clutch!

Where you're getting 15 to 20 thousand dollars from I have no idea, but it's not true.

Alternator? $1,162.43. Nowhere near the "$2000 it should be right?" nor the 4 grand you claim.

I couldn't even find this so called "drive belt" that you claim is another $10,000 USD.

As for mileage, I found 10 Diablos on eBay:

Highest milage: 27,651 miles. Lowest was 6,596. Guess they're all "high-mileage" cars?

Price: You're right for the most part, but I couldn't find one under a buy it now of $169,000. Granted that was for a 97 model, but I find it tough to figure a '95 is less than half that.

Fact: If you can maintain them, and they do need more maintenance than most cars, Lambos, Ferraris, hell even the mighty McLaren F1 are perfectly driveable.

There's even an F1 with more than 60,000 miles on it out there.

ZedMan
11-08-2006, 11:20 PM
Are you planing to service your own lambo, then? :rolleyes:

you forgot about labour costs.

dino_martini
11-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Why not just go buy one in Vancouver and drive it back. There are some good roads in BC.

b_t
11-08-2006, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
ya di doooo

please cite your sources

Because everything you said was either an outright lie or tremendous exagerration

95EagleAWD
11-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by ZedMan
Are you planing to service your own lambo, then? :rolleyes:

you forgot about labour costs.

So, in Edmonton, you take it to Eurasia, which will work on Lambos and Ferraris.

Care to guess their rate?

Same as I pay at a dealer: 95 bucks an hour. At least thats what they told me when I asked for exhaust work on the Acura.

Now if you take it a Lambo dealer, I'm sure they will be more than happy to charge you 400 bucks an hour.

Graham_A_M
11-09-2006, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by b_t

please cite your sources

Because everything you said was either an outright lie or tremendous exagerration

how about meeting a few owners? does that qualify? :rolleyes:

95EagleAWD
11-09-2006, 12:06 AM

No.

Sources for those prices. I couldn't find a Lambo part anywhere near what you were talking about.

C4S
11-09-2006, 12:17 AM
Kulu is good, I did deal with him few times .. qulity products, fair price... never the lowesrt price, but you will get good service!

I hvn't hv experience wit ZR, even I go there for "viewing" a lots ..

They are both reputated shops.

They won't give you the lowest price, however, for a Ferrari or Lambo, price wont' be an issue, as long as "reasonable" price ..

If you want best deal, yeah .. you can go ebay or whatever, but we are talking a ~$150K car ... We are not talking of shopping for a Prelude or a Sunfire !! :D

95EagleAWD
11-09-2006, 12:23 AM
Yeah, check out lamborghini-chat.com and see if they have a marketplace.

I bought mine off NSXPrime.com and the guy I bought it from bought and 06 vette, sold it, got a 59 vette, sold it and is now back in an NSX.

Always buy from enthusiasts... they're honest and they love the car.

M.alex
11-09-2006, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Always buy from enthusiasts... they're honest and they love the car.

UNtil they tell you

700hp
650tq

200 shot of nitrous

Grocery getter, never raced :angel:

BerserkerCatSplat
11-09-2006, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by M.alex

UNtil they tell you

700hp
650tq

200 shot of nitrous

Grocery getter, never raced :angel:

:rofl: Touche!

jcrules99
11-09-2006, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by C4S
Kulu is good, I did deal with him few times .. qulity products, fair price... never the lowesrt price, but you will get good service!

I hvn't hv experience wit ZR, even I go there for "viewing" a lots ..

They are both reputated shops.

They won't give you the lowest price, however, for a Ferrari or Lambo, price wont' be an issue, as long as "reasonable" price ..

If you want best deal, yeah .. you can go ebay or whatever, but we are talking a ~$150K car ... We are not talking of shopping for a Prelude or a Sunfire !! :D

UNCALLED FOR! how dare you include prelude with a sunfire!:rofl: :rofl:

ryder_23
11-09-2006, 04:33 AM

Being a high paid cabbie, driving "high profile" people around, and having them lie out their ass to you doesn't count.

only to power the rear drive shaft; via a drive belt.

So the rear drive shaft is belt driven? This I have to see

95EagleAWD, found a clutch kit, oem, for diablo, 4200$us. Still well short. must be like 10-15000$ for labour.

As for alternator, I'm sure you can find someone to rebuild it for 500 or less, easily.

me&you
11-09-2006, 10:13 AM
Thanks to all for pointing out Graham_A_M has his head firmly up his ass...

One more point in addition to the others he was sooooo wrong on: There is no use in looking to US Lambos as a price comparison... can't import US Lambos until the 15 year rule kicks in.

BTW, I have a feeling that this thread started with a subtle interest in the SV at ZR... If that is the case, M. Alex, please get a mileage confirmation before putting any money on the car.

rage2
11-09-2006, 11:23 AM
Actually, lambos fall under a different set of import rules. I guess if you've imported one, you'll know what i'm talking about. ZR had a US imported diablo from New York a while back, and had some odo rollback problems. Not sure how that one ended up.

CalgarySupra
11-09-2006, 12:03 PM
i bouht a 4 runner from them in late 2003 good people. funny you go to other "Dealerships" and treat you like shit and say what you drive is garbage.

yeah like people said zahir must be doing something good /right to stay open and getting million dollar cars every week

even if he has other business'es hes still around eh?

M.alex
11-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by me&you
Thanks to all for pointing out Graham_A_M has his head firmly up his ass...

One more point in addition to the others he was sooooo wrong on: There is no use in looking to US Lambos as a price comparison... can't import US Lambos until the 15 year rule kicks in.

BTW, I have a feeling that this thread started with a subtle interest in the SV at ZR... If that is the case, M. Alex, please get a mileage confirmation before putting any money on the car.

I thought the importing rule only applied to stuff from over-seas like Japan? Pretty sure you can bring up a US car as long as you go through all the paperwork :confused:

Yea, that SV 3was one of the ones I was looking at - however, maybe I want to be looking at the Countach instead - boss is pressing me on it and after watching this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkS4D7Us5eE&search=lamborghini%20countach%20kit%20car - I must say it does sound badass :D

Choices choices :drool:

E36M3
11-09-2006, 12:38 PM
Have you ever driven either? I'd definitely recommend a more modern version, even a higher mileage Murcielago.. between the two, I would definitely go for a Diablo.

I thought the importing rule only applied to stuff from over-seas like Japan? Pretty sure you can bring up a US car as long as you go through all the paperwork :confused:

Yea, that SV 3was one of the ones I was looking at - however, maybe I want to be looking at the Countach instead - boss is pressing me on it and after watching this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkS4D7Us5eE&search=lamborghini%20countach%20kit%20car - I must say it does sound badass :D

Choices choices :drool:

rage2
11-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Well here's the thread about the SV and the odometer problem. The original owner says he sold it with 50,000km and it was advertised by ZR originally with 16,000km. The current ad says 30,000 on ZR's website so ya I'd check up on that first.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=136004805

rage2
11-09-2006, 12:47 PM
Oh ya, that countach has the Kreissieg F1 exhaust system. It sounds totally badass on the Countach.

http://www.kreissieg.com/report/sound/9-26-LP500-6500.html
http://www.kreissieg.com/report/sound/9-26-LP500-start.html
http://www.kreissieg.com/report/sound/10-3-LP500-pc.html
http://www.kreissieg.com/report/sound/9-24-LP500-buri.html

They have this exhaust on the Diablo as well, but it doesn't sound as good... hehe.

http://www.kreissieg.com/report/sound/Soundmain.html#0002

E36M3
11-09-2006, 12:55 PM
The Capristo exhaust on the Murcielago was unbelievable. Unbelievable.. even better than a Tubi on an F50.

Oh ya, that countach has the Kreissieg F1 exhaust system. It sounds totally badass on the Countach.

http://www.kreissieg.com/report/sound/9-26-LP500-6500.html
http://www.kreissieg.com/report/sound/9-26-LP500-start.html
http://www.kreissieg.com/report/sound/10-3-LP500-pc.html
http://www.kreissieg.com/report/sound/9-24-LP500-buri.html

They have this exhaust on the Diablo as well, but it doesn't sound as good... hehe.

http://www.kreissieg.com/report/sound/Soundmain.html#0002

M.alex
11-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Well here's the thread about the SV and the odometer problem. The original owner says he sold it with 50,000km and it was advertised by ZR originally with 16,000km. The current ad says 30,000 on ZR's website so ya I'd check up on that first.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=136004805

Huh, interesting read - looks like I'm not looking at that one anymore, hehe, oh well, plenty of fish in the sea :D

Btw, I find it funny how zr told people that he was going to pull the ad, but apparently all he did was keep lowering the mileage on his webpage, lol.

69cougar
11-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by CalgarySupra

yeah like people said zahir must be doing something good /right to stay open and getting million dollar cars every week

even if he has other business'es hes still around eh?

Most of the cars he sells are via the internet and leave Canada/

483hp
11-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Ebay is the way to go since ZR is VERY overpriced. They want $299k for a 2001 6.0 when you can get one for literally half that in US dollars. Even after the GST and duties, your still $100k ahead.

On the Oct 2006 Transport Canada bulletin, Lambo's aren't on the admissible list, so you can't do that. Lamborghini also dumped their aging stockpile of parts for the Diablo and earlier cars as a huge tax writeoff thanks to Audi, so the parts are now even more expensive. With respect to EBay, I would never buy a car from there. This is my personal opinion. The number of scams and questionable dealers is overwhelming and it tends to be a dumping ground for abused cars or mediocre examples.

rage2
11-09-2006, 04:06 PM
^^^ Again, trust me, you can bring in *any* lambo from the US without problems regardless of age. Different set of rules for lambos (ya it's weird).

Weapon_R
11-09-2006, 05:49 PM
^^^ Again, trust me, you can bring in *any* lambo from the US without problems regardless of age. Different set of rules for lambos (ya it's weird).

So what are they? Or where are these rules posted?

tentacles
11-09-2006, 07:15 PM
I read on the other exotic boards that they are considered on a case-by-case basis, and may require $10ks of modifications. So unless you are a balla like rage2, there's no chance.

I am also looking for a wife to finance my upcoming Ferrari/Lambo dealership, I should set up a lavalife account and hit the gym a bit more. In the meantime, interested ladies on Beyond can PM me for details. No reasonable offer refused!

Canmorite
11-20-2006, 05:32 PM
I haven't bought anything from ZR Auto, but i've been to a lot their track days, drives and dinners.

Friend of mine has purchased two Exotics through ZR, and had nothing but good words

You do pay a little bit more at ZR, call it a premium, but from everyone i've talked to the service is amazing and he will go out of his way to make sure everything is to your liking.

Example:

We went to pick up his car from service. It wasn't ready yet, but he really wanted to go on the drive that weekend. ZR handed over the keys to one of the cars on the showroom (Twin-SC'd 360 Spider) and we were off.

If you're serious about a car go to ZR and Kulu. Can't hurt to see both sides...

Originally posted by 69cougar

Zahir told me that he loses money at ZR and that its his pawn business that sustains the losses. That and his wife makes some pretty good coin.

That's what i've heard a lot, also.

dino_martini
11-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Has anybody ever had any dealing with ZR Auto (Actual $$$$ deals, not looking around) - I've been thinking about buying a 97ish Diablo, but a few people have told me I should avoid them and just take the extra trouble of going to BC and flatbedding it here.

Of course stories are always a 'friend of a friend' got jacked by them, so I'd like to hear from somebody whose actually done business w/ them.

I havent bought a car from ZR, but I have been treated badly by ZR for being in the showroom :rolleyes: . If you dont decide to go with ZR or Kulu, I would definitly give this guy a call:

Keith @ rennsport calgary: 403.243.2234

4509 1st Street SE

www.rennsportcalgary.ca

He specializes in Porsche's but he can find just about anything. :thumbsup:

Canmorite
11-20-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini

I havent bought a car from ZR, but I have been treated badly by ZR for being in the showroom :rolleyes: . If you dont decide to go with ZR or Kulu, I would definitly give this guy a call:

Keith @ rennsport calgary: 403.243.2234

4509 1st Street SE

www.rennsportcalgary.ca

He specializes in Porsche's but he can find just about anything. :thumbsup:

There must be a reason why you were treated badly for being in the showroom. I've been there numerous times just to gawk and haven't had any problems.

dino_martini
11-20-2006, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

There must be a reason why you were treated badly for being in the showroom. I've been there numerous times just to gawk and haven't had any problems.

Nope, I was in the showroom for maybe ten minutes, took a walk around the show room and some mechanic guy tells me to leave. :thumbsdow

frostyda9
11-20-2006, 07:26 PM

Nope, I was in the showroom for maybe ten minutes, took a walk around the show room and some mechanic guy tells me to leave. :thumbsdow

Did your apparel/style look like that of someone who has six+ figures to drop on a car? Hard reality of life: how you look and the perception of how much money you have will frequently determine the service you receive, at any venue.

AllGoNoShow
11-20-2006, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by frostyda9

Did your apparel/style look like that of someone who has six+ figures to drop on a car? Hard reality of life: how you look and the perception of how much money you have will frequently determine the service you receive, at any venue.

But for ZR that would be a very wierd assumption. Zahir himself looks like a piece of work everytime I have seen him, dressed in what some would call rediculous clothing. Would you see him doing 6 figure+? And he's the one who owns the joint.

jdm_eg6
11-20-2006, 07:34 PM
Diablo: i can find you one, PM me or check your pm's

dino_martini
11-20-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by frostyda9

I realize that, and I honestly didn't think I looked like a thug or homeless guy. So why not treat everyone that visits the showroom with a little respect?

But what ever, I'm not here to argue about my experience with ZR. All I know, is I will never spend a dime there and will direct people to another dealer who I have had great experience with.

frostyda9
11-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow

But for ZR that would be a very wierd assumption. Zahir himself looks like a piece of work everytime I have seen him

That may be true, but it didn't come from him, it came from the mechanic. BTW - isn't Zahir the guy that's all blinged out in gold all the time?

I realize that, and I honestly didn't think I looked like a thug or homeless guy. So why not treat everyone that visits the showroom with a little respect?

They should. Any business should. But at the same time, it is a business and not a viewing gallery, and if you have no intent to buy they have every right to tell you to be on your way. That said, I don't agree with the way they treated you, but I can sort of understand where it might be coming from. I don't know why the mechanic (of all people) would care in the first place though :dunno:

483hp
11-20-2006, 11:40 PM

But what ever, I'm not here to argue about my experience with ZR. All I know, is I will never spend a dime there and will direct people to another dealer who I have had great experience with.

I wouldn't get too worked up. The shop was probably busy and they didn't have time to keep an eye on people in the showroom if nobody else was around. Zahir's employees are always very courteous.

I've had salespeople ignore me at the F dealerships. Too bad for them. They didn't get the commission!

dino_martini
11-21-2006, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by 483hp

I wouldn't get too worked up. The shop was probably busy and they didn't have time to keep an eye on people in the showroom if nobody else was around. Zahir's employees are always very courteous.

The place was dead. I was the only one in there. :drama: