PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye M5 and Z8

calarina
05-06-2003, 02:43 PM
Last night, BMW formally announced the discountinuation of the BMW M5, and BMW Z8. The Z8 just cost too much money, and a select few people could afford the $160,000 vehicle. In replace of the M5, a new BMW 5 series is being brought to the public attention. This new 5 series, will be a smaller version of the luxurious 7 series.

I don't know any specs of this new 5 series, but it is sad that BMW has decided to discontinue the M5.

max_boost
05-06-2003, 02:45 PM
Too bad the complete BMW line with the exception of the 3 series looks like ass

TalonVelocity
05-06-2003, 02:50 PM
too bad I look like ass

;)

Ven
05-06-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Too bad the complete BMW line with the exception of the 3 series looks like ass

You got that right. *shudder*

kaput
05-06-2003, 03:32 PM

max_boost
05-06-2003, 03:57 PM
I hope BMW gets their sh!t together or else their future is going to look fairly bleak.

Their base 3 series is expensive, lacks power, and refinement.

Mercedes is killing them in the horsepower war and I don't even want to get started on the looks of the 5/7 series.

Ben
05-06-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I hope BMW gets their sh!t together or else their future is going to look fairly bleak.

Their base 3 series is expensive, lacks power, and refinement.

Mercedes is killing them in the horsepower war and I don't even want to get started on the looks of the 5/7 series.

No kidding.

not all People care about having the most technological car on the planet. Some actually care about what it *gasp*:eek: looks like! :eek: *gasp*

rage2
05-06-2003, 04:04 PM
Well, they ARE announcing a new M5 to replace the old M5. That's why it's being discontinued. They discontinued the 2002 E55 as well. That's cuz the new E55 is coming in 2004.

The new M5 is coming in with a 500hp V10. People will forget the old one shortly.

kaput
05-06-2003, 04:09 PM

cocoabrova
05-06-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by calarina
This new 5 series, will be a smaller version of the luxurious 7 series.
I thought that's what ALL 5-series were:dunno::confused:

ZorroAMG
05-06-2003, 04:28 PM
They have not discontinued the M5, just updated it with a new model release...the E39(is that right?) was just getting tired in the way of looks and lacks the power to match it's new competitors. They are simply discontinuing the chassis M5 while replacing it with another code, which is what they have done with every new model launch of all their vehicles including all M5's in the past

E36M3
05-06-2003, 05:58 PM
Many manufacturers release a 'performance' version of a given model a couple years after the release of the base models. BMW is no different. The new 5 series (not based on the 7 series, not sure where you got that from) will be introduced without an M5, but the M5 will be phased in a couple years. As with every previous generation of 5 series that has had an M5, they discontinued the M5 for the introduction of the new series, and this is nothing new.

The Z8 was not cancelled due to lack of interest, infact they sold every example made.

The truth is that they stopped production with the previous model year, and the current Z8 is actually manufactured by Alpina. BMW saw the Z8 as an image car, and not as a long term viable product. Many manufacturers (ie. Ferrari) do this from time to time, and I think it is a great practice. The Alpina Z8 is an ultimate example of this.

Originally posted by calarina
Last night, BMW formally announced the discountinuation of the BMW M5, and BMW Z8. The Z8 just cost too much money, and a select few people could afford the $160,000 vehicle. In replace of the M5, a new BMW 5 series is being brought to the public attention. This new 5 series, will be a smaller version of the luxurious 7 series.

I don't know any specs of this new 5 series, but it is sad that BMW has decided to discontinue the M5.

chrisgushue
05-06-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Well, they ARE announcing a new M5 to replace the old M5. That's why it's being discontinued. They discontinued the 2002 E55 as well. That's cuz the new E55 is coming in 2004.

The new M5 is coming in with a 500hp V10. People will forget the old one shortly.
:burnout: sweeeeeeeeeet:drool: im no longer upset haha