PDA

View Full Version : Lexus LS460: The self parking car?

buh_buh
11-08-2006, 09:36 PM
I just saw a commercial for it, and sounds pretty sweet (although I don't even mind parking). But it'll be good for those who like parking on lines or the 90% of the population who don't know how to parallel park. What'll they come up with next? :nut:

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/lexus-ls-460-auto-park-demonstration

soupey
11-08-2006, 09:50 PM
question is....can it get u out of those spots?...seemed pretty tight between those 2 stacks of wine glasses...

95EagleAWD
11-08-2006, 10:29 PM
For the amount of times I parallel park, it's stupid.

I can count on both hands how many times I 've done it since I was 16.

schurchill39
11-09-2006, 12:03 AM
Link is down

Tik-Tok
11-09-2006, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Ah yes, because they're marketing the LS460 solely to Edmonton, not big cities like New York, or LA.

Altezza
11-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Ironic that the self-park feature is on a car where most owners probably will pay for valet parking. :rofl:

Zephyr
11-09-2006, 12:33 AM
It's a tad complicated to use for older audiences too..

but lexus doesn't care, they wanna stab at BMW again with it.

buh_buh
11-09-2006, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by schurchill39
Link is down
new link is up

Kaos
11-09-2006, 04:38 AM
Must be expensive for that unit to fuck up!
I'd hate to be owning that after 5 years its out and the warranty is done. :drama:

me&you
11-09-2006, 10:02 AM
Please view thislink and tell me how usefull you think it is...

http://www.fquick.com/videos/viewvideo.php?id=520

I think I'll manage on my own.

BTW, could Lexus be liable for any damage done under "automated" control?

Mitsu3000gt
11-09-2006, 10:05 AM
I think the main downfall with that system is it is very slow. You could likely try yourself 2 or 3 times in the time it would take the car to do it's perfect park. It's a good idea though, as alot of people are uncomfortable paralell parking and/or very bad at it and this will certainly help. I don't think its as important for cities like Calgary, but I think it will be very valuable for other cities where they rely more on paralell parking.

Cruz
11-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

I parallel park maybe 10 times per month. Nontheless, if you can't park, you shouldn't be driving.

Forget parallel, I've been in malls and have seen people make 5 manoeuvres just to get in or out of a stall. Pathetic.

bigboom
11-09-2006, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Cruz

I parallel park maybe 10 times per month. Nontheless, if you can't park, you shouldn't be driving.

Forget parallel, I've been in malls and have seen people make 5 manoeuvres just to get in or out of a stall. Pathetic.

agreed...if you cant parallel park on your own what kind of statement does that make about the rest of your driving skills?

Aleks
11-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Kaos
I'd hate to be owning that after 5 years its out and the warranty is done. :drama:

A friend's father's Q45 lost it's stability control and abs functions and the dealer can't fix it. They talked to Japan and still nothing. They don't know what to do now! :banghead: :nut:

IMO cars are getting a bit complex.

Redlyne_mr2
11-09-2006, 10:50 AM
Its an awesome system, you guys should see the car it's unreal, Lexus of Calgary should be getting their first few units in the next couple of days. The self parking works on parallel and pull in parking.

Rav4Guy
11-09-2006, 10:57 AM
first off.. no one on this board would be buying a LS460. So we don't need to worry about if WE would use it. It's more geared towards 40+ crowd anyways. Plus parking a LS460 is different then parking a honda.

anyways... It’s a great idea and the technology has been around for quite some time. Might as well put it on there and for the market that they advertise it to, it’s a good idea. Even if the owners don’t use it… it’ll be one NICE car.

gp36912
11-09-2006, 11:00 AM
it'd be a nice car for sure, but i wonder why bmw hasn't put theirs on the market yet.

o and i'm not even close to being surprised that we have this type of technology seeing as nasa already has rovers that can do that :D

ogpog
11-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Kaos

Yea, you would almost have to start parking on your OWN in order to get yourself out of that big of a problem. Gawsh

gp36912
11-09-2006, 11:05 AM
^^^ well that whole system is computer guided, if that system fucks up and its not the sensors or servos, i'd be worried about your computers.

7thgenvic
11-09-2006, 11:09 AM
thats wicked! that system would be great for a city like vancouver, and probably an old bag who'll be driving the car

rage2
11-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by gp36912
it'd be a nice car for sure, but i wonder why bmw hasn't put theirs on the market yet.
BMW and Mercedes have their self-park features in the European market already (for 1-2 years already). They don't feel it's ready for the US "lawsuit happy" market yet.

Mitsu3000gt
11-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Also, if I had a Lexus LS460 I wouldn't be parking anywhere near other cars anyways. Even now, at the very least, I park where only one person can park beside me and I hug the curb on the other side to give ample room. I have seen too many people just retardedly open their doors into other people's cars. Parking beside mini vans are bad news too, often people go back to the van with an arms full of groceries or a bunch of kids who don't know better.

Ichigo
11-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by soupey
question is....can it get u out of those spots?...seemed pretty tight between those 2 stacks of wine glasses...

The unpark package is another $3000. That's how they get you.:angel:

jasonrx-7
11-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Rav4Guy
It's more geared towards 40+ crowd anyways. Plus parking a LS460 is different then parking a honda.

And blondes!!!
:rofl:

Moe Man
11-09-2006, 12:01 PM
its not about how many times you parallel park in a week. its a marketing thing, people talk about it like we are, and they go and buy it. soon every one else will follow

Tik-Tok
11-09-2006, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Moe Man
... soon every one else will follow

*runs out to buy LS460*

Oh, wait... $100,000? I can barely afford my $30,000 car.

Altezza
11-09-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Rav4Guy
first off.. no one on this board would be buying a LS460. So we don't need to worry about if WE would use it. It's more geared towards 40+ crowd anyways. Plus parking a LS460 is different then parking a honda.

40+ ?? haha, more like 60+

SuPhistiKatEd
11-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Cars are becoming far too complex. Too many computer/electronic parts. Hell, the operating manuals are massive and take up the entire space of the glovebox. You almost need to take a course to learn how to operate some of the stuff.

I prefer simplicity. If you want heat in say, a Mercedes ML350, you turn the knob to the right and bingo! You get heat!

In a Lexus, like the one mentioned, if you want to turn the heat up, you have to navigate through a bunch of menus in the system to get to it...even if you wanted to adjust it 2 degrees. And when you're driving, that's not a good thing. The technology is far too distracting/complicated for some people.

I'm sure it's a nice feature but, like most of you have said, what if it breaks down? How much is it going to cost? and is it really necessary?

I'd be much happier in my 86 Camry (my first car) than my Jeep. No power this or that....no computers...nothing. Simple.

SilverBoost
11-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Another technology to make up for people's lack of ability. There's actually already the technology out there that does everything for you. It's called taxis. You know what else is fully automated? The bus.

I'm all for new advances, but it just keeps people from having to learn the basic skills of driving.

gp36912
11-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by rage2

BMW and Mercedes have their self-park features in the European market already (for 1-2 years already). They don't feel it's ready for the US "lawsuit happy" market yet.

sweet thanks for clearing that up.

cars will continue to get more complex and advanced. i mean take a look at mercedes s class :D its got more batteries than your calculator :D more sensors than a home security package.

max_boost
11-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Cool indeed.

I love my 330 because of two features, park distance control and the automatic tilting side mirrors. Never failed a parallel parking job with that. I don't think I need this expensive option for my future LExus :D

483hp
11-09-2006, 06:38 PM
The BMW system looks a lot simpler to use than this Lexus videogame nonsense.

Godfuader
11-09-2006, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by me&you
Please view thislink and tell me how usefull you think it is...

http://www.fquick.com/videos/viewvideo.php?id=520

I think I'll manage on my own.

BTW, could Lexus be liable for any damage done under "automated" control?

Seems kinda silly trying to make it parallel park into a stall. Believe it does Parallel and pull-in parking. Useless test, and their blog on automobilemag.com seemed equally pointless.

me&you
11-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader

Seems kinda silly trying to make it parallel park into a stall. Believe it does Parallel and pull-in parking. Useless test, and their blog on automobilemag.com seemed equally pointless.

Exactly, it is supposed to parallel and pull-in. Didn't seem to do too well on the pull in.

Never read the blog, but I'll take your work for it.

frostyda9
11-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by SuPhistiKatEd
I'm sure it's a nice feature but, like most of you have said, what if it breaks down? How much is it going to cost?

If you drive a $100k luxury car, who cares? Chances are that you'll trade it in within a couple years and get something new anyway. Neither the dealer nor the original owner will be concerned with potential repair costs 10 years down the road. If someone chooses to buy it when it's 10 years old, they do so knowing full well that the massive depreciation of the car is due to this potential for expensive failure.

scat19
11-09-2006, 08:54 PM
bmw did it first!

Moe Man
11-10-2006, 12:20 AM
so what if i told my son to take my lexus for his driving test.

i would bet my money that he is going to pass the parallel parking part :rofl:

Annoyingrob
11-10-2006, 04:02 AM
This is why I drive a 15 year old car. The most complicated thing on the car is maybe the electric mirrors.

When I drive a car, I want to DRIVE a car. I don't want to have the car drive for me.

blitz
11-10-2006, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Annoyingrob
This is why I drive a 15 year old car. The most complicated thing on the car is maybe the electric mirrors.

When I drive a car, I want to DRIVE a car. I don't want to have the car drive for me.

So that's the ONLY reason you don't drive a $100k car? :rofl:

silver_gs-R
11-10-2006, 11:02 PM
.................ummmmm yeah. some of the technology in some of these new cars.... well its way too much if you ask me.

but i guess thats a prety coool feature.

Annoyingrob
11-13-2006, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by blitz

So that's the ONLY reason you don't drive a $100k car? :rofl:

Heh, no. That's the only reason I don't drive a car with a lot of electronic gadgets.

I would love to have a $100k car. Actually, I would like to have 5 $20k cars, and a place to put them :)

Of course, I saw a nice Mitsu GTO this afternoon, soo much technology. Makes me rethink gadgets. Although, it is more to go wrong....