PDA

View Full Version : Morning Driving report...

fast95pony
11-09-2006, 07:48 AM
Hey kids , there's patchy freezing drizzle around the airport area of Calgary . Just drove to work and my windshield kept freezing up until it warmed up. Might want to wait a few minutes before driving. McKnight was just wet,but the side streets are icy..

Stay safe...

Aleks
11-09-2006, 07:54 AM
I didnt find it too bad SW -> DT once I got out of the side streets. On a morning like this it's easy to tell who's got snow tires and who doesn't. :banghead:

fast95pony
11-09-2006, 07:56 AM
Snow tires rock :thumbsup:

rage2
11-09-2006, 08:07 AM
ya, I can't understand people not buying winter tires for... *gasp* winter. Last night when the roads were pure ice, everyone, AWD, RWD, FWD couldn't get up my hill. Cars parked in the middle of the road. Here I am in a RWD car flying up the hill passing everyone like it was just wet. Suckers!

fast95pony
11-09-2006, 08:15 AM
Last night I was driving alongside a WRX STi on John Laurie.At every stoplight light,I pulled away better. He sat still and spun the tires. Two year old Blizzak WS50's work great in the snow and ice. :thumbsup:

rc2002
11-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Yeah that freezing rain was kind of annoying driving in this morning. But winter tires FTW - I totally think winter tires should be mandatory, then the city will be able to save on salting/sanding too and there'll be a hell of a lot less accidents.

Aleks
11-09-2006, 08:44 AM
It is annoying sitting at a light crawling up when it turns green because the two jackasses in front of me have bald summer tires on. Not to mention spinning their tires hard throwing gravel at my car.

I can understand if people truly can't afford them, but if you drive a nice shiny brand new 40K+ car? :banghead:

redline
11-09-2006, 08:48 AM
This a.m. it was fine but the way home is going to really bad!

Ben
11-09-2006, 08:52 AM
meh, Only took an hour this morning, but I left at 6 (the roads were already packed, I think people had the same idea as me), which I figured was pretty good, because some days in the middle of summer with the sun shining and birds chirping it can take over an hour commute. people need to learn how to drive, winter driving courses should be mandatory. the 25car pileup on McKnight and 84th is unacceptable, and should never happen. Pay atention losers.

I'm not looking forward to going home tho, took an hour and 20 minutes to get from McKnight to Chinook Centre last night at 5pm, and the roads were fine. Hopefully leaving at 4 will help.

nos_efx
11-09-2006, 09:29 AM
Just ease up on the gas when leaving a stop light, apparently some people think flooring it will make them go faster over the ice :dunno:

Winter tires should not be mandatory, COMMON SENSE should be mandatory

DoubleLP
11-09-2006, 09:38 AM
Everyone just needs to THINK more when weather like this hits. But a lot of people think that they can still drive like it is summer out. Or that because they have ABS they will stop quicker. ABS gives you the ability to steer out of a situation with bad conditions. It does NOT allow you to stop quicker. A lot of people just do not know that.

bspot
11-09-2006, 12:13 PM
I sure with I knew 4th street was closed this morning. I made the mistake of taking 10th and waited for 9 red lights to make it through ONE block :banghead:

A 2 hour drive that takes me 25 minutes in good conditions.

Tik-Tok
11-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Being a passenger in my sister-in-laws car last night was an eye opener as to how bad, bad drivers are... she slowed down for a red light, brakes locked up, she kept sliding... AND DIDN'T DO ANYTHING, just sat there, didn't try releasing brakes and lightly applying them again, pumping them, steering AWAY fromt he pole we were heading towards, just sat there frozen saying "Uhoh" :banghead:

Chalk one dented rim up and flat tire for her.