PDA

View Full Version : Can i get it registered???

Teggy
11-09-2006, 01:35 PM
hey guys so heres the story, A firend of my bro, has a family who ons a local mechanic shop. About 2 years ago they had a buddy come in with a cracked head on a 1990 nissan 240sx. The buddy decided not to get the car fixed as he thought it wasn;t worth the money or the time. So since then he has moved to B.C., never came to pick up the car. The shop has tried about a dozen times to reach him, to come get the car. No replies. Anyways i went by there the other day body is in decent shape aside from the cracked head, the car would be a nice project. The told me 500 dollars and it was mine. They said it would be no problem because the original owner has left it there, and would owe the storage fees if he ever came back to pick it up. Now heres my question.... Would i actually be able to purchase this car, and transfer the title leagally, register, insure??? or would i get in some sort of trouble buying it?..... Any help would be great guys.:thumbsup:

tictactoe2004
11-09-2006, 01:38 PM
I'm by no means an expert at this, but from what I understand mechanics can put a "mechanics lean" on a vehicle like that... if that is done properly there should be no problem.

topmade
11-09-2006, 01:51 PM
Interesting indeed. I did a quick search and it seems like you need someone with a tow truck license to file the correct paperwork.

The mechanic's lean is just a lean on the car and would have nothing to do with the title. They are just saying that they would make it over the value of the car so that the actual owner would go and buy himself another car if he ever came back to get it.

SilverBoost
11-09-2006, 02:34 PM
Just make sure all your ducks are in a row before ANY money exchanges hands. I would even make sure you can register it in your name and that a title can be put in your name before you pay.

Teggy
11-09-2006, 02:38 PM
i've called the registries on the issue they need the pin number before they can give me any info

Arthur Dent
11-09-2006, 05:02 PM
If you do buy it you might try registering it right away (put insurance storage on, register) before sinking any money into it. For $500 you can likely part it out if its unregisterable.

85regal
11-09-2006, 06:40 PM
I would think you cannot register it. unless there is something about buying an abandoned vehicle? maybe? hard to say. I think best bet is to get answers from the registry.

Supa Dexta
11-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Yeah if you find out you can't register it, find an old one, decent shape, with the engine gone or something, and use it for parts...

Annoyingrob
11-10-2006, 04:05 AM
Some small parts off of a donor car, and you can register it no problem :)