PDA

View Full Version : quick question

civiclvr
11-09-2006, 03:29 PM
Hey
umm well i'm in the process of saving for my first bike for next summer. Nothing too exciting of course. but i do have a question. I'm looking at a suzuki sv650, a kawasaki 500 and an older fzr 600. now my main question is:

After i become a little more comfortable with which ever bike i choose, which of these would be best for longer distance travel? I.e. i want to be able to buzz home to BC (about 1000km) every now and again. and i'm worried that the 500 might not like long distance travels..

basically i'm unsure as to what would more suit my needs. I want a sport-cruiser styling bike, but nothing too big or too fast. I know myself.

The other thing is that once i get one of the above bike (or something else that you guys may think of as a better choice) i don't think i'll ever want a bigger bike (scared of the larger disp. bikes..) which one will have the longest vitality? meaning one that i won't get bored of, (styling, power on demand yet nice in the lower end) Maitenance is not an issue, but handling, response (as in not too much jump) and reliablity are major concerns.

I think that's all. I really want to be safe out there (hence the smallish bikes) and have a good time and really get to know whichever bike i do get!

Supa Dexta
11-09-2006, 06:52 PM
the sv will easily get you thru a season or 2..

bikrbabe
11-09-2006, 07:49 PM
I definitely agree with dexta :thumbsup: the SV would be the way to go outta the three... but have you checked out the ninja 650? (it's got a pretty good price point brand new, and alot better features than all three listed. plus it looks the most modern)

Aleannex
11-09-2006, 08:08 PM
You'll be happiest with the FZR due to best power band of the three. For comfort I'd pick the SV.

BlueGoblin
11-10-2006, 12:55 PM
^
Whatever fits you best; fit and comfort on a motorcycle are very personal things, and on a thousand km ride, you are definitely going to want something that will keep you from getting the dreaded numb arse or leave you feeling beat up at the end.

I wouldn't necessarily be entirely afraid of larger displacement bikes; i am going to assume that while you haven't owned a bike you have or will be taking a good riders course. I am ususally very much of the opinion that lower power and lower displacement bikes are ideal for beginning riders, however there is a caveat to that - power delivery is also an important consideration and some of the larger, less sport oriented bikes can provide an easy to manage, non-peaky ride that isn't too intimidating. I have a friend that wanted something much along the lines you seem to be and she started with a VFR800. A bit on the large side, but she is about 5'11" and is very comfortable with it. I expect that except for the weight it would be no more challenging to ride than an FZR600.

Some of the BMW sport tourers can be reasonably easy to ride, if heavy, yet be fun and very comfortable. Heated grips are an extra bonus too.

Just to give you something else to think about through the winter...

civiclvr
11-10-2006, 03:41 PM
I will be taking courses for riding.. once i get a bike.. i want to take the course with the bike i will be using.. to gain comfort and confidence and get professional insight on th bike. I haven't ridden a bike in about 10 or 11 years, and back then it was dirtbikes.. and small ones at that.
I am about 6'-0" So i will look into the VFR800 and the ninja 650.
I want the sporty-ish styling but am not interested in the peak speed.. i have no need to be travelling at insane speeds, however, power can be nessesary at times to avoid other drivers.. so handling is paramount to me.. with a little pep.
I will research the two above mentioned bikes.. see if I can feel one out. The BMW sport tourers are nice.. and i was interested in them.. until i saw the price tag. And while i realise older BMW are affordable, i'm uneasy with knowing what they could have seen and been put through.. and more importantly, how they've been maintained
Thanks all for your input.. anything helps at this point.. i'm trying to set a goal to be able to afford it by next summer!
BlueGoblin thanks for your insight!! very helpful!

SOAB
11-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by civiclvr
I will be taking courses for riding.. once i get a bike.. i want to take the course with the bike i will be using..
sorry but i don't think this is a good idea. you will most likely drop your bike during the course. the reason why they supply the bikes for the course is for this exact reason. don't use your own bike.

BlueGoblin
11-18-2006, 08:10 AM
^ Totally agree with SOAB.

Take the course first and get that grounding in the street skills you need before you get on your own bike. Lots of guys crash in the spring when the temptation gets too high; waiting to get the course, the weather is nice, you bike is sitting there.... Not worth it.

Book now for the Spring sessions.

Oh, and with the BMW's - if you go to look at a BMW R series, and the owner is a middle aged guy with a beard smoking a pipe, chances are that it will be in better mechanical shape with 250,000 km on the clock than your average 2 year old CBR 600 from the bargain finder with 12,000 km. BMW owners can tend towards being almost obsessive compulsive - if you ask them about oil and get a 15 minute diatribe about different brands and formulae, then you have probably found the right bike.

And no, I don't have a BMW, at least not yet. I am thinking about selling my Triumph for a GS series though.

old&slow
11-18-2006, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by BlueGoblin
^ T

Oh, and with the BMW's - if you go to look at a BMW R series, and the owner is a middle aged guy with a beard smoking a pipe, chances are that it will be in better mechanical shape with 250,000 km on the clock than your average 2 year old CBR 600 from the bargain finder with 12,000 km. BMW owners can tend towards being almost obsessive compulsive - if you ask them about oil and get a 15 minute diatribe about different brands and formulae, then you have probably found the right bike.

Was going to say that but he said it better.
It's a tough choice when buying a bike cause it is very personal for fit and comfort. I like your thoughts toward power and handling. Good power is nice to have but handling is such a great asset. It also allows you to become confident quicker.
If you can afford it and if it is a long time love affair go with a BMW. You'll never look back.
No I dont own one either...it's not my style.