PDA

View Full Version : Harper wants your pee...

Tik-Tok
11-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Source (http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/TopStories/ContentPosting.aspx?newsitemid=CTVNews%2f20061110%2fdrunk_driving_061110&feedname=CTV-TOPSTORIES_V2&showbyline=True)

"The legislation will among other things provide police with more tools to detect drug-impaired driving, increase penalties for drug-impaired driving, strengthen presumptions of breath and blood tests and promote awareness about drug-impaired driving with partners like (Mothers Against Drunk Driving)Canada," Harper said at a press conference.

"Our goal will be to replicate many of the successful efforts over the past few years that have educated about the dangers of drunk driving."

The legislation aims to make drug-impaired driving as socially unacceptable as drunk-driving has become, Harper said.

Though the legislation will move to "strengthen presumptions" of breath and blood tests, there is currently no appropriate test in Canada to test for drug impairment.

"There are technological challenges in terms of testing for certain kinds of drugs," Harper conceded.

"But there are certain tests available and there are ways to strengthen the legislation to get convictions in clear cases" of driving under the influence of drugs, he said.

The new legislation, which will be introduced when the House of Commons returns from its Remembrance Day break, is designed to help deal with the growing threat of drug-impaired driving, Harper said.

Harper made the announcement in Kitchener, Ont. while attending the MADD-sponsored 19th Annual Project Red Ribbon Campaign.....

.....Using the tests, a skilled officer is usually capable of determining what drug a driver has been using. A bodily fluid is then demanded to confirm the results.

Tik-Tok
11-10-2006, 11:43 AM
This pisses me off. I'm not one to drug/drink and drive, but if a cop wants to be an ass, he could get a drug test on you, and nail you to the wall because you've smoked pot at some point in the past couple of weeks.

Until they figure out a way to definetively test if you are on drugs AT THAT POINT IN TIME, they should leave this alone and keep it in the "Driving under the influence" category.

QuasarCav
11-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
This pisses me off. I'm not one to drug/drink and drive, but if a cop wants to be an ass, he could get a drug test on you, and nail you to the wall because you've smoked pot at some point in the past couple of weeks.

Until they figure out a way to definetively test if you are on drugs AT THAT POINT IN TIME, they should leave this alone and keep it in the "Driving under the influence" category.

They can narrow it down to alot smaller time period than that. Most normal people should be able to recognize someone who is under the influence of pot, even the sneeky Visine potheads.

A3GTiVR6SC
11-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

:werd:

I was thinkin the same thing.:thumbsdow
how long does pot even stay in your system?
i heared it was like 7 months:dunno:

01RedDX
11-10-2006, 07:37 PM

5hift
11-10-2006, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

even the sneeky Visine potheads.

Haha theres quite a few of em

Toma
11-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Fuck Harpers is gay... as if cops don't have enough power as it is.

What's next.... blood samples?

DayGlow
11-10-2006, 08:28 PM
uhm, blood demand is already there in impaired laws if you are unable to blow.

Toma
11-10-2006, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow
uhm, blood demand is already there in impaired laws if you are unable to blow.

really?? without a court order?

Commies :poosie:

blueripper6
11-10-2006, 09:57 PM
FUCK THAT

Bullshit.. more laws, ugh.

Piss test? Ask me to piss in a cup, im gonna fucking piss in, on, and around that fucking cup. LOL....

so what the fuck, do you just piss outside into this cup?
Because, wouldnt they be able to charge you with public urination?

barbarian
11-11-2006, 07:09 PM
There has to be a threshold set. So long as they are not doing hair samples, the THC they find will fall-off as time progresses since you last hit the bong. I do not think that hair samples could be used, as there is no evidence that smoking up last month will affect your driving abilities now.

A legal threshold has to be set high enough that someone who merely walks through a room where weed is being smoked isn't going to get busted. On the other hand, someone who is genuinely stoned will be caught.

An additional of a legal threshold being established is that ultimately this leads to defacto legalization of pot--well, small amounts, anyways.

Sooner or later someone will make helpful charts for body weight and amount of pot just like there is for alcohol.

I would think that it would be in the interest of most of this board to not be sharing the road with a stoned driver.

A potential problem is that while almost 100% of cops have had alcohol, been drunk, and been around drunk people, the same does not go for weed. The unfamiliarity of some of the cops with weed will lead to different reactions. I think everyone enforcing this should get sat down in a room with the Grateful Dead playing in the background, a big bowl of chips, and be administered a small metered dose of THC in dissolved liquid form, so they know what effects it has.

Tik-Tok
11-11-2006, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by barbarian

Sooner or later someone will make helpful charts for body weight and amount of pot just like there is for alcohol.

That's my bitch, the fact that technology hasn't been able to produce a financially viable test to see if a person has any active THC currently in their system.

I'm all for busting druggy drivers, but they need a SOLID way to validify how stoned someone is before they make these laws.

Just using "police discretion" and a piss test isn't going to help anyone, it'll just bog the system down.

DayGlow
11-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Well I think it would be like alcohol right now. You observe the erractic driving, pull the person over and then observe the signs of impairment, be it alcohol or other drugs, then proceed depending on what is observed.

Its not like a person driving down the street obeying all the rules of the road will be pulled over and forced to piss in a cup.

Xtrema
11-11-2006, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow
Its not like a person driving down the street obeying all the rules of the road will be pulled over and forced to piss in a cup.

You know how it is, everyone bitches about cops.