PDA

View Full Version : Telus TV

andres_mt
11-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Anybody heard about this new feature from Telus?

http://www.mytelus.com/tv/index.do

Just looking for some feedback from those of you that have this. Family is looking into getting this since we can get 40% off monthly. First impression I got from off their website that it's just as good as Shaw Digital Cable as far as selection of channels. Not too sure about the quality though.

Anyways any feedback would be great. Thanks.

- andres_mt

izzoblitzo
11-10-2006, 08:19 PM
I ordered the service, and they came and were trying to install the necessary cables and whatnot, thinking about cutting through my walls and fishing wires and stuff.. I dont have a problem with that, but as long as you keep the damage to a minimum..

but then after they move all the furniture out of the way, I found out that they could only serve TWO televisions. This was what I suspected when they advertised it to me over the phone. I specifically asked the lady if I could have 4+ television hookups, and she said yes. But the installer guy explained to me I could only have two. I have four televisions in the house, so I wasnt about to give up two televisions for that!!

And they could only give you their service whereever they can fish their cables. So being that my feed comes in through the basement, ho on earth was I supposed to get a connection in my room on the second floor? that's one heck of a wiring job.

So I told them it wasnt going to work.. so the guys left and just hung out in front of my house for like, an hour to burn time.

Unless you're in a bachelor suite, I wouldnt really recommend it.

andres_mt
11-10-2006, 08:23 PM
^ How's the quality though?

adam c
11-10-2006, 08:33 PM
^^he didnt get it installed

lint
11-10-2006, 08:39 PM
The quality is ok, but I find they're stilll working out the bugs. The 2 TV limitation is still there, supposed to be solved with the next gen modem, but don't know when that will be. There are still times when there is freezing, blocking, etc, although they've gotten better. If you get the Telus discount, it's worth it, otherwise, I think that SHAW does better TV. Oh, and although they say that HD is coming, no idea how that's going to happen when they still can't get more than 2 TVs hooked up currently.

izzoblitzo
11-10-2006, 08:45 PM
yeah I didnt get it installed.. those guys were outta there so fast when I found out about being limited to two tv's.

Did they have to fish lots of wire when you got the service, Lint?

If they offered more tv's, even though there's no HD (I have HD tv's, but it's not really that big of a deal to me), they'll still have to fish wire all over the place.. I dont know.. if they do that, I think it'd look like crap, with wires coming in through the heating vents and whatever. If they could tap into the existing cable tv jacks once the service enters the house, that would be the most ideal.

andres_mt
11-10-2006, 09:58 PM
What is the on-screen interface like though? Similar to shaw's?

lint
11-10-2006, 10:00 PM
they need to pull cat 5 for the tv's. They put a small hole in one of my walls to the spare room, and they pulled the other through the vents, so it's not bad. Tuck the loose wires under the baseboards.

personally, if you don't get a discount, go with shaw. Especially if you have shaw internet. It's just easier (more outlets, HD, almost every house is prewired for cable) and the price is better with the bundling.

It's much easier for shaw to move into the phone side than it is for telus to move into the tv side, due to the existing infrastructure and capacity.

lint
11-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by andres_mt
What is the on-screen interface like though? Similar to shaw's?

I'm not that familia with shaws, but they're all pretty similar. I do find it more user friendly than bell expressview though.

Hash_man
11-10-2006, 11:19 PM
I like the Telus TV interface... Its really easy to use, and the channel packages are great in my opinion.

But ya, for most people the 2 tv limitation kind of sucks.

And I find the quality of the service to be pretty comparable to shaw. Keep in my, the TV's we have are kind of older, but it definately does the trick./

hukgwai
11-10-2006, 11:38 PM
quality is terrible when compared to bell or shaw and your internet slows down when you watch tv. unfortunately they won't have HD available when the next modems are released... their next infrastructure build is called adsl2+ and it still won't support HD.