PDA

View Full Version : Muslim community wants to stop alleged gang

collectskulls
11-11-2006, 09:21 AM
Anyone see this on the news last night?

Last couple lines should make you wonder...

"We want to stop this evil right here, I will call it, before it goes to the next level," says Soharwardy,

It's not known how many teens are involved in this alleged gang. Soharwardy says he's been told it may have formed this summer with Muslim youth from a few different countries of origin.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/RTGAMArticleHTMLTemplate/B/20061110/muslim?brand=generic&hub=&tf=CFCNPlus/generic/hubs/frontpage.html&cf=CFCNPlus/generic/hubs/frontpage.cfg&slug=muslim&date=20061110&archive=CFCNPlus&ad_page_name=&nav=home&subnav=fullstory&site_cfcn=http://calgary.ctv.ca

joyridder
11-11-2006, 11:13 AM
Funny how they are just "shocked" by the possibility of gangs with in their community. It is sad and unfortunate, but with a city of a million ppl, what else would they expect. Certainly harder to grow up now then since when I was younger... :dunno:

soupey
11-11-2006, 11:51 AM
hahaha

"muslim domination/connection":rofl:...sounds like a joke

jay42w8
11-11-2006, 12:52 PM
fucking toma :nut:

barbarian
11-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Solution for this is to aggressively deport anyone involved in violent criminal activity who is not a born citizen.

Edit: Just to add, I'm all for diversity, but if someone wants to come here and engage in criminal activity, fuck them. I don't think it should matter if they've acquired citizenship after arriving, if they're involved in drugs and violent crime, strip their citizenship and send them to be rehabilitated by their home country. For anyone born here, well now they are our problem.

collectskulls
11-11-2006, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by barbarian
Solution for this is to aggressively deport anyone involved in violent criminal activity who is not a born citizen.

Edit: Just to add, I'm all for diversity, but if someone wants to come here and engage in criminal activity, fuck them. I don't think it should matter if they've acquired citizenship after arriving, if they're involved in drugs and violent crime, strip their citizenship and send them to be rehabilitated by their home country. For anyone born here, well now they are our problem.

:werd: :werd: :werd:

TrevorK
11-11-2006, 05:57 PM

I agree.

It doesn't matter what country they're from (Even the US). If they come here to become a citizen and start breaking our laws let's kick them straight out. If they face persecution in their home country, that's their issue to deal with. Perhaps they should have considered that before they knowingly broke our laws.

3G
11-11-2006, 06:48 PM
It's Muslim Domination NOT Daminance btw

A3GTiVR6SC
11-11-2006, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by 3G

That shit still around??
dammm..... I thought it was over in HS! :banghead:

KuruptEX
11-11-2006, 06:52 PM
lol fags just a bunch of whitehorn station hoodrats

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

KuruptEX
11-11-2006, 06:55 PM
me being muslim all i gotta say is

put these fags up against a real gang and watch them piss there pants

turbotrip
11-11-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by 3G

haha i thought that shit died down a couple of years ago, most of these MD guys should be around 22-25 now, i think its about time to grow up

doublepostwhore
11-12-2006, 08:35 PM
black aman

Crymson
11-12-2006, 08:41 PM
If you guys know so fucking much about them, why don't you quit jabbering on here and phone the cops and toss some names at them. Otherwize you're part of the problem, not the solution.

KuruptEX
11-12-2006, 08:42 PM
toss some name hmm .....WHITEHORN HOODRATS

Supa Dexta
11-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
If you guys know so fucking much about them, why don't you quit jabbering on here and phone the cops and toss some names at them. Otherwize you're part of the problem, not the solution.

true enough in a way.. We always have threads on here about: my shit got stolen, calgary is turning into a shitty place to live, some punks did this/that, so and so got stabbed/killed/stomped...

..oh but I ain't a rat..

rat on dirt bag punks? it cancels out...

3G
11-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Why don't I call the cops and rat them out? I went to school with these guys roughly 4 years ago, i dont know if they're still in it or if they're even in calgary and frankly dont give 2 fucks about that shit

KuruptEX
11-13-2006, 03:58 AM
ahahahahah
i tihnk i found the muslim connection banner

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a250/tarchichi/7ed7e61d.gif
http://tinypic.com/iz5c89.jpg

fuck did they have to put the pakistani flag up there sigh......

source:muslimpride on nexopia:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

turab16
11-13-2006, 05:36 AM
get that Pakistani flag out of there..... NOW!!

hehehehe stupid kids when will they learn / grow up

soupey
11-13-2006, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by KuruptEX
ahahahahah
i tihnk i found the muslim connection banner

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a250/tarchichi/7ed7e61d.gif
http://tinypic.com/iz5c89.jpg

fuck did they have to put the pakistani flag up there sigh......

source:muslimpride on nexopia:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
hahaha u kno itsa bunch of fobs when they spell connections wrong.

err india flag?....majority of pop = hindu = soupey:banghead:

brownskind
11-13-2006, 01:28 PM
These guys are makin all middle eastern people look bad they need to take off the pakistani flag cuz they dont have a clue wat karachi is like these are mostly refugees that run awat from war and come here to start shit cuz they think that they crazy cuz they heard gun shots i thought i was hard when i moved here in grde 11 jus cause of those revolutionary political groups in karachi

dankish1
11-13-2006, 02:49 PM
lol this is not a new gang! it has been around for years.
i was friends with a few of the people in it when i was in high school. it sorta broke up and now has came back toghter
i duno why they are so shocked seeing how half the muslims i know are nutty:nut:
the name used to be muslim domination though.
when they fight they all scream MD
lol its kinda funny.

Crymson
11-13-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by dankish1
i was friends with a few of the people in it when i was in high school. it sorta broke up and now has came back toghter
i duno why they are so shocked seeing how half the muslims i know are nutty:nut:
lol its kinda funny.

Yah, really fucking hilarous.

This is exactly what calgary needs right now : one more reason to avoid groups of brown youths. Way to represent.

KuruptEX
11-13-2006, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by brownskind
These guys are makin all middle eastern people look bad they need to take off the pakistani flag cuz they dont have a clue wat karachi is like these are mostly refugees that run awat from war and come here to start shit cuz they think that they crazy cuz they heard gun shots i thought i was hard when i moved here in grde 11 jus cause of those revolutionary political groups in karachi

word send them to peshawar, pakistan :rofl: :rofl:

A3GTiVR6SC
11-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by dankish1
lol its kinda funny.

LMFAO I seen that shit yo lol I pissed myself laughing i'm still laughing u can hear them MD MD MD MD MD MD MD MD hhhahahahha

writhen
11-13-2006, 09:03 PM
There's a group of these fobs at Ucalgary as well. Every time I try to play pool at the cove...I swear to god. 20 brown guys bickering away like goats around one pool table.5 different dialects going..not one word of english. What the fuck? "When in Rome, do as the Romans"...or get the fuck out.

I'm a mix, part indian, part srilankan, and part british, so I feel kind of guilty saying that. I try my best not to be racist and to treat everyone equally. But when kids act like complete idiots, your instincts kick in and you just wanna curb stomp them.

Canada isn't fucking Pakistan or Iraq or India or Jamaica or wherever the hell your 'homies' are from. You're blessed to live in this country in relative peace, respect that and try to maintain it.

collectskulls
11-13-2006, 09:31 PM
So many letter writers have explained how this land is made up of immigrants. Maybe we should turn to our history books and point out to people why today's Canadian is not willing to accept the new kind of immigrant any longer.

Back in 1900 when there was a rush from all areas of Europe to come to Canada , people had to get off a ship and stand in a long line in Halifax and be documented. Some would even get down on their hands and knees and kiss the ground.

They made a pledge to uphold the laws and support their new country in good and bad times. They made learning English a primary rule in their new Canadian households and some even changed their names to blend in with their new home. They had waved good bye to their birth place to give their children a new life and did everything in their power to help their children assimilate into one culture.

Nothing was handed to them. No free lunches, no welfare, no labour laws to protect them. All they had were the skills, craftsmanship and desire they had brought with them to trade for a future of prosperity.

Most of their children came of age when World War II broke out. Canadians fought along side men whose parents had come straight
over from Germany , Italy , France , Japan , Czechoslovakia , Russia , Sweden , and so many other places. None of these first generation Canadians ever gave any thought about what country their parents had come from.

They were Canadians fighting Hitler, Mussolini and the Emperor of Japan . They were defending the Freedom as one people. When we liberated France , no one in those villages was looking for the Ukrainian-Canadian or the German-Canadian or the Irish-Canadian. The people of France saw only Canadians.

And we carried one flag that represented our country. Not one of those immigrant sons would have thought about picking up another country's flag and waving it to represent who they were. It would have been a disgrace to their parents who had sacrificed so much to be here. These immigrants truly knew what it meant to be a Canadian. They stirred the melting pot into one red and white bowl.

And here we are in 2006 with a new kind of immigrant who wants the same rights and privileges. Only they want to achieve it by playing with a different set of rules, one that includes a Canadian passport and a guarantee of being faithful to their mother country. I'm sorry, that's not what being a Canadian is all about.

Canadians have been very open hearted and open minded regarding immigrants, whether they were fleeing poverty, dictatorship, persecution, or whatever else makes a person adopt a foreign country. And, I suppose when we say adopt, we think of those aforementioned immigrants who truly did ADOPT our country, and our flag and our morals and our customs. And left their wars, hatred, and divisions behind. I believe that the immigrants who landed in Canada in the early 1900s deserve better than that for the toil, hard work and sacrifice in raising future generations to create a land that has become a beacon for those legally searching for a better life. I think they would be appalled that they are being used as an example by those waving foreign country flags, fighting foreign battles on our soil, making Canadians change to suit their religions and cultures, and wanting to change our countries fabric by claiming discrimination when we do not give in to their demands.

writhen
11-13-2006, 09:53 PM
skulls has got it dead on.:thumbsup:

01RedDX
11-13-2006, 11:56 PM

turab16
11-14-2006, 12:01 AM
Being an immigrant i find it amazing to speak in my language and find my regional people here all living in harmony and trying to make an honest living...........

writhen, i think speaking in your own language doesn't have to be assumed as disrespect to others.....
as long as respect is there... motha fucka you can speak in any language and thats wht makes canada more cool than USA.........

PS: ^^ that was a funny expression had to get it in there....

Originally posted by writhen
There's a group of these fobs at Ucalgary as well. Every time I try to play pool at the cove...I swear to god. 20 brown guys bickering away like goats around one pool table.5 different dialects going..not one word of english. What the fuck? "When in Rome, do as the Romans"...or get the fuck out.

I'm a mix, part indian, part srilankan, and part british, so I feel kind of guilty saying that. I try my best not to be racist and to treat everyone equally. But when kids act like complete idiots, your instincts kick in and you just wanna curb stomp them.

Canada isn't fucking Pakistan or Iraq or India or Jamaica or wherever the hell your 'homies' are from. You're blessed to live in this country in relative peace, respect that and try to maintain it.

writhen
11-14-2006, 12:21 AM
I agree that language can be diverse and really has nothing to do with the issue at hand. however, its annoying when theres 20 guys going off in a variety of different languages when you're trying to focus on a game of pool..or anything else for that matter. Not everyone wants to hear that in public..especially when its disrupting and annoying.
Fact is that Canada is going from a state of peace to an escalating sense of discomfort due to multiple issues such as the glass-case effect, over-immigration, unwillingness to adaptation of said immigrants, etc...

doublepostwhore
11-14-2006, 12:27 AM
How does throwing names at the CPS really effect gang situations?

Do you know how many undercovers there are fighting the same war everyday? Gangs are as much a part of life as driving, they're both destructive and harmful, but no one is able/willing to be a whistler blower.
And you dont think the cops are crooked? haha They get a piece of the action, why would the kill it?

I dont see you out throwing out names of cops who are making money on the side from busting other crooks. oh you dont know of any? then start auditing the police force instead of the HS bullshitters.

There is no wrong place at the wrong time incidence, if you are out at 2am at whitehorn station sporting gucci and armani, expect to get jumped. Just dont be stupid and you are good to go.

Would you leave your ferrari in the middle of the projects in the bronx? no? so then why go where trouble is.

What I dont understand is why everyone is so up in arms about the immigrants, where are you on the HS dealers? not all of them are asian/brown look to the suburbs.

PS why does everyone hate other people speaking other languages so much? do I care when someone busts french? no (but I speak it too) who cares? are you paranoid they are planning a 'jihad' on you?

Envitro
11-14-2006, 12:29 AM
As a former landed-immigrant who left a war-torn country in the early 90's with my family, I must say that I cannot agree with you guys here more.

My family has adopted this country as ours, just like this country adopted us as one of its own. We felt a duty to learn English quickly, get education, and become productive members of this society so that we can have a good life and contribute something useful.

These pieces of shit that start this crap are the lowest of the low and need to be deported, along with all of their family members back to the fucking dump that they came from.

This should deter all try-hard gangbangers from pulling similar shit.

writhen
11-14-2006, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by doublepostwhore
PS why does everyone hate other people speaking other languages so much? do I care when someone busts french? no (but I speak it too) who cares? are you paranoid they are planning a 'jihad' on you?

French and English are national languages of Canada. By speaking another other language on a frequent basis in public, right there you're alienating yourself from your country members. I personally think that in itself isn't the smartest thing to do. It leads to unecessary bias and stereotypes. Like I said, "When in Rome..."

doublepostwhore
11-14-2006, 12:49 AM
^ so you are telling me language isnt a part of culture? Canada boasts multiculturalism, and not the melting pot of the US.

Okay. Then does that mean you eat exclusively poutine and maple candy? no? you eat 'chinese food', 'Indian Curry' and Sushi? So you are in actuality a hypocrite that will take advantage of the aspects that you pick and choose as admirable and discredit those which you believe are cause for "alienation".

You are eating 'culture'.

01RedDX
11-14-2006, 12:59 AM

writhen
11-14-2006, 01:10 AM
Thanks, RedDX. Boast multiculturalism all you want, but when it interferes with the culture (yes, canada has its own culture), values, and morals of this country its a completely different story. At that point the goverment has to make a decision not to support such behaviour and take appropriate action to warn any other instigators.

turbotrip
11-14-2006, 05:56 AM

this is one of the stupidest posts ive read on beyond, your saying that these guys cant speak their mother tongue. If it bothers you so much that you have to bitch about it on the internet, why dont you tell them to speak english next time it happens.

soupey
11-14-2006, 07:03 AM
^i wouldnt say that its so much theywere speaking in another tongue, its the fact that they were probably being a group of rowdy brown guys who were being more annoying because theyre there to make a point and be noticed as a loud and active brown group in the uni...which i guess sometimes can be annoying...

i mean anyone who takes transit in downtown knows how annoying it can sometimes be to have the elder chinese couples in the back of the bus going nuts in cantonese, that bugs me MUCH more than any other language ever will...but we're in canada....get used to it...:dunno:

DRKM
11-15-2006, 02:16 AM
Everyone that has taken transit knows how irrataing it is to have some punk ass drunk kids of any nationality going nuts on a bus(or train).

Jed Bouscal
11-15-2006, 02:45 AM

French and English are national languages of Canada. By speaking another other language on a frequent basis in public, right there you're alienating yourself from your country members. I personally think that in itself isn't the smartest thing to do. It leads to unecessary bias and stereotypes. Like I said, "When in Rome..."

French is probably the language I hear least in this city. The percentage of Francophones in Alberta has fallen to 2%. 6% of calgary is Chinese, as one example.

I used to be fluent in French, and still remember a fair bit. I've made an effort to learn Cantonese both on my own and with the help of friends.

I think it's very important for new immigrants to learn one of our national langauges, but if hearing a language you don't understand angers you, learn the language, or look in the mirror for the real problem. Many countries in Europe require that children learn 2-3 languages. It's too bad that's not the case here in Canada.

Also take a moment to imagine what it would be like if you were living in China and trying to learn the language (it's not easy.) If you and 5 canadians were playing pool at school, would you speak English, or in halting Mandarin? Put yourself in their shoes.

Understanding another people's language helps you better understand their culture, which offers a second perspective to contrast with your own, preventing enthnocentrism and promoting not just tollerance, but true understanding. This is one of Canada's greatest principles.

writhen
11-15-2006, 09:24 AM
There's a difference between speaking and shouting. As well as a difference between speaking to communicate and speaking loudly to annoy. Either way, this is straying from the point of this thread. /endofrant.

Jed Bouscal
11-15-2006, 10:50 AM
There's a difference between speaking and shouting. As well as a difference between speaking to communicate and speaking loudly to annoy. Either way, this is straying from the point of this thread. /endofrant.

You're right, there is a big difference.

turbotrip
11-15-2006, 04:09 PM

:rofl: you think these guys are intentionally yelling in the middle of their pool game, just to annoy/mess up the indian/srilankan/british kid next to them?

turab16
11-17-2006, 09:56 PM
^^^ well said! hehehehhe

hampstor
11-18-2006, 07:47 PM
There's a group of these fobs at Ucalgary as well. Every time I try to play pool at the cove...I swear to god. 20 brown guys bickering away like goats around one pool table.5 different dialects going..not one word of english. What the fuck? &quotWhen in Rome, do as the Romans"...or get the fuck out.

It is possible maybe they're not quite all at the same level of competency in english. Could you imagine how long it'd take to try and converse in english with a group of 20 people who might not be able to speak it well?

EK 2.0
11-18-2006, 07:52 PM

you have to be the most thickheaded user I have seen in the past little bit...

Originally posted by hampstor
It is possible maybe they're not quite all at the same level of competency in english. Could you imagine how long it'd take to try and converse in english with a group of 20 people who might not be able to speak it well?

werrrrd...well said Dai Lo...

atomic
11-20-2006, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

you have to be the most thickheaded user I have seen in the past little bit...

i don't think so . this is canada . and we speak english and french . if u don't learn the language then you'll unfortenatly continue being labelled as a minority . not saying it's right, but english speaking caucasions can't understand ching chung witta wong wheeee languages :)

could be worse ... canada could operate like australia . if u come there, leave your problems and culture in your own country .

soupey
11-20-2006, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by atomic

i don't think so . this is canada . and we speak english and french . if u don't learn the language then you'll unfortenatly continue being labelled as a minority . not saying it's right, but english speaking caucasions can't understand ching chung witta wong wheeee languages :)

could be worse ... canada could operate like australia . if u come there, leave your problems and culture in your own country .

canada = mosaic
usa = melting pot

please look up the two terms and then take back what u said.

canada encourages all cultures to come and keep their way of life here, whereas the USA (and apparently australia) support combining into one uniform culture. just because our official languages are french and english doesnt mean we shun everyone else out :banghead:

Crymson
11-20-2006, 09:22 AM
I don't mind hearing other languages, but I hate not being understood in english when dealing with salespersons or other citizens.

That said! I'm appalled at what the US is doing right now, every day you hear of another state or town that has passed legislation making "English the official language". I think this is horribly racist, and akin to the Chinese Exclusion act, which like this recent trend against Latino immigrants, is blatant state sanctioned racism.

collectskulls
11-20-2006, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
I don't mind hearing other languages, but I hate not being understood in english when dealing with salespersons or other citizens.

That said! I'm appalled at what the US is doing right now, every day you hear of another state or town that has passed legislation making "English the official language". I think this is horribly racist, and akin to the Chinese Exclusion act, which like this recent trend against Latino immigrants, is blatant state sanctioned racism.

ummmmm maybe all they are doing is clarifying what the language is that should be spoke...
you know like Canada has english and french
theirs is english not spanish.....

Toms-SC
11-20-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by soupey

canada encourages all cultures to come and keep their way of life here,

http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/kekekegay.gif

Boy did I ever miss this thread

ninjak84
11-20-2006, 04:46 PM
I'm late here, and anytime I ask someone a hard question they never answer it, but I always have to throw my change in the jar :)

By speaking another other language on a frequent basis in public, right there you're alienating yourself from your country members.

Can you please clarify who is alienating who?
Some of us think you have it backwards. Prejudice stemming from someone's personal disposition is what causes alienation towards others.

We need to show tolerance as people who are here first.
The burden is on us to welcome people, not on them to conform.

collectskulls
11-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84

The burden is on us to welcome people, not on them to conform.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Then do not move here if you do not wish to conform to our way of life. If you do not wish to conform to the way of life here then do not move here.

ninjak84
11-20-2006, 05:30 PM
I knew someone would get to my point. I just didn't think it would happen so fast. :)

Can you please clarify who is alienating who?

Originally posted by collectskulls
If you do not wish to conform to the way of life here then do not move here.

You are expressing the idea that foreigners are not welcome. The only circumstance in which you'll tolerate foreigners is under complete assimilation.

How long do they have to 'conform'? What justifies complete 'conformation'?
The majority of people alienate foreigners before they ever come here, and it isn't fair.

That's my point exactly.

I know ideas on foreign policy are individual. That's fair, and I accept that. Some of you however, take your graces to stand for the rights of others, and that isn't fair. You do not get to choose who 'conforms' to your individual preferences. Nobody does.

Wouldn't it be nice if the world worked that way?

Crymson
11-20-2006, 05:46 PM
I'd agree with Ninja.

The reason we have isolated cultures, and cultural groups of non-conforming minority is because of our innability as "naturalized" canadians to accept them fully into our cultures.

By marginalizing and ostracizing immigrants we naturally force them into a position where they only people they can relate to is their own people, and as a corollary you have ethinc gangs.

Mabey the reason they came here in the first place is because we as a nation, try to present ourselves internationally as being accepting, considerate, sensitive and welcoming. However, we don't want to realize the truth that we are a nation of thinly veiled racists who have bamboozled ourselves into believing that idea of Canada, is actually Canada.

Jed Bouscal
11-20-2006, 06:08 PM
Well spoken. Additionally, those of us who were born here have only fortune to thank; none of us earned the right to be born in one of if not THE best country in the world. The least we can do is open our hearts to others - it's the only principled action.

collectskulls
11-20-2006, 06:22 PM
So you think it is ok for someone who has lived in Canada for 5 years and can not speak a word of english or french?

It is ok to change the tradtional RCMP uniform?

It is ok for the Legion to have to change their rules regarding headware?

Jed Bouscal
11-20-2006, 06:49 PM
No I don't think any of those things. I still think people have the right to speak whatever language they want to their friends in public.

nismodrifter
11-20-2006, 06:54 PM
It is ok to change the tradtional RCMP uniform?

It is ok for the Legion to have to change their rules regarding headware?

These are the same people who fought to defend your rights, whether you believe that or not. In the last 2 world wars over 83 000 Sikhs were killed and over 100 000 were wounded fighting for the common wealth.

http://www.sikhsangat.org/uploads/honorary_flt_lieut__pritam_singh_minhas__after_receiving_the_veterans_badge_from_the_royal_british_legion.jpg

You would really have the guts to refuse entry to the fellow on the right just because of his turban? With 38 years of service under his belt do you really think that he should be required to take off his turban (of large religous significane) just to participate in a rememberance day ceremony (where you are supposed to remember the sacrafices that people like him made to let you live the life that you are currently living)? remember that these people have done far more that is worth "remembering" than you have (unless you are some 70 year old ww2 veteran typing shit on the pc)

"The burden is on us to welcome people, not on them to conform."
Sure if you want to create a non cohesive society this is exactly what you should do.
Why don't you get all Canadians to stop eating Beef for the Hindu's, and stop eatign pork for the muslims etc etc?

Integration (though not on a full scale) has to occur for society to function as a whole. If not then we got people speaking english/french/german/yiddish/russian/spanish/punjabi/hindi/urdu/bengali/tamil/Dutch/Mandarin/whatever and no one will be able to communicate efficiently with people outside of their ethnic community.

stealth
11-20-2006, 07:07 PM

if u don't learn the language then you'll unfortenatly continue being labelled as a minority . not saying it's right, but english speaking caucasions can't understand ching chung witta wong wheeee languages :)

I don't think that is true.

A lot of caucasian immigrants speak their native languages, and barely know any english, and yet somehow, caucasian Canadians tolerate it, and don't see them as immigrants... Or have any negative things to say about them.

EK 2.0
11-20-2006, 08:12 PM
if u don't learn the language then you'll unfortenatly continue being labelled as a minority . not saying it's right, but english speaking caucasions can't understand ching chung witta wong wheeee languages :)

Why not make an effort??...I learned Tagalog (mainly to understand what my close friends were talking about) But it has had its advantages in other situations...And as for French, which i had to take from like grade 3-6...all I remember how to say is...

"Je suis une pomme de terre et pamplemousse"...

hampstor
11-20-2006, 09:38 PM

Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't this say:

"I am a potato and grapefruit" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

back on topic, English and French are the official languages of Canada but I'm willing to wager that 80% of the people in this thread who are saying "you need to speak English before you can be Canadian" can not speak fluent French. Based upon that stement if you can't speak FLUENTLY both official languages of your country, how can you expect immigrants to do the same?

collectskulls
11-20-2006, 10:28 PM

back on topic, English and French are the official languages of Canada but I'm willing to wager that 80% of the people in this thread who are saying "you need to speak English before you can be Canadian" can not speak fluent French. Based upon that stement if you can't speak FLUENTLY both official languages of your country, how can you expect immigrants to do the same?

yup your right lets all move to another country and not even try to learn at least one of their language's and push to change some of their customs while we are at it:nut: :nut:

EK 2.0
11-20-2006, 11:14 PM

Dai lo you are correct haha...

And you are right...thats the only french I remember...I don't speak our countries "official" languages...and I have been here 27 years...:dunno:

ninjak84
11-20-2006, 11:44 PM
So you think it is ok for someone who has lived in Canada for 5 years and can not speak a word of english or french?

Yes.

My Grandma has lived here 20 years, and speaks broken English only when she has to. She never had to work, and at her age, learning English or French is the least of anyone's concern.

For people who have to integrate into society to make a living, or by choice, language is a necessity. For alot of immigrants who live in unique situations, maybe learning languages and "being Canadian" isn't important.
You can criticize either option, and you're entitled to form an opinion on it. But nobody gets to make that decision for anyone else.

LOL :rofl:

collectskulls
11-21-2006, 08:16 AM
From Page 1.................

So many letter writers have explained how this land is made up of immigrants. Maybe we should turn to our history books and point out to people why today's Canadian is not willing to accept the new kind of immigrant any longer.

Back in 1900 when there was a rush from all areas of Europe to come to Canada , people had to get off a ship and stand in a long line in Halifax and be documented. Some would even get down on their hands and knees and kiss the ground.

They made a pledge to uphold the laws and support their new country in good and bad times. They made learning English a primary rule in their new Canadian households and some even changed their names to blend in with their new home. They had waved good bye to their birth place to give their children a new life and did everything in their power to help their children assimilate into one culture.

Nothing was handed to them. No free lunches, no welfare, no labour laws to protect them. All they had were the skills, craftsmanship and desire they had brought with them to trade for a future of prosperity.

Most of their children came of age when World War II broke out. Canadians fought along side men whose parents had come straight
over from Germany , Italy , France , Japan , Czechoslovakia , Russia , Sweden , and so many other places. None of these first generation Canadians ever gave any thought about what country their parents had come from.

They were Canadians fighting Hitler, Mussolini and the Emperor of Japan . They were defending the Freedom as one people. When we liberated France , no one in those villages was looking for the Ukrainian-Canadian or the German-Canadian or the Irish-Canadian. The people of France saw only Canadians.

And we carried one flag that represented our country. Not one of those immigrant sons would have thought about picking up another country's flag and waving it to represent who they were. It would have been a disgrace to their parents who had sacrificed so much to be here. These immigrants truly knew what it meant to be a Canadian. They stirred the melting pot into one red and white bowl.

And here we are in 2006 with a new kind of immigrant who wants the same rights and privileges. Only they want to achieve it by playing with a different set of rules, one that includes a Canadian passport and a guarantee of being faithful to their mother country. I'm sorry, that's not what being a Canadian is all about.

Canadians have been very open hearted and open minded regarding immigrants, whether they were fleeing poverty, dictatorship, persecution, or whatever else makes a person adopt a foreign country. And, I suppose when we say adopt, we think of those aforementioned immigrants who truly did ADOPT our country, and our flag and our morals and our customs. And left their wars, hatred, and divisions behind. I believe that the immigrants who landed in Canada in the early 1900s deserve better than that for the toil, hard work and sacrifice in raising future generations to create a land that has become a beacon for those legally searching for a better life. I think they would be appalled that they are being used as an example by those waving foreign country flags, fighting foreign battles on our soil, making Canadians change to suit their religions and cultures, and wanting to change our countries fabric by claiming discrimination when we do not give in to their demands.

khtm
11-21-2006, 09:08 AM
I think if I ever move to Japan, I'll refuse to learn Japanese because I'm too "set in my ways". Why would I bother learning a language of a country that has taken me in when I escaped the harsh realities of my own country? I don't owe them shit. The most important thing in this world is me.

Then I'll start a community called "English Town" and sell English newspapers and make English food and only allow English speaking people to enter.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. :D

v2kai
11-21-2006, 09:49 AM
^^^:werd:

skulls put it best before and again...where's the canadian pride. i'm a quarter brit/welsh/malaysian/chink mom and dad are both from overseas and i am proud of my cultures and where i come from; but i was born canadian. we didnt ask you to come here, you decided to come here. we ARE tolerant of culture, we let you do lots of stuff....but bottom line, this is still canada eh.

it's like you get in my car and i'm nice enough to give you a ride, and u think you can come in and change the radio station and i'm supposed to put up with it. last time i checked, it was my car, i'm the one holding the keys and you needed the ride not me.

i love my country for everything it is, skulls put it best.

shawtie
11-21-2006, 11:39 AM

...all I remember how to say is...

:bullshit:

ninjak84
11-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
"The burden is on us to welcome people, not on them to conform."
Sure if you want to create a non cohesive society this is exactly what you should do.
Why don't you get all Canadians to stop eating Beef for the Hindu's, and stop eatign pork for the muslims etc etc?

We already live in a non-cohesive society!
The Hindu's and the Muslims can eat whatever pork and beef they want. That's the beauty of allowing CHOICE and FREEDOM in a sovereign nation. What's your point?

Originally posted by khtm
Then I'll start a community called "English Town" and sell English newspapers and make English food and only allow English speaking people to enter.

:rolleyes:
You're talking to someone who went for supper to Chinatown with two black people every Saturday during Summer. Last time I checked, we were "allowed to enter". Believe it or not, we even spoke English every-time.
Sorry that you don't feel welcome in Chinatown.
Again, who is alienating who in that situation? :)

nismodrifter
11-21-2006, 02:01 PM

What's your point?

Good point! ahaha I think I read it wrong (I thought it said something along the lines of "canadians must adjust to accomodate immigrants yadayada"
:banghead: I smoked too much crack yesterday

writhen
11-21-2006, 02:16 PM

They're university students. They can speak and understand english. I know some of them. I'm not saying they don't deserve to live in Canada, hell some of them are even nice guys. I'm not going to argue this anymore, all my points have been stated above. You guys can call me what you want, I'm not racist, or thickheaded, or against any culture. I just think that Canada is becoming too multicultural as a country. Nothing against the races and cultures of people who live in it, but Canada's own identity supersedes all others.

EK 2.0
11-21-2006, 02:18 PM
I just think that Canada is becoming too multicultural as a country.

Sorry Massa...Sorry...:rolleyes:

Crymson
11-21-2006, 02:32 PM

They're university students. They can speak and understand english. I know some of them. I'm not saying they don't deserve to live in Canada, hell some of them are even nice guys. I'm not going to argue this anymore, all my points have been stated above. You guys can call me what you want, I'm not racist, or thickheaded, or against any culture. I just think that Canada is becoming too multicultural as a country. Nothing against the races and cultures of people who live in it, but Canada's own identity supersedes all others.

I'm sorry, but EK's right -- you just described yourself as a text book supremacist.

hampstor
11-22-2006, 12:06 AM

Dai lo you are correct haha...

And you are right...thats the only french I remember...I don't speak our countries "official" languages...and I have been here 27 years...:dunno:

what the hell is 'dai lo' !! :rofl:

They're university students. They can speak and understand english.

Seriously, how many professors are at the UofC that can speak english fluently? Saying someone is a UofC student and therefore can speak english neglects the fact that most professors are fobs :rofl:

Nothing against the races and cultures of people who live in it, but Canada's own identity supersedes all others.

I wouldn't say you're racist or anything, but you have talked about 'Canadian identity' and said we're too multicultural without telling us what your definition of Canadian identity is and too multicultural is (maybe quantify this?). You have talked about 'Canadian society' and now 'Canada's own identity' but you have NOT ONCE described what your definition of it is. This makes it a flawed argument because no one has a clue what you are arguing for.

I certainly hope you're not going to say 'Canada's identity is to speak the English language' because then Canada's identity is the same as the UK's based on that response :rofl:

abyss
11-22-2006, 10:12 AM

what the hell is 'dai lo' !! :rofl:

Seriously, how many professors are at the UofC that can speak english fluently? Saying someone is a UofC student and therefore can speak english neglects the fact that most professors are fobs :rofl:

I wouldn't say you're racist or anything, but you have talked about 'Canadian identity' and said we're too multicultural without telling us what your definition of Canadian identity is and too multicultural is (maybe quantify this?). You have talked about 'Canadian society' and now 'Canada's own identity' but you have NOT ONCE described what your definition of it is. This makes it a flawed argument because no one has a clue what you are arguing for.

I certainly hope you're not going to say 'Canada's identity is to speak the English language' because then Canada's identity is the same as the UK's based on that response :rofl:

Dai Lo means "big brother" in Cantonese (as far as I remember, it's been awhile... ;) ) doesn't really make sense for him to call you that lol, besides the language being wrong isn't EK older than you? :rofl:

Hakkola
11-22-2006, 10:35 AM

And we carried one flag that represented our country.

This is the second time I think I've read this in the same thread, quick question, what year did canada get it's own flag and national anthem?

EK 2.0
11-22-2006, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by abyss
Dai Lo means "big brother" in Cantonese (as far as I remember, it's been awhile... ;) ) doesn't really make sense for him to call you that lol, besides the language being wrong isn't EK older than you? :rofl:

I call every Asian guy "Dai Lo" haha...older or younger...;)

But I am thinking I should stop...cause you know Canada is becoming too multi-cultural:dunno:

ninjak84
11-22-2006, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola
This is the second time I think I've read this in the same thread, quick question, what year did canada get it's own flag and national anthem?

Our anthem wasn't declared until 1980, and our flag became official in 1965.

brownskind
11-22-2006, 01:45 PM
i find that culture tends to loose its grasp as generations go by and i thinks its great that there are people who are "fobbish" that they can give us "canadianized" immigrants (or citizens) an intight on how to get intouch with our backgrounds and maybe learn about a different one... i am fascinated by the way china town has its own atmosphere to it and i like goin to a restaurant where the cook wants me to point at wat i want..... instead of a cultreless cook giving me a "canada friendly" version of an ethnic dish.

Im kinda trippin over my point here but i think yall know wat im tryna say....

brownskind
11-22-2006, 01:46 PM
i cant type or spell... lol

V-dub-MK3
11-29-2006, 12:56 AM

So why dont you run for Prime Minister and change that all? or create your own part indian, part srilankan, and part british country thats not "too multicultural"

Cruz
11-29-2006, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by V-dub-MK3

So why dont you run for Prime Minister and change that all? or create your own part indian, part srilankan, and part british country thats not "too multicultural"

Just like that?

writhen
11-29-2006, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by V-dub-MK3

Why should I? Everything else about this country rocks. I've grown up here and it's part of my life. Hell even this issue isn't that big of a deal, it was just brought up as a discussion in this thread.

Anyways, if given the chance we all would run the country slightly differently than the way it is being run right now.

MooseJawian
11-29-2006, 08:51 PM

Why should I? Everything else about this country rocks. I've grown up here and it's part of my life. Hell even this issue isn't that big of a deal, it was just brought up as a discussion in this thread.

Anyways, if given the chance we all would run the country slightly differently than the way it is being run right now.

o..k..since when it has become not appropriate for people with same background to speak the language they feel most comfortable with when they hang out in a public area with a relaxation mood in canada??
it is like u go exchange to france in a yr and when u talk with ur canadian buddy in the cafeteria in english, french ask u guys to STFO.

and since when people who do not speak english as first language become "fobish",candian accent english in particular?

if the country has ran with the "slightly different" way as u expect,
long time ago ur sri lanka third ass has already been kicked by ur british third ass from saying sth like"melli chlismas"...

get over with it kid, why should everybody in this country has to speak english 24/7 just to make YOU comfortable ???

writhen
11-29-2006, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by MooseJawian

o..k..since when it has become not appropriate for people with same background to speak the language they feel most comfortable with when they hang out in a public area with a relaxation mood in canada??
it is like u go exchange to france in a yr and when u talk with ur canadian buddy in the cafeteria in english, french ask u guys to STFO.

and since when people who do not speak english as first language become "fobish",candian accent english in particular?

if the country has ran with the "slightly different" way as u expect,
long time ago ur sri lanka third ass has already been kicked by ur british third ass from saying sth like"melli chlismas"...

get over with it kid, why should everybody in this country has to speak english 24/7 just to make YOU comfortable ???

1. Speak english. I didn't know I had a second ass, let alone a third one.
2. Refrain from pathetic attacks to my nationality(ies).
3. I never said there was anything wrong with speaking a different language. If you read my post correctly, I mentioned they were speaking loudly and it was annoying others including myself. They were attracting unecessary attention to themselves in a negative way, and I wasn't the only one who felt that way. Some people understood what I was saying, others didn't. You obviously can't comprehend it. I'm a firm believer that being Canadian comes before being anything else as long as you decide to call Canada your home. There is nothing else to it.

/conversationwithidiot.

MooseJawian
11-29-2006, 09:54 PM
your argument:

someone speaking another language loudly in the public bothers u

therefore-------

non-english speakers should not "speak loudly" in the publicin canada

so who should speak loudly in public?

anyone but non-english speaker== english speaker(agree?).

1.if you agree

what in the hell's bathroom makes you think as an english-speaker , you have the privillage to speak annoyingly loud in the public??

2.if you do not agree

that means

english speaker should not speak loudly in public either
therefore:
non-english speaker+english speaker should not speak loudly in the public.
therefore
"speaking loudly in public is annoying regardless of the language being spoken."

so why the hell you have to specify certain language???

l8braker
11-29-2006, 09:55 PM
moosejawian ftl

khtm
11-29-2006, 10:10 PM
Yeah MooseJawian please STFU. You make absolutely no sense at all. No wonder you're stuck in such a shitty place like Moose Jaw. :whocares:

l/l/rX
11-29-2006, 10:11 PM
yea i thought muslims dont like pakistani's too much? (no offence to any paki people on here)
just coming from all my brown friends that i have.
and yea wow...MD...OLD SCHOOL, back in the churchill days when i was in gr 10. back when it was the crazy asian vs brown thing.
as like everyone i thought they died out when they graduated/ year after graduating. i still know a few of them and im glad to see that their pics arent up on that hurtin' nexopia page.

forkdork
11-29-2006, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
yea i thought muslims dont like pakistani's too much? (no offence to any paki people on here)
and yea wow...MD...OLD SCHOOL, back in the churchill days when i was in gr 10. back when it was the crazy asian vs brown thing.
as like everyone i thought they died out when they graduated/ year after graduating. i still know a few of them and im glad to see that their pics arent up on that hurtin' nexopia page.

Pakistanis are muslim.

Its India who hates the Pakistani's

writhen
11-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by forkdork

Pakistanis are muslim.

Its India who hates the Pakistani's

:rolleyes: and Pakistanis are blameless right? Hate is everywhere, racism is everywhere, but this is all diverting from the subject of the thread.

MrPid
11-29-2006, 10:48 PM

:werd: :thumbsup:

forkdork
11-29-2006, 10:58 PM

:rolleyes: and Pakistanis are blameless right? Hate is everywhere, racism is everywhere, but this is all diverting from the subject of the thread.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

EK 2.0
11-29-2006, 11:16 PM

bwahahahahahahahahahaha...did you NOT read why he posted that Pakistani's were Muslim??

writhen, not readthen huh??:rolleyes:

writhen
11-29-2006, 11:17 PM
As far as I know, not all Pakistanis are muslim? Not sure of this though, but I do have some Pakistani friends who say they were brought up catholic. I found it weird :dunno:

urbannomad
11-29-2006, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

for starters, don't use the term paki...or pakis....its got negative connotations, we should all know what hurts ones ppl....i don't like that term, i infact hate it. i use to live in england as many did, and its disgusting the amount of racism that goes on there, so please do not use that term anywhere.

and yes, pakistan is not purely muslim, same with india....b4 the empire parted in to pakistan and india, the minority were the muslims, and they were the ones in charge....you just don't expect some muslim guy on the east side of india to head towards pakistan do you? this was in the 40s...everything by foot and carriage.

but getting back to the topic... barbarian, lol...his name-the subject funny. hes the one that makes the most sense here. :thumbsup:

forkdork
11-29-2006, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by urbannomad

and yes, pakistan is not purely muslim, same with india....b4 the empire parted in to pakistan and india, the minority were the muslims, and they were the ones in charge....
:

No they werent

North India was run by Maharaja Ranjit Singh's son or something like that before the Brits finally took over (in 1850 iirc after the 2nd Anglo-Sikh War, which made Punjab the last to fall to the Brits).

The last muslim rulers in India were a bunch of intollerant bastards.

Modern day muslims in India face tons of discrimination - they are among the worst off in India.

AAAAAAAnyways back to the original topic.