PDA

View Full Version : Buying JDM (GTI-R) car not yet reg'd in CAN

bituerbo
11-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Hey,

Found a great deal on a Pulsar GTI-R. It's in the Trader 75,000km (seems low for 15yr old car).

Now the car was imported by this guy selling it (he went through a friend who does this- not a brokerage service) so the car's in Calgary right now, although has never been registered in Canada. He just took delivery and now wants to sell it.

Is it as simple as him selling me the car and using his paperwork that he got when importing to register? What paperwork is required? Guy is heading back to the US wednesday so I'd either have to take this car or pass on it.

I'm not looking to jump on the JDM/RHD bandwagon, it's just a nice peppy awd car that will get me through the non-bike weather.

I also noticed a LOT of guys with GTI-R's sell them before a year of owning them - a reason for this?

Thanks for the help!

mx73someday
11-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
Is it as simple as him selling me the car and using his paperwork that he got when importing to register? What paperwork is required? Guy is heading back to the US wednesday so I'd either have to take this car or pass on it.

All you need to begin registering the vehicle is the Form 1 and a bill of sale in Alberta. If he hasn't completed the out of province inspection, then you will have to do it. Make sure you budget the time and money for the OOP inspection, it could be a headache with a car like a Pulsar where nearly every part has to be ordered from out of country, Nissan can take 3 weeks minimum for most parts.

I think the reason they sell pretty quickly after people get them is because they are kind of dull in stock form. They don't give much feedback or driving excitement until you start to modify them.