PDA

View Full Version : Opinons on which AWD car to buy

FallenAngel
05-06-2003, 09:48 PM
Hey all... I just started a new job and I was thinking of getting a new car. I really want something with AWD (just look out the window to see why) buy I don't want to buy anything brand new.

I'm actually looking for something to tide me over until I actually save up enough capital for better car, so I was going for a $20k limit.

Here's the options that I've come up with:

96-99 Audi A4 Quattro: Looks great, comes with some very nice options, but the performance is somewhat slow. Any huge difference in performance between the 2.7 and the 1.8T? I've heard that the 1.8T is much easier to mod, especially with a chip.

96-98 DSM: Great performer and handler, but the back of the Talons look really nasty to me. If I could find a Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX for under $20k in Alberta, I'd probably pick it up. Any way to make the Talon not so ugly?

98-00 Subaru Impreza: Cool rally looks and amazing handling. Comes up very short in the engine though. After some research, it would take a LOT of money to get this thing into decent performance numbers. Feel free to prove me wrong.

If there's anything that I missed, feel free to add it in. I'm not completely set in stone about any of these three. What I'm really looking for is an AWD car for less than $20k that still looks half-decent.

Thanks!

[ FallenAngel ]

gpomp
05-06-2003, 09:56 PM
I believe the A4 comes with a 2.8 and the S4 comes with the 2.7.

gpomp
05-06-2003, 09:56 PM
BTW, are there really A4's under 20k???

rage2
05-06-2003, 10:02 PM
I think you're the first to describe the Subaru Impreza as having "amazing handling".

My vote is for the Talon, best bang for the buck!

Weapon_R
05-06-2003, 10:11 PM
You are going to be hard pressed to find a decent A4 for 20k, althuogh maybe an older one might be found in that range.

My vote goes for the 1.8t. The 1.8t responds well to mods.

Hash_man
05-06-2003, 10:55 PM
I would say the 2.5RS, they are wicked cars, may not be that fast to start, but are great cars and awesome AWD system.
If not then I would probably say the 1.8t, cuz its AWD, and turbo and ya you can definately get a nice 96 or somethin for 18k or so.

just my 2 cents

4wheeldrift
05-06-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I think you're the first to describe the Subaru Impreza as having "amazing handling".

My vote is for the Talon, best bang for the buck! Amazing no, better than average definetly, and superior to the talon IMO. The talons can be made to handle, but in stock form are even more lacklustre than a stock Impreza (thats quite an accomplishment). Audi makes their cars "safe" which means handling goes right to hell, never mind traction control computers that are guaranteed to keep you from having any fun with the car at all. Personally, I was faced with the same choice when I got the sube, and I still feel I made the right choice over all for what I wanted out of a vehicle. YMMV, IMHO etc

T5_X
05-06-2003, 11:27 PM
If you look REALLY hard, you can find an old school S4 with the 20V 2.2 Turbo for under 20 grand.
And another choice? May I suggest a Stealth AWD TT?

If this is gonna be just a temporary car, why do you want to mod it up? If you want an AWD car to leave stock, go for some mid-late 90s subaru, like a nice Legacy GT

rage2
05-07-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Amazing no, better than average definetly, and superior to the talon IMO.
Agreed. The Talons understeer even more than the Imprezas. Never tried a WRX though... anyone willing to let me try one out? :D

4wheeldrift
05-07-2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Agreed. The Talons understeer even more than the Imprezas. Never tried a WRX though... anyone willing to let me try one out? :D Having driven a WRX in autocross type situations, I find that at low and medium speeds they are fairly well balanced stock, with just a bit of understeer at the limit that can usually be overcome by lifting off a little to get the back end to "snap" out. What makes them quick really isn't their cornering limit, because its limited by geometry and narrow tires. Its the way they get power down coming out of the corners that makes them such contenders. This is generally true for any all wheel drive car.

boosty
05-07-2003, 10:10 AM
If you don't care about speed that much and want reliability and aren't gonna mod crazy (ie. nitrous, turbo), go with the Impreza.

If you care about speed somewhat, but aren't going to mod crazy (ie. bigger turbo), S4 all the way. The S4 would be my choice if I had to chose between the Subaru and DSM. Parts for this car would be big bucks so pray it doesn't break down.

If you care about speed and you're going to mod crazy, like Rage says, the DSMs offer the best bang for buck. Parts for the DSMs are getting harder and harder to find because they're disco'd, so watch for that. Parts are also pretty expensive for the same reason (I know first hand).

It boils down to what you want the car for.

DSM Power
05-07-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by FallenAngel
96-98 DSM: Great performer and handler, but the back of the Talons look really nasty to me. If I could find a Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX for under $20k in Alberta, I'd probably pick it up. Any way to make the Talon not so ugly?

She's not ugly. :( Ah but if you prefer the Eclipse look, it would be cheaper to buy a 97/98 Talon and just convert it to an Eclipse by swapping bumpers.

You really can't go wrong with any of the cars you listed though. :thumbsup:

Doodle
05-07-2003, 06:16 PM
I'd buy the rs, but parts are crazy tough to find for it, unless you pay out the ass. Wrx parts are cheaper, If I could do it again I would have shelled out for a wrx instead of my rs last year. The rs does outhandle the wrx though. IMO

FallenAngel
05-07-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
I believe the A4 comes with a 2.8 and the S4 comes with the 2.7.

thanks for correcting me... you're right about that one...

Originally posted by Weapon_R
You are going to be hard pressed to find a decent A4 for 20k, althuogh maybe an older one might be found in that range.

just for example, i found a couple here (http://www.canadatrader.com/trader/result/result.asp?sid=61JYBOM40305072)... you're absolutely correct when you say it will be hard to find a really good one, but not impossible, i think...

Originally posted by Ranger_X31
If you look REALLY hard, you can find an old school S4 with the 20V 2.2 Turbo for under 20 grand.
And another choice? May I suggest a Stealth AWD TT?

If this is gonna be just a temporary car, why do you want to mod it up? If you want an AWD car to leave stock, go for some mid-late 90s subaru, like a nice Legacy GT

The Stealth/3000GT was another option I was considering, but it would have to be one of the older ones to be under $20k. Also, I've heard that the upkeep is relatively expensive for them as well. Thanks for the suggestion though!

In terms of mods, I'm not a freak about it, but I think that having fun is the most important part of owning a car. My current car probably runs high 14's with four cylinders, and I can't really imagine downgrading to something slower for $20k.

DSM Power
She's not ugly.

Sorry man, that's just my opinion. I love the front and the sides, but the HUGE "Talon" written across the back is kind of annoying. Plus, all the black 2nd gen Talons I've seen have that really weird purple writing on them. BTW, your car looks great.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. Keep them coming! Your votes at the moment are almost equally tied between the A4 (both engines) and the 2.5RS.

[ FallenAngel ]

chrisgushue
05-07-2003, 07:42 PM
go for the a4, nice lookin cars

aZnBlooD
05-07-2003, 08:54 PM
personally, im gonna lean towards the audi a4 1.8t

sml
05-07-2003, 11:07 PM

TONS... Don't look in Canadatrader... look in the Bargainfinder and the Herald. 96 A4 2.8 are less than 20k easy. Audi = low resale value.

three.eighteen.
05-07-2003, 11:25 PM
try to find a celica all-trac? those are 10kish

2000impreza
05-08-2003, 01:59 AM
my first pick would be talon tsi/eclipse gsx. good project car, tons of aftermarket support.

the audi 1.8/2.8 is a good choice too. 1.8t gets nice gains with bolt on's. only thing that scares me is the maintainance cost.

impreza 2.5RS. not amazing fast but makes a good daily driver. decent handling for stock car. gets very costly to get any sort of real performance out of the car.

itsnotaDUB
05-08-2003, 02:22 AM
IMO, i would take the 1.8t but if i was looking for an awd car, i would go for a G60 corrado, thats just me

HOK
05-08-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by FallenAngel

98-00 Subaru Impreza: Cool rally looks and amazing handling. Comes up very short in the engine though. After some research, it would take a LOT of money to get this thing into decent performance numbers. Feel free to prove me wrong.

[ FallenAngel ]

what is a LOT of money... i think mine performs decent for the amount i paid...

edit for grammar

T5_X
05-08-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
try to find a celica all-trac? those are 10kish

Excellent suggestion! Lots of money to spare for a j-spec 3SGTE :devil:
There's usually only a couple for sale in all of western canada at a time though (90+)

IMO, i would take the 1.8t but if i was looking for an awd car, i would go for a G60 corrado, thats just me

:confused: They made an AWD corrado?

In terms of mods, I'm not a freak about it, but I think that having fun is the most important part of owning a car. My current car probably runs high 14's with four cylinders, and I can't really imagine downgrading to something slower for $20k.

None of the cars you listed will run high 14s stock, especially not the 1.8T and the 2.5RS. A DSM of those years with some mods for 20K should easily, otherwise, I stick with my suggestions. The early S4s will run high 14s, Stealths low 14s and a 20 grand alltrac will probably be in the 13s. Just have to look hard and have patience for any one of those cars though.

three.eighteen.
05-08-2003, 12:44 PM
i dont think 2.5rs will run 14s...15-16 maybe depending on driver

4wheeldrift
05-08-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
i dont think 2.5rs will run 14s...15-16 maybe depending on driver A stock RS should run mid-15s at sea level.

GT2NV
05-08-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31
:confused: They made an AWD corrado? .
lol... they sure didnt:rolleyes:

HOK
05-08-2003, 09:13 PM
mmm high 14s... i would get the talon then... lots of stuff aftermarket wise and lots of junker cars to get parts off of.... subarus and audis are very diffcult to repair if you just need a stock part for cheap...