PDA

View Full Version : nokian RSi or WR

aypi
11-12-2006, 02:43 AM
at first i want to buy a set of nokian RSi,then when i went to kal tire to buy and install them for me, for some reason they installed a set of WRs on my car instead of RSi (06 ralliart).

the manager told me that i can try these first and if i didnt like them i can go back to the shop and replace them!

after using them for a week, now i cant decide if i still want the RSi. bec. of calgary's crazy weather i dont know if i'll go get the RSi or just keep the WR.

what do u think guys?

bituerbo
11-12-2006, 02:45 AM
WR's work year round and have RIDICULOUS milage guarantee - double check on that first though.

RSi is the best winter tire you can buy without studs. If this is a winter tire, get the RSi, if you want a year-round tire and are willing to sacrifice summer performance go with the WR. If you're going to be running a different tire in the summer go RSi for sure.

Just to clarify: the WR tire is only a small step above an all-season tire. If you want to do anything more than occasional driving once the roads have been plowed and salted then get the RSi.

aypi
11-12-2006, 03:02 AM
yah,i'm planning to buy a new set of wheels and tires next summer. so i'll just be using the nokians every winter! but the thing is i always drive down in deerfoot to go to work. so i'm not really sure how the RSi's handle in high speed and clear roads! i know they are great in worst conditions.

i want something that works great on snow and clear roads! you know the weather here in calgary,one day it will snow then it gets warm the next day!

bituerbo
11-12-2006, 03:09 AM
I'd recommend the WR to my mom, and that's about it.

I ran my VERY aggressive studded snow tire (Nokian Hakkapeliitta1) through half a summer with no problems Rain/Dry across all temperatures, never hydroplaned, always had enough grip to handle and brake just fine, even under spirited driving conditions.

Like I already said, unless you only plan on driving once the snowplow has been around - go with the RSi.

SCHIDER23
11-12-2006, 03:10 AM
Well I have RSI's right now and they feel fine on clear roads and I drive on deefoot everyday no slipping as of yet and they are about a month

I also have WR's and they feel like winter tires as well great grip, but like bituerbo said if you have summer tires already I would go for RSI's:D

aypi
11-12-2006, 03:14 AM
yah,i think i'll get the RSi's,those are my first choice anyways and a lot of my friends are using them too!! thanks for the help guys!! maybe i'll give the WR another week,then i'll trade them in,the manager gave me one month anyways! :thumbsup:

bituerbo
11-12-2006, 03:25 AM
hehe probably just wants to avoid taking a hit on his own fuckup. Don't be surprised if they try and talk you out of it once you try and switch back. How much is it worth to you to keep the WR's?

Once a set of tires have been driven on for a month they are drastically reduced in value. Go in after 3 weeks, tell them you'd prefer the RSi's you originally asked for unless they're willing to offer you compensation. $200 is probably less than they would lose out on selling those WR's on your car as used.

aypi
11-12-2006, 03:35 AM
well i paid $600ish for the WR (205/50/16) and save 200 bec. i gave them my stock RS-A's which sucks on dry/wet conditions! i think the RSi are $50 more!

i'll give them a call on monday,and tell them i cant do the swap next weekend bec. i'm busy,and tell them i'll do it on the end of the month! hehehe! well like u said,its not my fault that they fucked up!

xrayvsn
11-12-2006, 04:31 PM
The WR is a good tire. Given how variable our weather is, and more dry/wet/slushy roads than crazy snow-covered ones, the WR is going to ride better and last longer than the RSi. The treadwear guarantee on the WR is something like 100,000km - which will be many winters or about 4 years of year-round driving.

I have personally driven WRs through non-plowed roads in a FWD open diff car. I never got stuck, skidded out of control or had any sort of trouble. I actually find them a better winter tire than the original Blizzaks (from the mid 90's). I noticed my ABS rarely activated to tell me that I was losing traction.

I think that unless you already have a dedicated summer tire/rims then the WR's won't do you wrong. The RSi can't compete when you put it to a cost per mile comparison.

Mibz
11-12-2006, 05:08 PM
That's hilarious, I went to Northhill Kal-Tire to get Rsi's put on and they put WRs on instead! I go in tomorrow to get them changed. The WRs are a great all-season but I wanted a winter tire.

xrayvsn
11-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Yeah, after my long winded response I did not mention what I would do if it were me. I would want the RSi, but that is because I already have a summer setup. I don't need the all-season drivability of the WR, but some people might.

2000Accord
11-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by aypi
at first i want to buy a set of nokian RSi,then when i went to kal tire to buy and install them for me, for some reason they installed a set of WRs on my car instead of RSi (06 ralliart).

the manager told me that i can try these first and if i didnt like them i can go back to the shop and replace them!

after using them for a week, now i cant decide if i still want the RSi. bec. of calgary's crazy weather i dont know if i'll go get the RSi or just keep the WR.

what do u think guys?

Funny you mention this. We went to the NorthHill Kaltire to have a set of WR's put on our Subaru, and they put on the RSI's. Seems to be a recurring error for them since I am the 3rd person on this string it has happened to.

msommers
11-13-2006, 12:24 AM
I had WR's on my most recent car and were excellent. The RSi are awesome in the winter, awesome. The problem I noticed is that the thread life on them was really bad.

aypi
11-13-2006, 02:17 AM
wtf hey., whats going on with kal tire doing all this mistakes??? are they doing it on purpose or what?

Vagabond142
11-17-2006, 10:02 PM
I believe that I can uniquely help with this question, as I work at a KalTire :eek:

The difference between the RSi's and the WR's are that the RSi's are designed as a dedicated winter tire, whereas the WR is designed to be a year round all season. They have a different siping system and tread pattern, as well as a much softer and (believe me on this, my hands have the ripped skin to prove it) rougher rubber. The WR's are a harder compound, and, as stated, have the insane mileage guarantee.

Downsides to the WR's, however, are that they get ROCK hard in cold weather. If you have good suspension or don't mind the occasional jolt, then they are a good tyre. However, on loose snow and ice-packed snow with no gravel, the RSi's walk all over the WR's. Another thing is that the WR's do have a good tread pattern, but it is designed for mostly adverse and/or wet weather. Take a Nokian I3 (their designated summer tyre) and the WR, and the I3 has a MUCH larger percentage of rubber contact and better summer tread.

Basically, if you can, I would do a 6 mth/6mth split winter/summer tires. If you want to save a little money but give up a little bit of tyre contact with the road, the WR's are excellent value for money

I personally have a set of RSi's on my car, and couldn't be happier with them. Basically, what I recommend is that if you want a very good winter tyre with dry road capabilities and that will last you a 2-3 winters (depending on driving style) then the RSi's can't be beat on loose or hardpack snow. If you want a true all year tyre, the WR is a very good tyre. It's not the BEST, but it's way up there.
ur choice of summer tyre on alloys for summer.

Note: Tread life on RSi's is very dependant on driving style and proper rotation periods. If you accelerate hard, corner hard and fast, and are harsh on the brakes, your RSi's may last a season. If you be a little more baby-touch with your car, you can make em last at least two seasons. Accelerate gently, corner at sane speeds, brake early and gently. Not only will your tyres last longer, your fuel economy will probably go up a couple MPG.

As a tyre tech, I see most RSi purchases come in about 3 months after purchase for a rotate/rebalance. Proper balancing also ensures optimal tread life, as does inflation. Check your pressures at least once a week, and inflate if they are a little low. Also, do the checks and inflation at dead stop cold, ie before you drive anywhere. All tyre inflation recommendations on sidewalls and on door jambs and in glove compartments are rated at DSC (dead stop cold)

Vagabond142
11-17-2006, 10:15 PM
The higher profile RSi's, btw, have a speed rating of Q (160 kph) and the lowpro's are R rated (lowpro = 55, 45, 35 profile ratios, 170 kph). I will definitely ask my supervisor about this on monday to confirm and post appropriately in this thread

xrayvsn
11-17-2006, 10:29 PM
Sorry, R is what again? I know to look for at least H or V for my car. How does R compare?

Vagabond142
11-17-2006, 10:48 PM
I misread my nokian info package o.O RSi's are highpro Q rated and lowpro R rated.

Q rating = 160 kph
R rating = 170 kph

WR's, depending on profile, size and width, are T, H, V and W rated

T = 190 kph
H = 210 kph
V limited = 240 kph
V unlimited = 210+ kph
W = 270 kph

Moe Man
11-20-2006, 02:22 AM
why by the RSI when 90% of your winter driving is on pavement?

really there is no need unless you live in the north pole. i would take the WR instead.

BTW: i used to work at kal tire and i went to the first meeting that nokian held.

getting the RSI's is like having 4 wheel drive, i seen a 2wd talon drive up the prairy winds hill with the RSI's. ever since then i have had respect for those tires, but it is over kill.

Altezza
11-20-2006, 02:31 AM
I have the Nokian Hakka Qs, the predecessor to the RSi. This is my 5th winter season on them. I think I can squeeze another 1-2 seasons out of them since there is plenty of tread left.

slick2404
12-02-2006, 02:13 PM
I was thinking of picking up the WR's for my lancer...since the OEM ones are crap and wore out at 35k

Right now I have 195/60/15....but i read on the lancer forums that 205/55/15 is the best set up.

I read up on the lancer forums that 205/55/15 is the best set up for tires....stock is 195/60/15.

Will it make any difference/is it even worth it to go 205/60/15, since they dont have the 55 profile in my size?