PDA

View Full Version : Keep my car or buy a skyline?

Teggy2nr
11-12-2006, 02:50 AM
What would you do
1. keep the JDM Integra and turbo the J-spec B18C1 with a Fullrace pro-street stage 1 turbo?
2. Buy one mint ass Skyline GTR?
Heres my integra btw
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k205/C_B_M/DSCN3601.jpg

QUINN
11-12-2006, 02:52 AM
keep the teg! hows the ef treating you?

Teggy2nr
11-12-2006, 02:58 AM
Its good, a few idling problems but im not embarassed to be seen in it

bituerbo
11-12-2006, 03:00 AM
Both are sort of poor decisions.

Buy a JDM skyline that's likely been shat on by some japanese businessman's punk kid for the last 15 years, or take a JDM engine, milage likely unknown (whatever the shop that sold it to you said was an educated guess at BEST) and make it even more unreliable.

With the teg torque steer and tire smoke will get old real fast. Want something 'FUN' to drive get a rwd sports car. AWD is simply too sticky to incite any hair-raising experiences. Now I'm not telling you to go buy an AE86 and join the drift craze, but a front-engine/rear-wheel-drive 'sports' car will definitely put a smile on your face each time you decide the conditions are just right to pull her out of the garage for the evening.

My $0.02

bituerbo
11-12-2006, 03:03 AM
Just a note about my above comments: I'm not anti-import/anti-honda or anti-turbo. I like what you've done to your integra so far, it looks like you've kept her clean and in very good shape.

I've owned enough cars, and been through enough 'stages' to see that where I've ended up is where most logical people end up. If you'd like more info defending my above notes/conclusions let me know, I just don't want to get into any long-winded debates over subjective opinions.

QUINN
11-12-2006, 03:03 AM
haha that car was pretty minty figure out why the idle jumps?

Aleks
11-12-2006, 03:05 AM
Keep the integra trust me. I still miss mine.

Teggy2nr
11-12-2006, 03:12 AM
^^needs a new throttle body. And as for bituerbo i want something that is fast out of the box, Ive spent so much money on the teg and I can get a decent return on it and there are not many rwd cars that can touch a gtr out of the box because i really dont want to start from scratch and a domestic is out of the question. its either turbo integra or skyline and the only thing stopping me is the sentimental value of my teg cuz its my first car and ive put a lot into it over the past 3 years

bituerbo
11-12-2006, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Teggy2nr
^^needs a new throttle body. And as for bituerbo i want something that is fast out of the box, Ive spent so much money on the teg and I can get a decent return on it and there are not many rwd cars that can touch a gtr out of the box because i really dont want to start from scratch and a domestic is out of the question. its either turbo integra or skyline and the only thing stopping me is the sentimental value of my teg cuz its my first car and ive put a lot into it over the past 3 years

Hm, I was sentimental to my first car. Bought it for $5k, put $5k in mods into it, raced it (solo II), rallied it (won 3rd place regional event!!!) then sold it for $2500 one year after purchasing it. Car's aren't an investment.

You're rolling the dice with those JDM cars. Imagine you see a car you want in the auto trader - you call the guy he gives you all the info you want, but refuses to let you test drive it or even come see it. I don't know about you but I won't buy a car I can't see or drive. RHD would also piss me off - our roads are meant for LHD vehicles.

If you're not open to anything other than the turbo-teg or the skyline - go with the skyline. Putting any more money into that teg is money you will very likely not get back, or if you do get it back, it will likely be 1/5th of what you put into it or less.

Get a stock - stock -STOCK GT-R from japan and it will likely keep it's value and be somewhat reliable if you don't get greedy, or Greddy for that matter ;)

-QA-
11-12-2006, 03:39 AM
man thats a tough question. To many of us tuning a car is like showing the rest of the world what you are all about, because it is your vision you are showing to everyone. When i look at your teg i see heart and soul(sounds cheezy), but that car has character its basically apart of you annnnd its your 1st car.

I think if you are going to import, dont turbo your teg and go with a skyline gt-s but end up maybe keeping both? you seem to have 2 hondas why not make it one honda one nissan? Keep the teg for year round/daily driver and have the nissan as the weekend beast. IMO

:thumbsup: nice car btw

smontyLS1
11-12-2006, 03:43 AM
The only thing to do with a jdm car is to tear it down and rebuild it frame up in my opinion. its 15 years old, all you will be doing is chasing problems unless you fix it all right from the start. regardless of how "mint" this gtr is there is a reason its being sold in canada. I would personally get a cheap gtr and rebuild it if you must get one.

Teggy2nr
11-12-2006, 03:52 AM
well i need the money from the teg to buy the skyline. this is the hardest decision of my life:banghead:

smontyLS1
11-12-2006, 03:57 AM
jdm cars are money pits man
how much do you plan on getting for your teg
and putting into the skyline?

yella-dRAgon
11-12-2006, 04:28 AM
keep the teg! i love it i just recently got a teg gsr and i want to do the jdm and turbo as well JUST KEEP IT!!

slammed_cb7
11-12-2006, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by smontyLS1
jdm cars are money pits man

:werd: I've seen almost all of them have $1000 plus put into returning them to good working order, usually front end type of stuff. JDM cars ---> MR2 FTW!!!!

JAYMEZ
11-12-2006, 06:33 AM
Keep the integ! At least you know whats been done to it.. All the skylines i see everyday especially R33s and R34s are beatttin to shit... I would hate to buy someone elses problem :drama:

Vietsta
11-12-2006, 10:49 AM
keep the teg man, you'll regert buying the skyline. like me. its a money pit and now its just parked in my back yard

mard
11-12-2006, 10:56 AM
im with everyone here...
keep the teg..

i misss mine wish i never sold it for a bike...
but then again i sold it to my sister :D so i still drive it more than her lol :thumbsup:

carter_prelude
11-12-2006, 11:37 AM
I say if your looking for speed. get the GTR. Your Teg will never be as fast as the GTR is out of the box. (asuming your not going to go balls out on the teg). On the other hand, the Teg is very nice and done up very tasteful. Make an ad for it with the price set a little higher than what you want to get rid of it for and wait.

GenerationX
11-12-2006, 11:40 AM
+1 For keeping the Teg :thumbsup:

euro_racer
11-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
Keep the integra trust me. I still miss mine.

:werd: i also say keep the teg, sometimes i miss mine too but mine was not nearly as nice as yours :thumbsup:

if you are going jdm go mr2 :D

Lo)2enz0
11-12-2006, 02:34 PM
do not get rid of the teg. once you go for the skyline and if there are any problems all it is in money money money

you have a very nice reliable car and i would stick with it

teggypimp95
11-12-2006, 02:52 PM
Keep it dude, iv seen it from the begining, would hate to see your first car go after all the work you have done.

zieg
11-12-2006, 02:55 PM
I say ditch the ass-dragger and get the GTR.

Teggy2nr
11-12-2006, 04:52 PM
Most ppl are saying keep the teg, and I do plan on going balls out on it, thats why i bought the ef for a reliable daily driver and the teg or skyline for a weekend warrior. I guess its also a case of its better deal with the devil you know than the devil you dont and I know whats going on with the Integra and Ive taken very good care of it and I know my way around a Honda very well, but on the other hand this skyline is gorgeous and the few things that have been done to it are top notch, and it aint some auction car either its been hand picked and specifically shipped over. So for me it really boils down to two things. The sentimental value of my Integra and, what will people appreciate more an Integra that will be able to keep up and even beat lets say 500hp Skyline or just a 500hp Skyline wich would be my goal

arian_ma
11-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Keep your car man, it looks nice!
I say don't even turbo it and save your money.
:bigpimp:

silver_gs-R
11-12-2006, 05:20 PM
keep the teg man. dont bother turbo save your money or do the internals.

nice teg by the way :thumbsup:

max_boost
11-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Nice Integra. Keep it.

:werd:

canadianskyline
11-12-2006, 05:35 PM
Half of you guys are retarded.

Just because some people bring in shitty JDM skylines and shit doesnt mean they are all shitty cars. Buying random auction cars is a risk, and you dont have to buy cars off auctions and you can get them properly inspected if you want. Most people are too damn cheap to buy nice cars, and it shows. Then guys (probably the same guys in this thread bashing jdm's) go around bashing import concern and shit cause "they bring in shitty cars". Well all they do is provide a service, and you pick your own car.

If you want a mint skyline, then you cant cheap out and buy a 10K one. A NICE GTR is gonna cost you upwards of 15K (if your the one buying it in japan and taking the risk), and then once it's here it might need tires, tie rods, bushings, brake pads, etc. Just budget like 1500 bucks or so for random things that need fixed.

That being said, so what if someone buys a car that's not in as good of shape for a lot cheaper and then spending some money on stuff like tie rods, ball joints, bushings, etc.

These 2 cars your comparing are not even in the same category. In my opinion, if you cant decide if you want a GTR or an Integra, you might as well just keep the integra because if you dont know for sure, then what do you care if the GTR is a way nicer, faster and more balanced car to drive......versus the integra being good on gas, cheap to fix, more reliable, but slower.....

andres_mt
11-12-2006, 05:57 PM
^ Totally agree with you man. IMO opinion a GTR is only worth it if it's in great condition. I would personally try to find a GTS-4 or a GTS-t and mod it if your looking for a skyline with some kick.

But your car looks really nice man, i'd just keep it.

Also, is Supercharging an option?

Teggy2nr
11-12-2006, 05:59 PM
^^trust me the Integra aint gonna be slow and this skyline isnt a shitty auction car thats whats making this so hard

sh0ko
11-12-2006, 06:02 PM
hey bud i see ur car in westhills all the time.. KEEP it

tapout
11-12-2006, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by GenerationX
+1 For keeping the Teg :thumbsup: x2

msommers
11-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Why do you need someone to give you advice on which car to buy, these threads are so monotonius. It's your car, you choose.

However, if I were in your shoes, it would depend on a lot of things like budget and overall performance goals. Personally, the GTR is a wonderful car to drive and has the fun-factor and power to boot, this car will not disappoint. However, finding a well maintained GTR is hard as hell and obviously has been driven hard. That is a racing engine in there and is going to be driven as such. FYI, about 8/10 times, when the car reaches ~100,000 the engine basically needs to be rebuilt. The GTR is an expensive car to maintain and to have. Check out gtrcanada.com and do the research yourself. Good luck.

iceburns288
11-12-2006, 06:18 PM
Buy a Mustang.

Someone had to say it.

Teggy2nr
11-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by sh0ko
hey bud i see ur car in westhills all the time.. KEEP it no thats the other red jdm teg im never over there but mines pretty much the same. well judging from all the comments and some good advice from actual skyline owners i looks like ill prolly stick with the teg

sh0ko
11-12-2006, 06:39 PM
o ok.. my bad.. keep it though bud.. how many plp honestly have that nice a integra here in calgary....well thats red haha

Teggy2nr
11-12-2006, 06:40 PM
plus a crazy turbo integra and a built na b16 ef would be cool too. i love hondas

rileyh
11-12-2006, 07:05 PM
Bud, its ur decision, but either way i love ur integra, and i love skylines. Back wen i wanted to get a honda civic, and put in the B18c, i wanted to put a full race turbo kit on it to. it would have been awesome, but i also think a skyline would be insane, as well. Either way, no matter wat u do, go boost somehow! y dont u ask god about it, adn wait for his answer!

GReddy.Skyline
11-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Most deffinatly get the skyline!

Darkane
11-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by GReddy.Skyline
Most deffinatly keep the skyline!

:rofl:

i'd say keep the Teg, and YES do the NA EF as well. Or scratch both and do a K20 in the integra. NA or Boost you cant loose.

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-12-2006, 09:50 PM
Keep the teg... I would trade my car any day of the week for a teg like yours, and turbo, it will be insane! Sure skylines are great. I would drive one for sure. But they're becoming more and more common. Plus you've poured yourself into this teg, I mean, if you sold it to some 17-19 year old kid with mommy n daddy's money, and found out he crashed YOUR teg, how would you feel?

4doorj
11-12-2006, 10:17 PM
your integra is sweeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!
i say turbo it!
but definitly a hard choice

but on the other hand the skyline stock would be crazy fun!

CivicTunr
11-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

:rofl:

i'd say keep the Teg, and YES do the NA EF as well. Or scratch both and do a K20 in the integra. NA or Boost you cant loose.

k-serious FTW! haha.
keep the teg, i saw it one day at jdmsource, its a sick teg.

or........
if your really want a nissan.
put the GTR engine into the integra, haha

msommers
11-13-2006, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Darkane
NA or Boost you cant loose. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: So basically every engine you can't go wrong!

Teggy2nr
11-13-2006, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
, I mean, if you sold it to some 17-19 year old kid with mommy n daddy's money, thats another good point i couldn't sell it to some punk kid because thats who would most definitely be buying it.

nadroj23
11-14-2006, 01:00 PM
keep the teg.....................................................................................................................PLEASE KEEP THE TEG RHD cars are not worth it, by pay up the ass for something thats 15 years or older? to me i dont see it being worth it unless like somebody else said by a shitty one and fix it up yourself so you know what has been done to it you know the problems. keep the teg ya skylines are rare but do you really want to pay the same price for something at least 10 years older then your car?

Teggy
11-14-2006, 02:34 PM
lol scrapped my Teg For a skyline almost a 1 1/2 ago, never looked back, or regreted it.

Teggy
11-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by nadroj23
keep the teg.....................................................................................................................PLEASE KEEP THE TEG RHD cars are not worth it, by pay up the ass for something thats 15 years or older? to me i dont see it being worth it unless like somebody else said by a shitty one and fix it up yourself so you know what has been done to it you know the problems. keep the teg ya skylines are rare but do you really want to pay the same price for something at least 10 years older then your car?

The age of the car is not important, sadly no matter how hard someone with an integra tries they can never get the same performance as a skyline GT-R. I'm not knockin the Teg, hell i loved my integra. For example, won't mention names or where but i've seen a silver skyline GT-S -T beat a Red Turbo'd del dol with tons of upgrades. The Skyline was stock, right off the boat. P.S. if the buddy with the del sol reads this can you email me your msn would like to see that video.

snowboard
11-14-2006, 02:44 PM
how much you want for the teg?

nadroj23
11-14-2006, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Teggy

The age of the car is not important, sadly no matter how hard someone with an integra tries they can never get the same performance as a skyline GT-R. I'm not knockin the Teg, hell i loved my integra. For example, won't mention names or where but i've seen a silver skyline GT-S -T beat a Red Turbo'd del dol with tons of upgrades. The Skyline was stock, right off the boat. P.S. if the buddy with the del sol reads this can you email me your msn would like to see that video.

i think it is important when you have a certain budget and dont wanna be paying up the ass for repairs, lady i work with her son was buying a skyline gt-r the price of the car wasnt bad but they took it for an inspection and there was more then $10000 dmg ya thats right 10k dmg everything from the suspension to one of the turbos...... i really dont think no matter how mint a older car is it will have problems and skylines being as old as there are, are goin to be more prone as any older car. So i will say this if you can afford and wanna spend the time on fixing it if you do have problems then by all means. i wanted to buy a skyline when i was lookin for a new car the one i settled with was an 2002 rsx. and i probably paid about $2000-$6000 more for my car then any skyline gt-r is goin for. it all depends tho, i didnt wanna buy something that would just give me problems 6 months down the road. i wanted something that i would do the regular maintance (oil change, fuilds, etc) and thats it not having to worry about the suspension and the turbos if they fuck up. ya its a fast car but with that comes a price......

msommers
11-14-2006, 05:46 PM
they took it for an inspection and there was more then $10000 dmg ya thats right 10k dmg everything from the suspension to one of the turbos

Just goes to show you that when you want a $12,000 GTR, it's gonna cost you a lot to fix. Not everyone babies there cars, not everyone runs them into the ground either, it's the same as purchasing an older car here. FYI, high performance vehicles cost a lot to purchase and maintain, I don't understand what is so hard about understanding this concept. A car essentially made for the track and put into production is not the kind of car that is going to be used for getting groceries. It's like asking a ferrari owner if they have pushed their cars. 8/10 will agree, the other 2 are probably lying.

There is a lot of crap that goes on with importing cars, lots of importers are shady and are coming out of the walls because they think they can run a business. Unless you know the auction process and the crap that goes on there, you will be paying a lot for total garbage or maybe luck out. There are only 2 import companies I would trust to give me a solid car. I've done a handful of research and talked to countless people who have imported. If you can get the car taken to a dealership and get a pre-purchase inspection(just like here) it is more likely possible problems can be diagnosed instead of trusting some yuppy.

rc2002
11-14-2006, 05:58 PM
This particular GTR in question is a private sale. Not an auction car. It was bought privately in Japan and then shipped over.

It's a tough choice. The only thing that would hold me back is the availability of body parts. Engine parts and maintenance parts are easy but how on earth are you going to find a windshield or a hood or fenders here in North America without paying a stupid premium?

calgarys13
11-14-2006, 08:12 PM
so many places have OEM parts
www.theskylineshop.com

im on my 4th skyline and i love them and would take my old $3000 n/a gts skyline over any integra/rsx/civic out there ...p.s. mines for sale!

frostyda9
11-14-2006, 08:52 PM
RWD > FWD :)

carter_prelude
11-14-2006, 09:54 PM
nadroj23 (and your not the only one so no offence) but....you can't judge Skylines and JDM cars in general on ONE or even a few incidents. The kid probably didn't do his homework on importing and went with a shaddy importer. The majority of JDM cars i've seen were damn near mint. Lots of people knock the JDM cars because "drifting" came from over there. :rolleyes: so what? Drag racing started here...does that make every V8 muscle car a beat up 15+ year old car? No of course not. All cars are going to require to have work done to them redguardless of the year or where they came from. :thumbsdow

EDIT: Skylines are high maintenance cars no shit. This is not his daily driver, a turbo'd integra will be no better. In the end it won't be that bad really, things will go and he will replace them. Just the same with the integra.

JAYMEZ
11-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by carter_prelude

EDIT: Skylines are high maintenance cars no shit. This is not his daily driver, a turbo'd integra will be no better. In the end it won't be that bad really, things will go and he will replace them. Just the same with the integra.

That may be true.. But how much is the engine going to cost to replace the skyline.... or the honda?

I really hope you have alot of money to blow if you have a skyline and big dreams for it.

Teggy
11-15-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi

That may be true.. But how much is the engine going to cost to replace the skyline.... or the honda?

I really hope you have alot of money to blow if you have a skyline and big dreams for it.

lol, bro check out the prices on those engines, jdm spec honda engine are going for more money then rb's. Example, my Rb25 was only 2,500, a jdm b18c1 or c5 are like 3000 bucks

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-15-2006, 10:38 AM
But honda's are much more easier to swap, and it's not JUST the power issue, it's also the sentimental value and the possibility of his car getting trashed by some idiotic kid.

T78Supra1
11-15-2006, 12:18 PM
You really have to check on your Budget and What Numbers you want to porduce at the wheels.

The Skyline is going to cost more initially to do up,.....However with the right mods you are easily in the 400rwhp range.

The Integra's even with the turbo... You may reach 400 hp but the engine will be a time bomb waithing to blow, you would have to rebuild allot of the internals.

So in the end the Integra may cost allot more.

carter_prelude
11-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
But honda's are much more easier to swap, and it's not JUST the power issue, it's also the sentimental value and the possibility of his car getting trashed by some idiotic kid.

Hondas are easyer to swap? pretty damn sure building his motor up with a turbo system will be harder to do than taking the STOCk skyline motor out and REPLACING it with one JUST like it. That would be a straight forward engine swap lol....its exactly the same as the one taken out, no wiring issues or anything. Tougher motor too. Skyline GTR FTW! (also its AWD, it'd HAUL ass!)

gnd
11-15-2006, 10:29 PM
I'm not known in the forums.. so I don't expect anyone here to care much as to what my opinion is... but have you ever noticed, no matter what the question is.... all the so called 'experts' come out of nowhere?

I've never owned a Skyline, but I always wanted to. I ended up buying a 350Z and doing some light mods, dropping it down, adding Volks etc.. nothing crazy. It does what I want, I'm happy. I am already in line for one of the new ones (Skylines) when they arrive. :D

Having said that... this thread has had many Skyline owners speak up. One was even an ex Teg owner...

Maybe the best advice is to ask people who have owned Skylines, if they regret it or what not? I saw one guy saying his sits in his backyard... that's unfortunate, sorry to hear that man.

If the car you're considering is sweet, you and I both know you're always going to wonder 'what if'. If you're even considering it... that tells me that even though you love your Teg, you're not in love with it. LOL. Like a gf... you know how it is... when you're in love with a girl... you notice other girls but you don't ponder what it'd be like to be with another. Once that starts... you know it's more or less on the rocks with your current girl.

Maybe let go of the Teg, take a risk... if it's as sweet as you say, you can always resell it if it doesn't equal what you'd like it to.... maybe start over with another Teg after that? Isn't most of the fun finding the diamond in the rough and polishing it in the first place? ;)

carter_prelude
11-15-2006, 10:40 PM
^ best adivce yet I'd say lol

88CRX
11-15-2006, 10:41 PM
Have you ever noticed that 95% of Skylne owners are trying to flip their mad tyte JDM Skylines just weeks or months after buying them?

Keep the teg.

Tai-Lun
11-15-2006, 10:55 PM
buy a S14:rofl:

but seriously I say keep the teg as well, Skylines are pooping up everywhere, really clean teg like yours is not as common, especially after living here on the coast, worth keepin I if was you... could aways go K20/6speed Turbo!!

frostyda9
11-15-2006, 10:59 PM
he he....he said pooping

Team_Mclaren
11-15-2006, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Teggy

lol, bro check out the prices on those engines, jdm spec honda engine are going for more money then rb's. Example, my Rb25 was only 2,500, a jdm b18c1 or c5 are like 3000 bucks

theres a huge different between the RB25 an the RB26 buddy.... A gsr is half of what a rb26 cost

msommers
11-15-2006, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
A gsr is half of what a rb26 cost

Arn't for engines, ECU and tranny the RB26's going for like 5 grand? So I could geta GSR for 2500 or do you mean the whole GTR and not just the engine???/

calgarys13
11-15-2006, 11:50 PM
rb26s are high strung...rb25 gts-t's FTW

Team_Mclaren
11-16-2006, 01:21 AM
im talking about the engine, as in b18c1

Teggy2nr
11-16-2006, 01:38 AM
After all the good advice you guys gave me it made my decision a lot easier Im gonna stick with my teg. If I was having such a hard time deciding it shows that it wasnt meant to be. Besides I would rather have an R33 anyways because the looks of the R32 was an issue too. So Im gonna stick with my teg for at least a couple more years till the R33s become available and Im gonna see just how far I can take my teg till then, starting this winter. Its just sitting in my garage transforming and once spring comes and it hits the streets again everyone will agree why I stuck with it:devil:

Loud-N-Clear
11-16-2006, 01:44 AM
Good call keepin the teg, thats the cleanest one I've seen in a while. Can't wait till I can afford the JDM conversion.

eur0
11-16-2006, 12:17 PM
It's a little late for my .02, but I would say you have made the right choice. I have seen 8 Honda's come and go through this house and every one of them never had any major problems, provided they were maintained. Honda makes a quality car and you own two of them.

Switching to another used vehicle is a lot of work, regardless of what it is and you always end up having to dump a whole lot more money into it to get it where your previous car was. I think your sig says it all.

Annoyingrob
11-17-2006, 11:59 AM
keep the teg.....................................................................................................................PLEASE KEEP THE TEG RHD cars are not worth it, by pay up the ass for something thats 15 years or older?

I know that the poster has made his decision, and everything, but I still want to comment on this quote. When I got my Supra, I decided to go the JDM route, as I happened to know a friend of a friend who ran a business importing vehicles from Japan. I think who you get your vehicle from has a lot to do with the condition it's in. There are some companies around here (not mentioning any names) that tend to bring in damaged, trashed cars to increase profit margins.

I had given an importer a price, and what I was looking for in a vehicle. It took a month of searching on his part, and another few months of waiting, but I ended up with a car that I am VERY proud of. Even though my car is 15 years old, it had less then 100k km on it, it has no rust whatsoever, has a perfect body with no scratches or dents, and mechanically was in almost perfect condition.

What had to be done to my car: It had a bad fuel pump from sitting around for so long, and needed a new clutch. Both of which are trivial things to change. Pump comes out in the trunk, and tranny comes out in about an hour. I've put over 10,000km on this car, and haven't had any problems with it. I drive it in warm, and in cold, and it's a very reliable car. Not once has it left me stranded on the side of the road (Once I had an intake hose blow off, but I carry wrenches around to fix stuff like that).

Just because a car is 15 years old, doesn't mean that it's a bad car. There are some import companies selling a lot of lemons these days, but from the right person, you can get a very nice car, for a decent price (mine was still under 10,000 after all associated costs). All of my friends purchased cars about the same time I did. Every single one of them (with the exception of one who bought a beater) paid more for their car then I did for mine. All of their cars had more kms then mine, and they all had more problems with their car then I did (with the exception of my friend who bought a 02 Corolla).

Maybe I'm just an oddity, but I've had nothing but positive experiences with JDM cars. So much infact, that my friend with the corolla went, and got a Celica GT4 from the same guy, which ended up saving him several thousand dollars over the corolla.

msommers
11-17-2006, 12:17 PM
And did your friends have this "friend of a friend" in Japan. Not to jump to conclusions but it seems the guys that know someone get the nice cars for decent prices and the average joe gets an OK if not shitty car for more. Tons of shady importers out there, tons! It's a real shame.

Teggy2nr
11-17-2006, 01:22 PM
^^No guys dont get me wrong this car was absolutly mint I was getting it from one of this sites sponsors and I trusted that it was in good working order Ive ridden in it Ive gone to look at it almost every day for the past week thats why I had this big urge to jump on it.