PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista RTM

Xaroxantu Zero
11-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Mr. Burns
11-12-2006, 12:51 PM
DLing right now from OINK... going to install on my spare machine first. Ill post back here once everything is up and running... should be later this afternoon.

modded46
11-12-2006, 01:01 PM
fire it up!! she's purty! Try it with Office 07, it'll change the way you use E-mail.

Zero102
11-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Any different from RC2?

soupey
11-12-2006, 02:06 PM
what kind of minimum specs would u guys say vista requires? is it worth the upgrade from xp?

Mr. Burns
11-12-2006, 02:44 PM
It runs really fast on my laptop... Im liking it so far.

heinz256
11-12-2006, 02:52 PM
rtm?

Proboscis
11-12-2006, 02:55 PM
release to manufacturer

heinz256
11-12-2006, 03:24 PM
ahhh, thx!

hampstor
11-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Basically it is the date when system builders can download it and do builds for it for their systems. It allows system builders to make sure their systems are ready to roll on the launch date - however they can not sell any systems with the builds on there until then.

Zero102
11-12-2006, 11:51 PM
This is the first time I have heard anybody say 'runs great on a laptop'. Let's just say about 5000 people are really disappointed with how it runs.

I run RC2 on 3 computers, 2 desktops and 1 laptop. Both desktops are 2.5GHz+ with 1GB+ of ram. My laptop on the other hand is 1.3GHz centrino with 512mb of ram. The 2 desktops are useable, although not fast, and my laptop is absolutely unusable with it. I cannot believe how much slower they made windows.
My advice to everybody is that unless you feel a desire to be on the bleeding edge of things, and absolutely must have the few new cool toys they put in Vista, stay the heck away from it. It is a serious memory/processor/HD hog, and is not worth it. Besides, if you are that intent on being on the bleeding edge, you should be running linux where the latest releases of most packages are out on a daily basis.

Before you question my experience, my job is to offer tech support to windows XP/vista users, so I've had to deal with just a few very unhappy people.

Mr. Burns
11-13-2006, 01:42 AM
:dunno: runs great for me...

1.86 Centrino
2GB RAM
128MB Video

Im going to run it on my laptop for a few weeks before I install it on my home PC...

beecue
11-13-2006, 01:51 AM
is it possible to install this and keep xp? just make another partition or something

Xaroxantu Zero
11-13-2006, 12:08 PM
You can install Vista on another partition. I just installed it on another hard drive.

cityhunter2501
11-13-2006, 12:14 PM
so tempted right now...will try it later.

is there anyway to disable Vista edit my MBR.
Im using GRUB and want to keep it that way.

beecue
11-13-2006, 12:41 PM
^^^ yea i would also like to know how to install it over linux and xp .. i have grub installed too ... i dont even need linux anymore

Zero102
11-13-2006, 02:46 PM
Simplest solution, make a linux boot CD/disk, and re-run grub once Vista is installed.
Less simple solution - I'll check the knowledge base when I'm at work.

For those who say it runs great... do some kind of head-to-head comparison. Disable all of the bells and whistles, then run an application that ran slowly before. Watch how much slower it goes.
Microsoft was originally claiming that Vista would be more efficient than XP. Notice how they no longer claim that?....

Look at how much RAM windows uses just sitting idle, look at your CPU usage. Watch the frequent HD activity (yes XP does create a lot of HD activity, but vista creates 2-3x as much)
For those of us with laptops, imagine what this will do to your battery life.....

hampstor
11-13-2006, 11:45 PM
One of the things Vista does is indexes files for easy searching when the system is idle... it runs a fair amount of things that you'd try to avoid running when the system is in use.

If you've tried searching things come up a hell of a lot faster because it tries to index as much as you tell it to when the system is iding. I'm sure it's one of the many things that can easily be turned off. Maybe they'll open up the OS a bit and allow an AV scanner to run when the system is idle instead of during scheduled (and sometimes annoying) times.

I think Microsoft's point of view in the sense that a lot of systems now a days have a lot of power and the OS might as well take advantage of that to make the interface/visual experience a lot more appealing has a good point (as far as ease of use). That said, i'd like the ability to turn all that eye candy off if i don't like it and increase system performance (ie: when i'm playing games).

The part that really bugs me is the forced move to Vista they are going to start doing to everyone mid next year. I like XP, my machine is MORE then capable of running Vista but there are many people out there who won't be able to afford the upgrades required to make the move.

heinz256
11-14-2006, 09:38 AM
hey i installed RC2 a while back but I dont know how to make the windows appear 3d, as in looking at them at an angle. Anyone know?

Xaroxantu Zero
11-14-2006, 11:18 AM
If you're referring to Flip 3D, use CTRL+Windows Key+Tab. It's basically ALT+TAB with 3D effects.

cityhunter2501
11-15-2006, 12:03 AM
finally installed it on my laptop. which only gets a 2.3/5 Vista rating btw :rofl:

quad boot ftw :thumbsup:
looks really nice, will check how it performs though.

drew_goring
11-15-2006, 12:25 AM
1 hour to go...edit...

Xaroxantu Zero
11-15-2006, 12:38 AM
Read the NFO with Notepad.

drew_goring
11-15-2006, 12:39 AM
Thanks man!

beecue
11-15-2006, 01:05 AM
looks nice ... thats about it ... it uses 50% memory doing nothing ... i got 3.1/5 ... using core duo 1.6 .. 1gig ram ... shouldn't it be higher :dunno:

drew_goring
11-15-2006, 03:43 AM
Runs nice for me...slightly slower than XP, but not much.

Anyone have any luck getting Flash installed? I assume it is only a matter of days before Vista is supported.

drew_goring
11-15-2006, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by drew_goring
Runs nice for me...slightly slower than XP, but not much.

Anyone have any luck getting Flash installed? I assume it is only a matter of days before Vista is supported.

Well, figured that out. If anybody has troubles, just find a direct link from google. For some reason from the site it would not let me dload flash 9.

Xaroxantu Zero
11-15-2006, 09:57 AM
I didn't have any problems with running Adobe Flash Player 9 with IE, though I just use Firefox. :dunno:

My computer got a score of 4.5. It contains an Athlon 64 X2 4800+, 2GB PC3200 DDRRAM, and a Geforce 7600 GT. I'm running the OS off an old 40GB IDE HDD though.

drew_goring
11-15-2006, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Xaroxantu Zero
I didn't have any problems with running Adobe Flash Player 9 with IE, though I just use Firefox. :dunno:

My computer got a score of 4.5. It contains an Athlon 64 X2 4800+, 2GB PC3200 DDRRAM, and a Geforce 7600 GT. I'm running the OS off an old 40GB IDE HDD though.

Yeah it was kind of weird. I clicked on the link and it said that vista wasn't supported, but I could dload 9 beta and it was, but when I clicked on that they only had linux dloads. And it kept going in a circle. So I googled it and found the direct dload link and now it works fine.

ogpog
11-15-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by beecue
looks nice ... thats about it ... it uses 50% memory doing nothing ... i got 3.1/5 ... using core duo 1.6 .. 1gig ram ... shouldn't it be higher :dunno:

Yea, i ended up in pretty much the same situation. It was looking great, but gave my even my higher powered laptop some piss off issues - Such as random huge memory use, constant program violations that never occured in XP, and it just really didnt impress me much for functionality.

I switched back to xp pro and plan to stick with it for a bit longer.

Zero102
11-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Windows has taken the stance that people have resources to burn, and their operating system should consume them all.
It is unfortunate, but it is absolutely horrid news for those of us with laptops. Unlike Linux, where they are actually trying to make changes to REDUCE memory usage and processor usage in an effort to save power and make the system more responsive.... What a crazy plan those Linux guys have, eh?

As for the indexing for search, it would benefit a LOT from some simple search rules.
It should have some kind of rough name parsing to determine whether it is looking for a user file or a system file. Just making that determination would save 50% of the searching time, something their indexing system (which eats INSANE amounts of CPU time) is hard pressed to do. Instead they went and wrote a VERY complex routine to determine when the system is roughly idle so they could constantly examine the organization and naming of files on the disk.
I think a 'index drive' button on the search menu is a better choice. In the last 5 years, I have never used the search feature once. Lots of us don't need it, and quite frankly, don't want it. This is not a feature that should be enabled by default.

And, for those who might claim it is stable or relatively bug free, I get to see things on the inside. There are an amazing number of solution requests and bug reports. I couldn't guess how many, but I would say it is rapidly approaching the number of them that there are for XP, if it has not passed that number already. The difference? Vista is in RTM stage, XP has been out for 5 years.

GQBalla
11-17-2006, 12:11 AM
vista FTW!!! im really enjoying it right now - i got a 3.7 rating.
AHAHA the only thing that is bring me down is my processor -2.0 ghz P4 overclocked to 2.53 ghz

Lexxan
11-17-2006, 02:54 AM
I don't get why the search thing is such a big deal?? I know where everything is on my computer.

Xtrema
11-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
Windows has taken the stance that people have resources to burn, and their operating system should consume them all.
It is unfortunate, but it is absolutely horrid news for those of us with laptops. Unlike Linux, where they are actually trying to make changes to REDUCE memory usage and processor usage in an effort to save power and make the system more responsive.... What a crazy plan those Linux guys have, eh?

Windows' purpose is to move hardware sales. Manufacturers and jobs are depending on it. If everyone runs Unix/Linux, we'll still be paying $3K for a 500Mhz system with lots of hungry engineers on the streets.

Zero102
11-19-2006, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Windows' purpose is to move hardware sales. Manufacturers and jobs are depending on it. If everyone runs Unix/Linux, we'll still be paying $3K for a 500Mhz system with lots of hungry engineers on the streets.

Great, then I hope you like upgrading your entire computer just for microsoft.

People upgrade, buy new hardware, new software, etc., for lots of reasons. A new version of windows is a pretty weak reason IMO. They should focus on making operating systems more efficient instead of adding flashy gizmos all over the place. This is the direction Linux has been heading for quite some time. It is now a VERY efficient very versatile operating system, and they are hitting the stage where they make it easy to use for the average user. This is why Linux is picking up so much momentum now.