PDA

View Full Version : Smart decision or waste of time/money?

MarX
11-12-2006, 03:53 PM
I'm looking at a car I found locally for what seems to be a good price. It is a 1971 Oldsmobile 442 in lime green(not my choice but whatever) with black/white interior. I haven't found out the mileage or gotten pictures yet but that will be a deceiding factor. The price he is asking is $5500 and says it is in good condition(not immaculate but not bad either)
I am also planning to be moving to Vancouver within the next 8 or so months and would need to have the car shipped. What would that normally cost to have that done?
One other thing is even though this is a fairly cheap car I would be getting a small ($7000) loan for it and paying it off over a few years(one because I dont have that much right now and two to build up credit)
Any opinions on this?

Pic attached is what it would look like if it were red.

Weapon_R
11-12-2006, 04:26 PM
Nothing wrong with getting a loan to build up credit. It's great if you can make your payments on time and it helps young guys establish themselves better.

As for shipping it, this should not be a problem either. There are a few companies that will do this for you. I would estimate a move to cost around $800 for Van -> Ont

A790
11-12-2006, 09:03 PM
^^ what he says make sense.

TNation
11-12-2006, 10:09 PM
I'd say it would be probably a bit more for shipping because I looked at having a car from Toronto to Calgary and Hansens and AA Auto both quoted me around $1000 bucks. It'd probably be a bit more to 'Couver

Graham_A_M
11-12-2006, 11:37 PM
those 442's are very rare cars... I'd check on ebay, and get it apprasied to see how much its worth before you buy it. At least if its worth more then you paid for it then you can come out ahead if you need to... then again turn around and sell it; while paying back your loan with the money you recieved from the sale. That would really help your credit. Props on the good find!:thumbsup:

msommers
11-13-2006, 12:17 AM
Shipping from calgary to vancouver would be around 550 dollars. All the importers quoted almost exactly the same from the port to calgary so I would assume it's pretty damn close.

Teggy2nr
11-13-2006, 02:17 AM
id say go for it and even if you did have the cash take out a loan to buy it because having good credit makes things so much easier in the future

MarX
11-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the helpful replies guys. I just got pictures of it and it looks to be quite clean. I am going to try to get it I think.