dino_martini
11-12-2006, 07:43 PM
- Restaurant name - Nellies Cosmic Café
- Location - 1001 - 17 Ave SW
- Food rating 1.5/5
- Ambiance 1.5/5
- Service 4/5
- Overall - 2/5

Went there, and honestly there was a lineup outside. We waited and finally got it. I have yet to figure out why there was a line up. The food was terrible. I could have gone to Smitty's and gotten better food and presentation for cheaper. There was no pride at all in anything I saw. The place was dirty, the bathrooms were absolutely terrible. I'm not asking for the Ritz Carlton here, I'm asking for just a little cleanliness. This place seriously needs to be check out by the health board.

The prices were almost ok for what you got. It cost $30 + tip for three people to eat breakfast. The service was the only saving grace really. They had good service compared with the amount of people inside. But overall, I wonder how this place stays in business. :thumbsdow

googe
11-12-2006, 08:02 PM
ive eaten there a lot, didnt notice any cleanliness issues. never went in the bathroom though. its one of the few choices for home-made breakfast type food that is a step above the filth of dennys or humptys or whatever.

bulaian
11-12-2006, 09:23 PM
try diner deluxe next time, if you haven't already been there

kaput
11-12-2006, 09:34 PM

Si_FlyGuy
11-12-2006, 11:13 PM
Nellie's has always been a little dirty, I know so because one of my old roomies worked there. They use all low-cost ingredients such as president's choice/no name.

However, if you have to go there, don't sit on the 2nd floor on a busy day, you will end up smelling like the kitchen because the steam carries up and sticks to your clothes.

Galaxy Diner about 5 mins walk away is much better. If there is a lineup, they'll try to get the people that are done eating to leave faster. :rofl:

sputnik
11-13-2006, 08:28 AM
Nellie's has terrible food.

I dont understand why people line up for that place every weekend.

ZorroAMG
11-13-2006, 03:06 PM
Avenue Diner on 8th Ave and Centre SW and Diner Deluxe on Edmonton trail are where it's at. That's it, that's all. Nellies is nasty horseshit with one of the dirtiest kitchens in the city and that's not heresay.

max_boost
11-13-2006, 09:59 PM
Diner Deluxe is packed every morning when I drive by it. Coincidence I think not, my GF gave it :thumbsup: review. Check it out. Right on the corner of Edmonton Trail NE and 7th AVE.

Altezza
11-13-2006, 11:10 PM
Diner Deluxe is a cute little restaurant. I enjoyed it the last time I was there. The service and staff are great!

sputnik
11-14-2006, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Nellies is nasty horseshit with one of the dirtiest kitchens

It begs the question...

Which came first, the dirty kitchen or the dirty hippies that work there?

nosegrindR
11-14-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Nellie's has terrible food.

I dont understand why people line up for that place every weekend.

I think it has something to do with all the yuppies in Calgary

you can throw Nellie's cosmic cafe with the following yuppy trends:
- living in mission
- wearing lululemon pants
- doing yoga on grain fed matts
- starbucks non fat latte
- owning a miniature dog
- eating healthy organic food cause 'it's hip'

bigboom
11-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by nosegrindR

I think it has something to do with all the yuppies in Calgary

you can throw Nellie's cosmic cafe with the following yuppy trends:
- living in mission
- wearing lululemon pants
- starbucks non fat latte
- owning a miniature dog
- eating healthy organic food cause 'it's hip'

the only good thing about nellies is the burgers they have at the "break the fast" location on 9th ave...the back bacon burger is awesome.

?????
11-14-2006, 12:59 PM
Nellies in the loop is alright been there a few times.

Tik-Tok
11-14-2006, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by nosegrindR

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Nellies on 90th ave SW sucks, food is horrible.

Nellies in Marda Loop is a slight step ahead of Humpties

Diner Deluxe is great... except the waits, even at 10am on thursday you have to wait 20 minutes.

Arthur Dent
11-14-2006, 04:31 PM
I went there with some friends after one of them raved about it - pretty damn average if you ask me. rating = meh.