PDA

View Full Version : F*#@ing condensation

funkedelic
11-13-2006, 06:13 AM
Well one of my head lights had it when i first got my car. Its been a couple of weeks since then and now my other light has it too! :banghead:

It pisses me off because it kills the look of the car when your lights are all fogged up and I don't know how it gets there or how to get rid of it easily.

Anyone have this problem? Any tips on getting rid of it?

mo_money2supe
11-13-2006, 06:26 AM
It tends to happen on a lot of new cars nowadays. So much for new = better.

When I used to work at a dealership, that happened to a number of the new cars as well, and as a detailer, we were taught to just wave a heat gun in front of the lights for a few minutes at a time until all the condensation was gone. It kept reoccuring mind you, but as long as it looked good for the customer, our job was done. Anyway, it doesn't hurt or damage anything so give it a try.

Otherwise, you could always take apart the glass/plastic from the unit itself and try re-sealing it. It's a lot more work, but should be more of a permanent solution, assuming you do it correctly.

Kaos
11-13-2006, 06:31 AM
Its your aftermarket headlights which caused this.
Try to reseal it, or otherwise purchase a better set.

funkedelic
11-13-2006, 06:35 AM
im going to try the heat gun idea, and try to run my lights as much as possible. I have heard that leaving your high beams on for at least 10 minutes a night helps too and eventually should clear all of the water.

If that doesn't work, im going to try to drill a very small hole in the assembly and hopefully it all comes out. If THAT fails, then fuck it. Im getting new head lights, because i really don't feel like taking them apart, heating them up and re sealing them

mo_money2supe
11-13-2006, 07:11 AM
DON'T drill the lights!! If anything, that's an invitation for bringing even more condensation into the lights!

Here's a thought, maybe try taking out the headlight unit and just putting a thin, continuous caulking of silicon around the seals. It might save you the hassle of taking apart the glass/plastic. :dunno:

Lexxan
11-13-2006, 08:11 AM
That happened with my old 03 silverado and I took it in on warranty and they replaced the whole unit

rc2002
11-13-2006, 08:51 AM
What kind of car is it? Are the lights OEM ones?

funkedelic
11-13-2006, 09:30 AM
well its definately not covered by any warranty whatsover since its a 90's e36. The lights aren't OEM either. Im not sure what they are

FiveFreshFish
11-13-2006, 11:04 PM
Time to switch to a pair of ZKW headlights.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/trust.no.one/Misc/ZKW_19.JPG

funkedelic
11-14-2006, 12:41 AM
how much?

Weapon_R
11-14-2006, 12:44 AM
ZKW are approx 360USD, DEPOs are under $200. For the price, Depos are a very good value :thumbsup:

funkedelic
11-14-2006, 12:46 AM
hmm yeah ill definately have to look into that. Got rid of most of the condensation. My lights are pretty bad, they were bad on the highway when i was in calgary

benyl
11-14-2006, 10:48 AM
When you posted the pics of your car, that was the first thing I noticed.

My e46 came brand new with condensation, but after I week, I haven't seen it since.