PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Bike

kenny
05-07-2003, 02:56 AM
Is it really that difficult to learn on a faster bike? I noticed when people are discussing what bike to get, a lot of people recommend getting a smaller/slower bike then move up to a faster one later on. Is it worth the trouble to have to sell a bike to upgrade later on?

bksze
05-07-2003, 03:32 AM
hell no . . . buy what you can afford . . . the faster the bike you learn on, the faster the next bike you get!!!

if you can afford a SLK 32 would you let ppl who say "you can't handle that power yet" stop you? FUK NO

it's all about common sense and how good you are at keepin your head straight on the roads!!

dam_guy
05-07-2003, 03:38 AM
haven't thrown my-self on a bike yet, but most ppl i know who ride start out on a 600cc. my guess is that 600 is a good place to start and you won't get bored of it for awhile.

HillBilly
05-07-2003, 07:49 AM
Kenny, just go get the fastest thing you can find. I started on a Ninja 900 a year ago. Now I have a Hayabusa 1300. No regrets from starting with a large bike.

boi-alien
05-07-2003, 12:52 PM
that's the way i look at it, just pick up the fastest one you can afford so you don't outgrow it so fast. too bad the R1 is a tad big for me, i gotta start working out again! hahah

bigboom
05-07-2003, 12:57 PM
id go with a 600cc...its more forgiving...especially if you ride it hard thats why people say go with a smaller bike...its also lighter and easier to handle...also the way i see it 600cc is the most competitive class of bikes which means you are getting the most for your money :)

Wildcat
05-07-2003, 01:04 PM
ya get an R1, give it a week or so and ill be seeing a 100ft bloody smear on the news with bits of mangled plastic and aluminum shattered all over the place "Hey look its kenny! hes on TV!" :D

kevie88
05-07-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by bksze
hell no . . . buy what you can afford . . . the faster the bike you learn on, the faster the next bike you get!!!

if you can afford a SLK 32 would you let ppl who say "you can't handle that power yet" stop you? FUK NO

it's all about common sense and how good you are at keepin your head straight on the roads!!

Dude, if you had any idea how many funerals I've been to because people just said "buy the fastest possible bike right away" it would make you sick..
I guess the only upside is I've been able to buy a ton of write-offs to make into racebikes.

bol
05-07-2003, 01:24 PM
heh you can get into trouble easily with a 125CC trainer let alone a sportbike

all up to the individual i guess. lots of people have bought new litre bikes and have been fine... and lots of people have bought small bikes and worked their way up and died.

caution is the word of the day

SplineZ
05-07-2003, 01:50 PM
Buy whatever your comforatable on. Big bikes are heavy, and not quite as nimble, small bikes are nimble but not super speedy.

Are you gunna be taking it to the track?

doing things in moderation, I'd get like a 250 sportbike drive it for a year to get used to it, and then buy something larger. Im sure you could find someone to buy a smaller bike quite easily.

JZ

bigboom
05-07-2003, 02:02 PM
yeah personally i know a couple guys who picked up r1's and 9r's just because they are more expensive than 600's and they end up writing off bikes and injuring themseves or killing themselves...a 600 is a heckuva a lot of bike for these streets already

SplineZ
05-07-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by bigboom
yeah personally i know a couple guys who picked up r1's and 9r's just because they are more expensive than 600's and they end up writing off bikes and injuring themseves or killing themselves...a 600 is a heckuva a lot of bike for these streets already

A friend of mine picked up a CBR600, was showing off 3 days after he got it.. Layed it down doing ~140km/hr across an intersection. He slid thru 2 fenced yards, busting the fences up, and has a huge scar on his hip. Needless to say, he kept the bike, did some body work, drove it for 3 months and sold it :)

I doubt he'll do that again. one of those "i told you so stories"

JZ

ecstasy_civic
05-07-2003, 02:46 PM
a friend of mine in burnaby killed himself on his bike last august.

we had just left the gym and i was stuck at the light southbound and saw him come up beside me ready to merge westbound he went to pull a wheelie out of the merge lane onto oncoming traffic and got it up and when it went to put it down he turned his wheel and when he came down it threw the bike into a spin and he didnt let go and he hit a light standard and split him and the bike in half.

i couldnt believe it. i immediatly ran from my car to him but he was in pieces everywhere. i was so upset. i had a plan of ordering an r6 same as his when i got back to calgary. and now it scares me everytime i think about guys stunting on there bikes.
it just goes to show even if your an experianced rider like he was, things can happen.

James
05-07-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
a friend of mine in burnaby killed himself on his bike last august.

we had just left the gym and i was stuck at the light southbound and saw him come up beside me ready to merge westbound he went to pull a wheelie out of the merge lane onto oncoming traffic and got it up and when it went to put it down he turned his wheel and when he came down it threw the bike into a spin and he didnt let go and he hit a light standard and split him and the bike in half.

i couldnt believe it. i immediatly ran from my car to him but he was in pieces everywhere. i was so upset. i had a plan of ordering an r6 same as his when i got back to calgary. and now it scares me everytime i think about guys stunting on there bikes.
it just goes to show even if your an experianced rider like he was, things can happen.

Sorry to hear that :(....i dont think i trust myself enough to get a bike...dont have a clue in the world what i would be doing( no bike experience whatsoever), and i think i want to keep it that way.

ecstasy_civic
05-07-2003, 02:57 PM
there lots of fun, thtas why i wanted one.
if i got one now i would be so careful and so scared id do soemthing stupid like that.

James
05-07-2003, 03:02 PM
if i got one now i would be so careful and so scared id do soemthing stupid like that.

exactly, they would be a blast to own..but too risky i think, ( for someone inexperienced)....4 of my friends from high school ( a year younger than me) all just got Bikes for this Summer, all got ATLEAST a 600, and only 1 of the 4 has ANY expereince on a Bike before....and they are all the type of guy that would want to show off by doing tricks etc.. looks like i gotta go buy a black Suit.:rolleyes:

ecstasy_civic
05-07-2003, 03:09 PM
so true, tip top has a good sale on lol i just bought one.

there so scary because of the purpose theyre made for. i mean if you have experiance and actually know what your doing, theyd be awesome but for people who just buy one "just to have" its stupid. thtas why i dont think ill be buying one any time soon. im happy driving on 4 wheels safely:D

gpomp
05-07-2003, 03:10 PM
Er, I heard that 99 CBR600F4's are good beginner bikes. Especially the ones in red and black.

sml
05-07-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
Er, I heard that 99 CBR600F4's are good beginner bikes. Especially the ones in red and black.

Wooo... what a coincidence... I have a 99 CBR600F4 red/black beginner bike for sale!!! Kenny, this is your lucky day! :clap:

sml
05-07-2003, 06:13 PM
Here are some of my comments to some of your comments...

I agree with some of you who thinks that it doesn't really matter what kind of bike you get cause just because you drive a ferrari, doesn't mean that you have to drive at it's limits. BUT, I do agree with some of you that there are bikes out there that are less forgiving than others, whether it be cornering, shifting, riding position, etc. It might be easier to drive a civic than a ferrari, based on it's size and gear ratio... Just because ferraris are not meant to be a "confort" car. Just like in motorcycle terminology, it'd be the difference between a 600cc Honda vs a 1000cc Suzuki... And I do disagree with some of you who *thinks* that just because a 1000cc bike have a bigger engine, DOES NOT mean that it's heavier than a 600cc bike!!! As a matter of fact, if you check the Honda website, a CBR600F4i weight exactly the same as a CBR954RR (370lbs dry)... So, if the only reason why you don't want to get a 1000cc bike because it's "too big" for you, think again. But seriously, a 600cc Honda is a good place to start. :thumbsup:

dogstar
05-10-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by kevie88
Dude, if you had any idea how many funerals I've been to because people just said "buy the fastest possible bike right away" it would make you sick..
I guess the only upside is I've been able to buy a ton of write-offs to make into racebikes.

i agree, i hate seeing people die cause they wanted the biggest bike out there... my friends and i all call those bikes baby killers, cause mommy and daddy buys their lil baby boy (or girl) a "nice, 'real'" bike for their first ride.
if you want a big bike, buy a 600 and learn to ride, then get a nice used superbike, cause by that time youll know enough about what you like to make a good choice.

i dont mean to make light of your friends death, but people die crossing the street every day, yet i bet you still walk across the street.
dont stop living life because your friend died doing something he enjoyed.
go out and live your life and make your friend proud.

method
05-20-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by dogstar
i dont mean to make light of your friends death, but people die crossing the street every day, yet i bet you still walk across the street.
dont stop living life because your friend died doing something he enjoyed.
go out and live your life and make your friend proud.

if you think that crossing the street in a controlled intersection and driving like a nut on a bike that you cant handle are comparable, you're an idiot. :thumbsdow

r7
05-21-2003, 09:07 AM
is an r1 really that much faster than the r6?

kevie88
05-21-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by rseven
is an r1 really that much faster than the r6?

Yes. But in the real world, an average mortal can go faster on an R6, because it's easier to ride.

dogstar
05-21-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by method

if you think that crossing the street in a controlled intersection and driving like a nut on a bike that you cant handle are comparable, you're an idiot. :thumbsdow

you completely missed the point of my post obviously.

i meant that millions of people walk across the street safely, yet every now and then, someone gets run over.
you dont let that one persons injury or death stop you from walking across a street do you??

if you need me to explain it further, ill draw pictures (in crayon) and give you a diagram

method
05-22-2003, 06:35 PM
do millions of people buy bikes that are too powerful for them every day? you cant compare walking across the god damn street to buying a bike that's too powerful for you. the point of your post doesnt reflect anything relevant to what you were quoting int he first place.

thanks bud.

dogstar
05-22-2003, 06:51 PM
your welcome, although i dont know why.

you are still missing the point.

i didnt say anything about the particular bike, i was simply posting about motorbikes in general.
if you read what ive posted in beginner bike threads, ive always recommended getting a slower, less powerful bike.
not sure how you figure im comparing powerful bikes to walking across the street, but let me reiterate my point, just for you.

an airplane crashes.... do you cancel your trip to the bahamas?
sure, you might crash too, but your way more likely to go to the bahamas and have a good time.

same thing as motorbikes.
someone has an accident and is hurt, or god forbid, killed.
should you stop, or never start riding a motorcycle??

no.
i think people should choose what they want to do, to be afraid of a motorcycle is like being afraid of a gun.
both can kill you, it just depends on whos operating them.

method
05-23-2003, 12:50 AM
no, you quoted someone who said his friend had bought a bike that was too powerful and was driving far too nutty, and then he died. when you quote someone, it usually means the point that you're making is in refrence to what they said originally. yes I understand the point that people die in auto accidents every day... I still drive to school and shit. its an acceptable risk in "the eyes of the beholder"

Shaolin
05-23-2003, 01:03 AM
It's only powerful if you decide to not be careful with it.. whether you're on a 600, 750, 900, 1000, 1300cc, if you don't become an idiot and squid around you'll be perfectly fine.. go buy yourself a 1300cc, know what the bike's capabilities are, and know what you're capable of doing.. it's not the bike that makes it dangerous, it's the rider.

Just make sure you get a bike you can duck walk on.. it's a hassle to have to WALK your motorcycle in a parking lot because you can't duck walk out of a stall because of short legs or somethin.