PDA

View Full Version : Help: wheel stuck

buh_buh
11-13-2006, 01:47 PM
I was going to swap some winter wheels onto my car, but I can't seem to get the rears off. They are stuck on the hub pretty good. I tried WD40ing it, I kicked the shit out of it with my steel toed boots, I loosened all the lugs and did some ebrake slides to try loosening it, but they are still on there pretty good. Anyone got any suggestions as to how to get these damn wheels off?

Zero102
11-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Wow, if sliding the back end around with the lugs loose didn't break them free......
Is there anywhere you can wedge like a 4' prybar in there? Pry against the rotor or the hub?

topmade
11-13-2006, 02:56 PM
Looks like you've tried alot. The only thing else I can think to try is using a sledge hammer to knock them loose, or you can try jacking it up and prying it loose from the inside.

Rat Fink
11-13-2006, 04:38 PM

Jatt87
11-13-2006, 04:54 PM
use a metal pipe or bat and swing at the tire from the inside and it should come off

westbeach
11-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Whoa.. be careful when you use your sludge hammer and what not to pry it off due to it could break the bead and air might all of a sudden discharge.. But other then that you might have to get a puller.. try what everyone else said get under it WITH JACKSTANDS and kick it outwards. if its aluminum rims be careful not to bend the lip.. Cheers & goodluck dude.. Once you get the rim off have a look at the inner of the rim and make sure that the hub centric ring is not lodged on there.. Other then that ???

rc2002
11-13-2006, 05:00 PM
Try swinging one of your loose winter wheel/tires at it. That'll give you some more weight behind it. The rubber is good at cushioning the blow too.

idriveabox
11-13-2006, 05:10 PM
Just happened to me as well, I hit the inside of the tire at the bottom with a rubber mallet.

:thumbsup:

HHURICANE1
11-13-2006, 05:21 PM
I always have the same problem one of my cars, the rears are a bitch to get off. I kick the shit out of them and they usually come off.

snowboard
11-13-2006, 05:22 PM
i bet if you slid into a curb with loose lugs it would help :poosie:

VF-1A
11-14-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
Wow, if sliding the back end around with the lugs loose didn't break them free......
Is there anywhere you can wedge like a 4' prybar in there? Pry against the rotor or the hub?

A pry bar? Surely you jest.

Originally posted by topmade
Looks like you've tried alot. The only thing else I can think to try is using a sledge hammer to knock them loose, or you can try jacking it up and prying it loose from the inside.

Surely YOU jest as well.

Originally posted by Rat Fink
I usually leave one lug nut loose, and kick the bottom of the tire (from underneath the car) outwards to get them free. Or use a sledge hammer ON THE TIRE in the same manner.....from underneath the vehicle outward

MAKE SURE THE CAR IS SUPPORTED ON JACKSTANDS!!! - there's my disclaimer. you hurt yourself, you're dumb. haha

This guy's the one I'd listen to. He obviously has done it before and knows what he's doing.

Originally posted by westbeach
Whoa.. be careful when you use your sludge hammer and what not to pry it off due to it could break the bead and air might all of a sudden discharge.. But other then that you might have to get a puller.. try what everyone else said get under it WITH JACKSTANDS and kick it outwards. if its aluminum rims be careful not to bend the lip.. Cheers & goodluck dude.. Once you get the rim off have a look at the inner of the rim and make sure that the hub centric ring is not lodged on there.. Other then that ???

Break the bead. On an inflated tire. I thought you said sledge, not jack hammer. And your more likely to BREAK an aluminium rim than bend it.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by idriveabox
[B]Just happened to me as well, I hit the inside of the tire at the bottom with a rubber mallet.

Exactly.

IF you have aluminium rims, they are prone to seizing on the steel hub. As aluminum and steel combinations do. My advice would be: listen to ratfink and idriveabox. And before you put aluminum rims on, put a very thin layer of anti-seize on the inside of the rim only where it seats on the hub. That way you won't have to ask this again or fight with your wheels.

Zero102
11-15-2006, 11:13 AM
A pry bar? Surely you jest.

No jest at all sir!
A 4' pry bar wedged between a hole in the rim and the rotor will give you an insane amount of leverage (if you pull with 150lbs, it will give close to 1200lbs if you are only 6" from the end).
Beating a tire with a sledgehammer, now that is in jest. For it will most likely cause damage to the tire's sidewall, and greatly increase the change of a wobble, or worse, a blowout later on.
Getting under a car up on jack stands and kicking the tire.... I've rocked a car off jack stands before, this is the next best thing to suicide.

Now, a pry bar.... 1200lbs of force, no risk of crushing yourself, no risk of blowouts later....
Yup, I was kidding.

Weapon_R
11-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Use something HEAVY (like another tire) and swing it hard against the one thats stuck. That should get it loose. Make sure you see why its stuck though, it shouldn't be on there that much.

VF-1A
11-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Zero102

No jest at all sir!
A 4' pry bar wedged between a hole in the rim and the rotor will give you an insane amount of leverage (if you pull with 150lbs, it will give close to 1200lbs if you are only 6" from the end).
Beating a tire with a sledgehammer, now that is in jest. For it will most likely cause damage to the tire's sidewall, and greatly increase the change of a wobble, or worse, a blowout later on.
Getting under a car up on jack stands and kicking the tire.... I've rocked a car off jack stands before, this is the next best thing to suicide.

Now, a pry bar.... 1200lbs of force, no risk of crushing yourself, no risk of blowouts later....
Yup, I was kidding.

And what kind of damage are ya gonna do to a rotor(or drum) and the inside of your rim with "1200"lbs of leverage. Musta got your jack stands at Auto Value. GO PERFORMANCE TOOL!!!

mekeni
11-15-2006, 07:37 PM
kick it while sitting down on the pavement instead of standing up, you'll have more force that way.. usually works for me :thumbsup:

M.alex
11-15-2006, 08:25 PM
Some of these suggestions are just plain scary

D'z Nutz
11-15-2006, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by VF-1A
IF you have aluminium rims, they are prone to seizing on the steel hub. As aluminum and steel combinations do. My advice would be: listen to ratfink and idriveabox. And before you put aluminum rims on, put a very thin layer of anti-seize on the inside of the rim only where it seats on the hub. That way you won't have to ask this again or fight with your wheels.

What is the reason for the seizing? My sister's car gets that way each time we need to swap tires and it's damn annoying. And what recommendations are their for "anti-seize"?

EK 2.0
11-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
What is the reason for the seizing? My sister's car gets that way each time we need to swap tires and it's damn annoying. And what recommendations are their for "anti-seize"?

The reasoning is the different metals and the temperature extremes D. And you can pick up the anti-seize at any auto parts store...comes in a lil jar...like 6-10 bucks I am guessing it's been a while since I have bought any it lasts a long time haha...

The stuff I use is by "Permatex"...its copper anti-seize, and the colour of the jar is copper as well...

D'z Nutz
11-15-2006, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
The reasoning is the different metals and the temperature extremes D. And you can pick up the anti-seize at any auto parts store...comes in a lil jar...like 6-10 bucks I am guessing it's been a while since I have bought any it lasts a long time haha...

The stuff I use is by "Permatex"...its copper anti-seize, and the colour of the jar is copper as well...

Thanks! I'll have to go pick some up :thumbsup:

zieg
11-15-2006, 09:55 PM
You could also try carefully heating the center of the wheel with a propane torch or something. Depends on what kinda wheels you have though...

Rat Fink
11-15-2006, 11:07 PM

buh_buh
11-16-2006, 01:59 AM
theyre on steelies, so i dont care if i damage them at all.
I tried the pry bar thing too already, but the holes are too small and couldnt get a decent pry bar in there. But next weekend I'll try taking a bat to the back of the tire and other methods mentions here.

VF-1A
11-16-2006, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

My bad. I've worked in auto parts for so long i forget not everyone knows the slang. Thanks for specifying. Yeah the price is still about the same and you're right. I bought the small one about 8yrs ago and i still have it. A little definately goes a looooong way.

Originally posted by buh_buh
theyre on steelies, so i dont care if i damage them at all.
I tried the pry bar thing too already, but the holes are too small and couldnt get a decent pry bar in there. But next weekend I'll try taking a bat to the back of the tire and other methods mentions here.

Make sure it's a wooden bat that you'll never need again. The heat thing is a good idea too. Nothin breaks up rust like a torch.

theken
11-16-2006, 12:35 PM
go work out for 6 months on a leg press, then kick them off

nonsane
11-17-2006, 09:36 AM
This happened to a car of mine.

Not that I recommend this, but i tried all of these things, prying, kicking, i even parked a second car next to it, leaned against the tire, and used all my leg force trying to get the damn thing off and it wouldn't budge.

What i ended up doing was loosening the lugnuts 1/4 of a turn and driving around slowly in the parking lot. For one of the tires that STILL didn't work, so i drove against a curb and that got it dislodged.

Next time you change the tires put some anti-seize on there(not on the lugs!)