PDA

View Full Version : COP Snowboard Lessons

LUCKYSTRIKE
11-15-2006, 12:01 AM
Hey guys,

I've been snowboarding for about 10 years now so I know what I'm doing ... except for in the terrain park.

I was thinking about taking one of COP's terrain park related instructional courses, anyone had any experience Or recommendations if I wanna get familiar with the terrain park, doing jumps (tricks), rails.

Thanks

marko polo
11-15-2006, 08:44 PM
best program out there is Riders On Board IMO, all the instructors are cool snowboarding guys and you will definately learn something.

for ex. my buddy went into that program as an average boarder that could go off jumps but not much more and by the end of the season he was doing switch 900's no joke, i couldnt believe it either.

Kobe
11-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by marko polo
best program out there is Riders On Board IMO, all the instructors are cool snowboarding guys and you will definately learn something.

for ex. my buddy went into that program as an average boarder that could go off jumps but not much more and by the end of the season he was doing switch 900's no joke, i couldnt believe it either.

Riders on board is no more, its under a new name now..

And It is actually a joke, its like 5 kids to 1 instructor, they don't really teach you much i'v heard...

Lo)2enz0
11-15-2006, 09:20 PM
ya, they just watch you ride in the park and give you advice with rob

but when it comes to the employed instrustors there your doing a hit and miss type of deal. some can be experienced well but alot of them arn't and i found that the program that i was in to be the biggest joke.

drew_goring
11-15-2006, 10:10 PM
COP had a sweet park when I got my pipe and park cert on skis a couple years ago. I assume that CASI (snowboarding) has a similar course for their instructors. Just tell them what you want, and I am sure that they will set you up with an instructor that can teach you.

But there is only so much teaching to be done. Once they get you started, you just have to keep hittin' it until you get it right.

LUCKYSTRIKE
11-18-2006, 01:28 AM
So would you guys say It would be a good idea to give it a shot? Because I really have now idea on how to attempt jumps, technique, or where even where to begin.

Kobe
11-18-2006, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by LUCKYSTRIKE
So would you guys say It would be a good idea to give it a shot? Because I really have now idea on how to attempt jumps, technique, or where even where to begin.

Id recommend looking at some websites first like:

http://snowboarding.about.com/cs/tipstricks/ht/IndyGrab.htm

First try to hit maybe the little jumps by yourself.. it will be scary at first...

I'd recommended going beside the jump first off, and seeing how the landing is, if its icey, or soft.. (usually icey at cop) and how steep it is.. ect...

Always remember "fear is the enemy of progression" When you go off the jump you need to commit, stay calm and bend your legs when you land...

slammed_cb7
11-18-2006, 01:40 AM
I have been a coach and instructor at COP over the last 4 years and generellay people that go into the park with no experience and without guidance go two ways: they either brake themselves because they get cocky or learn nothing becuase they are scared shitless of everything. If you went with a competent instructor, and you are a competent and resonably skilled/athletic student you can learn a lot in a matter of hours. It won't happen overnight as a lot of it is feeling and repetition but there are definetley some key skills to learn that will set you well on your way:thumbsup:

RASPY
11-18-2006, 12:37 PM
best way to learn is to try man who cares youll get a littke broke off but just hit the little tables and keep hittin them until it feels normal. and theres no way your friend was doing cab nines man that is a joke hahhaha