PDA

View Full Version : Interviews - How to dress

stealth
11-15-2006, 04:36 PM
Alright, I am just curious, as to what you guys wear to interviews?

Career interviews that is.

What is acceptable and not acceptable.

I had guys in my class go with jeans and a shirt, and get a job.

But I personally wear dress pants, and a dress shirt.

ogpog
11-15-2006, 04:37 PM
White Tuxedo
http://www.tuxedosonline.com/images/small/whitetailssm.jpg

stealth
11-15-2006, 04:40 PM
:bigpimp: haha

Slashin_
11-15-2006, 04:42 PM
everything dress.....shows ur serious

aram1000
11-15-2006, 04:45 PM
Don't go over the top. A nice pair of formal type pants(can't go wrong with black) or a nice pair of khaki's, a nice collered shirt or a polo, and a nice pair of shoes. Just make sure you iron your clothes before you wear them to the interview and that should be fine. Simple and coordinated. As long as you look clean and presentable, and carry yourself professionally you should be fine.

lint
11-15-2006, 04:50 PM
depends on the office environment. A good rule of thimb is always one step better than what the usual office dress is. If they're normally in jeans, then wear a nice pair of khakis and a shirt. If they normally go business casual, wear a suit and tie. If they're in suits all day, go rent a tux with tails to really impress.

msommers
11-15-2006, 04:58 PM
A pair of my very best silk boxers and nothing more

nos_efx
11-15-2006, 05:18 PM
I always go in with a suit - dress pants/shirt, tie, and a suit jacket.

It may sometimes appear over the top but you are there for a career interview so you should take it seiously by dressing appropriately and showing that you are a serious candidate.

If I was conducting interviews I personally would find it insulting for someone to wear jeans or something inappropriate.

EK 2.0
11-15-2006, 05:25 PM
and PLEASE make sure your shoes are clean...

I dont know how many times I have conducted an interview (when I used to do that) and the applicant came in all spiffy and dressed well...but scuffed shoes...

Shoes are one of the first things people notice...

Supa Dexta
11-15-2006, 05:26 PM
I like to hide in the bushes early that morning and see who will be interviewing me, and see what they are wearing.. I then go out and buy the exact same thing...

Then when yo go in, your like hey! good taste... high five!

But really, If I was going in for a job for say labour work/dirtier job/ and was dressed really nice, would they see you as a pretty boy who may not cut it, or expect it from you, as it is an interview to make a good impression. I've always wondered...

Audio_Rookie
11-15-2006, 05:27 PM
I usually go in khaki's and a clean shirt......even a car show shirt...as long as its clean, not cluttered, and wrinkle free.

I have got every job I have been interviewed for.

I don't think its about dressing over the top, but more of everything being clean and tidy.

Eric G.

topmade
11-15-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by ogpog
White Tuxedo

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I would seriously fall off my chair if someone came in for an interview dressed like that.

Dress business casual since that's how most places dress code is. This way you fit right in and look the part. I don't think you need to wear a suite and tie, but it wouldn't hurt. Dressing to impress is one thing and actually impressing them with your attitude and knowledge is another. Make sure you are clean cut and have nice shoes too.

Rav4Guy
11-15-2006, 05:41 PM
depends on the job but usually a Suit/dress shirt/tie works like a charm. If you're applying for a rig job.. well... jeans and a clean shirt.

ricefarmer
11-15-2006, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by lint
If they're in suits all day, go rent a tux with tails to really impress.

:rofl: I think you'd look more like a bone head than anything and not get the job.
You don't want to over dress your interviewer. but use your judgement, I'm assuming its an office/down town job and in that case I don't know of any offices in dt Calgary not wearing suits to work:thumbsup: - can't go wrong with a consevative suit with shirt tie combo (meaning not mexx or something like that)

toyboy88
11-15-2006, 07:12 PM
clean ironed pair of dress pants with a simple solid color dress shirt..well groomed of course (ie. BO, shave, etc.) and MATCHING shoes!!! IOW not runners or sneakers with dress pants!? :drama:

GTS Jeff
11-15-2006, 07:26 PM
Ninja suit to show them how serious you are.

hash
11-15-2006, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by toyboy88
MATCHING shoes!!! IOW not runners or sneakers with dress pants!? :drama:

+ black socks! white socks with dress shoes = :thumbsdow

92probe
11-15-2006, 08:14 PM
I have alway been told to "dress for the job you want not the job you have" so dress respectible, then when you get the job you can start showing up in ripped jeans :D

Ajay
11-16-2006, 01:37 AM
Depends on the job you're going for. For the job I'm doing now (sales while in school) I scoped out the place a couple days before my interview and noticed that all were wearing shirt and ties so I wore that to the interview.

For any type of professional interview I would wear a suit.

Euro838
11-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Audio_Rookie
I usually go in khaki's and a clean shirt......even a car show shirt...as long as its clean, not cluttered, and wrinkle free.

I have got every job I have been interviewed for.

I don't think its about dressing over the top, but more of everything being clean and tidy.

Eric G.

With your record, you should go for a job with a C in front of it! i.e. CEO, CFO, CIO, etc.

LOL! :)

Euro838
11-16-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by topmade

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I would seriously fall off my chair if someone came in for an interview dressed like that.

Dress business casual since that's how most places dress code is. This way you fit right in and look the part. I don't think you need to wear a suite and tie, but it wouldn't hurt. Dressing to impress is one thing and actually impressing them with your attitude and knowledge is another. Make sure you are clean cut and have nice shoes too.

Agreed, just make everything is clean and straight. It's not really important to be completely decked out in a nice suit, but a nice pair of pants, with a collared shirt and a tie is essential. I would not recommend wearing sneakers but something with a semi-lustre finish. This probably applies about 80% of the time, there's always the 20% where a different style and attitude would impress the interviewer but it's your call if you think you'll have a better shot at 20% opposed to 80%. Be yourself and don't compromise unless they're paying mega bucks and you're willing to live with it.

TimG
11-16-2006, 03:19 PM
+1 for the comment about making sure you have clean & matching shoes.

Another thing that may or may not be minor is make sure your hands are clean. no motor oil or crap under your fingernails, etc.

seer_claw
11-16-2006, 06:25 PM
I tend to wear dress pants, shirt and tie. One of the most important things is to be clean cut and shaven. Even if you have a goatee, trim it and clean it up. I went in for one interview and the first thing that came out of the managers mouth was "Its good to see that you clean cut and freshly shaved."

TrevorK
11-16-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by lint
depends on the office environment. A good rule of thimb is always one step better than what the usual office dress is.

That's the way I've always understood it as well.

Some people believe that if you dress significantly better than the people interviewing you it gives them the wrong impression, and sometimes are even intimidated by you.

cosmo
11-22-2006, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by TimG
+1 for the comment about making sure you have clean & matching shoes.

Another thing that may or may not be minor is make sure your hands are clean. no motor oil or crap under your fingernails, etc.
On top of a clean shaven, neatly pressed, business casual clothing and professional demeanor, I was going to say the same thing. Make sure you have clean hands and fingernails. Employers take notice of minor details. And if you are detail-oriented, likely they will want that quality in an employee.

mucat
11-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by ogpog
White Tuxedo

And the glass of wine is very important, give you the successful businessman look.

cbinteg
11-29-2006, 05:04 PM
I can't believe the number of people that I've interviewed come in with a wrinkled shirt and crummy pants. I think if you're serious about the position you'll try to be professional. Sadly first impressions do count during times like these.