PDA

View Full Version : Replicars (kit cars) What are peoples take omn them?

Kona9
11-15-2006, 08:44 PM
Lately I have had kit cars on my mind. Part of me sees a pretty fun but trying project. Yet another part of me thinks it's a waste. There is the thought of..."why own a fake" Then that follows with a ..."well ya can't afford the reaL thing for quite a while, or at all" so why not make a sweet project.

Those thoughts don't occur when viewing the K1 attack, as it is pretty original, and I really enjoy the Honda tuning part. For a few years I have really liked the K1 Attack. Using a 90-93 accord for a donor Vehicle, and the ability to do up an H22 motor as an engine option, all in a pretty nice exotic layout!!

http://www.attackforums.com/showthread.php?t=2105

I have a hunch that the MR2 spyder is not available in Canada
and at this time you have to order complete cars from the DNA factory in Europe as there are no agents or distributors in North America.

Today I skipped across another kit car forum and came across another one. Using the MR2 Spyder body, this 360 is a pretty fuckin good replica. Page 4 and 5 have good pics of it. The Black one is pretty damn nice!!

http://www.kitcarsforum.com/index.php?topic=7124.0

There a quite a few lambo and Ferrari makers out there. I'm just not fond of a fiero anything!

http://www.coolcustomcars.com/f355photos.html

http://www.kimbex.pl/eltorro/index.php?idcatside=1

I just want to hear what people think of this kinda of vehicle project!!

euro_racer
11-15-2006, 08:50 PM
wow i really like the attack one, never seen it before but i really like it. on the other habd the ferrari 360 replica one is not as impressive over all when you look at the interior

it would be super cool to have someone build the Attack kit car in calgary :bigpimp:

Kona9
11-15-2006, 08:56 PM
If I can get the funds together,I would LOVE to!!!!

Here is a minor Step by Step build of one guys Attack in California.

There are pics of him rippin around with no body on. Pretty sweet!!!!

www.attackbuild.com

M.alex
11-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Kit cars suck and must be exterminated off the face of this world!!!!! ............ oh , wait............... :rofl: :angel:

There's nothign wrong w/ them and they're a damn fun project to do - but you have to know what you're getting into - the reason most don't like kit cars is because a lot of kits leave quality as well as safety to be lacking.

For example, there about about a dozen manufacturers for Shelby Cobra kit cars - however, only a handful are really worth the $$$.

Before you buy any kit, research, research, then research more!
E.g., lots of people automatically gravitate to Superperformance Cobras because they're one of the more expensive kits and are more 'authentic' (and also have a licensing agreement w/ Shelby). However, one look at the chassis and it's like :/ :/ :/ :/ Factory Five, on the other hand, is insanely good build quality and more than worth the $$$.

ZedMan
11-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Replicars, ie. make your fiero look like a ferrari, not so nice.

actual kit cars, ie cobras, caterham, ariel, ultima etc. are sweet :bigpimp:

Arthur Dent
11-15-2006, 09:19 PM
If you are serious http://halerconcepts.com/ is the offical agent for a couple different kits. Chris, the owner, is a real nice guy. I'm building a Lotus clone which is a partial kit.

Kona9
11-15-2006, 09:33 PM
http://www.extreme-sportscars.com/360/extreme_gallery2.htm

This would be a nice kit. If you didn't mind the differences!

M.alex
11-15-2006, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Arthur Dent
If you are serious http://halerconcepts.com/ is the offical agent for a couple different kits. Chris, the owner, is a real nice guy. I'm building a Lotus clone which is a partial kit.

Haler is a good place, but I've found their prices to be a bit high.

E.g., on FFR Cobras, you can generally get a better deal by ordering through Al @ western canada cobras - http://www.westerncanadacobras.com/

Akagi Redsuns
11-15-2006, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by ZedMan
Replicars, ie. make your fiero look like a ferrari, not so nice.

actual kit cars, ie cobras, caterham, ariel, ultima etc. are sweet :bigpimp:

I agree..... except the AC Cobra is considered a replica in my book, along with some of the replica Ford GT40s.

A kit car I would love to get my hands on would be a Noble M12 GTO or even the new M15. :drool:

Arthur Dent
11-15-2006, 09:47 PM
How is an AC Cobra a replica? Its an AC Ace that Shelby shoved a Ford V8 into.

M.alex
11-15-2006, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns

I agree..... except the AC Cobra is considered a replica in my book, along with some of the replica Ford GT40s.

Replica or not it's sex on wheels :D

http://members.shaw.ca/irondog/bullet3.jpg

:hitit:

BerserkerCatSplat
11-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns

A kit car I would love to get my hands on would be a Noble M12 GTO or even the new M15. :drool:

Replicas on the other hand I dislike, it's like having a fake Armani suit or LV Bag (a favorite topic for beyond). If you can't afford a Ferrari, why try drive around in a MR2/MRS/Fiero/NSX badged as a Ferrari with all the styling cues? I don't get it???

Are you nuts? The Cobra and GT40 replicars aren't rebadged anythings, they're just new manufactures/versions of the classic and outrageously expensive original cars. It's not like the Factory Five GT40 is based on a Taurus or something like that. They're newly manufactured recreations that lack only an engine and perhaps some options that can be installed by the buyer. As an alternative, they can be bought as a unassembled kit so the owner can have the satisfaction of having 100% control over the assembly of his ride - and it's cheaper to boot.

I think you need to do your homework on such things before spouting off like that.

Note: Nice edit, but I caught it before you did.

Brendan_4g63
11-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Hey Attacks are pretty cool.
but check with Riv.ca I dont think you can import unassembled kit cars from the US.
I might be wrong, but double check :)

Good luck

BerserkerCatSplat
11-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Brendan_4g63

but check with Riv.ca I dont think you can import unassembled kit cars from the US.
I might be wrong, but double check :)

You're wrong. Why give advice when you don't even know if it's accurate?

M.alex
11-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Are you nuts? The Cobra and GT40 replicars aren't rebadged anythings, they're just new manufactures/versions of the classic and outrageously expensive original cars. It's not like the Factory Five GT40 is based on a Taurus or something like that. They're newly manufactured recreations that lack only an engine and perhaps some options that can be installed by the buyer. As an alternative, they can be bought as a unassembled kit so the owner can have the satisfaction of having 100% control over the assembly of his ride - and it's cheaper to boot.

I think you need to do your homework on such things before spouting off like that.

they lack a whole lot more than an engine ;)

engine
tranny
differntial
spindles
brakes
axles
fuel lines/tanks
electrical

they give you a lot, but it's far from a near-complete thing:
http://factoryfive.com/table/company/canada/packlist.pdf

I've got ~16K for the kit from factory five, then another 45k in parts

Crymson
11-15-2006, 10:20 PM
My take on kit cars, is that if it's a car that's currently in production, or at least available, and you just can't afford it -- then you're a douche.

However, like that Attack, or a Chatterham/Miata or something that is considerabely unique, or so rare or old that there is no feasable way to actually get an original, than a kit car is great because it then becomes an homage to orginality, or history rather than a cheapskate with an old fiero.

Akagi Redsuns
11-15-2006, 10:22 PM

I edited it out for a reason, as the paragraph came out all wrong as it was inaccurate as all replicas are not just body panels and engine swaps on existing cars. Congrats on quoting me before my edit. I usually use "Preview Post" , but alas this is what I get for being lazy.

I hear they had some original AC Cobra frames and if it's OK'd by Carroll Shelby I can't argue with that. As for the other replicas, I don't know, I don't like replicas.....it's just me. You don't agree, no big deal.

I can certainly see the point of having a Cobra, Super 7, GT40, but since it's not the original car.....I don't know. Just doesn't sit right with me that's all.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-15-2006, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

they lack a whole lot more than an engine ;)

engine
tranny
differntial
spindles
brakes
axles
fuel lines/tanks
electrical

they give you a lot, but it's far from a near-complete thing:
http://factoryfive.com/table/company/canada/packlist.pdf

I've got ~16K for the kit from factory five, then another 45k in parts

Indeed, I should have said "drivetrain" instead of engine. I believe that there are some kits that include suspension components, much like the Caterham kits.

Either way, I'd kill for a FF Daytona Coupe replica.

http://www.factoryfive.com/table/ffrkits/coupe/375web.jpg

Mitsu3000gt
11-15-2006, 10:46 PM
I'm personally not a huge fan of kit cars unless they have some impressive HP numbers to match their looks. Its great to have a car that looks like an exotic, but why put a civic engine in it? I think the car should be able to perform according to its looks (if it looks like a supercar), or it should perform completely opposite to the way it looks (i.e. huge HP in a regular looking car, sleeper). Besides being something you built all by yourself, building a sweet looking car with every part on it except the engine being high performance, in my opinion that is not appealing at all. That 600hp cobra is fairly ridiculous, not a huge fan of the looks but that thing must be a blast to drive.

smontyLS1
11-15-2006, 10:54 PM
I dont like replicas but kit cars are sweet, I would love to go all out and just go twin-turbo ls1 on a good ac cobra frame, but I'd mix up the body abit so it doesn't look just like a cobra. Give it a fixed roof and full cage. 1000 rwhp and 2200 pounds... not practical, which is the whole point. factoryfive.com makes some great chassy's and they will throw on different engine mounts if you want.

hussein
11-15-2006, 10:54 PM
The Attack looks pretty cool.

+1 for not building a kit car of a ferrari, etc. Be original! :thumbsup:

M.alex
11-15-2006, 11:24 PM

Indeed, I should have said "drivetrain" instead of engine. I believe that there are some kits that include suspension components, much like the Caterham kits.

Either way, I'd kill for a FF Daytona Coupe replica.

Base price includes the standard 4link (good for dragging), you can go with 3link or IRS if you want to pay more $$$$, or go higher end for the Levy 5link.

snowboard
11-16-2006, 10:14 AM
the attack is nice!
o wait, its front wheel drive with a 2.2l engine :thumbsdow
If you could like ls6/rearwheel drive swap an accord (affrodably) then it would be a sick car haha...

forkdork
11-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Some highschool kids built a TDI attack - now that is a cool car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZeLTe2dXTM

Kona9
11-16-2006, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by forkdork
Some highschool kids built a TDI attack - now that is a cool car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZeLTe2dXTM

Kona9
11-16-2006, 10:56 AM
The attack is rear wheel drive. I've personally seen and know the x-owner of an H22 powered civic with 420 hp. On the dyno.
There is so much one can do with that car. Its all time effort and money money.
Even with the H22 I'd be happy. Its a cool looking car.

The student diesel car out of Pennsylvania (I believe) is all wheel drive. It has an electric motor up front and a diesel engine that runs off soy bean oil in the rear.
Just goes to show that anything is possible.

Cheers

snowboard
11-16-2006, 11:05 AM
its honestly not that expensive?

you can buy them for like 20-25g's american?

Kona9
11-16-2006, 07:19 PM
With 60 k as a budget to do EVERYTHING properly. You could have one really HOT Attack with money left over.

I phoned my insurance company today to start educating myself on what needs to be done.

I'm a little far from getting one at this very moment, but things can change pretty quick!!

Vagabond142
11-16-2006, 07:24 PM
As I know Al Beix from Western Canada Cobras myself (he was my supervisor at a previous job), I can tell you that he bends backwards to make sure you're happy with your kit. He is also a really cool guy overall, a true gearhead, and loves to sit and talk oily bits with anyone :D Definitely go with WCC if you want a FFR Cobra, no matter the cost. Too bad Al moved out of Calgary to BC :\

Kona9
11-16-2006, 07:44 PM
I understand it's not for everyone, but fuck, I really think this would be a fun project!!!!

http://www.k1-attack.cz/images/video/006.mpeg

Vagabond142
11-16-2006, 09:34 PM
heheh I would love to have an Attack... just a little outta my reach right now :(

M.alex
11-16-2006, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
As I know Al Beix from Western Canada Cobras myself (he was my supervisor at a previous job), I can tell you that he bends backwards to make sure you're happy with your kit. He is also a really cool guy overall, a true gearhead, and loves to sit and talk oily bits with anyone :D Definitely go with WCC if you want a FFR Cobra, no matter the cost. Too bad Al moved out of Calgary to BC :\

You mean he used to be here!@!@! ARRRRRRG!@@!@

Why'd he have to move; I like door-stop convenience shopping :(

But yea, he is a good guy - he answered all my questions and gave me a quite a few things to think about.

However, he is pretty stingy (hehe) - I'd help organize a group-buy a few months ago for the FFR kits and there were like 5 of us (I had to drop out at the last moment - dad had a heart attack, then shortly after that I bought my new house, so it wasn't the right time then to jump into the project) and the best he could do was give us $50 off our orders, lol!

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-16-2006, 11:14 PM
I want an attack... so sexy... but they only have an h22 in them? (or f22?) so it looks sexy, but still only has honda power/torque... for that price, i'd rather get the s2k... but still a goddamn nice looking car.

M.alex
11-16-2006, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
I want an attack... so sexy... but they only have an h22 in them? (or f22?) so it looks sexy, but still only has honda power/torque... for that price, i'd rather get the s2k... but still a goddamn nice looking car.

I'm sure a bit of creative-shoe-horning could fit this in :angel:

http://texashotrods.com/images/408%20longblock.jpg

ZedMan
11-17-2006, 12:46 AM
Why go to all that work and then shove a ford in there :nut:
GEN III/IV SBC FTW! :poosie:

BerserkerCatSplat
11-17-2006, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by ZedMan
Why go to all that work and then shove a ford in there :nut:

...because putting a SBC in a well-made kit car is like dumping ketchup on caviar! :devil:

Vagabond142
11-17-2006, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by M.alex

You mean he used to be here!@!@! ARRRRRRG!@@!@

Why'd he have to move; I like door-stop convenience shopping :(

But yea, he is a good guy - he answered all my questions and gave me a quite a few things to think about.

However, he is pretty stingy (hehe) - I'd help organize a group-buy a few months ago for the FFR kits and there were like 5 of us (I had to drop out at the last moment - dad had a heart attack, then shortly after that I bought my new house, so it wasn't the right time then to jump into the project) and the best he could do was give us $50 off our orders, lol!

Well, he is selling pretty close to the profit line. If he sold the kits for much less he'd be out of business o_O

M.alex
11-17-2006, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Vagabond142

Well, he is selling pretty close to the profit line. If he sold the kits for much less he'd be out of business o_O

True enough.

He must have a razor-thin profit line becase he doesn't charge for handling brokerage and arranging shipping or anything. I guess he only makes his money on some o fthe parts he sells, like the shocks, ball joints, etc.....?

Brendan_4g63
11-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Kit Cars LESS THAN FIFTEEN
YEARS OLD.
(assembled or unassembled)
None are admissible.

Ref: http://www.riv.ca/english/US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf
pg 4

You're wrong. Why give advice when you don't even know if it's accurate?

Kona9
11-17-2006, 06:24 PM
thats odd due to the fact that are a few insured K1 attacks in VAn as well as Toronto. ( I learned this by speaking with Haler Concepts today)

Not to worry, after spending many hours on attackforums.com I have learned it's a pretty rough go at getting one at this time anyways. Too many issues with the Manufacturer/owner himself.

Maybe I will get some investors together and make them locally. :dunno:
Someones got to do it.

Hey M.Alex...loan some funds and let's get it going!!:rofl:

M.alex
11-17-2006, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Brendan_4g63
Kit Cars LESS THAN FIFTEEN
YEARS OLD.
(assembled or unassembled)
None are admissible.

Ref: http://www.riv.ca/english/US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf
pg 4

It's a lot more complicated than that. Needles to say, it's *a lot* easier to have somebod who understands the red tape, such as Al Belix, handle the importing for you.

Btw, I like how Superperformance gets around importing their cars into canada - they sell it as kit car parts, then you pay their "3rd party assembler" (i.e., themselves) to assemble to for you, heh.