PDA

View Full Version : Experience at The Curry House

Kritafo
11-15-2006, 10:51 PM
anyone have any interesting experiences at the curry house?

We went there on Saturday with the kids, I didn't review it before we went, it was spur of the moment.

Interesting to say the least. haha!

Kritafo

GTS Jeff
11-15-2006, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
Uhh you could start with yours...:thumbsup:

EK 2.0
11-15-2006, 11:45 PM

Kritafo

Nismodrifter's house is a restaurant now??

Kritafo
11-16-2006, 08:04 AM
Well we sat down and the owner/waiter told us "we didn't know anything about curry." He proceeded to tell us the curry groups, which my husband and I already knew. Told me that "my Indian friends probably made all sorts of greasy foods." Insisted we have red wine with the meal. Told my kids that" even 4 year olds liked butter chicken. Proceeded to tell us that until he came along Canadians didn't know how to raise sheep and that he single handedly saved a local sheep farmer, that he sells 6 million pieces of Samosas a year." He interrupted our entire meal. We ordered a pop for one of the kids he didn't bring us the leftover pop he drank it. Got ice with his hands. The whole meal, was how wonderful and great he was. That he is so busy blah blah blah. It was 7 pm Saturday we were the only people in the restaurant which hadn't been changed since about 1972, which I don't really care about it the meal is good. I had the LAMB KALYO-RICH CURRY which I have to say was terrific. Told my husband" he would be a big pool of sweat from the CHICKEN VINDALOO."

So he asked if we had been to any other Indian restaurants in town we said yes and said...oh they all buy my Samosas and sell them to their customers but the rest of their greasy food I wouldn't serve to my mother or my dog.

I didn't know at the time if I thought it was a joke or he was the most offensive person I have ever met. He interrupted our entire meal. My kids wanted dessert and he said "he had a restaurant full of Japs," that ate everything he brought to them and ate all the desserts the night before. By the way those were his words if I missed some quotes sorry. Then I did a search on google on him. I think one of them summed it up the best way I could think of "the curry nazi"

Kritafo

Si_FlyGuy
11-16-2006, 08:48 AM
pop quiz: what are the curry groups? :nut:

Here're the reviews I found. Entertaining to say the least.

http://www.mytravelguide.com/restaurants/reviews-79320405-Curry_House_The_reviews.html
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-2799946-prod-travelguide-action-read-ratings_and_reviews-i;_ylt=Ap8LTAWo_kmJ61B6RZ79qwEPFmoL#7

I remember going there when I was really young, but I don't remember eating there for some reason. We must've walked out.
:rofl:

Kritafo
11-16-2006, 08:56 AM
Those are funny but true.

so where in Calgary for good East Indian. MY hubby likes Glory of India, but I have yet to go.

Kritafo

RobTheGob
11-16-2006, 09:19 AM
This sounds *exactly* like the experience we had there about 10 years ago...

Even after the terrible service, one of my friends attempted to make a joke (in broken English, my friend has a thick Vietnamese accent) and the "owner" got all defensive, even though it was very innocent.

We were sure it was a front for a money laundering setup...

It was almost like they didn't ever want us to come back.

kuks
11-16-2006, 09:37 AM
Those are funny but true.

so where in Calgary for good East Indian.

Thre is a little one off 64th Just behind the Canadian Tire store called Spice Hut. His food is awesome, the place is a little small but nice and clean.

Kuks

asuth077
11-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Mohti Mahal FTW

they have a location on 17th ave downtown and now one in the midnapore mall.

my favorite Indian place.

B17a
11-16-2006, 09:53 AM
I think the owner's name is John, at least he was the old man doing the same thing when we were there. Blah blah blah.

Si_FlyGuy
11-16-2006, 09:57 AM
John Jiwani according to his business card. That Curry Nazi blog was hilarious.

legendboy
11-16-2006, 10:16 AM
i went to this place with cocoabrova and fam a couple years ago

it was NASTY

the owner was telling us about how he won calgarys best somethingorrather in 1989 blah blah

he was trying to talk to us so much we couldn't even eat!! lol

$lick_rYz
11-16-2006, 10:18 AM
Namaskar on 16th ave is a very good indian restaurant, the food is great and the lunch buffet is only $11 (take-out or eat in) I work very close to it and I usually go there on sundays (they are close saturday me thinks)

rip
11-16-2006, 10:54 AM
That owner sounds like a real piece of work.

EK 2.0
11-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
John Jiwani according to his business card. That Curry Nazi blog was hilarious.

That guy STILL runs it??...holy shit...

hussein
11-16-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by $lick_rYz
Namaskar on 16th ave is a very good indian restaurant, the food is great and the lunch buffet is only $11 (take-out or eat in) I work very close to it and I usually go there on sundays (they are close saturday me thinks)

I don't know about the lunch buffet, but I went there for dinner, and for the price I thought it was a rip off. The food was ok, it wasn't bad, but it was definetly nothing spectacular, infact I would probably never go there again for dinner.

I went to Maurya in Kensington recently, and it was okay, the food was pretty good there, a bit expensive, but the service was probably the best I have had in an indian restaurant here, but all the servers there were white when I was there, however the host (an indian lady) was very nice also. Would go back.

topmade
11-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Yeah John is the guy. We're acrross the street from him and he buys take-out from us all the time, get's like $20 of food and asks for free stuff. I've only had take-out from his place once just to try it out and he didn't give anything free, no discount and charged GST when we never do that to him because he complains :rofl: :rofl:

Good guy none-the-less and food is alright. He's just old and like's to talk to people.

B17a
11-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Their vindaloo was the hottest I have ever had. Keep in mind I'm not a real hardcore spicy guy but I was sweating my bag off!!:drool:

blueToy
11-18-2006, 12:17 PM
My wife went to it a couple of months back , and she thought it was terrible . The owner was nuts , the food was mediocre at best with absolutely no ambiance at all . Funny , after she related her story to me my first thought too was " money laundering venue " , lol . Probably for his cash rich son or brother etc , lol . How else could it still be there ?? Here's my wife story :

She was there on a weeknight around 6:30 . No one else there ( she got a bad feeling right after walking in the door ) . The old guy she thought was charming at first , but then she said it became apparent he was " pathetically lonely or sad " , as he just kept rammbling like a looney. Anyway , half way thru dinner a fella walks in to pick up a take out order . It came out to $18 something and he wanted to use a credit card , or debt card ( I forget ) . Anyway , the owner tells the guy he can't use plastic for anything under $20 . The customer is like WTF ??? Then the owner goes on a rant about banks and credit card companies etc . while the guy is just like ????? Anyway , the customer is like now really pissed because he was never told over the phone about this "policy" and the wife said it was crazy this old guy arguing with a customer , IN FRONT OF ANOTHER CUSTOMER ( her ) and it ended up the customer grabbed the bag of food on the counter and threw it at the owner before leaving . Wife just sat there mortified . Totally ruined an already mediocre meal . Then , the old guy goes to her and starts ranting . She said she just got up and paid without saying a word and fled the place . It's also the only place I've ever heard her say anything negative about or never wants to go to again . It's funny cause we drive by it lots living in the NW , and she laughs about it every time .

Soooo , how does he stay in business ? There is more then meets the eye with this place for sure . It also explains his attitude in a industry thats' so cutthroat .

dino_martini
11-18-2006, 10:31 PM
Glory Of India FTW

nismodrifter
11-18-2006, 11:25 PM
oyeee EK2.0, it seem like ju are knowing that the good indian food is at my home but ju are not knowing that it is not for sale......never ever will my mother commercialize her food making because ju never knowz what kind of spies out there trying to stealing recipes.

Moti Mahal = good food, good service, two thumbs up.
I also eat at Kohinoor in NE Calgary whenever I am in the area.

Damn I cannot wait to come home...been 3 months since I've eaten proper desi food...after I get off the plane I'm going straight to 52nd/Mcknight to eat out yo. :drool: :D

Shaad
11-18-2006, 11:51 PM
heh, I think I have to go there just to see this.

turbotrip
11-19-2006, 01:06 AM
^:werd: im gonna go with a few friends and mess around just to cause a big scene and see this guy flip out. Bringing extremely confrontational friends will only make the situation funnier lol.

Kritafo
11-19-2006, 01:28 AM
but you have to take your camera phone...cause it will get ugly! haha!

Funny hubby and I were just talking about this, only we have 2 kids and wouldn't confront him ourselves! haha!

Kritafo

statick
11-19-2006, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip
^:werd: im gonna go with a few friends and mess around just to cause a big scene and see this guy flip out. Bringing extremely confrontational friends will only make the situation funnier lol.

Nice! You know who to bring;)

Si_FlyGuy
11-19-2006, 11:33 AM

Don't forget to mention to him that you're all punjabi.:rofl:

EK 2.0
11-19-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
after I get off the plane I'm going straight to 52nd/Mcknight to eat out yo. :drool: :D

Yeah man those apna desi hookers that sell their phoodies behind Fruticana are the bomb...;)

nismodrifter
11-19-2006, 12:40 PM
^ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ohhh jes jesss for sure yaar....me and my homies always are picking them up in our Firebirds and Mustangs after our meeting at Bombay Sweethouse and then we are do the cruising around the Coral Springs to be acting the cool.

EK 2.0
11-19-2006, 12:44 PM
maybe I am thinking because I am now having my mummy-jhi's accord i can join you in the roundings of Coral Springs yaar??...vhat you are thinking of dhat??

dino_martini
11-19-2006, 02:13 PM

Tell us a time and date and maybe a bunch of beyonders will show up.. :rofl:

Si_FlyGuy
11-19-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini

Tell us a time and date and maybe a bunch of beyonders will show up.. :rofl:

Count me in too.

The guy would probably think that something's up, when he notices that his restaurant is fully booked for the first time ever. :rofl:

benyl
01-08-2007, 05:46 PM
We went in there... never going back.

Ask for double spicy Vindaloo. He said it was spicy enough and refused to do it.

My 6 year old nephew said it was tangy...

Food was bland and expensive.

I honestly don't know how he stays in business.

Oh, and I got a whole lecture on Indian food.

The best part was that he offered indian beer for lunch... On a Sunday no less.

By they way, It is an Indian restaurant, no coffee is served.

The next best part was that he check came and it said: "Gondola Pizza" I guess he was too cheap to get new checks made up...

max_boost
01-08-2007, 05:51 PM
After all those negative reviews, you still went!?!

benyl
01-08-2007, 05:58 PM
haha, I never read this.

We were driving home down center street and my mom goes: "Let's try this place."

hampstor
01-10-2007, 11:50 PM
he stays in business because people read the reviews and think 'holy crap i have to see this myself to believe it' :rofl:

thanks for the reviews, i will definately avoid this place now.

slammed_cb7
01-11-2007, 12:02 AM
You gotta get down to Tandoori Hut in kensington for $9 lunch buffet. I love that place even tho it gives me terrible fire ass for an awful long time after its all gone.

foos_guy
01-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by slammed_cb7
You gotta get down to Tandoori Hut in kensington for $9 lunch buffet. I love that place even tho it gives me terrible fire ass for an awful long time after its all gone.

Does Tandoori Hut offer the lunch buffet on weekends?