PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a part from the US and got dinged UPS brokerage fees?

Forkster
11-16-2006, 12:36 AM
Not sure if this goes here, but it's important enough for all to see IMHO.

http://www.poynerbaxter.com/UPS/registration%20form.htm

Sign up to get your money back from UPS. The lawyer is collecting names. Forward the link to friends.

FiveFreshFish
11-16-2006, 12:39 AM
I think it's only valid if you received stuff in BC.

Have you paid UPS brokerage fees on goods you purchased in the US and received in British Columbia?

M.alex
11-16-2006, 12:42 AM
more details - http://www.cbc.ca/cp/Oddities/061024/K102418U.html

punky
11-16-2006, 12:47 AM
i bought 80bucks brake pads off tirerack.com and i paid 42bucks brokage.
When i called, they explained. it was like Tax on Tax on Tax...
Crazy, but really nothing we can do at the moment.
DONT SHIP UPS! REQUEST ANY OTHER COURIER!

drox
11-16-2006, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by punky
i bought 80bucks brake pads off tirerack.com and i paid 42bucks brokage.
When i called, they explained. it was like Tax on Tax on Tax...
Crazy, but really nothing we can do at the moment.
DONT SHIP UPS! REQUEST ANY OTHER COURIER! I wont accept shitments from UPS anymore. I specify when I purchase things it has to be done with another company. If they send it UPS anyways I just send it back.

Kaos
11-16-2006, 03:09 AM
I thought for the typical internet shopper that they knew they had to pay brokerage and duty fee's.
This is why internet shopping isnt always the best way to get a "cheaper" price on a product.

Mitsu3000gt
11-16-2006, 10:58 AM
UPS is the worst possible courrier IMO. Their online quote, even with exact dimensions and weight, gives you a number far less than when you go to the store to actually ship it.

Use Canada Post and USPS as much as you can, they chage flat rates for duty (if applicable, i.e. manufactuered outside north america). Also, if you are OK with it, you can get the shipper to mark something as "sample parts" and you won't pay fees.

M.alex
11-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
I think it's only valid if you received stuff in BC.

You're right, atleast for the moment - i contacted them and it is for BC only :(

rc2002
11-16-2006, 01:46 PM
Is this your first time getting something shipped using UPS? There have been countless threads about this. There are lots of ways to avoid brokerage and customs fees - you just gotta be smart about it.

lowryder99
11-16-2006, 03:06 PM
I can't wait till there is one for Alberta, those bastards owe me a lot of money hahah

M.alex
11-16-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by lowryder99
I can't wait till there is one for Alberta, those bastards owe me a lot of money hahah

Did you save all your receipts from them?

I didn't (most of them anyways) :(

95EagleAWD
11-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

Did you save all your receipts from them?

I didn't (most of them anyways) :(

Yeah, but any shipping company keeps their receipts, and if it's a class-action lawsuit, then their records will be looked at.

msommers
11-16-2006, 07:29 PM
Do not use UPS! I hate those bastards! Use USPS or fedex if you have a choice.

M.alex
11-16-2006, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Yeah, but any shipping company keeps their receipts, and if it's a class-action lawsuit, then their records will be looked at.

Good point there; I do have most of the tracking #s in my email still.

Still, i wouldn't be suprised if their database and backups had a few......'accidents'.....should this go south on them :D

eur0
11-17-2006, 12:38 AM
I bought a plastic faceplate and bits for my phone for $40 and ended up paying $120, cause of "brokerage"...This was a few years ago but I was pissed.

drox
11-18-2006, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by eur0
I bought a plastic faceplate and bits for my phone for $40 and ended up paying $120, cause of "brokerage"...This was a few years ago but I was pissed. I got a free, yes, FREE ecu for my FC from someone on rx7club. He mailed it to me from florida and UPS showed up at my door asking $120 duty :guns: :drama: