PDA

View Full Version : I Hit A Deer!

marko polo
11-16-2006, 01:03 AM
so i hit a deer tonight on lower springbank road ,:banghead: . i am so choked right now, my new baby looked all messed up it made me so sad inside.

I was just wondering if anyone has any information about what happens with insurance and stuff after a situation like this.

thnx

rusich
11-16-2006, 01:04 AM
Sorry to hear that. How bad was the accident?

marko polo
11-16-2006, 01:07 AM
sorry bout that i hit the post button by accident before i was done:confused: im still a little shaken up

Kobe
11-16-2006, 01:09 AM
Did you call the cops about the accident?

Speed_69
11-16-2006, 01:10 AM
When you hit a deer..your vehicle is covered under your comprehensive coverage, not your collision coverage so there may be a chance your premiums arn't going up :thumbsup: Sorry to hear what happened to your new baby.

marko polo
11-16-2006, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by rusich
Sorry to hear that. How bad was the accident?

well its not a write off but it kills me looking at it. the hood fucking smashed into my windsheild both front qaurter panels are bent (the left one more than the right). front end is pushed in causing radiator to leak with some other damage to battery and things under the hood , and a small dent on roof above windsheild.

oh ya and one completely written off ego :cry:

marko polo
11-16-2006, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Kobe
Did you call the cops about the accident?

ya, but didnt show up till like an hour later (something about power lines and trees falling over in bragg creek so they could make it out that quickly) but were very helpful and concerned.

marko polo
11-16-2006, 01:19 AM
i would like to thank all the nice people in calgary that stopped to see if i was okay and helped me out.

Dayclone
11-16-2006, 01:21 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss man... I've come sooo close before to hitting a 2 deers... just gotta get sum Xenon or HID's in there!

I drive a lot at night so I need them their really really helpful.

Steve

marko polo
11-16-2006, 01:27 AM
i would have prolly been able to see it but i had my lows on as there was a van coming in my opposing direction causing also light glare. I pretty much didnt see it till I hit it, and after that i couldnt see anything, im lucky i dint swerve into the other lane as it was on slight bend, i tried my best to stop and steer with a hood over my smashed windshield.

01RedDX
11-16-2006, 01:33 AM

?????
11-16-2006, 01:46 AM
Did you get the deers insurance information?

toomuchb00st
11-16-2006, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by ?????

Thats proably one of the stupidest things i've heard in a while but it was funny lol.

adidas
11-16-2006, 02:47 AM
Didnt u get the car not 2 long ago?!

Hopefully ur okay! A car can always be replaced!

Best of luck to you and let us know how it goes!

Zephyr
11-16-2006, 03:39 AM

So dumb but made me laugh lol.

anyway..

Sucks what happened to you, at least you're ok..sounds like the deer got it's final vengence on your poor car :( HIDs saved me so many times from hitting coyotes and a bear.

Lo)2enz0
11-16-2006, 04:06 AM
what about the deer? i take it you killed it on impact.

aww poor deer

Teggy
11-16-2006, 09:53 AM
:D
thats sucks bro

teggypimp95
11-16-2006, 10:02 AM
Aww that sucks! sorry to hear! lucky for you i have a gti for sale :D

Rav4Guy
11-16-2006, 10:06 AM
actually... I almost hit a deer in signal hill... scared the heck out of me as it was pretty dark outside.

ICEBERG
11-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Sorry to hear that man,

Just last year, driving on deerfoot there was a lady in front of me who hit a deer soo bad that the deer went through her windshield injuring her really bad. I didn't know if it was her blood all over her or the deers. Called 911 right away, within minutes everyone showed up. It was a pretty messed up sight. Good thing your OK.

marko polo
11-16-2006, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Tell me you kept the carcass, mmm venison sausage mmmm.

i didnt feell like picking the parts off the road as the deer was ripped in half, i must have hit it right in the hip ripping the back end off the poor guy. i did however keep one of the antlers that was stuck in my car.

marko polo
11-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by adidas
Didnt u get the car not 2 long ago?!

Hopefully ur okay! A car can always be replaced!

Best of luck to you and let us know how it goes!

ya i just got it like two months ago. i think it is cursed or something because alot of things keep jumping out in front of me making me slam on my brakes when im driving it, like ive almost ran over 3-4 deers and not to mention the crazy motorcycler that flipped his bike in front of me in the short time ive had it.

marko polo
11-16-2006, 11:07 AM
anybody hear anything about hallmark autobody? thats where my car is gonna be sent to, the insurance guy said this is one of the better places in town. oh and i get a rental car too, yay i dont have to walk.

403Gemini
11-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Lol reason why deer hits can be deemed comp instead of coll is because alberta hits so many of them ;) so you just joined a statistic, congrats.

2 things can happen

You can claim it under your comp coverage which the deductible is PROBABLY 250 which is really nice.

However take into consideration the price of a new windshield. if you have a 13D on your policy then comp deductible will NOT cover your windshield (so you'll have to pay for that ontop of the 250 deductible). Thus if the price of a new windshield costs more than another $250 you might as well claim it under collision, which PROBABLY is $500. Its cheaper to pay the $500 collision deductible over a $250 deductible and a windshield that can cost $300 before tax ;)

Just a word of advice ;)

(and even if its marked under collision there is a chance your premiums wont raise, infact it doesnt matter if its collision or comp really, the adjuster should mark you under at 0% at fault, however discuss ALL rates and chances of impact w/ your broker as they have the final word.)

Originally posted by marko polo
anybody hear anything about hallmark autobody? thats where my car is gonna be sent to, the insurance guy said this is one of the better places in town. oh and i get a rental car too, yay i dont have to walk.

They are a great shop and usually get work done really quick, though im not sure if they're backed up right now cause every shop seems to be lol

dennisaur
11-16-2006, 11:15 AM
i've hit a deer in the past too, and ya i hear ya man... it definitely sucks

it could have been a lot worse though so glad to hear you're fine

bulaian
11-16-2006, 11:35 AM
yeah, I hit one before driving in BC. It jumped out from the ditch and just before it landed, hit the front of my car on the driver's side, then went up over my roof. After that i couldn't see it, then it suddenly hit the road and slid into the ditch on the other side. Went back and checked on it but it seemed to have died on impact, I guess it's good he didn't lay there and suffer

marko polo
11-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
Lol reason why deer hits can be deemed comp instead of coll is because alberta hits so many of them ;) so you just joined a statistic, congrats.

2 things can happen

You can claim it under your comp coverage which the deductible is PROBABLY 250 which is really nice.

However take into consideration the price of a new windshield. if you have a 13D on your policy then comp deductible will NOT cover your windshield (so you'll have to pay for that ontop of the 250 deductible). Thus if the price of a new windshield costs more than another $250 you might as well claim it under collision, which PROBABLY is $500. Its cheaper to pay the $500 collision deductible over a $250 deductible and a windshield that can cost $300 before tax ;)

Just a word of advice ;)

(and even if its marked under collision there is a chance your premiums wont raise, infact it doesnt matter if its collision or comp really, the adjuster should mark you under at 0% at fault, however discuss ALL rates and chances of impact w/ your broker as they have the final word.)

They are a great shop and usually get work done really quick, though im not sure if they're backed up right now cause every shop seems to be lol

ya the broker gave me the option of putting it under collision but im not taking any chances, ill pay for the windsheild to be sure my insurance wont go up as i am already paying with an arm and a leg to drive a gti only being 19.

its good te hear that halmark does good work, have u had any work done there before? and ya ins broker said alot of the places in calgary are all pretty busy, i just hope they finish the car before my rental money from insurance runs out.

oh ya ING insurance FTW,

carter_prelude
11-16-2006, 11:41 AM
your LUCKY you hit the deer man, if you swerved to miss it and hit a post or something...insurance wouldn't be there for ya :thumbsup: thats how it is with my company. I just gotta hit the damn thing and not try miss it.

marko polo
11-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by carter_prelude
your LUCKY you hit the deer man, if you swerved to miss it and hit a post or something...insurance wouldn't be there for ya :thumbsup: thats how it is with my company. I just gotta hit the damn thing and not try miss it.

ya it would have sucked hitting the ditch there, funny thing is my dad got into a big accident with a semi where he swerved into the ditch in the exact spot where i hit the deer, well i guess its not that funny as it was my b-day and he almost died but ya i guess just an unlucky coincidence.

403Gemini
11-16-2006, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by carter_prelude

yes, insurance would be there for you. Insurance is there for roll overs, loosing control, slidding in the ditch. Insurance is there for you if you fall asleep at the wheel and went into a ditch.

Those are all claimed under collision

the_new_santa1
11-16-2006, 12:38 PM
^ No such thing as coincidences IMO....

Soren1989
11-16-2006, 12:53 PM
pics?

topmade
11-16-2006, 12:53 PM
Good thing your OK, but RIP for the poor deer :cry: My sister hit a deer a while back and the car was a write-off, but then again it was only worth a few g's. Now when your car is fixed you'll be driving around with a deer ghost in your car :rofl:

sputnik
11-16-2006, 12:58 PM
It is good that you survived the accident.

I read a stat a while back and many people who have a deer come through the windshield die not from the impact but from getting kicked to death by the deer trying to escape the car.

403Gemini
11-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
It is good that you survived the accident.

I read a stat a while back and many people who have a deer come through the windshield die not from the impact but from getting kicked to death by the deer trying to escape the car.

yup thats true.

my dad got in a car accident a few years back and the deer slid up on the hood and kicked like mad and he got bruised up pretty bad, same with the guy he was with.

basically cover your face and pray is all you can really do

marko polo
11-16-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by the_new_santa1
^ No such thing as coincidences IMO....

i wonder how many close calls there have been at that spot

marko polo
11-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Soren1989
pics?

for some reason i just didnt want to take pics, it was to hard to bare what had happened to the car. I asked a couple of my friends to take pics, ill ask them after work to see if they took them.

TopGunn
11-16-2006, 01:34 PM

Hit and Run, got his license number though.

Sorry to hear, it happened to me when I was driving my buddies van, wrecked his passenger side front end. Sucks ass!

jasonrx-7
11-16-2006, 01:36 PM
LOU'S AUTOBODY,
I am with one of the highest and most pricey ins company, the reason being is my Step mom works for them.

Any way, Lou's is there only recommended body shop. They are quick and do an amazing job.

Lou's FTW imo

marko polo
11-16-2006, 01:40 PM
i already got it going to hallmark, ive heard they are alright

Lo)2enz0
11-16-2006, 01:42 PM
ok, what bothers me is there are deer all the time out by my parents, same with those damn porkypines. and i have never hit an animal. when you leave the city and your on back roads, esspecially out in spring bank, don't drive as fast as you can. there are animals out there and its hard to see them at night.

i honestly think its sad that you hit the deer, and how some of you also have. and the fact that i haven't. its really not hard to slow down and be careful, or turn on your high beams.

marko polo
11-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
ok, what bothers me is there are deer all the time out by my parents, same with those damn porkypines. and i have never hit an animal. when you leave the city and your on back roads, esspecially out in spring bank, don't drive as fast as you can. there are animals out there and its hard to see them at night.

i honestly think its sad that you hit the deer, and how some of you also have. and the fact that i haven't. its really not hard to slow down and be careful, or turn on your high beams.

this wont make u feel good but the owner of the house i had my incident in front of said that theres deer getting hit about once a week on that stetch of road, he even said he sometimes has to go out and put them out of their misery.

dont get me wrong i think its sad that a living thing has died but alota key factors caused this to happen as ive lived in springbank my entire life and know there is alot of wildlife. im pretty sure if i was on a straight road with a big shoulder and no deep ditches i could have avoided this tragedy but in my situation if i tried avoiding it i would have either killed myself and an inoccent person in the oncoming lane or hit the ditch and take my chances with god. plz dont think everyone that hits a deer is careless and stupid

nadroj23
11-16-2006, 02:10 PM
^^^ yea its not always the car that hits the deer. i will find the thread later but on clubrsx.com there is a thread where an rsx has side dmg from a deer hitting him......its kinda weird i know but its also happened to a friend here in calgary he had dmg to his right side quarter panel and his door.

Lo)2enz0
11-16-2006, 03:01 PM
ya there are times when deer will jump out in front of your car, but thats why you keep your eyes on the ditch's. they are sneaky and i know the roads out there are bendy, last weekend i was out there in the fog and it was a mess, i was driving 40 the whole time just because i wanted to avoid something like this.

but i also hate seeing animals dead or hurt on the side of the road. and thats sad the guy has to put them out of there misery

marko polo
11-16-2006, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by teggypimp95
Aww that sucks! sorry to hear! lucky for you i have a gti for sale :D

if its a write off im looking at getting a car in the $16000 area as that is what my i bought my last gti for and thats what its calue is on my policy, so if youre selling youres for around this price tell me more about youre gti and we will talk

FishPoo
11-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Lo)2enz0
ya there are times when deer will jump out in front of your car, but thats why you keep your eyes on the ditch's. they are sneaky and i know the roads out there are bendy

Yea, I hit a deer just by the University of Calgary, a few years back before the Children's Hospital being developed. And it just jumped out, in fact, it didn't even hit my bumper, it jumped onto my hood, dented it, and slide off to the other side of the road.

4WARNED
11-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Add me to the list of deer strikes from yesterday as well...
Going 60 down a road with an 80 kph limit....deer jumped out and tagged my driver's side door on my Durango....up near Nordegg...

I know exactly what you're going through.....all booked in to get repaired through $250 comprehensive insurance...

Best advice is to hit the animal ( i know it sounds cruel) but even if you have enough time to react and decide to swerve, you most likely will end up rolling your vehicle.....

marko polo
11-17-2006, 10:26 PM
well it looks like the car is a write off :( im so sad i didnt even really get to know the car that well (only had it for a few months) but now i guess its time to move on to something better so if anyone has anything interesting for sale in the 20k range give me a pm :thumbsup:

marko polo
11-17-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by 4WARNED
Add me to the list of deer strikes from yesterday as well...
Going 60 down a road with an 80 kph limit....deer jumped out and tagged my driver's side door on my Durango....up near Nordegg...

I know exactly what you're going through.....all booked in to get repaired through $250 comprehensive insurance...

Best advice is to hit the animal ( i know it sounds cruel) but even if you have enough time to react and decide to swerve, you most likely will end up rolling your vehicle.....

ya youre advice is completely right, cause if u avoid the animal and wreck youre car then it is youre fault and then youre insurance will be fucked. not to mention most the time its safer to just hit the animal instead of hitting the ditch or another car. just make sure the animal doesnt suffer much,

ryder_23
11-17-2006, 10:31 PM
This happen just west of 17th ave? saw blood and skidmarks just past there

marko polo
11-17-2006, 10:33 PM
ya that was me