PDA

View Full Version : Where not to eat in Calgary. A CHR List

Kritafo
11-16-2006, 08:59 AM
http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/hecomm/envhealth/Executive_Officer_Orders/executive_officer_food_1.htm#Top

I just recieved this from a friend. Interesting read

Kritafo

Si_FlyGuy
11-16-2006, 09:12 AM
Odd to see Earl's on there. They usually follow a strict code.

If you go a page up, they also list former grow-op houses.
Great service!

nos_efx
11-16-2006, 10:28 AM
Jeez they really have to shut some of these guys down permanently.

Disgusting, it can't be that difficult to cleanup after you are done cooking.

GQBalla
11-16-2006, 10:58 AM
sickkkkkk

lol ill keep this in mind.

AsianCaucasian
11-16-2006, 02:45 PM
Meh, coming from a ghetto third world country, I've come to realize that the dirtier the place, the better the taste. :D

nos_efx
11-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Sad but so true lol :rofl:

01RedDX
11-16-2006, 05:09 PM

Fosgate R
11-16-2006, 05:43 PM
Eeeww... I ate at that yardhouse a lot back in the day... :barf:

Black Gts
11-17-2006, 04:59 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I eat out alot and I mean alot, and none of my spots are on that list... errrr maybe that means the spots have not yet been checked...

Question would you guys/gals rather know or not???
Personally unless it will kill/infect me I would rather not...

driz6
11-23-2006, 10:20 PM
I feel completely terrible for the poor people who are running these places! I go to shawarma King in Kensington 2 times a week and never had a problem!

Given, we should have a strict food preparation code these issues should be handled between the Calgary health Region and the people who are running these restaurants not posted on the internet to throw the poor buisness owners under the bus.

If I was an owner of these restaurants I would lobby to have these articles removed from the Internet!!!!!

BlackArcher101
11-23-2006, 10:50 PM
Yikes, read this one!!!!

Dead animals and human body!

http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/hecomm/envhealth/Executive_Officer_Orders/Orders_Housing/Active/NW_6_26_3_W5M_Rockyview_Closure_Aug_31_2006_A.pdf

GTS Jeff
11-24-2006, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by driz6
I feel completely terrible for the poor people who are running these places! I go to shawarma King in Kensington 2 times a week and never had a problem!

Given, we should have a strict food preparation code these issues should be handled between the Calgary health Region and the people who are running these restaurants not posted on the internet to throw the poor buisness owners under the bus.

If I was an owner of these restaurants I would lobby to have these articles removed from the Internet!!!!! haha man, you're an idiot.

You would rather blame CHR for alerting the public to poor health standards rather than the offending businesses for not being clean in the first place?

Slashin_
11-24-2006, 02:33 AM
singapore sams...that place is packed on dimsum days:thumbsup:

googe
11-24-2006, 07:39 AM

If I was an owner of these restaurants I would lobby to have these articles removed from the Internet!!!!!

Word to you being an idiot. If someone is feeding me mouse shit, youre damn right that I have a right to know about it.

Tell your friends at shawarma king to have some respect for their customers and follow some basic cleanliness and safety rules :thumbsup:

The Cosworth
11-24-2006, 07:57 AM
some of those are distgusting, I live behind the earls and go their quite reguarily.

Not anymore mind you

CRX-R
11-24-2006, 08:01 AM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: to you being an idiot. I'd much rather know who doesn't give a shit if I get sick or not eating in their establishment. The public should be made more aware of violations, not less aware. They should be handled in the dining rooms of the restaurants in loud voices or out front with a loudspeaker!
How many times do you think Singapore Sam's has been on this list? Just curious, but it was a dump 10 years ago when I used to live up there, I'm sure it hasn't changed much.

:guns:

dennisaur
11-24-2006, 09:51 AM
heh i eat at sun chiu kee quite a bit and i don't have any problems with the place. but yeah like someone else said on this thread, coming from a third world country i thin ki may have developed an immunity to unsafe food handling haha

Eleanor
11-24-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
Yikes, read this one!!!!

http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/hecomm/envhealth/Executive_Officer_Orders/Orders_Housing/Active/NW_6_26_3_W5M_Rockyview_Closure_Aug_31_2006_A.pdf

Where did you find that one? That's disgusting.

WWJAI
11-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by CRX-R

How many times do you think Singapore Sam's has been on this list? Just curious, but it was a dump 10 years ago when I used to live up there, I'm sure it hasn't changed much.

:guns:

I use to work there a few years ago and seriously, I don't know how they made the list. They always cleaned the place but i'll have to admit there was buildup in some areas along of grease, etc but nothing major. There is nothing wrong with their food that I see and to this day, I still would go there and eat dim sum anyday because I know their food isn't left on the floor, etc but ever since they changed owners in the last year, I don't think their dim sum is as good anymore but still very yummy.:drool:

craigcd
11-24-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
Odd to see Earl's on there. They usually follow a strict code.

I worked there when I was in highschool. It was always kept really clean and well maintained but the building it self was a disaster. They need to tear it down and rebuild i cant believe it is still standing.

It all depends on the staff at the present time i guess, with Calgary's labour shortage i can bet they are hiring whatever they can get.

Kritafo
12-11-2006, 03:53 PM
there some new updates on the chr site.

QuasarCav
12-11-2006, 04:21 PM
I've eaten in at least 3 of those places in the last couple of months.

:barf:

Whitetiger
12-11-2006, 05:52 PM
How the hack does a "Subway" make the list? Isn't it stardarized anyways?

Do they get their names taken off once they corrected the violation?

GTS Jeff
12-11-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Whitetiger

Do they get their names taken off once they corrected the violation? Mainlanders...

Whitetiger
12-11-2006, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Mainlanders... :confused:

RiCE-DaDDy
12-12-2006, 02:39 AM
omg i use to go to Home Town Kitchen for lunch at a old summer job.

2.99 Steak sandwiches no wonder.....

Lo)2enz0
12-12-2006, 06:05 AM
lol sometimes i wonder about alot of the food that i eat

B17a
12-12-2006, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Whitetiger

Do they get their names taken off once they corrected the violation?

Just because they're standardized does not mean the 17 year old dumbass working the counter follows basic hygene.

Supa Dexta
12-12-2006, 10:55 AM
earls 16th is by far the dirtiest.. Its the oldest correct? the original earls?
I see yardhouse kensington is on there too.. they'll be hurting.. a shooting at the 17th location, and that at the other.. they have a TINY kitchen in kensington.. the front is nice and new since they just moved in last yr.. but outback is pretty small, and wouldnt take much to get messy..

phreezee
12-12-2006, 02:33 PM

The 1st and only time I went to Shawarma King, the lady ordering in front of us pointed out mold on some food in the display case.
My co-worker also got food poisoning the 1st and only time he went there.

Supa Dexta
12-12-2006, 02:36 PM
their new location, the gf picked me up a donair, and said the woman was working with money and no gloves, then making the food. she didn't tell me till after i ate the thing though..

:barf:

l8braker
12-12-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
omg i use to go to Home Town Kitchen for lunch at a old summer job.

2.99 Steak sandwiches no wonder.....

I felt sick everytime i drove past that place down in Ogden.... Ugh :barf:

saiyajin
12-12-2006, 03:53 PM
how come it says that the establishment needs to be closed.. yet they still open?? :dunno:

\JCAR/
12-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by AsianCaucasian
Meh, coming from a ghetto third world country, I've come to realize that the dirtier the place, the better the taste. :D

a little floor spice makes everything nice :D

D. Dub
12-12-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
Yikes, read this one!!!!

Thats not a restaurant--its a home--likely a sad situation where someone died and the animals starved after the owners death.

GQBalla
12-12-2006, 07:21 PM
^^^ that one is still sick

INITIALD
12-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Mainlanders...

:rofl:

AsianCaucasian
12-14-2006, 01:21 AM
Mainlanders...

Hahaha the hate, the hate.

jamsandwich
12-18-2006, 12:35 AM
Well, I like the Shawarma King, but I think that about wraps it up for my tenure as a customer. I haven't eaten there in a while, but I'd started to think I could forgive the last health violations given that they'd been rectified. (a lot of these reports were listed in a Calgary Herald story a few months ago)

"Large amounts of mouse droppings found throughout premises" on the latest report seems to seal the deal.

Guess I'll have to find a new place for shawarmas...

Kritafo
01-31-2007, 06:15 PM
http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/hecomm/envhealth/Executive_Officer_Orders/executive_officer_food_07.htm

New list of places to avoid

jf97talon
01-31-2007, 06:18 PM
First link doesnt work anymore...

GQBalla
01-31-2007, 06:58 PM
OH NO SUN CHIU KEE!!!

Kritafo
01-31-2007, 08:12 PM
that is why there is a new second link

ApexDrift
02-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by WWJAI

I use to work there a few years ago and seriously, I don't know how they made the list. They always cleaned the place but i'll have to admit there was buildup in some areas along of grease, etc but nothing major. There is nothing wrong with their food that I see and to this day, I still would go there and eat dim sum anyday because I know their food isn't left on the floor, etc but ever since they changed owners in the last year, I don't think their dim sum is as good anymore but still very yummy.:drool:

Singapore Sam's is a joke, back in high school my friend worked there pushing the Dim Sum carts... he was in the kitchen putting food in the cart to take back out out when he dropped some BBQ bun on the floor, he was going to toss them out, but the boss stopped himm, cleaned off the buns and put them back on the cart... its not the only time i've heard of this happening there...

Kritafo
06-09-2007, 12:11 PM
http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/hecomm/envhealth/Executive_Officer_Orders/orders_2007.htm#Food

We went to eat at Happy Valley last night but they had their "closed for renovations" sign up...which almost always means...crha shut us down. Yep they are on the list.

We ended up at Calgary Court, had congee and baked pork chop in tomato...I love both from there.

max_boost
06-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Happy Valley FTMFW.
Where else are you going to get 2 BBQ meats on rice with soup and a drink for $7.95? :D haha

Kritafo
06-12-2007, 08:04 AM
I am not sure I will ever be able to eat at Happy Valley our favourite restaurant after reading the list of offences.

I love their BBQ'd meat...and the soy chicken with green onion and ginger sauce....

benyl
06-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo
I am not sure I will ever be able to eat at Happy Valley our favourite restaurant after reading the list of offences.

I love their BBQ'd meat...and the soy chicken with green onion and ginger sauce....

After Happy Valley, you went to Calgary Court? Dude, they have been shut down more times by the CHRA than I have fingers and toes. Plus, the basement is haunted... haha

Si_FlyGuy
06-12-2007, 09:21 AM
I've heard stories about an old lady in the basement. Scary enough to make me want to hold my pee whenever I go there.

Anyone have any haunting experiences?

KLCC
06-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Sakana Grill (crowfoot) was shut down as well.....but strange I dont see their name on the list???
http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/6619/0608203014bo2.th.jpg (http://img117.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0608203014bo2.jpg)

Ariakas
06-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Happy Valley FTMFW.
Where else are you going to get 2 BBQ meats on rice with soup and a drink for $7.95? :D haha

T&T supermarket, they have 2 bbq meats on rice and soup for $5.99, no drink though. I went to the NE location yesterday. Very tasty and good size :)

Ariakas
06-12-2007, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
I've heard stories about an old lady in the basement. Scary enough to make me want to hold my pee whenever I go there.

Anyone have any haunting experiences?

My wife claimed she heard the tap turned on when no one was in the washroom besides herself, she was freaked out. Now this was prior to me telling her it was supposedly haunted down there, guess I should of mentioned that.

As to that joint being shut down numerous times, I remember back in the days when we eat there and there was a cockroach crawling on our table...

Kritafo
06-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Yes I know Calgary Court has a reputation but that is before I watched the CRHA lists...Ignorance is bliss

I have heard the haunting stories as well. I have been to the creepy basement a hundred times...and it's all bright now...but 15 years ago..dark and creepy. Never seen anything though..My daughter who is now 13 use to drink so much tea we were in the bathroom a million times. Just the weird noises. Just never seen anything

anyhow...now I know the CRHA has a list I do watch...some violations are easier to justify than ....say cockroaches!

So...anyone think that because Happy Valley had a cockroach problem that the Jing Jing which is in the basement would be affect by it as well?

Ariakas
06-12-2007, 12:05 PM

So...anyone think that because Happy Valley had a cockroach problem that the Jing Jing which is in the basement would be affect by it as well?

You mean the bakery, I would think so. Once you got cockroach problem in that building, they will find every nook and cranny for food... hmm pineapple buns :drool:

Kritafo
06-12-2007, 01:26 PM
I am going to email CRHA on that one.

I love Jing Jing Bakery... I love their egg tarts ... and butter cake buns..and the ham and onion buns... Plus we always order our birthday cake from them. Since we have a family birthday coming up... I am going to email them...see what CRHA has to say.

Kritafo
06-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Sakana Grill is now on the list. I emailed CRHA about the whole building Happy Valley is in.

max_boost
06-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Well Happy Valley is back in business after $100K+ in renovations with majority of it in the kitchen so it's going to be clean now. I'll be going to visit Uncle Bun this weekend for some BBQ meats and HK style lemon iced tea. :drool:

asuth077
06-20-2007, 01:36 PM
http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/hecomm/envhealth/Executive_Officer_Orders/executive_officer_food_07.htm

New list of places to avoid

Link doesn't work for me?

Kritafo
06-20-2007, 02:25 PM
So Happy Valley is open again!! Yipppee!

We will be visiting Mr Yip for his expertise cutting skills of the BBQ duck...ohh BBQ pork...I can't decide

although I don't see that Happy Valley has been taken off the CRHA list

http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/hecomm/envhealth/Executive_Officer_Orders/orders_2007.htm#Food

gmoney82
06-21-2007, 03:33 PM
I guess most people think that have an iron stomache impervious to 'dirty' food until they get food poisoning from eating a hot dog handled by an employee after they wiped their nose...twice... to see what i'm talking about check the CHRA link to the superstore hotdog stand that was shut down...hahaha

Si_FlyGuy
06-21-2007, 04:04 PM
I'm glad that the city hates Sausage Parties as much as I do.

http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/hecomm/envhealth/Executive_Officer_Orders/Orders_Food/2007/Active/Sausage_Party_800_Macleod_Tr_SE_Caslgary_June_13_2007_A.pdf

:rofl:

GREENBOY
06-23-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by jamsandwich
Well, I like the Shawarma King, but I think that about wraps it up for my tenure as a customer. I haven't eaten there in a while, but I'd started to think I could forgive the last health violations given that they'd been rectified. (a lot of these reports were listed in a Calgary Herald story a few months ago)

"Large amounts of mouse droppings found throughout premises" on the latest report seems to seal the deal.

Guess I'll have to find a new place for shawarmas...

I was just in SK in kensington today for a shawarma and the guy was excellent in terms of cleanliness at the counter and the place was very clean and tidy. He was washing hands and drying on paper towels in between serving every person etc...I thought it was fine. It would take a lot for me not to go there again.