PDA

View Full Version : Sushi Bar Zipang

89coupe
11-16-2006, 11:58 AM
Anyone try this place? GF wants to take me out for my BDay dinner and I love sushi. Wanted to try somewhere new.

max_boost
11-16-2006, 12:02 PM
Make reservations. It's a hotspot and is really busy.

89coupe
11-16-2006, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Make reservations. It's a hotspot and is really busy.

Thats a given. Is it any good?

max_boost
11-16-2006, 12:07 PM
Now I've never tried it myself but my buddy who often dines out, absolutely loves the place. :thumbsup:

Zen 8 and Shikiji are also two very popular sushi joints :D

Si_FlyGuy
11-16-2006, 12:43 PM
Decor and ambiance are above average. Staff are friendly, place is clean.

Foodwise, their rolls are above average in taste and presented beautifully because they apply the roe after cutting the rolls, and they don't skimp on the roe.

Someone on here said that their specialty is whatever sashimi is fresh that day. Time between ordering and getting the rolls out is good.

Overall, food is way better than Globefish but a notch below Shikiji. Still a good place to try out.

msommers
11-16-2006, 12:44 PM
This is the one in bridgeland right? I've only gone there once, was awesome and really like it, the unagi was excellent! Same with the spicy salmon. Decent pricing, 3 hungry as hell people + tea I think it came to ~ 80 bucks with tax and tip.

89coupe
11-16-2006, 12:56 PM
Haha...I can eat $80 worth of sushi myself...LOL

Good to hear, look forward to trying them out.

Where is Shikiji's and what type of atmosphere is it?

Si_FlyGuy
11-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Shikiji is on the east side of Centre Street North, and around 15th Ave. Right beside a 24 hour internet hangout.

The only knock is that their bathrooms aren't as clean as they should be for such a nice place. Zipang's decor is a little classier.

89coupe
11-16-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
Shikiji is on the east side of Centre Street North, and around 15th Ave. Right beside a 24 hour internet hangout.

The only knock is that their bathrooms aren't as clean as they should be for such a nice place. Zipang's decor is a little classier.

Good to know. I don't care how good the food is, I can't stand a shitty atmosphere.

Zipang's it is.

sml
11-16-2006, 01:32 PM
Maybe I have different sushi taste, but I think Zipang is decent quality sushi but very overpriced... $50 of sushi for 2 people should make you happy full not wanting to spend another $50 to be full. Presentation is nice if you like to look at your food instead of eating it. Plus I didn't see a single Japanese person in that place (or remotely asian for that matter)!

89coupe
11-16-2006, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by sml
Maybe I have different sushi taste, but I think Zipang is decent quality sushi but very overpriced... $50 of sushi for 2 people should make you happy full not wanting to spend another $50 to be full. Presentation is nice if you like to look at your food instead of eating it. Plus I didn't see a single Japanese person in that place (or remotely asian for that matter)!

$50, are you serious? You are obviously not a real sushi lover.

Fatty Toro is $6 a piece. Cheap and sushi don't mix...LOL

Hanzo
11-16-2006, 01:57 PM
well if you're cheap, you should do all you can eat sushi, but that's like the lowest grade sushi haha.

Si_FlyGuy
11-16-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by sml

When I went there, all the staff were asian. Actually, I don't care who makes my sushi, as long as it is good.

You'll be happy at Misato though. My gf and I can't finish their $17 Calgary Special Roll (4 types of fish, avocado, real crab, and shrimp) in one sitting on most nights. Delicious and big (about 85% of a hockey puck diameter). Their service can suck depending who you get, and wait times are long. Takeout's a good bet there.

T&T supermarket sushi isn't bad either for the price.

Ice712
11-19-2006, 07:41 PM
You get what you pay for...but in my opinion if I had the choice b/t cheap sushi or no sushi I would chose none.

For the guy that said that Zipang is one notch lower than Shikiji he obviously doesn't know a thing about sushi. Shikiji's sushi is probably the worst stuff I've ever had in Calgary....and by sushi I mean nigiri sushi or sashimi...not rolls. But if you like "sushi" made by Chinese people better then go crazy.

Zipang is a great sushi joint and it's worth the money.

FiveFreshFish
11-19-2006, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Ice712
You get what you pay for...but in my opinion if I had the choice b/t cheap sushi or no sushi I would chose none.

For the guy that said that Zipang is one notch lower than Shikiji he obviously doesn't know a thing about sushi. Shikiji's sushi is probably the worst stuff I've ever had in Calgary....and by sushi I mean nigiri sushi or sashimi...not rolls. But if you like "sushi" made by Chinese people better then go crazy.

Zipang is a great sushi joint and it's worth the money.

:werd: I was there a few days ago and I will definitely go again. We sat by the window so I couldn't tell if the cooks were Japanese or Chinese. Total for two was $62 + tip.

89coupe
11-20-2006, 10:15 AM
You guys must have really small appetites or something or just order specials???

When I go for sushi I never order off the menu, I'm there for sushi and thats it. So I'm picking of the sushi list.

I was just at Zen8's on Friday for lunch and the bill was $110.00 for the GF and I.

max_boost
11-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Give Wa's a try.

It's on the corner of 17th AVE NW and Center Street. It's right beside Video & Sound. They recently made some minor renovations so the place is a bit nicer than before. I'm not a wine drinker but they seem to have an extensive list of them, really good food and everyone is Japanese!

rc2002
11-20-2006, 01:36 PM
^ That's really rare these days. Most Japanese restaurants have chinese workers/owners.

msommers
11-20-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
You guys must have really small appetites or something or just order specials???

When I go for sushi I never order off the menu, I'm there for sushi and thats it. So I'm picking of the sushi list.

I was just at Zen8's on Friday for lunch and the bill was $110.00 for the GF and I.

You must eat a lot dude + Zen8 is stupid expensive

meow
11-25-2006, 12:49 PM
Wa's IS really good, but it's quite pricey there. Zipang still gets my vote though :)

bignerd
11-30-2006, 10:21 AM
My GF and I have gone to Zipang 3 or 4 times now, and we highly recommend it to any one that loves sushi. The owner is Japanese and is very nice person to talk to, he was explaining how to properly cut the sushi and other stuff. It has always been a very good every time we have gone, the atmosphere is very nice :thumbsup: and the service is great (the first time we went the lady that took my order said that it might be awhile because it was very busy, myself I am used to waiting for sushi so I said OK that is not a problem. Not even 10 min. later we had everything that we ordered Very impressed:) )

89coupe
11-30-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by msommers

You must eat a lot dude + Zen8 is stupid expensive

Not really. But I prefer sushi over rolls, so it adds up quick and I have a sweet spot for Toro.

89coupe
11-30-2006, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by bignerd
My GF and I have gone to Zipang 3 or 4 times now, and we highly recommend it to any one that loves sushi. The owner is Japanese and is very nice person to talk to, he was explaining how to properly cut the sushi and other stuff. It has always been a very good every time we have gone, the atmosphere is very nice :thumbsup: and the service is great (the first time we went the lady that took my order said that it might be awhile because it was very busy, myself I am used to waiting for sushi so I said OK that is not a problem. Not even 10 min. later we had everything that we ordered Very impressed:) )

Thats great to hear, we are eating there next wed for my Bday:clap:

pinoyhero
12-05-2006, 05:46 PM
Wa's sushi was OK (authentic yes, but great, no) and the atmosphere was pretty poor. I'm a Zen 8 fan cause the sushi is great and the place is real nice, I'll give Zipang a shot soon though.

onibaku
11-12-2010, 02:34 AM
zipang makes excellent sushi.
id give them a 8.5/10 for taste and quality.
60 bucks for me and gf +1 bieru
quite frankly reminds me of vancouver style sushi. something that calgary is lacking.

sushi list ive tried in calgary:
globefish (ewww terrible fusion)
sushi king (best ayce)
shibuya (a few dishes are top notch there... rest... not so much)
sushi tokyo (should be closed down)
sakana (meh)
kinjo (chinese sushi... really?zomg lol)

msommers
11-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Sukiyaki House is good fusion sushi. I still have yet to try Sushi Club but I've heard good things as well.

I love Zipang, it's my favorite place to go in town. I took some friends there a couple weeks ago and a couple said they got sick. We all ate basically the same things, not sure what happened there. I've gone well over a dozen times without issue.

TYMSMNY
11-12-2010, 08:43 AM
Zipang is under new owners as of a little while ago. Good to hear the quality is still good though as I've enjoyed eating there every time.

msommers
11-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Didn't know they had new owners. All the same waitresses and chefs were still there.

Unknown303
11-12-2010, 09:15 AM
I live down the street from Zipang and have never once been disapointed by the quality. My favorite place in the city although that has to do with proximity to home as well. A close second for me would be the Sushi Club in Kensington.

89coupe
11-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Holy old thread...lol.

Zipang doesn't hold a candle to Sushi Club IMO. In fact no sushi restaurant in this city does.

Unknown303
11-12-2010, 10:16 AM
Holy old thread...lol.

Zipang doesn't hold a candle to Sushi Club IMO. In fact no sushi restaurant in this city does.

Yeah if only Sushi Club was in my community.

max_boost
11-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Holy old thread...lol.

if it's good enough for 89coupe, I'm gonna try sushiclub this weekend lol

A|pine
11-12-2010, 01:08 PM
pc

HiSpec
11-12-2010, 01:13 PM
IMO, I don't think any sushi place in Calgary can top Zipang and Wa's.

Guillermo
11-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Wa's is my go-to, but then again, i've never been to Sushi Club.

A|pine
11-12-2010, 02:15 PM
BTW the appetizers I had was Sunomono (pickeled octopus with these clear noodles) and fresh oysters, and some other fresh catch of the day. Was tempted to try the fresh flying fish sashimi but it was too much food for me + gf.

Solid sushi restaurant. The waitress told me the best time to come for the weekly specials is Wednesday - I believe because they get all their stock in on Tuesdays.

takkyu
11-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Sushi Club, hands down, #1 in Calgary

KRyn
11-13-2010, 12:21 PM

I hear you, when I go for sushi I always end up eating at least $60-80 worth of the food.

rage2
11-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Zipang's my favorite for traditional Japanese style sushi. I still go there quite often.

Unknown303
11-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Zipang meet tonight! :thumbsup:

bleu
11-13-2010, 06:13 PM
I was at Wa's today, it is always consistent and delicious! Although I have heard good things about Zipang from colleagues. I'm stubborn to try new places once I've found one I really enjoy. I suppose I miss out on a lot that way!

rage2
11-13-2010, 07:44 PM
I don't get the horniness over Sushi Club. I mean it's definately above average, but best in the city? You guys need to get out more haha.

The_Rural_Juror
11-13-2010, 10:12 PM
I have Sukiyaki House, Misato, the old school joint in Bowness, and Zipang over Sushi Club on my score card.

onibaku
11-14-2010, 01:35 AM
who the hell says shikiji is better?
went there last night.
terrible sushi

lol not even using japanese curry either.

shikiji is arguably on the same level as globefish or kinjo
which is not even that high.

t-im
11-14-2010, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I don't get the horniness over Sushi Club. I mean it's definately above average, but best in the city? You guys need to get out more haha.
Exactly. I think Sushi Club was good years ago (03/04), but after it seemed to become inconsistent in terms of quality. Sometimes it was good, but other times it was disappointing. At the prices they were charging I expected better. However, I haven't dined there since 07/08 so I could be totally off base here.

dingmah
11-14-2010, 04:14 AM
Zipang's my favorite for traditional Japanese style sushi. I still go there quite often.
:werd: Ever since Zipang was recommended in the big sushi thread, I can't stop going. There was a while where I would go 3/4 times a week. I love that place too much. And it's the only place in town that makes authentic tonkatsu :drool: :drool: :drool:

89coupe
11-15-2010, 10:52 AM

Name somewhere better?

msommers
11-15-2010, 10:56 AM
He said Zipang dude. A lot of us enjoy eating there but you it seems :dunno:

ercchry
05-03-2012, 03:54 PM
bump, anyone been lately? still good?

Sorath
05-03-2012, 04:01 PM
I love zipang, toro and unagi there is sooo good :drool:, it wasn't as good as it was the last time i was there though.

ercchry
05-03-2012, 04:04 PM
hrm.. if you had to pick... zipang or sukiyaki house?

rage2
05-03-2012, 04:08 PM
I go to both. Zipang for traditional, Sukiyaki for fusion.

taemo
05-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
I love zipang, toro and unagi there is sooo good :drool:, it wasn't as good as it was the last time i was there though.

wasn't please with toro at zipang, the slice was so thin.
anyone know of sushi resto in calgary that serves otoro?
sushi reiko at bankers hall used to have some really great toro, too bad they closed down :(

I called Zen 8 and occasionally they may start getting some at the end of May

ercchry
05-03-2012, 04:18 PM
I go to both. Zipang for traditional, Sukiyaki for fusion.

well this is for a particular dinner so that wont work :rofl:

i think i will do zipang if it still has your seal of approval. i like your sushi choices :thumbsup:

Super_Geo
05-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
hrm.. if you had to pick... zipang or sukiyaki house?

Zipang by a country mile.

I work a block away from Sukiyaki House and have had it quite a bit. Above average, but certainly not great.

msommers
05-03-2012, 08:51 PM
I find Sukiyaki House uses Tempura in way too many rolls. The food is fresh but I think the sushimi portions are smaller than at Zipang. I've heard good things about Wa's but still haven't made it over there yet.

Zipang is definitely traditional and I prefer it. Sukiyaki House and Sushi Club are more modern and sometimes just trying a little too hard. Again both fresh, so no complaints there.

JLau
05-03-2012, 08:59 PM
:thumbsup: for sushi club and zipang, my favorites

JLau
05-03-2012, 09:01 PM
BTW Sushi Hiro "used" to be good, havent been back in years though

Super_Geo
05-03-2012, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by JLau
BTW Sushi Hiro "used" to be good, havent been back in years though

Hiro still has the best spicy tuna roll in Calgary! Great saba there too.

JLau
05-03-2012, 09:16 PM
they used to have horse sushi too...

rage2
05-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Sushi Hiro is brutal now. Has been for the last few years. It's walking distance from my office, and I'd rather drive elsewhere.

Sukiyaki House Spicy Tuna and Mango rolls... mmmmmm.

Sushi Club and new Sukiyaki house are owned by ex-employees of old Sukiyaki House, I worked with everyone at both places back in the day at old Sukiyaki House.

Sushi Club is fairly close to old Sukiyaki House in terms of taste and style, except much fresher.

New Sukiyaki House is much more fusion style and much more experimental on their off menu specials.

So it all depends on what your personal preference for sushi style which one you like the best. Can't lose with either choice.

Super_Geo
05-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Sushi Hiro is brutal now. Has been for the last few years. It's walking distance from my office, and I'd rather drive elsewhere.

You mean since the fire? I haven't been going nearly as much lately cause I no longer live in Eau Claire, but it used to be a great spot. But what made it worse? It's still Hiro and Yoshi running the place, as it's always been.

Best value: Wa's sashimi lunch special... greatest hang over cure ever.

JLau
05-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Towa used to be good too, but last time i went it sucked

The 2 japanese guys that own sushi club are one of the original sushi chefs in calgary

New sukiyaki house is the same owner as the old one, but much more fusion now

Wa's is kinda hit and miss now, their amaebi used to be the best

I personally like uni, mirugai, saba, toro, ikura for sushi. Shikiji and the place on 14th street nw has the best ramen.

rage2
05-03-2012, 10:11 PM
The 2 japanese guys that own sushi club are one of the original sushi chefs in calgary
Worked with them for years at old Sukiyaki house. Not the oldest, there's one more guy that they worked under, who was the original Calgary sushi chef. He opened up a restaurant in Bridgeland (not Zipang, Sushi Hibiki) and I think he's retired now.

New sukiyaki house is the same owner as the old one, but much more fusion now
Nope. New sukiyaki house is owned by the old Sukiyaki House manager. The old sukiyaki house owner retired and closed down all the restaurants he owned. She somehow got the rights to the Sukiyaki house name, not sure of the details there.

Damn I feel old haha.

JLau
05-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Elliot is the new owner right?

rage2
05-03-2012, 10:26 PM
His sister, so ya.

JLau
05-03-2012, 10:31 PM
cool...my vote is still for sushi club and zipang =)

rage2
05-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Like I said, can't go wrong with any of these choices. Just no to Hiro! haha

The_Rural_Juror
05-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Any thoughts on Ki? My only complaint is the price.

dangleberries
05-04-2012, 12:09 AM

I was just at Zen8's on Friday for lunch and the bill was $110.00 for the GF and I. do u rly need every post to be an excuse to pretend to be rich to car nerd strangers?

im sad for you my brotha.

del-lude
05-04-2012, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by dangleberries
do u rly need every post to be an excuse to pretend to be rich to car nerd strangers?

I'm no baller in any sense but I don't see anything wrong with what 89coupe is saying. Everytime the fiance and I go eat sushi, it usually ends up over $100-$120 and our appetites aren't that big either. When you are eating mostly sashami, it adds up really quick.

ExtraSlow
05-04-2012, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
Any thoughts on Ki? My only complaint is the price.
I don't think it's that good. They are trying way to hard to be "fusion." I don't mind paying for sushi, but I'll never take my own money there. I work near there so occasionally people take me there, and my opinion never changes.

Koto just a few blocks west beats it. Although they have their share of fusion going on as well.

Still Prefer Wa's for real sushi.

dangleberries
05-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by del-lude

I'm no baller in any sense but I don't see anything wrong with what 89coupe is saying. Everytime the fiance and I go eat sushi, it usually ends up over $100-$120 and our appetites aren't that big either. When you are eating mostly sashami, it adds up really quick. yeah well with 2 dudes eating out its easy to rack up the bill

JLau
05-04-2012, 01:47 PM
I personally think $110 for 2 people is not expensive at all for sushi, unless all you eat are california and cucumber rolls. I order from sushi list or special request rolls and stuff too,i dont think hes trying to be a baller by any means.

Originally posted by dangleberries
do u rly need every post to be an excuse to pretend to be rich to car nerd strangers?

FiveFreshFish
05-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Drinks add up and are a pretty big percentage of the total.

dangleberries
05-04-2012, 11:19 PM
oops sorry guess im just a poor.

kenny
05-04-2012, 11:59 PM

I think I said that the last 2-3 times you dragged me there. I don't remember that place ever being good. :rofl:

ExtraSlow
05-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Took the pregnant wife to Wa's this week. She's avoiding raw fish, but there was a lot on the menu that she could still eat. I have to say, that night, wa's prepared the best salmon skin rolls I've ever had, and I order those everywhere.

diamondedge
05-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Came back from Zipang on Thursday. Still as good as I remember :)