PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal....

Mitsu3000gt
11-17-2006, 11:52 AM
Someone is selling a Nikon D2X body for $1200....isn't that a steal? Seller claims excellent condition and all original accessories like battery, etc.

Let me know please, I may get myself into a camera faster than I thought. This camera would be way above my skill though because I have very little experience :)

teggypimp95
11-17-2006, 11:58 AM
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_d2x.asp

this one here?

Mitsu3000gt
11-17-2006, 12:06 PM
From what I can tell, yes. The ad says D2x and it says 12.4 MP, professional DSLR, etc. etc.

Thats like a $4000 camera new so I was surprised to see it at the low low price of $1200.

Here's the AD, some guy in BC is selling it.

NIKON D2X PROFESSIONALLY 12.4 MP Digital Camera Brand: Nikon Digital Camera Type: SLR, Professional Resolution: 12.4 NIKON D2X camera body including all components:MH-21 battery charger, EN-EL 4 Li-ion battery(installed in camera), software CD(not shown in photo), manual. Camera and all items included are in excellent condition. $1200. obo

lint
11-17-2006, 12:08 PM
something smells fishy. No good reason why soneone would liquidate a d2x for that price.

teggypimp95
11-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Sounds great to me, make sure it includes the lense. A nice slr is on my wish list for christmas also. Im brand new to this too but looking forward to learning!

Mitsu3000gt
11-17-2006, 12:12 PM
It's body only, it does not include any lenses.

It sounded a little fishy to me too, but I don't know enough about the value of used cameras to tell if it's a good deal or not. Kind of like computers, people pay $5000 for a Pentium 2 computer several years ago and are stupid enough to try sell them for $3000 these days haha so I didn't know if cameras was the same deal.

I wish it wasn't in BC or I'd go take a look at it. Perhaps its been used a ton or something, perhaps photography is his occupation and it has 100,000+ shots through it. It is 3 years old though.

Maybe I'll call him and ask him straight up why he's asking $1200 for a camera that costs $4200 new, but he probably wont tell me anyways, or he'll raise the price haha.

sputnik
11-17-2006, 01:16 PM
If its too good to be true...

BerserkerCatSplat
11-17-2006, 02:38 PM
Either it's a scam, or it's a professional's main camera that's been absolutely beaten to shit. There's no way a D2X in any sort of condition should be going for that price.

However, a D2H in good condition goes for that amount, so it's possible he may have mistyped it? That's reaching pretty far, though. My instincts say scam.

clem24
11-17-2006, 02:50 PM
Is that from the buy and sell? That ads been floating around for a while. And they're all over Canada. In Ontario, etc... And it's usually a D2x or a 1DS MKII.

Anyway, I got scammed by something similar 1 1/2 years ago. It's one of those "best offer ads" so I made an offer of $400 on an iPod photo. The seller claims to live in Lloyd. He gave me his banking info, and told me to deposit the money straight into his account.

This was my naive days. So I stupidly ran to the bank at lunch to deposit the money. Of course, I've not heard from him since. Does not answer emails, I made the mistake of not getting his contact info like address and phone # (and call that number back to make sure).

I tried contacting buy & sell to get his info, but they refused and said you need a police order. So I called the CPS, but they basically ignored me b/c it was such a small amount. And I can totally see why it wouldn't be worth it to them: it'll probably cost them way more in wages and admin costs alone just to recover my $400.

Anyway, lesson learned the hard way. The *only* way now that I'll go for an offer like that is if I can pick it up in person.

Heck, the guy is in BC. If the D2X really is only $1,200, drive down there and pick it up. You're saving about $4,000 over a new one. Heck I'll pay YOU $1,000 to pick it up for me!!

My point: avoid. It's just simply too good to be true.

Mitsu3000gt
11-17-2006, 07:13 PM
Ok, thanks. I have no idea what the used market is like for digital cameras so I thought I'd ask.

Yes its the ad from buysell.com I was just bored at work today and looking at some used cameras. When I saw this, I thought to myself if this is the market for used stuff, I for sure am not going to buy new haha. But such is not the case.

If anyone's curious and wants to call him and ask what the deal is, his #is 250-903-4652