PDA

View Full Version : Total Newbie, just got first camera

Crymson
11-17-2006, 04:13 PM
Hi Ladies and Gents!

Just got my frist DSLR, a Nikon D50, with the basic 18-55mm lense, got delivered this afternoon.

Was wondering what all of your first experiences/frustrations with photography as a hobby was? What were the frist things you did that impressed you? Any Tips and Tricks that a took you a long time to learn that you'd wished someone had told you the frist day?

-Tim

BerserkerCatSplat
11-17-2006, 04:17 PM
Read the manual.

Read it again.

I cannot stress how important the manual is. Even better, when you've done that, get your hands on Thom Hogan's Guide to the Nikon D50, which is an excellent e-book.

Crymson
11-17-2006, 04:30 PM
GREAT! I found a torrent for that book, will download and go over it this weekend.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-17-2006, 04:34 PM
..I would urge you to actually buy the thing. It's only $30, and Thom is a guy I'd like to see supported for the amount of effort he puts into those books.

But hey, your call.

http://www.bythom.com/d50guide.htm

msommers
11-17-2006, 04:35 PM
would this book be very similair to the Nikon D70? I'm getting all these ideas in my head about what the picture will look like and then only to be disappointed because I can't operate the camera to know exactly what needs to be dialed in and such.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-17-2006, 04:42 PM
Thom has a book for each of the Nikon DSLR's - the D70/D70s is now in its second edition:

http://www.bythom.com/d70guide.htm

Crymson
11-17-2006, 04:43 PM
I'd love to buy it, but if i'm buying a book on photography, i want it printed on highgloss paper, and would glady pay for it at a Bookstore, otherwize, it way as well have been a website.

Or even if I could download it, i'd pay a few bucks, but i'm not super interested in waiting for CD.

canadianx
11-17-2006, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Read the manual.

Read it again.

I cannot stress how important the manual is.

DITTO on that! This helped me out a great deal to understand some things better. Things make more sense when you understand the why's and how's of something.

Also check out this thread for a plethora of great links on composition, techniques, black and white. You name it it is there!
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35783

DJ Lazy
11-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Since you are also all about downloading torrents... look for Digital Photography Unleashed... great dvd/movie for learning alot of basics for digital camera's.

Ben
11-17-2006, 08:32 PM
Practice Practice Practice!!!

Take photos of anything and everything, of the same thing, on multiple settings to find out what they do and how they impact your image.

The first year I got my DSLR, I shot approximatly 40,000 images, a lot of nothing, anything, and everything. Now I shoot about 25-30000, but I have a 9:10 or better usable ratio, as opposed to shooting 100 and only being able to use 5 or 10 (a common problem with d.Photography), and I do a lot more paid work. Eventually you'll learn your gear and just know what settings will be required to achieve the photo exposre you have in mind.

If you're not familiar with Single Lens Reflex cameras, take the above advice and read the manual, and study it. Locate some good forums and READ, avoid posting noobish questions on those forums as chances are they've been asked 3467426093928 times prior and you dont get much help. I used to recommend Fred Miranda forums but now it's just a cock size forum about who has the best of the best. Photography on the Net is pretty good, and for beginners, there's a few useful tips on Steves Forums.

I would also recommend as a beginner to AVOID massively post processing your photos, as it leads to laziness/reliance and inability to get that perfect shot in a pinch where post processing isn't an option. Programs like photoshop are phenominal resources, however I recommend learning the logistic and principles of photography and then utilizing these software programs to enhance an already well composed and exposed photo.

My advice, do with is as you may :).

AccentAE86
11-20-2006, 01:47 PM
Get this....

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/item/books-978081746300/0817463003

great place to start.
If you don't got the basics down, your learning will be painful and hampered.

Obscura
11-20-2006, 01:59 PM
Great suggestions Ben...

I'll add one more... take an evening class in photography. SAIT and Chinook Learning Cerner offer some good ones.

Mitsu3000gt
11-21-2006, 09:26 AM
Whats the difference between the D70 and the D70s? I read alot of good things about these cameras and if I can get one with a lens and everything for like $800 USD, instead of $1100 USD for a EOS 30D w/crap lens, thats pretty tempting.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-21-2006, 09:36 AM
D70s is an improved version of the D70, with much, much, MUCH better performance at high ISO's, a bigger LCD screen, and compatibility with the Remote Cord MC-DC1.

The D70/s are great cameras, though I'd go for the D70s just for the ISO performance.

Mitsu3000gt
11-21-2006, 09:48 AM
D70s is an improved version of the D70, with much, much, MUCH better performance at high ISO's, a bigger LCD screen, and compatibility with the Remote Cord MC-DC1.

The D70/s are great cameras, though I'd go for the D70s just for the ISO performance.

Thankyou.

Davan
11-21-2006, 10:39 AM
My best piece of advice... learn the physics behind light and colour.

Pihsiak
11-21-2006, 01:32 PM

I heard there was a firmware update that turns the 70 into 70s well atleast the soft focusing issue

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0505/05051701d70firmware.asp

Fire_chickin
11-21-2006, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Obscura
Great suggestions Ben...

I'll add one more... take an evening class in photography. SAIT and Chinook Learning Cerner offer some good ones.

This is probably the best advice for starters. It will save you a lot of time. One of the things they generally do is force you to use the manual settings on your camera which will vastly improve your photos in the future. The other thing that gets overlooked is composition. Anyone can stick their cam on auto and snap away. It's how you frame your pics that makes them stand out. Learn things like the rule of thirds and practice it until it becomes second nature and you will see a real improvement in your work.

TurboMedic
11-21-2006, 04:56 PM
Congrats on a great camera! I loved my D50! Join forums like http://nikonians.org or http://nikoncafe.com (though I find these guys more "pro attitude", less beginner). There are lots of books available to you, the above mentioned Thom Hogan ones, magic lantern series books, the joy of digital photography, etc.