PDA

View Full Version : All people going to Aug 5 road course

Fuji
07-18-2002, 08:12 AM
I have been talking to the instructor and he has asked if anyone is interested in a beginner - intermediate driving course related to our track day. Because we are renting the track with him the cost is much less than normal.

It will include a booklet and extra in-class training on intermediate driving skills. I think it will definitely help anyone iinterested in getting help improve. The cost will be about $20-$25. This class wil be very helpful to those who have never been on the track.

Just PM me in the next week if interested.

If there is enough commitment then I will set it up.

kenny
07-18-2002, 08:27 AM
It depends what day it is, but I would be interested if I can make it.

Fuji
07-18-2002, 09:41 AM
The event can be in the evening or on a weekend like the Sunday before. Everyone who is interested post what day would be good for you. :zzz:

kevie88
07-18-2002, 09:50 AM
I still have to meet with you and give you a deposit, Fuji, but I'm going white-water rafting this weekend, so it will have to be after that, I'll let you know when I get a chance to meet with you.. should be monday/tuesday if that's good for you!

mischief
07-18-2002, 10:39 AM
I'd totally be interested, but it would have to be in the evening or on a weekend as I work during the day.

Fuji
07-18-2002, 01:28 PM
Got some good news.

The course will be held for about 1.5-2 hours either the morning of the lapping day or a a couple days before, depending on everyone's availability.

The big news is that it will only cost anyone participating in the lapping day will pay only $5 max, but it will most likely be free, as long as we can meet all the costs.

I have to know in the next week who is in. If there isn't enouh people = at least 15, then it may not be worth it. at any rate just post if you are in.

rage2
07-18-2002, 01:37 PM
Morning of the lapping day is a great idea. Beginners can show up early and get a little bit more track time before the real fun begins. My dad would be interested, and I would probably show up as well with my family.

Hakkola
07-18-2002, 01:55 PM
This sounds kinda cool, I've never been to the track before, and I've always wanted to race cars but my mom says I'm too smart fot it, her excuse for everything. :rolleyes: :dunno: :thumbsdow :(

I'll ask her anyhow, how much would total costs be?

rage2
07-18-2002, 01:59 PM
The track day's already full, but it's $200 for an entire day of hot lapping. It's not really a "race", it's a driving event, you're there to learn to drive fast. There's strict passing rules, only on the straights, must be waved pass, etc.

Fat Dave
07-18-2002, 02:21 PM
I'd be interested in attending the beginner session. I've never driven a car on the track before, so I'll take all the training I can get! :thumbsup: :D

rage2
07-18-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Fat Dave
I'd be interested in attending the beginner session. I've never driven a car on the track before, so I'll take all the training I can get! :thumbsup: :D

How about your friend in the RX-7?

Hakkola
07-18-2002, 03:06 PM
Cool, I'll probably come watch or something

CRXguy
07-18-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Morning of the lapping day is a great idea. Beginners can show up early and get a little bit more track time before the real fun begins.

I like the sound of this!:thumbsup:

The Raptor
07-19-2002, 11:40 AM
Oh yea..that sounds great. Please post and let us know! I'm definitely interested!

Fuji
07-19-2002, 01:53 PM
Ok... so the course runs about 1.5 -2 hours. If we do it the morning of it will take a lot of time... we have to wake up pretty early. That morning there is also a 45min saftey course. Those who came last time will remember. I think it may cut in to some of our actual on the road time, which I don't want to see. I will try an alternate day... post good days and times... if i can't get this figured out by mid next week then it will prob be left out because I don't want to scramble with this, there is still a lot of stuff to figure out and do for that day.

Keep in mind we do have instructors out there to help you and drive with you. I have booked 3 already so that should be good for us even if the course doesn't pan out

Thanks

The Raptor
07-19-2002, 02:08 PM
uh what do you mean "if the road course doesn't pan out"? I thought this whole event was the road course? As for dates for the training sessin I am good to go on any day on the weekend before the 5th! Just let me know!

mischief
07-19-2002, 02:42 PM
As previously said, I'm good on weekday evening and on the weekends. Thanks.

CRXguy
07-20-2002, 02:27 PM
I'm good during the EVENING on a WEEKDAY.:thumbsup:

spyguy
07-20-2002, 04:52 PM
early morning of lapping day sounds good to me!

buh_buh
07-21-2002, 11:59 PM
morning of lapday sounds good to me too

rage2
07-22-2002, 12:15 AM
Morning of the lapping day works well for everyone I think...

7am-9am : Beginner course
9am-10am : Safety and Rules briefing
10am-6pm : Driving time

I've got family stuff happening from thursday to sunday, so Monday's the best for like 4 participants.

kenny
07-22-2002, 01:21 AM
I agree, morning of the lapping day will be fine, there isn't really a problem with cutting into the track time because most people will run out of gas before the end of the day.

I wonder if we can blend the Safety and Rules Briefing into the Beginner course and have everyone sit through that? The advanced group can just skip everything?

Just throwing out ideas...

speedracer
07-22-2002, 01:38 AM
I'd rather see the course before the event. It gives time to unload gear, wake up, setup car, and did I mention wake up.

Also it leaves some time for people to roll in (Will there be a cut off time or a casual enter?)

IMO, having a course before the event leaves the person with something to think about rather than quickly absorbing the information and going out for a run.

Saftey - This should be manditory for all drivers to attend.

My 2 cents.

spyguy
07-22-2002, 02:36 AM
yikes!!! 7am....im with kenny on this!

Originally posted by rage2
Morning of the lapping day works well for everyone I think...

7am-9am : Beginner course
9am-10am : Safety and Rules briefing
10am-6pm : Driving time

I've got family stuff happening from thursday to sunday, so Monday's the best for like 4 participants.

Fuji
07-22-2002, 07:58 AM
i think 7am is pretty early. We have the track till 6pm and we will be pretty beat by mid afternoon if we start like that. I think we may just kinda forget the beginner course? It seems like a huge trouble to get everyone together and have it done at a feasible time. What do you guys think. We will be having a begginer driving and safety course already before the actual hitting of the course. Already we have to be there at 8:30 sharp. I will be closing the gates at 9am. for safety reasons. What do you guys think?? I think 2-2.5 hours of sitting before the course is a bit much that's all. Safety course before getting on the track that morning will be mandatory.

mischief
07-22-2002, 12:46 PM
I agree that 7 am is kind early and will make a long day for all. But if that's what works for everyone then that will be fine i guess. There's no way we could get it in before that?

Fuji
07-22-2002, 02:14 PM
I think everyone will be really tired for the event, creating a saftey issue. It looks like some people can come evenings or both, but the morning of is the best. It's tough to get everyone together at the right time. There is a little problem with a location of where to hold the course and it is really time consuming trying to set it up... I have no idea where we could find such room. I don't want to see everyone paying for a course that only a looks like 6-7 people will show up to. If we do have the course then it would be mandatory for ALL people who the instuctor is not familiar with. I'd rather try and get an extra instructor, hence 3, so that we can use them as a resource on the track. I was thinking instead of in class time maybe the instructors and more advanced people can hit the track in the morning to give pointers. That way everyone can learn something. Again let me know your guys' thoughts. :dunno:

rage2
07-22-2002, 03:00 PM
If 7am poses to be a problem, then we should just do what we planned before... first group advanced, intermediate as passengers, next is intermediate, beginners as passengers, and last beginners, advanced as passengers. I think that's good enough anyways, there's only a small handful of people that needs to be shown around the track for a few laps.

B18C
07-24-2002, 11:57 AM
I just found this thread. I would really like a course if it is possible. Haven't done this before so I'd like to get as many pointers as possible. If not, Rage's idea is good. beginners last.

kenny
07-30-2002, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by B18C
I just found this thread. I would really like a course if it is possible. Haven't done this before so I'd like to get as many pointers as possible. If not, Rage's idea is good. beginners last.

The short safety/rules review class is very adequate. The basics are reviewed, along with what to do, and what not to do in several scenarios. The instructor also explains what line to take (very high level on a couple of the major corners).

I believe with this short safety/rules overview along with the ride alongs, anyone who has absolutely no experience will be more than comfortable out there.

No one is asking you to drive all out when you first go out, drive slow until you are comfortable at going faster, its not a race.

4wheeldrift
07-30-2002, 06:49 AM
For the newbies first group of runs, have an experienced person ride with them, and limit their top speed. Thats what the CSCC has done in the past for lapping days and it has worked fairly well.

kevie88
07-30-2002, 11:00 AM
Oh man I can hardly wait.. I haven't been on the track all year!:clap: :clap: :clap:

98Luder
07-31-2002, 05:05 PM
I would like to attend, the beginner course, and also the lap day. Is it too late?

Please let me know I"m very interested. Is there a number I can contact someone at?

I'll be traveling up from Edmonton so I need to try to plan this out. You can contact me at [email protected]
or if any of the organizers have any IM system i can chat with them about it. Thanks.

boi-alien
07-31-2002, 05:33 PM
98Luder, sorry guy, but i think it might be too late to register... ask rage2 or fuji

98Luder
08-01-2002, 11:15 AM
thanks CRXboi, i just called fuji, i'll see what happens.
I've never been on a road course and thought I'd try it out. Looks like it is goign to snow soon in Edmonton. We have seriously shity weather up here :dunno: