PDA

View Full Version : Skyline won't start

Mustangcrazy
11-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Hey there, I am having some major issues with my skyline.... If it is left outside in the cold she doesnt wanna start, But if left overnight inside a heated garage or shop it fires no problem.... Once running it seems to have some major hesitation... It's not turbo lag.... Anyways I hope someone has a clue whats going on.... I have tried a few things like new plugs, new coolant temp sensor, We have pulled the fuel pump and checked its flow, We have blown out all the fuel lines at the same time.. Anyways if you have any idea whats going on then PM me,,, thanx lata....

I really want this car back on the road, It's such a blast to drive...

kdwebber
11-17-2006, 05:36 PM
hey, I'm not the most mechanically inclined so I can't help you. I also think you will get way better responses if you post on www.gtrcanada.com

Cheers, Kyle

bituerbo
11-17-2006, 08:29 PM
compression tested? pulled the turbo yet?

Audio_Rookie
11-17-2006, 08:38 PM
I think that might be getting a little ahead of yourself...pulling turbo...

compression test might be a good idea....

does it run like crap when its been stored in heated garage as well? or just when it was outside in the cold?

This might sound weird...but once upon a time I had a similar problem. Ended up that there was some serious moisture in the vacuum lines and when its was freezing cold there would be chunks of ice in my vacuum lines causing flow restriction = run like crap.

I would be checking the rotor and distributor cap and see if anything is fishy there.

calgarys13
11-18-2006, 12:09 AM
^no rotor and cap.....CAS baby!

sounds like maybe a MAF issue...check out gtrcanada for a guide on how to clean the MAF!if you want i can also come and take a look at it...i find these cars interesting and problem solving amuses me

Cornfed
11-18-2006, 01:32 AM
Yea I had a similar problem with my car. I cleaned the MAF and it ran fine after that. :thumbsup:

Audio_Rookie
11-18-2006, 02:01 AM
CAS....o...nice :).

Mustangcrazy
11-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Ya I will try cleaning the maf, then see what happens,,,If that doesnt work I will pm ya calgarys13.....

GT-R rated
11-18-2006, 03:32 PM
what oil are you running, your starting weight can help (put some 0W40 in there) try a block heater. Does it run fine once its heated up?

calgarys13
11-18-2006, 04:06 PM
oil weight won't make that much of a difference...the only other idea i have is the battery, are you still running the micro JDM batteries???if so check the stats on the battery as most of them are for the summer climate in japan!

Sorath
11-18-2006, 04:10 PM
coil packs, maf, spark plugs etc

Mustangcrazy
11-18-2006, 04:11 PM
It's definatly not the oil, I am running full synthetic in it, And even with these warmer days she wont fire up, It turns over fine... And once it is left inside overnight she will fire right away. and it will run fine for a bit then there's major hesitation and the engine wants to stall out... I am gunna try cleaning the MAF and see what that happens.. All the coolant has been replaced, Including the waterpump "Cause some ass decided to fill the holes in it when it first started leaking" lol cheap bastards.. I hope its just the Maf needs to be cleaned, Hard to get at though with screens on both ends of it, But i will figure something out..lol

Mustangcrazy
11-18-2006, 04:13 PM
It's got new plugs, And i check the coils too when i was putting the plugs in,

calgarys13
11-18-2006, 04:18 PM
coils and plugs arn't always the answer kasem!!

MAF is easy to clean 5 minute job....keep me updated id like to see this car on the road!

Mustangcrazy
11-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by calgarys13
coils and plugs arn't always the answer kasem!!

MAF is easy to clean 5 minute job....keep me updated id like to see this car on the road!

lmao me too man,, I am gunna head to work tomorrow and try it out, If not i will pm ya....

Envitro
11-18-2006, 04:56 PM
not to sound stupid or anything, but what do you guys mean when you say maf?

carter_prelude
11-18-2006, 05:02 PM
mass airflow....sensor?

Mustangcrazy
11-18-2006, 05:03 PM
mass air flow sensor

Supa Dexta
11-18-2006, 07:17 PM
which can be finicky as hell, and pricey to match...

arian_ma
11-19-2006, 01:47 PM
That sort of sounds like a gas problem I was having with my car.
My mom put shitty gas in my car once and my car would NOT start if it was cold outside, and I would have huge ignition lag sometimes, like turn the key and nothing would happen for 10 seconds and then the car would start.

Maybe you need higher octane gas?

3G
11-19-2006, 02:24 PM
sounds close to wat i had, maf is wat it was, didnt know how to clean it so jus bought a new one for 138 bucks :( and all was good

Sorath
11-19-2006, 02:29 PM
coilpacks and plugs are usually the problem on skylines when they come over

Mustangcrazy
11-20-2006, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
That sort of sounds like a gas problem I was having with my car.
My mom put shitty gas in my car once and my car would NOT start if it was cold outside, and I would have huge ignition lag sometimes, like turn the key and nothing would happen for 10 seconds and then the car would start.

Maybe you need higher octane gas?

Well its not a fuel problem, I dont run anything but premium in all my cars...And there is no ignition lag.. she turns over fine.... I think I am gunna pull the turbo and see if everything is ok on that end...

Audio_Rookie
11-20-2006, 06:32 PM
why dont you just check the shaft play before you pull it? I mean....usually if a turbo is busted....its pretty easy to tell by shaft play....

Lo)2enz0
11-20-2006, 06:34 PM
do not start ripping things apart until you figure out what it is. my guess 02 sensor, coilpacks of maf

if it was the turbo your car would still start

Teggy
11-21-2006, 05:56 PM
do u have a stock E.C.U. just wondering cuz,for ecxample my silvia does the same thing but thats because i replaced the stock E.C.U. with a microtech unit, anyways it has to have the E.C.U, tuned with a col map start anyways let us know whats up with your car??

Mustangcrazy
11-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Well I pulled all the coils outta the thing today at lunch and I found one thats bad I think, Never had a car with coils before. But it doesnt look or feel the same as the others... I am so hopeing this is it...lol I will find out soon... I am pretty sure the computer in it is stock but hell ya never know...

calgarys13
11-21-2006, 07:05 PM
easiest way to check coils is to have car running and pull the plugs off each coil and youll be able to hear a noticable change in RPM....also the car usually must be warm as the coils don't fail until they get quite hot....im trying to make time to come help you too by the way...

codepoet101
11-21-2006, 07:15 PM
what weight is the synthetic oil you have in it?

Mustangcrazy
11-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by calgarys13
easiest way to check coils is to have car running and pull the plugs off each coil and youll be able to hear a noticable change in RPM....also the car usually must be warm as the coils don't fail until they get quite hot....im trying to make time to come help you too by the way...

Ya i will try that once i do have it running, But just from looking at this one coil it looks fucked. I am gunna try changing it out and see what happens.. The electrode on the bottom of the coil Is barely there... And I appreciate you tryin to come out and help...:thumbsup: