PDA

View Full Version : Camp Jobs

SquidHound
11-17-2006, 05:41 PM
Hi to all...Another easterner looking to head west after getting laid off after 15 years. Looking to obtain employment from entry level to the electronics field. Any info on obtaining camp work in Alberta such as what companies to contact (and not to contact), what kind of jobs they are looking for etc. would be greatly appreciated!

adamc
11-17-2006, 05:56 PM
sorry, Alberta's full.

maybe try back in a year or two.

dodger97
11-17-2006, 06:03 PM
^^That was rude :(

Audio_Rookie
11-17-2006, 06:12 PM
what was your position for 15 years? trade?

verybaddkitty
11-17-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by adamc
sorry, Alberta's full.

:bullshit:

Audio_Rookie
11-17-2006, 08:21 PM
I am pretty sure that was sarcasm....

verybaddkitty
11-17-2006, 09:55 PM
sarcasm is a difficult tactic to use on a read only forum.

Rat Fink
11-18-2006, 12:26 AM

blueToy
11-18-2006, 02:21 AM
Hey Squidhound,

sorry to hear about your current employment situation , but before you pack up and head west , you better do some research and think this thru . Some things to concider :

A camp job isn't a home , or a hotel or hostel etc. So ,first you'd have to find a place to live , and that leads to two problems . First , it's crowded here at the moment with people from everywhere looking for work . Even our homeless shelters are filled to capacity with people that HAVE jobs already , they just can't either find places to live or can't afford them . That's problem number two . Renting a ROOM is a house in Fort Mac will put you back $5-6 hundred dollars a month , and thats IF you can find one . Vacancy rate anywhere in this province is tight right now . And expensive .
So how does your resume look ? You just got laid off from working where for 15 years , doing what ??? From your post , you're looking for a job in electronics , but at a entry position ? What is your experience ? AND , do your credentials/schooling travel across borders ? It may be way cheaper for you to upgrade in NL , rather then having to come here and do it . Do you have any safety courses ? Whimis , first aid , etc ? Most companies may help with these , but it could take time , and time is money .

I could go on and on about this , and I'm not trying to discourage you , but I've done the camp thing , and I've met lots of folks who've come here because of stories they've heard about the booming economy and "help wanted ' signs posted on every street . It's true . Most companies that are looking for people to take minimum wage jobs ( McDonalds ,Timmies, WalMart , 7-11 , etc ) are SCREAMING for people . It was just announced today Canadian Tire is bringing in planes loads of Mexicans , because they can't find people . Well , they can't find people who will work for $8-12/hour , and if that sounds good , well , you'll be in for sticker shock . You can't really live outside of the ghetto or ten people to a room on $12/hour .
Soooo , if you're willing to either start at the bottom , or are wealthy , or have family here that you can live with ( for the time being ) , or are completely free of any respocibilities and don't mind living in your car/truck ( its cool here now , but it's a dry cool ) , then pack up your bags and head west .

One more thing . Good advice above . Also look in the Oilfield directory for company names and give them a call directly .
Good luck .

Rockski
11-18-2006, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by adamc
sorry, Alberta's full.

practically

Originally posted by dodger97
^^That was rude :(

may of been rude, but its the truth... and liek posted above, if you plan on more than minimum wage, good luck dude

thrasher22
11-18-2006, 02:39 AM
By camp work, I'm assuming you mean on the oil rigs. If so read this thread, tons of contacts and tips http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136814

Audio_Rookie
11-18-2006, 02:53 AM
crappy tire south Edmonton paying 18$/hr starting wage for a tire tech with 0 experience.

didn't expect to just read that in the paper.....they actually have 3 ads for the same position lol.

Rockski
11-18-2006, 03:14 AM
fuckin eh. thats almost what i get

dodger97
11-18-2006, 04:27 AM
A "camp job" is just that...the company (mostly oil) will provide lodging as well as meals. If there isn't room in camp (and they need you) they will pay LOA...

As for my comment "That was rude"...my impression was the previous post did not contribute to the thread and was inconsequential.:thumbsdow

blueToy
11-18-2006, 11:34 AM
It was too late for me to finish , so here's part II :

Squidhound ,

your last question , " what kind of jobs they are looking for " , I assume you mean what are the employers looking for in workers . This all depends on who hires you to do what , but in general , the company would want someone that has a specialized trade or certification . Again , if any of the work relates to anything to do with the Oil business , then you'll need things like WHIMIS , H2S , most likely a first aid course or two , plus whatever certification in your particular field . Also , on that note , the last few companies that I've worked with are all getting into doing drug tests , and some do random checks too . On big jobs , any 'incident' that that can be as minor as breaking a mirror on a machine scraping the ice off , will be written up and you'll have to provide a sample . I know this because the Union I'm with has mentioned it to us at our last meeting .:drama:

So basically , if you're desperate , then expected to get treated as such . As my other post mentioned , the jobs that employers are screaming for workers are usually entry level , minimum wage with no benefits types .

Now that all said , try calling around . Fax your resume to tons of companies . If you do a search on this site theres lots of info about The Oilfield Directory and companies , etc .

Good luck ,

Supa Dexta
11-18-2006, 01:57 PM
.nm

johnboy27
11-18-2006, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Rockski

practically

may of been rude, but its the truth... and liek posted above, if you plan on more than minimum wage, good luck dude
That's crap and you know it. There are tons of jobs out here. I am an easterner and I'll tell you that if it wasn't for us than the company I work for would be short about 30-40% of their workers.
My advice would be for squidhound to find a room to rent and then get out here and start the hunt. I had no experience what so ever and stepped right into a 50,000 dollar + a year job. I should actually make 70-90,000 in 12 months. That's a hellof alot better than I could have ever done bak home. Any person who has a class 3 or 1 liscense here in Alberta canmake a minimum of 60,000 a year if they look in the right place.
There is tons of work to be had squidhound,just come out and look hard for it and you'll find it.

if you plan on more than minimum wage, good luck dude
I don't even think there is a gas station or corner store in Red Deer or any of the surrounding towns that pays less than 10 bucks an hour. That's a couple of bucks over minimum wage. I started at my job at an average of 25 bucks an hour or more depending on business. I have made as much as 70 bucks an hour some days. So if you can't seemto find anything above monimum wage then you are certainly looking in the wrong places.

fast&dangr
11-19-2006, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by blueToy
Hey Squidhound, Renting a ROOM is a house in Fort Mac will put you back $5-6 hundred dollars a month , and thats IF you can find one .

lol, that'll get you an outhouse occupied by 8 other dudes hot-changing the bed. Plan on $900-$1200/mo to get a place that isn't under investigation by the provincial health authorities.

Audio_Rookie
11-19-2006, 11:57 PM
My uncle is paying 1500/month to sleep on a couch.

SquidHound
11-21-2006, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Audio_Rookie
what was your position for 15 years? trade?

Audio_Rookie...electronics tech....also just received H2S to get me started.