PDA

View Full Version : import a Mitsu Evo

azndragon1234
11-17-2006, 11:48 PM
Since canada will have Evo X in 2008, will we be able to import the non-EVO X to canada? Cuase the Evo X is a piece of shit. A site i read said that i can only import cars that are current in canada, or legal, etc. But anyone have any idea if i can import likea Evo 4 or 8?

Audio_Rookie
11-17-2006, 11:50 PM
cant import em. your fucked.

www.riv.ca

b_t
11-17-2006, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by azndragon1234
Since canada will have Evo X in 2008, will we be able to import the non-EVO X to canada? Cuase the Evo X is a piece of shit. A site i read said that i can only import cars that are current in canada, or legal, etc. But anyone have any idea if i can import likea Evo 4 or 8?

The Evo X is a piece of shit? Interesting.

azndragon1234
11-17-2006, 11:51 PM
im not fucked, but im still thinking it should be possible that i can import it if canada has the evo x

94SSEi
11-17-2006, 11:53 PM
No, the older Evos don't meet crash-test regs, the X will. It's pretty fuckin' simple.

IncredibleToad
11-17-2006, 11:53 PM
based on what information are u thinking its possible? Besides the fact that all of them start with Evo(then pick a roman numeral from I to IX)

PrezeS_PL
11-17-2006, 11:54 PM
you can't just like you can't import GC8 STi

azndragon1234
11-17-2006, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by 94SSEi
No, the older Evos don't meet crash-test regs, the X will. It's pretty fuckin' simple.

thats so fuken bs, its just canada not letting them come in with a better excuse. Canada tries to protect there own domestic market and doesnt allow certain cars in :whipped:

That.Guy.S30
11-17-2006, 11:55 PM
PrezeS_PL:
a dude in toronto has done it. its claimed as a kit car.

ver3 STi if you wanted to know.

Audio_Rookie
11-17-2006, 11:56 PM
hey, as long as RIV doesn't change their fucking policy again....you can wait until the car is 15 years old and then import it....only what......12 more years to wait ??? lol.

azndragon1234
11-17-2006, 11:58 PM
^^ lol by then il be driving some luxery car and not no performance car and i dont want a 15 year old car either :guns:

xrayvsn
11-18-2006, 12:15 AM
The Evo is not admissable. End of story. There's no big conspiracy behind it, it is because they fail the low speed front bumper damage test due to the FMIC. This should not be a problem with the Evo X, which for some reason you think will be a "piece of shit" anyway.

Take some time and read the RIV admissable cars list and their rules, don't speculate. The regulations are pretty clear, there should be nothing vague about them to make you think the other Evos are admissable before the 15 year rule.

Otherwise, enjoy your "luxery" vehicle.:bigpimp:

projekz
11-18-2006, 12:22 AM
A friend of mine in Montreal is a lawyer and he owns an American registered Evo VIII . He is appealing RIV regarding the fact that you can import anything that's 15 years old but can't get a new one. He's going on the fact that the car ends up on the road anyways. Let's see what happens.

lilmira
11-18-2006, 12:29 AM
Is it technically possible to take the whole car apart and ship them to Canada piece by piece, then re-assemble and register as a kit car however stupidly expensive it would be?

PrezeS_PL
11-18-2006, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
PrezeS_PL:
a dude in toronto has done it. its claimed as a kit car.

ver3 STi if you wanted to know.

well you dont have to look as far as ON ther is one in calgary but i'm taking grey market in large numbers it would not pass,
94 RHD - that car is very nice
http://www.kuksshop.com/sitebuilder/images/image001_Small_-395x290.jpg

That.Guy.S30
11-18-2006, 12:40 AM
^ nice..

this one is abit nicer
http://www.toronto-subaru-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94206

its for sale as well.

chris
11-18-2006, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by PrezeS_PL

well you dont have to look as far as ON ther is one in calgary
there's 2 evo VII in calgary, both very legal. There were about 15-20 cars sent up here as regular lancers. There's a big thread/pictures about this somewhere. I think they originally came up to a dealership in winnipeg

That.Guy.S30
11-18-2006, 12:52 AM
^ start digging...

Slashin_
11-18-2006, 04:16 PM
theres loop holes if u realli realli want one..
there 2 i forget 1 of them,but the other one is being a student for an year at that country then u can import if with to back to canada....i think

ZedMan
11-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by azndragon1234

thats so fuken bs, its just canada not letting them come in with a better excuse. Canada tries to protect there own domestic market and doesnt allow certain cars in :whipped:

WTF are you talking about the only competitor the EVO has here is the STI and that's an import too :nut:

94SSEi
11-18-2006, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Slashin_
there 2 i forget 1 of them,but the other one is being a student for an year at that country then u can import if with to back to canada....i think

I wouldn't take import advice from anyone that "thinks" they know, and spells this poorly.

tentacles
11-18-2006, 06:00 PM
Why not? It seems like these are the cars of choice for the less intelligent. I think there's someone selling on in the Marketplace, the OP should contact him. :)

IIHS Study of average loss car in the US, 2006 (http://www.iihs.org/brochures/ictl/pdf/ictl_0906.pdf) (PDF)

Collision losses indicate the relative average loss payments per insured
vehicle year filed under collision coverages. Collision insurance provides
reimbursement for the cost of repairing crash damage to insured vehicles,
less a specified deductible amount for which the policyholder is responsible.

Loss results for 2003-05 models are stated in relative terms (100 represents
the average result for all vehicles in each loss coverage category).

Top 3 Average Collision Loss:

3) Dodge SRT-4: 284
2) BMW M3: 291

1) Mitsubishi Lancer Evo: 428 :nut:

Maybe it's a good thing the avg driver in Calgary can't buy these. :thumbsup:

chris
11-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
^ start digging...

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28600&perpage=40&highlight=&pagenumber=3

there are pictures of both in that thread, a silver one and a white one. there is another thread somewhere else too, just type in evo and calgary and something should come up

That.Guy.S30
11-19-2006, 12:00 AM
^ yea i already know them. one is a member on these boards. his is the real deal, allowable in canada as it was one of the handful of evos that got in unnoticed.

i want to know if the kit car rule allows us to bring in the evos. probably not, but if the subies can get in why not the evos

sneek
11-19-2006, 12:27 AM
I thought you couldn't import them because of emmisions and becasue the front bumper doesn't meet Canadian specs

wheelz
11-19-2006, 01:47 AM
one way to bring one up that would be totally illegal would be to buy a regular lancer insurance writeoff, then swap VINS with an evo and insure it as a regular lancer. You would only be fu@$ed if you got in an accident, or someone found out.

As for stripping a car and bringing it in as a kit check out this thread.

http://forums.c7performance.com/showthread.php?t=11979

wheelz
11-19-2006, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by sneek
I thought you couldn't import them because of emmisions and becasue the front bumper doesn't meet Canadian specs

Yeah they found that on the earlier evos the oilcooler gets punctured in a crash and that is a potential fire hazard

240sxTurbo
11-19-2006, 01:56 AM
there is a evo here in calgary.
it was at a couple of the last car shows
says evo right on the back looks like a evo and says evopower on the plates

94SSEi
11-19-2006, 11:26 AM
There are provisions for show cars, but it's next to impossible to get one for private ownership.

EDIT: Realised you might have meant like show and shines, if so I guess it's one of the few legal Evos.

Dayclone
11-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Just buy a rally.... and import the evo engine, drivetrain etc... and drop it into the OZ rally and omg sexy ass car! may look like a Oz rally but a heart of a Evo.... would that not be fucking sick or what?

Steve

dino_martini
11-19-2006, 12:09 PM
You would think that a company would certify the car to Canadian crash test ratings and american crash test ratings just so they can sell more cars. :dunno:

heavyD
11-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
You would think that a company would certify the car to Canadian crash test ratings and american crash test ratings just so they can sell more cars. :dunno:

Business-wise it would cost more money for Mitsu to make structural changes than they would make on sales in a small country like Canada where the majority of cars sold are inexpensive compacts.

jorge
12-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by tentacles
Why not? It seems like these are the cars of choice for the less intelligent. I think there's someone selling on in the Marketplace, the OP should contact him. :)

IIHS Study of average loss car in the US, 2006 (http://www.iihs.org/brochures/ictl/pdf/ictl_0906.pdf) (PDF)

Top 3 Average Collision Loss:

3) Dodge SRT-4: 284
2) BMW M3: 291

1) Mitsubishi Lancer Evo: 428 :nut:

Maybe it's a good thing the avg driver in Calgary can't buy these. :thumbsup:

Haaaa....:rofl: Yeah... sure dude! you go buy something safe like a Chev Impala or Volvo wagon... :barf: ....and leave those 3 cars listed above for the rest of us. :poosie:

Zephyr
12-03-2006, 05:23 PM
Stupid question but: Can't you just buy one in the states and try to pass off as a visitor?

silver_gs-R
12-03-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by b_t

The Evo X is a piece of shit? Interesting.

:werd: hating that thing.

Evo8 on the other hand :thumbsup:.

RickDaTuner
12-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Slashin_

the loophole that you are referring to requires that you reside outside of Canada for a period of three years, which then would only allow you to retain the vehicle in question for another 3 years on Canadian soil, it then must be exported or it will be destroyed.
The only real loophole that is available to bring in any car from any other country is one that requires you to acquire the vehicle as a gift or reward from a prize draw or lottery, which has to be verified and traced back to a organization with proper credibility, and even then its very difficult to get it over here like that.

crazedmodder
12-03-2006, 09:38 PM
What the hell, you can do kit car/home-builts here? On the RIV list of admissable US vehicles it says no kit cars <15 years old...

chris
12-03-2006, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr
Stupid question but: Can't you just buy one in the states and try to pass off as a visitor?

need to have an address to register it in the states

KuruptEX
12-04-2006, 04:24 AM
i remember when these evo threads were import a skyline lol

95EagleAWD
12-04-2006, 07:16 PM
Any thread with the words "import" and "Evo" should be closed.

4WARNED
12-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
Any thread with the words &quot;import&quot; and &quot;Evo&quot; should be closed.

No, let them purchase one and try to bring it across.....it only helps to maintain my resale value:thumbsup:

95EagleAWD
12-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by 4WARNED

No, let them purchase one and try to bring it across.....it only helps to maintain my resale value:thumbsup:

;)

I guess it would.