PDA

View Full Version : Had an accident last night :(

black_radiation
11-18-2006, 08:36 AM
So i was coming off of southbound mcleod trail coming up the offramp to go westbound shawnessy boulevard, I came to the yield sign and there was a dodge caravan in front of me, there was no traffic coming so the caravan proceeded to leave the yield sign slowly, I crept up behind her and looked left to see if there was any oncoming traffic in our lane that we were about to merge into, nothing so i let my foot off the brake and the second i did that the van in front of me slammed on the brakes and i bumped into the back of her, now my bumper was above hers so i hit the tailgate causing the glass to shatter and it to pop open, i was probably going about between 5-10km/h. I parked my truck and ran up to make sure she was ok, she was crying i think from the shock and she said her back was in a little bit of pain, now im thinking that i couldnt have bumper her that hard considering my phone was on my center console which is covered in leather and it didnt even fall off the center console it just slid maybe an inch or 2. so anyways pulled my truck around the front of her so vehicles could get by us and stood with her while i called the cops/ambulance and she made a few jokes about at least it being a dodge that hit her. her tailgate was pushed in, im sure they will have to replace that, but there was no other body/bumper damage, and all that i did was put a slight crack in my grill. *sigh* well my 3 bad things have happenned this week so hopefully nothing else comes lol. i've got to say that the officer that i dealt with was incredibly nice i believe his name was officer cairn(e)?
They did end up taking the woman in the ambulance to the hospital just in case but she got out of her van with a bit of help and sat on the stretcher, then they took her to the ambulance and the officer said she will be fine and that i coudlnt have been moving fast considering my truck vs her van and the damage. He even guessed about 5kmh before i said anything. So question is. who has a 2000ish dodge caravan tailgate lying around? im gonna go through cash to pay for it, including reimbursing her for the ambulance ride, the cop actually suggested it of all people? lol

PS i got a ticket for following too closely as apparently they are required to give SOMEBODY a ticket in an accident but he could have given me a ticket for careless driving which was 4 demerits and 400$

racin_jayson
11-18-2006, 08:45 AM
bummer about the accident, but its good that you had some nice people to deal with.

fast95pony
11-18-2006, 09:24 AM
I'm glad you're okay ,and you handled the situation well :thumbsup: .

I have to wonder why lifted trucks are still allowed. With their higher bumpers they can do a lot of damage , as you have just proved. Cops give out a lot of tickets for very minor performance things ,stating safety. Yet a lift in a truck ,which obviously affects the trucks handling, and the damage if can inflict on another vehicle even at slow speeds, gets off with nothing.

Hmmm..

bituerbo
11-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Uhm, when the cabbie rear-ended me causing $800 in damages to my vehicle he wasn't given a ticket so WTF.
Cops were called to the scene, too considering it was a cab involved.

Hope she doesn't try to screw you around. I was tagged at about 15-20km/hr from behind and we were fine.

black_radiation
11-18-2006, 06:39 PM
yeah, well a stock dodge ram is actually higher than her bumper anyways so it doesnt matter that i have an extra 3" of lift, my trucks not THAT much bigger than stock, if i had it stock i definately still would have just taken the hatch out but i would have probably grazed the top of the bumper.... argh damn people and their erratic driving, couldnt she get a ticket for erratic driving like her slamming on the brakes for no reason

carter_prelude
11-18-2006, 06:57 PM
damn dude...your trucks taken a beating lately!! :eek: bad luck. :thumbsdow hope you get it fixed and everything. Did you ever find out who smoked your truck and ran?

black_radiation
11-18-2006, 07:58 PM
no i didnt find out who smoked my truck. lol well at least my 3 bad things happened (broke up with gf, truck got hit and run, and then I ran into the back of this woman) lol yeah my truck is BARELY damaged in the front, scuffed the paint a little on the bumper and cracked my chrome grill about 3 inches and thats about it, other than that no damage, hood is still totally aligned and same with bumper, like i said, i didnt hit her hard at all, i just hope she doesnt pull the whiplash card and try and sue... cause that would be the shits

Masked Bandit
11-18-2006, 09:58 PM
I wouldn't bother considering handling this outside of insurance. I can almost guarantee she is going to be claiming whiplash or something similar. There is no way her back was actually hurt at that speed. She is going to be asking for between $5000 and $20,000 when it is all said and done. Whether you pay for the damage to the van or not does not matter. As soon as she says "injury"...you're phucked. You might as well just call your insurance company.

black_radiation
11-18-2006, 11:15 PM
ill wait until something comes back to make a definative decision, i just hope she finds it in her heart not to screw me over, its tough to find honest people these days

danno
11-19-2006, 05:53 AM
I was in an accident the exact same place as that, pretty much the same situation! However the Rav-4 I hit, only had 110 km on it. Oops.
Its a bad yield, and are constantly accidents there!!!... Hope things turn out ok for you!

frozenrice
11-19-2006, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by black_radiation
no i didnt find out who smoked my truck. lol well at least my 3 bad things happened (broke up with gf, truck got hit and run, and then I ran into the back of this woman) lol yeah my truck is BARELY damaged in the front, scuffed the paint a little on the bumper and cracked my chrome grill about 3 inches and thats about it, other than that no damage, hood is still totally aligned and same with bumper, like i said, i didnt hit her hard at all, i just hope she doesnt pull the whiplash card and try and sue... cause that would be the shits

Man, you're just a country/western song waiting to happen. Hope all works out for you.

black_radiation
11-19-2006, 10:19 PM
HAHAHA thanks frozenrice maybe i should start a country/western band and use that as my first hit eh?

Datsun-Fever
11-20-2006, 10:52 PM
I hate lifted trucks, they shouldnt be allowed in the city.

azndragon1234
11-20-2006, 11:04 PM
does every accident have a person who gets a ticket? I got hit and it was the other persons fault, but i never found out if she got a ticket or not. Cause she was a total noob, she wasnt following to close, she was beside me and didnt "see" me and then she just pulled and dragged along my fender and bumper.

Moe Man
11-21-2006, 12:30 AM
careless driving is 6 points BTW

Police
11-21-2006, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Datsun-Fever

Impreza
11-21-2006, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Datsun-Fever

:werd: So many accidents lately involving big trucks in general like F350's, etc. They really shouldn't be allowed on the roads. They're dangerous and are more likely to kill people in accidents. I was next to a F-350 the other day in an Audi A6, and even in a sedan of that size, the F-350's bumper was at my head/neck level!!

black_radiation
11-22-2006, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Moe Man
careless driving is 6 points BTW

odd, the officer told me 400$ and 4 points :dunno: maybe they changed it? and its not my fault that you have lowered you car that makes it so my bumper is at your neck level, you cant really compare say an S2000 to an F350, the F350 is built for purpose, a low truck is worthless to people who use the truck for what its made for, being a truck!

Cruz
11-23-2006, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by black_radiation
she was crying i think from the shock and she said her back was in a little bit of pain

Given this comment, I would say that the odds are pretty good that she'll try to milk it. It frustrates the hell out of me that people do this but as soon as the opportunity presents itself, the greed kicks in for most people.

I have been rear ended 3 times seriously enough that I could have easily claimed it and gotten several thousand dollars at the very least. In one instance, a pickup slammed into me going at least 40, completely demolishing my back end and crunching the trunk to a quarter of it's original size. I didn't even consider filing a false claim even though it wouldn't have been questioned at all given the severity of the damage to the vehicle.

PS i got a ticket for following too closely as apparently they are required to give SOMEBODY a ticket in an accident

Not the case. There is what is referred to as a "no-fault accident" however in this case, because you were behind, the following too close ticket is legitimate according to traffic law, even though she shouldn't have slammed the brakes. Technically (according to the law) you should be far enough to give yourself enough reaction time even if the vehicle in front brakes suddenly.

I would say that the odds are extremely high that she will file a claim and probably with injury. It will cost you in the long run on the insurance front so I wouldn't pay a cent out of pocket now. I would also hire a lawyer to fight the ticket so your premiums don't take the double hit.

black_radiation
11-23-2006, 12:36 AM
yeah im going to try and fight the ticket

inline6turbo
11-23-2006, 12:51 AM
awe sorry to hear about that jordan, thats shitty
i thank god every day i haven't been involved in an accident

black_radiation
11-23-2006, 02:55 AM
haha i know i was more pissed off that years of clean driving including NO tickets has been tarnished lol, my truck seems to be bad luck lately, hence the splurge buy on the skyline to make myself feel better :nut:

Impreza
11-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Impreza

:werd: So many accidents lately involving big trucks in general like F350's, etc. They really shouldn't be allowed on the roads. They're dangerous and are more likely to kill people in accidents. I was next to a F-350 the other day in an Audi A6, and even in a sedan of that size, the F-350's bumper was at my head/neck level!!

At the time, I was actually in an Audi A6 which is a decently sized sedan imo.

Ferrari owner
11-25-2006, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by danno
I was in an accident the exact same place as that, pretty much the same situation!Its a bad yield, and are constantly accidents there!!!...

:rolleyes: at least the OP could admit it was his fault.

natejj
11-25-2006, 02:27 AM
I had the exact same accident 3 weeks ago. Luckily, no damage, or crying lady. Good luck.

black_radiation
11-25-2006, 09:49 AM
yeah its a horrible intersection they need a better merge system, but the bridge doesnt really allow for it so no change is ever going to be made unfortunately, there was another accident there when i was on my way home on thursday, EXACT same situation as we all have had there lol