PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a home FTP server

holden
11-19-2006, 11:54 AM
I am trying to set up a home FTP server. I have FileZilla server running and have signed up for a free URL address. Now everything works fine when I use an ftp client on the local computer (though this is useless because why would I need to FTP to a computer I am already using).

The problem is when I try to connect from an outside computer. I can ping myself using the URL, but when I try to use any FTP client, I get no response from the server. I am not behind a router or firewall, just plugged directly into my Shaw cable modem. Does anybody know what the problem might be (or a better FTP server to use)? Thanks.

Agent_Oorange
11-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Are you sure you don't have Windows firewall or any firewall software running (Norton, McAfee etc)?? If so open up port 21 on the firewall, assuming you have FileZilla configured to use the default FTP port

Zero102
11-19-2006, 10:06 PM
You have a firewall running, or are connecting to the incorrect port.
Shaw doesn't block anything, so you should be able to make this work.
Check your firewalls, and add the necessary rules to allow incoming TCP connections on port 21 (if that is your FTP port).

liquidboi69
11-19-2006, 10:13 PM
Make sure:

-On the router, set up a DMZ or open the correct FTP server port
-Disable firewalls or open the FTP port for it
-If you have a router, make sure you're trying to connect to the extenal IP, not the internal network IP. Find this by going to www.whatismyip.com