PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar S-Type R

pinoyhero
11-19-2006, 02:29 PM
My buddy is looking at an '03 and I can't believe how cheap these things can be had for via bringing them across the border. They look real nice, put out 390HP and 0-60 in just over 5. TO think that all of that can be had for in the low 30s Canadian all said and done.

Now I know that Jags are kinda sketch and there's a reason they depriciate like computers for a reason, but can any one substantiate the claim? I mean is there some hard evidence somewhere that justifys why the cars are so cheap used. You just can not get a comparalbe car for even 10K more.

If there is anything out there please post or post your own stories about jags, but preferalby the S-Type R and preferably for 03-045 models.

Thanks in advance for sharing, I'll elt you know if he picks it up.

infected
11-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Don't know much about Jaguar but this one does look pretty promising... (Sedans, 2005)
http://www.hyattauto.mercedes-benz.ca/index.cfm?id=1621

pinoyhero
11-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Way over pirced, on ebay you can find '03s in the mid 20s US.

ZMan2k2
11-19-2006, 07:43 PM
I've got four letters for you F-O-R-D.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by ZMan2k2
I've got four letters for you F-O-R-D.

And that's somehow worse than the people who owned Jaguar before, British Fucking Leyland? Jaguar has excellent reliability these days.

pinoyhero
11-19-2006, 07:56 PM
^Then any idea whats with the ridiculous depriciation?

BerserkerCatSplat
11-19-2006, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
^Then any idea whats with the ridiculous depriciation?

Perception. British Leyland ruined Jaguar's image and people still think they're unreliable. Indeed, the Jaguar V12 was awful - it was also one of the first things to go when Ford took over. The Lucas electronics in ths XJS were also godawful. Nowadays, Jaguars are much better built. JD Power seems to agree:

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/5485/ca822589rt7.jpg

pinoyhero
11-19-2006, 08:44 PM
^Is that for '06 cars, do you have a source for those in '00-'05 type thing?

Mitsu3000gt
11-19-2006, 09:23 PM
JD power is not the best thing to go by IMO, problems per 100 cars is not a good way to measure reliability. They do not say what the problem is. Let's say for example your tranny or engine blows in the Jag, and a headlight bulb goes in a Lexus. Each rack up one "problem" with one being almost a non-issue and the other one being major. Jag's are OK IMO, but there is too much Ford in them for my liking. I've driven the X type, S type, XJ, XJR, and XK. All these brand new cars were full of squeaks and creaks. They just aren't screwed together like a German or high end Jap car. None of them were that good, but I do hear the new XK is very nice.

In all the comparison tests ive read with the Jag S Type R, it came in last place unless there was something else american like a Lincoln LS or some crap like that in the test; but for $30k, one may be able to overlook a few of its shortcomings. I think there are better options, but it won't be a bad car for $30K IMO.

boarderfatty
11-19-2006, 10:06 PM
Haven't had experiences with the s-type r but my grandpa has a 2004 XJR for a winter car and hasnt had any complaints. He has owned it since new and has had no major recall or warranty problems, just basic maintainance. I have heared that people tend to dispise the J gate shifter in them, but I dont mind it. Plus I think the interiors in the Jag's are one of the classiest for the money(soft leather, plush carpets, lots of wood). I think that the s-type R and XJR have the same supercharged drivetrain, and the only problem that I have ever hear about them was from the 2000 model xjr i believe, which had tranny problems( couldn't handle the power, dealers swaped in benz parts). Other than that I think they are awsome cars and a good bang for the buck.

tentacles
11-19-2006, 10:49 PM
JD power is not the best thing to go by IMO, problems per 100 cars is not a good way to measure reliability. They do not say what the problem is. Let's say for example your tranny or engine blows in the Jag, and a headlight bulb goes in a Lexus. Each rack up one "problem" with one being almost a non-issue and the other one being major.

I'm really tired of hearing this Mercedes/BMW/Audi salesman excuse. No offence to you personally, or any Euro-car owner, but if Euro cars are so fucking advanced that more stuff has to break, then what were their ratings 10 years ago? According to Top Gear (and I'm using Jeremy Clarkson because JD doesn't have past year info public) in 1994 Benz ranked #1 in their brand surveys, way above Toyota or Honda. So what happened? Were Benz cars really simple and primitive 10 years ago compared to Toyotas, or did JD Power decide one year that they don't like Euro cars anymore and shitcanned the whole lot? How come Lexus was #1 the first year it came out and has been for every single year? I know new Lexuses are much more advanced than the 1988 models, but somehow Lexus owners (Alan Mulally, Bill Gates, Steven Spielberg, etc) are just not smart enough to complain while eagle eyed Benz and BMW drivers can spot every little thing as soon as it falls off?

All the horror stories I've read or heard, the glovebox on brand new S600s being so flimsy that you have to press on the lock to close properly, the check engine light coming on as soon as the car leaves the lot for a test drive, the sunroof BREAKING during the test drive for a brand new M-class, the whole "they're just ranked lower because they're more complex" argument just isn't convinving.

C4S
11-19-2006, 10:58 PM
those r good car, and good price ..
They are like over $100K new, and look at that 05 one, $60K only ! so cheap .. I guess some 03-04 may be $40K range ..

Um .. however, can't use ebay price as reference ... some PS3 go for $10K US ... ( I think those are fake ) so .. :dunno:

Mitsu3000gt
11-20-2006, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by tentacles

I'm really tired of hearing this Mercedes/BMW/Audi salesman excuse. No offence to you personally, or any Euro-car owner, but if Euro cars are so fucking advanced that more stuff has to break, then what were their ratings 10 years ago? According to Top Gear (and I'm using Jeremy Clarkson because JD doesn't have past year info public) in 1994 Benz ranked #1 in their brand surveys, way above Toyota or Honda. So what happened? Were Benz cars really simple and primitive 10 years ago compared to Toyotas, or did JD Power decide one year that they don't like Euro cars anymore and shitcanned the whole lot? How come Lexus was #1 the first year it came out and has been for every single year? I know new Lexuses are much more advanced than the 1988 models, but somehow Lexus owners (Alan Mulally, Bill Gates, Steven Spielberg, etc) are just not smart enough to complain while eagle eyed Benz and BMW drivers can spot every little thing as soon as it falls off?

All the horror stories I've read or heard, the glovebox on brand new S600s being so flimsy that you have to press on the lock to close properly, the check engine light coming on as soon as the car leaves the lot for a test drive, the sunroof BREAKING during the test drive for a brand new M-class, the whole "they're just ranked lower because they're more complex" argument just isn't convinving.

I agree with alot of what you said, but the proof is driving them all and essentially unanimous decisions by every major car magazine. They always win. There has to be a reason for that. Just like there has to be a reason why other cars depreciate 70 grand in a few years.

Also, I think these days, you can go out and buy any 2007 or whatever car and it's going to be pretty reliable and last for several hundred K. Nobody makes absolute crap anymore, just some better than others.

In 1994 benz didn't have nearly the stuff they have now on their cars, but they had a fair bit. Lexuses are friggen reliable, nobody is disputing that at all. They just don't break haha.

You can find any of the problems you mentioned with any car/brand if you look for them. Every single manufactuer has plenty of horror stories from individuals, articles, reviews, etc. etc. you just need to go looking for them. Every manufactuer is also capable of making a lemon. Mercedes and some other german cars actually do have dissapointingly weak glove boxes and sun visors, I agree there, I don't know why. Nothing I can say there.

To me, there is something to be said about a brand new car that squeaks/creaks over bumps - like the jag and every american car ive driven. Every single one, when driven over railroad tracks or rough road just creaked away. Most german/high end jap cars do not make any noise over bumps like that from my experience. All you should hear is a mild thud under the tires. I'm not saying they are the most reliable cars for the little cheap crap like glove boxes, cup holders, etc. etc., but I do think they are screwed together the best. I'm talking about the main car, not necessarily a cup holder or glove box. They are just so solid. Their doors weigh like 200lbs lol. I really like that for some reason.

I'm not trying to say the Jag is a bad car, I just think it isn't in the same leage as the competition it's up against, and it's price reflects that. I've driven it and all it's competition and it did not stand out at all for me, but thats just my opinion. It is also the opionion shared by pretty much every car magazine. But that is why they are 30 grand used. For 30 grand, if the audi S4 didn't exist, I'd probably look long and hard at the S type R; that is a good deal.

Mitsu3000gt
11-20-2006, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by C4S
those r good car, and good price ..
They are like over $100K new, and look at that 05 one, $60K only ! so cheap .. I guess some 03-04 may be $40K range ..

Um .. however, can't use ebay price as reference ... some PS3 go for $10K US ... ( I think those are fake ) so .. :dunno:

Off topic, but I think I read somewhere that some guy made a fake Ebay account and bid 10 or 15 grand on every single PS3 for sale so nobody could get them haha.

Also, in the states, people waiting in lines overnight were getting robbed because they wouldn't leave their place in line and also they were guaranteed to have money/wallets on them.

pinoyhero
11-20-2006, 06:59 AM
Thanks gus doesn't really sound like any reason not to buythis car so far as this board goes ...