PDA

View Full Version : Previous Accident Not On My Drivers Abstract?

oneday
11-20-2006, 12:53 AM
I'm in Alberta. In May of 2006 I was in a minor car accident (it cost me $200 to repair my car) but my insurance went up from 155 a month to around 230 or so. My insurance company told me that the fault would be with me. At the scene of the accident the officer gave me a ticket for failing to proceed safely after stopping at a stop sign. When I went to pay the ticket at the courts (June 30th, my last day to do it) the courts told me they never received this ticket so I don't have to pay it but the police have another 6 months to reissue. 6 months is almost up but no ticket has been reissued.

I recently bought a driver's abstract on myself to see what it said. There is only a single speeding ticket on it (unrelated to my accident). My accident is not on it, nor is my ticket for failing to proceed safely after stopping at a stop sign.

I have been unemployed for the last 5 months and I canceled my auto insurance about 4 months ago. Now I need to get auto insurance again.

My question is, do all insurance companies share information about at fault claims? Is my drivers abstract what they use to determine if I have been in an accident? All the car insurance estimates I have gotten involved the question of "have you ever had an at fault claim?".

Any advice would be appreciated on how I should got about getting insurance again. Thanks in advance.

FiveFreshFish
11-20-2006, 12:59 AM
Answer truthfully about the at-fault claim. If you don't and some day need to file a claim, they could void your policy if they find out you lied.

I don't know if the insurance companies share info or not. :dunno:

Cruz
11-20-2006, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by oneday
My accident is not on it...

Is my drivers abstract what they use to determine if I have been in an accident?

Accidents do not show up on your abstract.

oneday
11-20-2006, 01:03 AM
A truthful reply was my plan. I never fought the ticket either because I was at fault. I was just curious how it worked. I was thinking along the lines of how "at fault" is determined, and if I received no ticket does that change at all whether my claim is just a claim and not an at fault claim?

oneday
11-20-2006, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Cruz

Accidents do not show up on your abstract.

Ah. I notice some jobs ask for a clean driver's abstract -- I guess they are just checking for tickets then. Does an employer have a way to check for accidents or at fault claims?

I guess I'm lucky my failure to proceed safely after stopping at a red like ticket has not gone through (knock on wood).

LilDrunkenSmurf
11-20-2006, 01:06 AM
Your still at fault, you just didn't receive a ticket from the police. You could still receive that ticket if you weren't in an accident, i've heard two things: police must give a ticket to at-fault at an accident, or they give them to at-fault, in order to give reason to being there.

Not sure which is true, don't care.

FiveFreshFish
11-20-2006, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
Your still at fault, you just didn't receive a ticket from the police. You could still receive that ticket if you weren't in an accident, i've heard two things: police must give a ticket to at-fault at an accident, or they give them to at-fault, in order to give reason to being there.

Not sure which is true, don't care.

The police can issue a ticket at their discretion.

Masked Bandit
11-20-2006, 08:08 AM
Whether the ticket is there or not is irrelevant. Insurance companies maintain a database called Auto-Plus to track all of your prior insurance history in Alberta. There are things like accidents, payment problems & how many different insurance companies you have been with.

The government or police DO NOT have access to this database. The only people that can access it are insurance people. If your rates went up after the accident I will guarantee that it will show up on Auto-Plus.

SilverBoost
11-20-2006, 09:22 AM
My insurance companies have usually made it a policy to get an abstract from my previous insurance company, if I've switched for some reason. There is no hard and fast rule here. They all just do what they do.

Be as honest as you need to be. Accidents are one thing, but if you forget to mention a small speeding ticket you might have gotten a few years ago I doubt it'd have much of an impact. A reckless driving offense or something serious like that though would need to be mentioned. Nobody forgets that shit.

Supa Dexta
11-20-2006, 10:10 AM
ok heres one, say your car got hit while parked in your yard.. You had no insurance on it, but the other guys paid for it, as he was at fault... So you never had a company batting for you, and they wouldn't know about it...? And even though it wasn't your fault, I was under the impression it went on your record just to show your history, it wouldnt go against you, it was just there to see? is that right?

And I believe insurance only wants to know about moving violations? speeding etc.. I told them about a seatbelt ticket I got a few yrs back and they laughed at me and said they didnt care... :dunno:

SilverBoost
11-20-2006, 10:56 AM
^^^

k, here's my reply to that.

When I lived in Ontario, I lived in an aprartment with a long hidden driveway. It was pitch black back there at night. Well one night I ran out real quick and reversed and wham-o hot some Montana that was parked at the end of my driveway. :dunno: who the hell knows why she was there. Anyway, I left a note and went on.

I get a call a day later, thanking me for leaving the note. I ask why she was parked there, but anyhow, not pertinent to the story. I say I'd rather not go through insurance becaue the damage looked small. - I just pushed in a piece of plastic on the bumper cover, that's it. So she agrees to get me some quotes.

A week later she calls with some quote of $2500! I tell her, if that's the price then I'll take it though insurance. She says she'll get another one. Next one comes in at $1500. I tell her that that's a pretty big jump - but it sounded suspicious to me, so I stright up tell her that unless it's $500 or less then it's going through insurance. She says fine, and I call my insurance company and report it.

My insurance company was quite interested in where she was parked and why she was there, but anyhow they said, they would wait to hear back frmo her insurance company before they moved on it.

A MONTH goes by, nothing. Finally I call my insurance company back and they say that they've never heard back from this woman's insurance claim and that it wuld not effect me if it didn't actualy go through.

In the end I think this chick wa strying to soak some cash out of me and realized that in an accident liek that on my property, that it may not have gone her way in the end, so she didn't pursue it once it went there.

The point of this long story is that, even though I reported hitting this vehicle, there isn't any record of it on my abstract. So there is no history of it so to speak. I didn't put in a claim on my truck because it literally barely made a scratch on my bumper. This incident has never affected my rates.

Annoyingrob
11-22-2006, 07:53 AM
^^ Ontario is funny like that. They have strange laws basically making other drivers at fault if they park in places they shouldn't.

When I lived in Ontario, the neighbour across the street from my house would always park their car on the street despite their massive driveway. One day, my mother reversed out, and did a bunch of damage to their car (none to hers). She called the insurance company, and the other owner was placed completely at fault because they were parked by the curb on a side of the road with no sidewalk (you were supposed to leave the road clear for pedestrians). Nothing happened with my mom's insurance.

Of course, that's Ontario.

To oneday: If your rates went up, they already know about the accident. It's there, there's nothing you can do about it.

magicalpoop
10-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Bumping thread....

In short...

I was given a careless driving ticket two years ago in an accident that I was at fault for (TBH it was a grey area accident).

Police officer withdrew the ticket.

Insurance ultimately said I was 100% at fault.

I have never paid for a ticket other than Tint in my life nor
have I been found/pleaded guilty to any other traffic violations.

Would that accident/withdrawn ticket show up on my drivers abstract?

TY

guessboi
10-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Accident should be on your insurance record.
Ticket won't be there...you were not convicted.

Masked Bandit
10-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Wow, there's a bump from the dead!