PDA

View Full Version : ip address

signature7
11-20-2006, 10:29 PM
I was just wondering, when people buy things on the net it says ip address recorded to prevent fraud, i was wondering how ip addresses work and can they be traced by normal means like if i found out an ip address could i track down the address of where it was coming from and do ip addresses change or are they constant, like say at my house its always the same ip..

thanks for helping a newb

jasonrx-7
11-20-2006, 10:31 PM
You wont be able to track down a specific house, or street. however if you need any IP's traced i do that at work.
I can track IP's to the city, and can go to a few block radius!
So send them over and i will trace them sun-thursday!
IP's are a code that is set to identify your computer.
Ip's only change if your "internet provider" does so.

signature7
11-20-2006, 11:03 PM
oh i see, haha i dont need any ips to trace but i was just wondering cause i bought some stuff online and i saw this message "your ip is recorded" but say if someone did steal my credit card info how woudl they track them down if it's only a raduis pin point?

frostyda9
11-21-2006, 12:11 AM
Here is a brief explanation:

"Check if the IP address matches the email address and physical billing address of the customer. The IP address identifies the location of the server where the order was placed. Numerical IP addresses can be checked through programs such as WsPing32. The IP address database is constantly being updated, so it is sometimes incomplete and inaccurate. Matches may not occur if the card holder is traveling, or using a business card from a company branch located in a different city or country. The merchant should be concerned if a server address is located in one country, and the card holder's address is in another country. Check if the billing address, for example, [email protected], matches the IP address from the block of IP numbers owned by AOL. If the fraudster is using an AOL address, the merchant can call the fraud department at AOL directly at 1-800-265-8003

There is a high correlation between IP addresses labeled as spam sources and credit card fraud.

The web site http://www.all-nettools.com/ can be used to check IP addresses. SmartWhois finds information about an IP address or hostname, including country, state or province, city, name of the network provider, administrator, etc. Traceroute determines the path between your website and the person placing the order. It matches each machine along the path to a destination host and displays the corresponding name and IP address for that hop."

It's not so much of a way to track someone down, as it is to flag an order as suspicious before shipping it.

cityhunter2501
11-21-2006, 09:30 AM
I'm just wondering, but those MAC address get recorded aswell

signature7
11-21-2006, 10:49 AM
when you send an e-mail to someone can they find out your ip address?

codetrap
11-21-2006, 10:50 AM

codetrap
11-21-2006, 10:51 AM

signature7
11-21-2006, 11:03 AM
really? how can you find out, is it in the e-mail? and what do you mean by forged

Originally posted by codetrap

You can, but it's unreliable as it can easily be forged.

codetrap
11-21-2006, 02:21 PM

forced14
11-21-2006, 07:15 PM
It becomes slightly more difficult to trace down an end host IP address when they start using an anonymous proxy.