PDA

View Full Version : Registering a home-built vehicle.

schurchill39
11-21-2006, 01:53 AM
I am thinking of doing a little project over the winter here with my dad and a few friends but before I start I have a question.

How do you go about insuring and registering a home-built vehicle? I went to my local registry office and they didn't know anything except that I would need to pay around $500 for a vin number. Besides that, they gave me a phone number to call (that didn't work.)

I went to my insurance company when I was getting a quote on different insurance for my truck and asked them but again, they didnt have any answers for me either.

I would assume that it would need to have all the reqired lights such as headlights, signal lights and stop lights. On top of that it would probably need to pass a safety inspection then get the vin. Am I right to assume this or what else am I missing?

Its the same concept as building a custom hot rod or chopper. It cant be to hard to get it road legal can it?

Any input from some one who has done this before. A cost break down would help alot to. Are there any specific things a home-built vehicle needs to have to make it road legal?

Thanks!

SilverBoost
11-21-2006, 09:24 AM
PM War, I think his had to be registered as a home built. :dunno: Not 100% sure.

rage2
11-21-2006, 09:48 AM
You have to go to district one where the stolen vehicle dept works. Go with receipts of parts and pics of your car and they'll issue you a homebuilt VIN #. Then you insure and register.

Arthur Dent
11-21-2006, 09:58 AM
Here is a some great AB info: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55

basically you need recipts for all the parts (VIN numbers of the cars pulled from helps too for engine, wheels, etc). Then get a VIN. Then an inspection - similar to an out of province inspection.

Cword
11-21-2006, 01:45 PM
The two big steps are the VIN assignment and the Out of Province. Since it's never been registered technically it's "out of province"

Alberta Infrastructure Specialty and custom Vehicle information (http://www.infratrans.gov.ab.ca/Drivers_%26_Vehicles/Motor_Vehicle_Inspection_Program/Special_Interest_and_Custom_Built_Vehicles.htm)

Give a rod shop a call, they are experienced with the hoops because it's become a way of life over the last couple of years.
Some Calgary rod shops

The Rod Shop
Allan Rod and Custom
Temple of Torque

schurchill39
11-22-2006, 12:26 AM
It will also stop the registration of vehicles and trailers using non-repairable components. These vehicles do not qualify for an approved VIN.

Does this mean I cannot use pieces from a writen off vehicle such as the engine, tranny, steering components etc. (given that I have a bill of sale for the parts)

or

for example if a bike is writen off because the frame broke in half so it was given non-repairable status, that status is only on the frame and everything else is fair game?