PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with Leica?

Mitsu3000gt
11-21-2006, 09:51 AM
I was just wondering where Leica stands in the digital camera world. They don't have many cameras, and the M8 is like $5000 USD, but it is small and looks like a camera from 50 years ago. What makes them so expensive and how do they stack up against Nikon and Canon? I've heard their lenses are very good but are you paying for the name? or is that actually a camera comparable with things like the Nikon D2x which is also about $5000?

I was just curious, as I never hear of anyone buying these.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-21-2006, 09:57 AM
Leica is 50% name, 50% cult following. Leica fans like them because they never really change, they just improve/perfect the old rangefinder formula. I think of Leica as the Porsche 911 of the camera world - not a stellar, original design, but they keep improving it little by little - to the point where it creates its own little niche market. Hasselblad MF cameras are much the same (minus the H2D/H3D), the design never changed much in 50 years or so, but they're still excellent cameras.

mo_money2supe
11-21-2006, 10:02 AM
Leica's a big name in digital surveying equipment. My guess is they've changed scope in their line of business because the commercial camera market has too many competitors.

Mitsu3000gt
11-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the quick replies, that answers my questions.